Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Landwalk, much like protection from colors, is boring, noninteractive, and totally deserves to get phased out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Kasonic posted:

Landwalk, much like protection from colors, is boring, noninteractive, and totally deserves to get phased out.
Yeah, having a card being either incredibly great or completely useless 2/5ths of the time seems pretty silly. I suppose protection has some use as a safety valve if mono-X decks become absolutely dominate, but I feel like they've figured out better ways to do that. Landwalk doesn't seem to even have that.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

quote:

April 28, 2014, DCI Banned & Restricted List Announcement
Announcement Date: April 28, 2014

Standard, Modern, Extended, Legacy, Vintage:
No changes

:toot:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Wizards formally announced the Pantheon Packs existing in today's Arcana, pretty neat. Glad they did this thing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zorak posted:

I hope the entire set has Theros themed versions of all the wraths, that'd be sick.

I hope one of the cards in the set is Mogg Infestation that somehow has Theros-themed artwork for no discernible reason.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Uh, is there going to be a separate announcement for Theros Block Constructed? I don't know anyone looking forward to coverage of Pro Tour: Elspeth.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Combo decks will likely not be top tier as long as Thoughtseize is in standard. An incredibly commonly played one-drop staple in every top tier deck that incidentally houses your chance of victory by ditching a piece of your combo is pretty rough.

Couldn't the same be said of the eternal formats? Thoughtseize exists there too yet combo decks are still all over the place.

Or is it just that the card isn't as played as much?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

Couldn't the same be said of the eternal formats? Thoughtseize exists there too yet combo decks are still all over the place.

In Legacy, there's all sorts of ways to deal with Thoughtseize like effects to keep consistent, so those combo decks continue to exist, but they require a tad more thought.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AnacondaHL posted:

Uh, is there going to be a separate announcement for Theros Block Constructed? I don't know anyone looking forward to coverage of Pro Tour: Elspeth.

Elspeth wishes she was as oppressive as Lingering Souls!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

qbert posted:

Eternal format combo cards are more powerful and resilient to Thoughtseize than Standard's combo-ish cards.

Thoughtseize isn't played "as much" in eternal formats, but that's because it was in a ridiculous ~40% of decks this past Standard season.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jonked posted:

Yeah, having a card being either incredibly great or completely useless 2/5ths of the time seems pretty silly. I suppose protection has some use as a safety valve if mono-X decks become absolutely dominate, but I feel like they've figured out better ways to do that. Landwalk doesn't seem to even have that.
Protection has been grandfathered in and is popular enough that it persists, but it a dumb random grab-bag of abilities that would never have been designed the way it is under current standards. I much prefer something like Fiendslayer Paladin, which has a more limited set of abilities that are plainly spelled out.

Also: boo to hexproof, bring back shroud!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In eternal formats, you typically have redundancy in your combo decks, which is much harder to achieve in Standard. Being able to run both Twin and Kiki Jiki, or Birthing Pod and Chord of Calling makes cards like Thoughseize much less effective. In Standard, you don't have that redundancy since so few cards are legal and they actively try to prevent it from happening, so if Thoughtseize takes a critical card you only have 3 other copies of it to draw.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Thinking about it, will Thoughtseize ever be as valuable as it is now? When it's done in standard, won't there be plenty out there for modern players? Won't supply outstrip demand?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just getting into Magic, went to a pre-release and won about half my matches, it was fun. What should I buy if I wanted to get into playing Friday Night Magic and not be totally outclassed? I have about 8 booster packs but that's about it. I can go into detail about what cards I have if that helps.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thinking about it, will Thoughtseize ever be as valuable as it is now? When it's done in standard, won't there be plenty out there for modern players? Won't supply outstrip demand?

I imagine it'll bottom out around rotation and then slowly pick up over time, much like the Shocks.

It'll also probably jump up next season when less Theros is getting opened, as well.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Golden Goose 2

Artifact Creature

2,T: Put a Gold token onto the battlefield. This token has "sacrifice this: add (1) to your mana pool."

"Let's crack it open!" Goblin Tinkerer, last words.

3, T, sac Golden Goose: Put 2 Gold Tokens onto the battlefield. These tokens have "sacrifice this: add (1) to your mana pool." If not used by the end of your turn, exile them.

(1/1)

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

BizarroAzrael posted:

People tend not to sell their Modern staples when they rotate out of Standard, and those that do get quickly bought out by people either trying to get their hands on them before the inevitable climb and/or speculators looking to try to get a good return a few years down the line. As such, Modern & Legacy staples don't really dip much at all at rotation.

