Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Hipster Occultist posted:

Pure Strength?

Then yes, the club is pretty much your go-to weapon assuming you like the moveset.

I'm flexible, I'd be willing to go dex if I was recommended a great go-to weapon and armor set. I use club because it's crazy-strong right off the bat. The Drangelic Sword was my favored moveset, but I hear there's better ways to spend twinkling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Yeah, its kinda hard to just recomend something without knowing how you enjoy playing. That being said, full Havel's and a large club kicks a lot of rear end assuming you enjoy tanking bosses.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
My encumbrance has gone like 1% over 70 where before my rat attempts it was just under with the exact same equipment, I can't think what's caused it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm currently using the Elite Knight Armour, I read something about there being a clear upgrade path being EKA->Drangleic(?)->??? in the upper medium/low heavy range. Can anybody do a quick recap on how/where to get the latter sets?

Does this game have an equivalent to the Black Iron set in terms of it being a relatively light heavy armour that still rolled with Havel's/Giant's in terms of protection?

Last question at the moment, how do lances work? Are they bigger spears in that I can use them from behind my tower shield?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The Hanged Man posted:

Hmmmm yess sure.

now I'm in a dark forest... for some reason. There are grass things who spring at me from the ground and stone giants who can slow me down... for some reason. Also a giant butterfly boss waht is this poo poo

The shrubs are the feral forms of the shrub golems while the stone guardians are just moss-covered versions of themselves from way back in the days of Oolacile though? The butterfly just escaped from Seath's cave and settled there.

The only bosses that aren't explained are the Taurus and Capra. How the hell did the Taurus Demon get his fat rear end all the way to the burg?

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 28, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yeah, its kinda hard to just recomend something without knowing how you enjoy playing. That being said, full Havel's and a large club kicks a lot of rear end assuming you enjoy tanking bosses.

I would go caster, but on my first runthrough I blew Soul Vessels to try casting and found it very underwhelming. I'm happy dodge-tanking a boss and quickly whacking it with a weapon that takes out massive chunks of health, but going str early and holding onto the club seemed to be the easiest way to get whacking fast. I'm not so big on dumping tons of stats into equipment load, I'd rather have a medium-heavy set of good armor and a bunch into ADP. But for the moment, str heavy Club+5 seems to be too drat good.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

My encumbrance has gone like 1% over 70 where before my rat attempts it was just under with the exact same equipment, I can't think what's caused it.

Did you change rings? They have weight as well

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I've swapped out to lighter stuff and try to wipe the dogs with a greatsword swing.

This boss is such a loving cum stain, it can go gently caress itself. :darksouls:

My dumb trick was to never lock on and just guerrilla strike down as many rats as I could in a half bar of stamina and then run away for a bit. Took a couple tries to beat that phoned in fight though.

Aside from the rapier are there any good dex weapons early on in the game? I've just been using the Varangian sword for the damage and the Heide knight sword for halls because of the moveset. I'm roughly at each large soul fight and SL75 or so.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What are some good daggers I should look out for? I've never used them before, but I've been liking the regular one.

The Hanged Man
Oct 30, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The shrubs are the feral forms of the shrub golems while the stone guardians are just moss-covered versions of themselves from way back in the days of Oolacile though?

I guess it's a good thing the DLC came out to clear up this mystery, otherwise Dark Souls would be complete garbage

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Using the PC controls, how do you enter power stance?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The Hanged Man posted:

Hmmmm yess sure.

now I'm in a dark forest... for some reason. There are grass things who spring at me from the ground and stone giants who can slow me down... for some reason. Also a giant butterfly boss waht is this poo poo

:spergin: The butterfly and the crystal guys were there because of something about Seath the Scaleless, you see, and the stone knights and plant dudes were descendants of the guardian golems and magic gardeners from back when Darkroot Garden was part of Oolacile (and Oolacile had those because it was a magic fairytale kingdom or something) :spergin:

But you know what the belltowers in DkS2 need in addition to rear end in a top hat ganking players and mean little gnomes?

Giant mushroom men that punch your poo poo in.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

their lil poopers posted:

My dumb trick was to never lock on and just guerrilla strike down as many rats as I could in a half bar of stamina and then run away for a bit. Took a couple tries to beat that phoned in fight though.

Aside from the rapier are there any good dex weapons early on in the game? I've just been using the Varangian sword for the damage and the Heide knight sword for halls because of the moveset. I'm roughly at each large soul fight and SL75 or so.

The curved swords are easy to get and pretty good. You can buy falchions from leningrast. There's also whips and twinblades if you're cool.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I'm still a bit overwhelmed, since this is my first Souls experience. I've been clubbin' it as a warrior and these are my current stats :

I'm rocking a Homunculus +5 and Club +4, Knight Armor +1 and one of those pre-order shields which I've upgraded. So far I've been through Forest, Heide's, cathedral, wharf, Bastille, Sinner's. And I think I'm heading to Huntsman's next, since that seems to be recommended.

