Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
They're not going to revamp SE anytime soon, they just did a massive reimagining of the ride like five years ago. Have you been on it recently? I honestly haven't noticed any huge issues every time I've ridden it; even the stupid screens have worked every time I've ridden it.

I doubt they're planning to change Universe of Energy any time soon either because despite how old it is, people still love Ellen and Bill.

Say what you will about the state of EPCOT but it's still massively popular in every sense of the word and Tom Fitzgerald would be committing career suicide if he were to change things TOO drastically. I agree that EPCOT is a joke of what Walt wanted but at the end of the day, people want to leave the parks happy. For all the flaws, EPCOT generally delivers on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Roar posted:

They're not going to revamp SE anytime soon, they just did a massive reimagining of the ride like five years ago. Have you been on it recently? I honestly haven't noticed any huge issues every time I've ridden it; even the stupid screens have worked every time I've ridden it.

I doubt they're planning to change Universe of Energy any time soon either because despite how old it is, people still love Ellen and Bill.

Say what you will about the state of EPCOT but it's still massively popular in every sense of the word and Tom Fitzgerald would be committing career suicide if he were to change things TOO drastically. I agree that EPCOT is a joke of what Walt wanted but at the end of the day, people want to leave the parks happy. For all the flaws, EPCOT generally delivers on that.

Universe of Energy could be redone and still use Ellen and Bill Nye. they are both still prominent in the public eye (Bill wasn't for a while, but he's makin' a comeback)

I really do enjoy the ride (especially for the use of the dinosaurs that in Disneyland are part of the railroad. It's nice to have a theme for them rather than just "here's a diorama we transplanted from the World's Fair") but it's dated as hell and needs some sprucing up.

I'd also love to see them do ANYTHING with the Wonders of Life pavilion. That it only gets used for the festivals is a shame. I remember someone telling me they thought it could be changed into a pavilion about weather and the study of it (which would be pretty interesting in Central Florida) and use the BodyWars simulators to bring a storm themed motion simulator ride (similar to what they have at TokyoSea) I'd LOVE that. I wish it were more than just a fellow Disney fan spouting ideas.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Universe of Energy could be redone and still use Ellen and Bill Nye. they are both still prominent in the public eye (Bill wasn't for a while, but he's makin' a comeback)

I really do enjoy the ride (especially for the use of the dinosaurs that in Disneyland are part of the railroad. It's nice to have a theme for them rather than just "here's a diorama we transplanted from the World's Fair") but it's dated as hell and needs some sprucing up.

It really was a massive stroke of luck for that ride that neither Ellen Degeneres nor Bill Nye ever really went away. Ellen's arguably more popular than ever, and while Bill doesn't have a TV show anymore he's still very much in the public eye. UOE hasn't needed to change because everyone still knows who Ellen, Bill Nye, Alex Trebek and stupid Judy Jamie Lee Curtis are. I don't think Universe of Energy really NEEDS much of an overhaul, anyway. An updated film might not be such a bad idea though.

Do a sequel where Bill Nye shows Ellen the magic of fracking.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can memory maker be purchased after a trip or only before? I regret not purchasing it for my trip last week.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Before only. You can purchase the photos a la carte, but the discounted package has to be purchased at least 3 days before the trip begins.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I don't know if this has been posted, but these are the rumored Free Dining Plan dates coming up

http://www.doctordisney.com/2014/04/30/updated-rumors-release-dates-free-disney-dining-2014/

Those 3 random weeks missing in the middle of October are the Food and Wine festival I believe. As someone who's done free dining the last 2 trips I've made, it is absolutely 100% worth it and I will never go without it again.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Free dining is going to be the death of me. It wasn't released today. We're being told that CMs are on overtime the next few days. Don't know if that's related to free dining or to the Mine Train opening today. I just wish Disney wasn't so secretive about it to travel agents. I would really like to be able to plan my day around spending 5 - 7 hours on hold, ya know?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Any DVC members that didn't have the cash to buy annual passes before the deadline yesterday, rejoice, the deadline was extended until sunday due to high call volume.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I love reading this thread and planning an eventual trip in the next couple of years - I have a 4 month old, and while my husband went to Disney when he was about 4, I've never been (had several opportunities that were all taken away from junior high to high school). Would it be worth it to get a Disney credit card and start using it for rewards points? I only have one, and don't get any rewards at all for that one, so I would like to start getting something that will be useful.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Anya posted:

I love reading this thread and planning an eventual trip in the next couple of years - I have a 4 month old, and while my husband went to Disney when he was about 4, I've never been (had several opportunities that were all taken away from junior high to high school). Would it be worth it to get a Disney credit card and start using it for rewards points? I only have one, and don't get any rewards at all for that one, so I would like to start getting something that will be useful.