I actually think we're near the bottom on Thoughtseize right now since they're still entering the market after having done so for some time, but will soon 'rotate' out of drafts what with Conspiracy and M15 just a few months out. They'll still be very relevant in the Theros/Duck Standard environment assuming there's room for black to be played at all, but nobody will be opening them in significant numbers anymore; look for them to go up some (~$20 is my guess) during the next block and hold near that price at rotation.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 28, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Promoted Pawn posted:

People tend not to sell their Modern staples when they rotate out of Standard, and those that do get quickly bought out by people either trying to get their hands on them before the inevitable climb and/or speculators looking to try to get a good return a few years down the line. As such, Modern & Legacy staples don't really dip much at all at rotation.

I actually think we're near the bottom on Thoughtseize right now since they're still entering the market after having done so for some time, but will soon 'rotate' out of drafts what with Conspiracy and M15 just a few months out. They'll still be very relevant in the Theros/Duck Standard environment assuming there's room for black to be played at all, but nobody will be opening them in significant numbers anymore; look for them to go up some (~$20 is my guess) during the next block and hold near that price at rotation.

This same exact advice applies to the rare land cycle so a gentle reminder but Don't Be That Guy who is stunned when all of the Theros block dual lands jump up in price massively later on this fall because the set is no longer being drafted. Pick up your Scrylands and Mana Confluence before this happens. Maybe not Mana Confluence.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Thoughtseize sees more Modern play than Standard play. Any card that is used in an eternal format is going to only increase in price with time once it leaves Standard for some period, due to the expanding playerbase. Chances are it won't dip once it leaves Standard, and it'll slowly creep back up again. Take a look at Snapcaster Mage for example.

Remember that Magic is basically undergoing an explosion of popularity; it's growing at basically the fastest rate since it first came out. This is the huge driving factor for card prices in eternal formats, combined with their overall availability. More and more people want to get in, while the card availability is relatively low.

On the other hand, Mutavault is probably going to drop down from now since while it is played in Modern, it's not widespread, while in Standard it is auto-include in every single deck at the moment.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yeah, I bought my playset of thoughtseize in today at $13 each, it might go down a few more dollars after rotation but this is basically the bottom of what thoughtseize is going to go.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In other Modern staple news, it looks like shocklands are starting to creep up, and those are also things that probably won't drop come rotation.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

I'm just getting into Magic, went to a pre-release and won about half my matches, it was fun. What should I buy if I wanted to get into playing Friday Night Magic and not be totally outclassed? I have about 8 booster packs but that's about it. I can go into detail about what cards I have if that helps.
Anyone?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

What's your budget?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is a product for entry level FNM play known as Event Decks and as I understand it the Born of the Gods Event deck is one of the better ones they've put out in awhile. Its theoretically viable for FNM play straight out of the box but depending on how competitive the scene is at your local store it might not be. Either way taking a trip down there and finding out about their FNM scene and maybe picking one up would be a great foot in the door.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Promoted Pawn posted:

What's your budget?
I probably have about $60.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

It's hard to say, because it really depends on how competitive your local FNM is - different game stores attract different crowds, and it could be anything from a bunch of kids just playing what they open, all the way to grinders testing what they hope to be GP-winning lists. It's difficult to give good advice on what's appropriate or necessary in order to be competitive without knowing just how competitive your store is.

The first thing to check is to see what format your store uses for FNMs - if they're just drafting you don't need to build anything, just read up a little on the draft format so you know what to expect.

The other thing to consider is what your budget for this is. Presumably you're willing to spend a little money if you're going to be paying for FNM every week, but when it comes to building a deck there's a big difference in what should do depending on how much money you're willing to drop in up-front and how much you're willing to keep spending on it as you go.

That said, you can probably put together a reasonably competitive "budget deck" for under $30. You would be at a disadvantage compared with anyone using a fully monied-up deck, but not overwhelmingly so. That'd get you by while you figure out how competitive your local store is, and then in a month or so when we know for sure what the key decks are going to be you can decide whether you want to spring for something more expensive and can choose one that fits how you want to play.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

bowmore posted:

I probably have about $60.

I would echo the Event Deck recommendation then. Most Standard netdecks sit in the $150-$350 range. It won't get you into the top tables with any regularity unless absolutely nobody is taking it seriously, but you should be able to have fun with it if that's all you want.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

I would echo the Event Deck recommendation then. Most Standard netdecks sit in the $150-$350 range. It won't get you into the top tables with any regularity unless absolutely nobody is taking it seriously, but you should be able to have fun with it if that's all you want.

alternatively, play mono-red aggro and shithouse decks that cost 6x as much as yours

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A big flaming stink posted:

alternatively, play mono-red aggro and shithouse decks that cost 6x as much as yours
That sounds like fun!

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

bowmore posted:

That sounds like fun!