What stats should I focus on, if I want to be able to actually move, but bring the pain too? I like the clubs. Any recommendations for equipment / weapons?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So if Giants turn into giant trees when they die/give up/sleep/whatever, then Ash lake...

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Things that are really fun. Guard breaking someone hiding behind a tower shield in belfry luna and then swapping to a +9 dagger with the super high crit damage and one shotting them with the riposte :getin:

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Using the PC controls, how do you enter power stance?

Hold ctrl+mouse 3 is the default I believe (same key combination that lets you switch between onehanding and twohanding). It's less than ideal.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Metanaut posted:

I'm still a bit overwhelmed, since this is my first Souls experience. I've been clubbin' it as a warrior and these are my current stats :

I'm rocking a Homunculus +5 and Club +4, Knight Armor +1 and one of those pre-order shields which I've upgraded. So far I've been through Forest, Heide's, cathedral, wharf, Bastille, Sinner's. And I think I'm heading to Huntsman's next, since that seems to be recommended.

What stats should I focus on, if I want to be able to actually move, but bring the pain too? I like the clubs. Any recommendations for equipment / weapons?

Press select and it explains what each stat does. There are no bad stats per se, but watch what numbers change (and how much they change) when you toggle each one.

You seem to be doing fine though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

pmchem posted:

I've been using the Drangleic armor set ever since I found it, and I have 1.7m SM now (SL128 with 285k free souls). When will I find a straight upgrade on this awesome armor set, in terms of stats for the weight?

You run into a headless dude after the spider boss. He drops a comparative set to Drangleic. I don't know if you have to find his head first to trigger the fight. It's in Shaded Woods. Instead of navigating fog-hell, you can jump down with the cat ring from the cliff below the manscorpion's pit.

I haven't seen their full set yet, but Giant Knights drop some pretty good stuff for that weight class too. Their armour can be upgraded with regular shards instead of the twinkling crap.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 28, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I completely overlooked that guard breaks enable repostes at first. I noticed the sorta-slow wind up and immediately stopped using it. Well done, me! :saddowns::hf::downs:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Please don't wear Drangleic Armour. It's a dumb tube and everyone wears it.

Using it immediately disqualifies you from Fashion Souls. :colbert:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What are some good daggers I should look out for? I've never used them before, but I've been liking the regular one.

The regular one is extremely solid since it's one of two I know of that have 150 crit rating, the highest in the game. The other one is the mannikin knife from the mannikins in Earthen Peak, which is a little worse, but way cooler looking. There's the bandit knife, not nearly as good as in ds1, but still has a solid 130 crit rating and a bleed effect, which isn't too great honestly. I think there was one boss soul dagger, I'm thinking it was Mytha the Baneful Queen, but I have no experience with it. In NG+ there's a str scaling dagger that you can get by farming the adds in the flexile sentry fight if you're into that. That's all I can really remember off the dome.

Honestly though, the best answer to your question is none. The regular old dagger is pretty much the best in the game.

Attestant posted:

Drangleic set with the hunters hat and a rapier+parry shield begs to differ friend.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Attestant posted:

Royal Swordsman Armor w/ Alva Helm 4 lyfe :c00l:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There was a 7MB patch about 5 hours ago but I can't find any changelogs and steamdb.info doesn't shed any light at it either.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

There was a 7MB patch about 5 hours ago but I can't find any changelogs and steamdb.info doesn't shed any light at it either.

It's most likely some crash fixes, since that's the only thing they've actually said they'll patch

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Supposedly it was a patch for the HDMI related launch issues some people were experiencing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Attestant posted:

You're a dumb tube. :colbert: There is no character that does not benefit from the gloves and perhaps the pants with a bathroom flap on the front.

Especially nice with dual cesti because of the fat wrists.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you're looking for a longsword with the old movement set where R2 is a stab, the Sun Sword (which you get from SunBroing) fits the bill.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Attestant posted:

But it has a fancy cape.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Would I be better off with a lightning morningstar, magic morningstar, or an enchanted one? I'm not sure how much the scaling matters as opposed to sheer damage output.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is there a guide or did someone make a post about making a straight forward sword and board character.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I know DEX scaling is apparently bad, but is that also the case for power stanced weapons? Obviously, you'll get twice as much scaling and damage in general, but it costs twice the stamina. However, I don't think that's that much of an issue since most bosses and enemies only give you time to attack once or twice between their attacks, so it's great that you can dump almost your entire stamina pool in an instant.

I'm probably going to make a STR character next and see how it holds up in comparison.