I know that I've seen some great "ways to save for Disney" that involve the Disney credit card. I've tried to get it, but my credit isn't swell, and Chase denied me both times.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anya posted:

This sort of depends really. I have a Disney CC, and use it for purchases that I don't get better rewards on using other cards. I don't hardcore play the CC points game, but if Gas is 5% with Discover I use that card. I think of the 1% on the normal Disney card as sort of a forced cash back savings account for our Disney trip next year.

On average though my family puts around 1200 dollars a month through the card, and we have around 100 Disney reward dollars right now. We don't use debit or cash for anything, it all goes on one of our various reward credit cards. I also got a 100 dollar Disney gift card when I got the card as a bonus. So in the last 9 months I'm ahead 200 Disney bucks just by using this card instead of debit/cash

A few things about the card worth mentioning:

-Supposedly Chase is pretty picky about the credit profile on this card, I've heard it is one of the harder cards to get. They did start me off with a conservative credit limit compared to some of my other cards. I would make sure you have a 700+ score before applying

-If you spend a lot on gas/groceries consider the Premier version of the card, I kind of kick myself in the butt for not getting in considering 70% of my spending on the card is gas or groceries. There's a 49 dollar annual fee, but if you spend enough it is more than worth it.

- If you're willing to play the credit card game you can do better than the rewards on this card. It gets complicated though and not everyone wants to remember which of the 5 credit cards in their wallet will get them an extra 30 cents back on a certain transaction. Playing the game can add up though, in the last year since I started I've amassed about 600 dollars worth of points/cashback just by changing the way I pay for things.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hi, so free dining plan during September is a deal MAKER for me and my gf...do they have like a quota they hit before they shut it down? I.e. like braksgirl do I need to plan a date to be jamming f5 and trying to book?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yes, rooms are limited during free dining promotions.

If you're interested in it, you can book with me and I'll hang out on the phone for you. Costs you nothing extra and I do all the work. I'm going to be on the phone anyway.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
mmaaannn I am so tempted to book for free dining. Just a question of my class schedule. Maybe I could squeeze a long weekend

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

mmaaannn I am so tempted to book for free dining. Just a question of my class schedule. Maybe I could squeeze a long weekend

I'm hearing rumors that it's a minimum of 6 nights to qualify. I don't know how true that is yet.

And now I just read something else that says minimum 3 night stay. Ugh, this is such a mess.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 2, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

You are doing the Lord's work.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

You are doing the Lord's work.

Ya drat right. I've been on hold for an hour and a half so far for my one Chase Disney Visa client. Really hoping to get through soon. If I have to listen to the Soarin' music any longer I may just have to book my own Disney trip too. Pretty sure my husband would divorce me if I did since he said we were absolutely NOT going to Disney again this year.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Braksgirl posted:

If I have to listen to the Soarin' music any longer I may just have to book my own Disney trip too.

You're welcome.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Soaring is by far the most ridiculous wait at Epcot for what the ride truly is. Cool ride but not worth the 2-3hr wait.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

nbakyfan posted:

Soaring is by far the most ridiculous wait at Epcot for what the ride truly is. Cool ride but not worth the 2-3hr wait.

At least with the new fast pass system of "unlimited" passes you can do that. Also, its because Epoct lacks any real showcase rides. I did fastpass figment though since I was in Epcot for the flower and garden show.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I always FP Soarin'. It's my favorite. I won't wait 2-3 hours for anything.

Speaking of long waits, I heard from another travel agent that her 62 year old client got punched in the gut while in line to see Anna and Elsa. Apparently Granny couldn't make the sprint to get in line so she let her family go on ahead and she caught up. While she was trying to get in the queue and reunite with her family a dude got pissed and punched her.

Disney really needs to get a handle on this meet and greet thing.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Braksgirl posted:

Disney really needs to get a handle on this meet and greet thing.

Yeah.. but how? Insanely popular characters are going to attract huge lines. So then what? Put them in a building so that you can secretly have 10 elsa and annas... but then you dont have them outside attracting people's eyes. But I guess the story time with Belle is inside

soooo do that for Frozen?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The wait for any E-ticket attraction anywhere is stupid unless you have a Fastpass or go in the off-season. Soarin is just most obvious about it because of the cattle herding quarter-miles worth of queue.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

An "attraction-ized" Meet and Greet might be the best suited for Anna and Elsa, especially if Disney wants to keep meeting them together. Disney rarely does meet and greets with two talking characters pretty much for all the reasons Frozen has demonstrated. They talk to each other and guests, meaning more interaction time, so the line gets longer, so people in line decided they are taking their sweet rear end time when they get to the front, which means the line stays longer.