I looked at the black Born of the Gods event deck and that looks like a good start for a black beatdown deck. I only play casual modern so my eye might be wrong.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bowmore posted:

That sounds like fun!

Here's a possible deck list. It's 80 due to the Boros reckoners in the sideboard, but you could cut those and maybe replace those with Ember Beasts if you want to cut it back to around 50 bucks.

modified mono red aggro

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Anyone use prophetic flamespeaker this weekend? I opened one at the 2hg but we ended up both building durdle decks which he didn't really fit into.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Interesting that Constellation was originally the Azorius mechanic in RTR

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I wasn't able to go to a pre release, so I'm happy that I can still maybe get one in the box I have coming to me Friday. :3:

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007
So I went to the Journey into Nyx pre-release on Saturday. I came 35th out of 40.

I'm not sure whether this is due to me just being terrible or if my deck was just really bad.

This is the deck I used. I actually found it fun to play, even if it didn't win me many games - does anyone have any advice on how to maybe turn this into an okay 60-card Standard deck?

My budget's about £40, but I do have a bunch of Standard legal cards already.

Yuki Akuma fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 28, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Yuki Akuma posted:

So I went to the Journey into Nyx pre-release on Saturday. I came 35th out of 40.

I'm not sure whether this is due to me just being terrible or if my deck was just really bad.

This is the deck I used. I actually found it fun to play, even if it didn't win me many games - does anyone have any advice on how to maybe turn this into an okay 60-card Standard deck?

Maybe something like this? http://www.gatheringmagic.com/playing-on-a-budget-standard-bluegreen-flash/ - take out shocks/temples/mutavaults for basic lands and guildgates and it's probably like a £15-20 deck.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Yuki Akuma posted:

Off the top of my head:

1) There's nothing to really make an opponent go "oh god, I have to deal with this right now or I will die". The quickest win condition seems to be to Voltron a couple of creatures onto War-Wing Siren and hit it with Aerial Formation and swing for a whole bunch, but that would require you to be very lucky with your first few cards. Having something like Scourge of Fleets or Heroes' Bane to stick Aerial Formation on and swing for the kill would have given the deck a lot more late-game staying power. (Note that Standard games tend to be a lot quicker than draft but "something big to glue evasion to and go for the kill" is still a pretty sound principle in general for blue-green decks.)

2) Pyxis of Pandemonium is a goofy card that only really works if you abuse Scry to pre-stack the cards you'll be exiling. Otherwise you're paying a bunch of mana to exile and then bring back in a bunch of cards for no good reason.

3) Armory of Iroas would have been better served by a buff Instant or by another Bestow creature to match your Heroics.

4) Evanescent Intellect is kind of meh unless your whole thing is a mill deck. If you enchant a Heroic creature you want it swinging, not tapping, and if you enchant something else you probably won't use it anyway unless you have a deck made for it.

5) Nylea's Disciple would have been better replaced by a big beater or by something with an actually useful ability. Life gain by itself isn't worth giving up the other stuff a 4-mana creature can do.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
My playgroup just started playing Pauper commander, actually I think it's Peasant. 1 Uncommon commander, 9 uncommons and the rest commons. It's probably the most fun I ever had playing.

:effort:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
I had the worst prerelease ever this past weekend...it seemed like everyone around me got such better picks. My rares were Purphoros, Bow of Nylea, Temple of Malady and the black destroy all creatures that aren't enchantment creatures card. My first opponent went W/B and opened Athreos and Elspeth...those games didn't go well. My next opponent opened TWO of the new Ajani...I left after this match. I am sure someone else opened junk like me but I wasn't fortunate enough to play that person...

Did anyone else have bad luck like me? It was sad to even try to make a deck from what I was given as most of the cards I had were so expensive for the format. Even in U I ended up with only 1 creature and 6 U cards.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

My playgroup just started playing Pauper commander, actually I think it's Peasant. 1 Uncommon commander, 9 uncommons and the rest commons. It's probably the most fun I ever had playing.

We recently started doing this too, but it is ALL commons except the commander that is Uncommon. If you want to ruin everyone's fun just play Noxious Ghoul as your commander and build a zombie deck full of removal. My buddy did this and it is just plain obnoxious and unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Peasant commander is easily my favourite format. At the moment my favourite brews are Mother of Runes control, Bloodmark Mentor aggro, and Duskmantle Guildmage combo. I'm strongly considering a Scornful Aetherlich deck based around artifacts, but I'm not sure it'll be all that strong. Gamekeeper, Corpse Connoisseur, and Dryad Arbor can be fun, but are generally a too abusive. I also have a fairly highly polished Blistercoil Weird storm list, which is about as good as storm is going to get in a singleton format, but that's not really fun for anyone apart from as a novelty.

• Locked thread