A part of me wishes that there wasn't a respec system. I kind of feel like I could save myself time and reroll my current character to a STR one and play in NG+1, but that's kind of lame. Besides my current dude is named Jetstream Sam so it just doesn't feel right playing him as a STR guy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh man, forgot to check for this thread because I've been too busy actually playing this game. Wanted to post my love for GAVLAN WHEEL GAVLAN DEAL but it looks like the thread title beat me to it :allears:

Where can I get some good DEX weapons? I'm SL 90ish, 20 hours into the game, but still using a Rapier and Falchion. The damage is starting to drop off a bit and I'm looking for something that packs a harder punch.

I got an Old Knight Halberd, saw how it scaled with DEX, and got really excited. Enchanted it up to 5, only to notice it has 20 durability when I first used it to clear all the dogs at the bottom of Belfry Luna. Three swings and it was broken. It's too heavy to keep equipped all the time, but not enough durability to use reliably :(

I also enchanted up Ricardo's Rapier and was heavily disappointed in it's damage output, especially of it's special attack. So much wasted titanite :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
While on a whole I prefer the soundtrack of Dark Souls, I will say that Skeleton Lords and Executioner's Chariot have really awesome themes. Just further proves the superiority of skeletons.

HellCopter posted:

Of course. You want more than just a little blood. You want to be drenched in it, mired in its foul stench. Am I right?

(While I'm at it, Titchy Gren does not sound like what I'd imagine a bloodbro leader to sound like. He sounds like a guy you'd meet at the pub.)

I like him since he's basically the embodiment of chill darkwraiths; not concerned about winnign every fight, just want to have a good time killing everyone in the bloodiest way possible. Too bad the invasion covenant in this game is the exact opposite of chill.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 28, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

While on a whole I prefer the soundtrack of Dark Souls, I will say that Skeleton Lords and Executioner's Chariot have really awesome themes. Just further proves the superiority of skeletons.

Nice job, skeletons.

e: What level are you guys ending the game at btw? I'm level 90 and still only at one great soul, but it's starting to cost 13k souls a pop or so so I don't want to go any more dexterity than I have to when I could shove it into faith/int.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

euphronius posted:

Is there a guide or did someone make a post about making a straight forward sword and board character.

Other people will know a lot more than me about long term build stuff, but as a beginner's tip I'd suggest buying the Silver Eagle Kite Shield from Maughlin. It has the best DR until you can get Drangleic, and if you try to block with a lesser shield you'll be taking a lot of damage in the early game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Valley of Defilement 3.0 :gonk: :gonk: I can't see poo poo, I'm trying to light all the scones in pitch black darkness while all these innocuous statues are spitting goop at me and giant skinless dogs are tearing my testicles off.

Jack Trades posted:

It fixed the HDMI issue for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Other people will know a lot more than me about long term build stuff, but as a beginner's tip I'd suggest buying the Silver Eagle Kite Shield from Maughlin. It has the best DR until you can get Drangleic, and if you try to block with a lesser shield you'll be taking a lot of damage in the early game.

That's the first thing I bought!

I was more interested on what stats to boost I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sex Robot posted:

So today I found myself in a dark forest... for some reason. Full of fat assholes with moon shaped sword... for some reason. And had to fight spooky skeleton boss no.1 and spooky skeleton boss no.2 who are there for... no reason.

Jesus this is depressing.

Also just want to say this is stupid as hell and everyone complaining about lore needs to remember that this is a DARK SOULS game. Remember how most of the lore in these games is told? I'll give you a hint; it isn't through loving cutscenes that spell it out the second you enter an area. You have to read item descriptions and think about stuff to figure out what the purpose of it is. Just like in Dark Souls! :monocle:

I mean jesus I can tell you the purpose of everything in those areas just because I've actually bothered to read the item, boss soul, and weapon descriptions. But go ahead and keep complaining about the lore as if Dark Souls makes perfect sense when you ignore all that stuff as well.

EDIT: If I sound annoyed its only because people praise Dark Souls for this stuff but seem to have forgotten how it actually worked. You don't understand everything in Dark Souls if you go in blind. The same applies to Dark Souls 2. There are problems with the world in this game but it isn't the lore, its how all these area connect together.

EDIT 2: I really want to enjoy fashion souls but my character is incomplete without her Witch's hat. I saw a loading screen tip of a hat that is literally a classic black witch cap but I can not for the life of me find it anywhere.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

euphronius posted:

That's the first thing I bought!

I was more interested on what stats to boost I guess.

Probably take ADP to 25, Str to 40, Dex to at least 25-30, and the rest in Vit, VIg and End.
edit: only boost dex to a point where you can wield the weapon you want since some good swords need Dex to be wielded properly.