Do something like Enchanted Tales with Belle (or even her original Storytime thing where Merida is now) and give it show times so people know when to return.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Forgive me if this has been mentioned - How much are beers and such at Disney? Crazy over priced or on par with normal bars?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah.. but how? Insanely popular characters are going to attract huge lines. So then what? Put them in a building so that you can secretly have 10 elsa and annas... but then you dont have them outside attracting people's eyes. But I guess the story time with Belle is inside

soooo do that for Frozen?

Anna and Elsa are inside now at Fairytale Princess Hall in Magic Kingdom. I don't have any clue how they could manage the line, but they also don't pay me to figure it out. All I know is that if people are getting assaulted in line, it's time to formulate a better plan.

Tigntink posted:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned - How much are beers and such at Disney? Crazy over priced or on par with normal bars?

I would say they're on par with a typical bar. Probably around $10 - $15 for a mixed drink.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tigntink posted:

I got a bunch of drinks at Wilderness Lodge, they were usually 8-12. They were not fantastic but what are you gonna do. I didn't get anything in the parks, but I would imagine like everything just double the price. I think a 20oz pop is $3 or something.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

All I know is that if people are getting assaulted in line, it's time to formulate a better plan.

Oh if I could share some of the stories my brother in law tells me working for the global security team. Ranges from idiots getting into fights in line for characters to cross-dressing pedophiles and everything in between. Such a happy place.

Anyone going to the 24 hour event coming up this Memorial Day?

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
I'll be going!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Braksgirl posted:

I would say they're on par with a typical bar. Probably around $10 - $15 for a mixed drink.
No, the beer prices are largely terrible. $8.XX for a Stella because it was foreign or something. Same price for Racer 5 and other micros I recognized. The only decent-ish value I recall was at Epcot-Canada where a large glass of Fin du Monde was $10-11, which for the amount you get and how much it goes for even at Costco was acceptable.

The margarita sampler at Epcot-Mexico was a good deal for what you got. And the microbrew at Boardwalk was priced like a normal brewery so those prices were fine.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

So is it just completely impossible to get reservations to Be Our Guest unless you are doing it 180 days in advance?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

So is it just completely impossible to get reservations to Be Our Guest unless you are doing it 180 days in advance?

Nope, keep checking every day. People cancel reservations all the time.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Space Mountain feels precarious enough with the lights off.

You know what ride must be a BITCH to evacuate? Peter Pan.

Talking with people who have worked at Peter Pan, they can't even handle the evacuation. They call the fire department and they get everyone out.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Nope, keep checking every day. People cancel reservations all the time.

That's true, but for people that want BOG for sure, I make sure to book it on their 180 for the end of their trip. That usually gets good results.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm literally 180 days out and everything i'm trying to make reservations for is telling me to gently caress off. I don't know if the site just sucks or everyone else has a birthday on 10/30. I've tried like 8 different restaurants.

edit: Oh hey - after the 3rd time checking V&As in the last 4 days, it finally gave me some options. I think their site is just fubar.

edit2: tried to reserve it, it kicked me out of the site, and when i got back in the loving reservation was gone.

edit3: gently caress it. calling them.

edit4: tried calling and the line just auto hung up on me.

It really seems like they could have just contracted out Open Table and had a much better experience for users.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 4, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The MyDisneyExperience stuff is kind of bunk more often than not.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Do you want me to try?

Tigntink posted:

I'm literally 180 days out and everything i'm trying to make reservations for is telling me to gently caress off. I don't know if the site just sucks or everyone else has a birthday on 10/30. I've tried like 8 different restaurants.

edit: Oh hey - after the 3rd time checking V&As in the last 4 days, it finally gave me some options. I think their site is just fubar.

edit2: tried to reserve it, it kicked me out of the site, and when i got back in the loving reservation was gone.

edit3: gently caress it. calling them.

edit4: tried calling and the line just auto hung up on me.

It really seems like they could have just contracted out Open Table and had a much better experience for users.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Braksgirl posted:

Do you want me to try?

I'm going to call on Monday. When I tried a few more times, I finally got the automated recording that they don't take reservations on the weekend.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Does it have to be for dinner because lunch is pretty damned flexible. We go to BOG nearly every time we go to MK and the longest wait has been a half hour with a few walk straight in occasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

mearn posted:

Talking with people who have worked at Peter Pan, they can't even handle the evacuation. They call the fire department and they get everyone out.

This is half-right. Reedy Creek gets them out of the vehicles but CMs lead them through the ride path to the exits.