Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Gio posted:

i'm not trying to be all "gently caress the patriarchy" or w/e but in terms of gender stereotypes this is like the worst because guys are loving terrible in this respect too

Check your hockey privilege, shitlord.

But yeah, seriously, I agree. I've never seen women behave any differently really when it comes to hockey. We're all assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm Mr. Lady Byng, please and thank you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gio posted:

i'm not trying to be all "gently caress the patriarchy" or w/e but in terms of gender stereotypes this is like the worst because guys are loving terrible in this respect too

This is likely the most intelligent thing ever said in this thread

Just play with your friends and then when they turn into idiots kick them out of being your friend and the team

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

This is likely the most intelligent thing ever said in this thread

Just play with your friends and then when they turn into idiots kick them out of being your friend and the team

what if the idiot is coming from inside of you

(get it!!)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I'm so goddamned pissed at our work team tonight.

We go 12-0 in the regular season, win a few close ones and generally are a badass team that works really well together.

Playoffs started tonight in a win to keep in the running for the championship format. We proceed to lose to the worst team in the league 6-4. We doubled them up on shots but gave up some lovely 2-on-1's that they scored on and we couldn't put anything away.

I must've had 3 or 4 attempts from deflections while standing in the crease but I couldn't get under them enough to get above either the goalies pad or a body in front of the net.

So loving frustrating. :argh::suicide::argh:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I played hockey through middle school and ran my school's stick and puck intramural league in undergrad. I'm starting grad school in the fall and looking to get back into playing hockey for real. I know I've got a lot of skating work to do between now and then, but does anyone have any recommendations for off ice workout/conditioning programs?

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Relationship going to poo poo means play more hockey right? Turns out that it may have a positive effect on game performance as well. Not totally sure why but I did better Sunday's game and Monday's clinic than ever before despite having a terrible last week or so with my girl. :shrug: Hooray for more ice time!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

loving bro hug posted:

Relationship going to poo poo means play more hockey right? Turns out that it may have a positive effect on game performance as well. Not totally sure why but I did better Sunday's game and Monday's clinic than ever before despite having a terrible last week or so with my girl. :shrug: Hooray for more ice time!

More ice time turned my last relationship to poo poo (was bad for many other reasons anyway). I did what y'all should do and got a girl who plays hockey. Stick time/drop-in and a few beers afterward is now a date.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was at my in-laws for easter and myself, my wife, her sister & boyfriend, brother, and dad were all in the driveway shooting on their net with a 5 hole target seeing who got the first goal.
I made the first shot, the girls took 2-3 then got it, the boyfriend missed the net completely (and he kind of plays hockey). He might not be around very long.

My power skating clinic coach was also my wifes coach when she played growing up, and was my father in laws assistant coach.

I never have to worry about playing too much hockey. She understands.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

There's a women's league in the area:

http://www.wchlonline.com/teams/?u=WCHLONLINE&s=hockey&t=c

I've skated with some of them, they're pretty laid back.

I know nothing about what's available downtown, but Canlan Romeoville has a co-ed league this summer. I think it's already full though.

I beleive we're still short some women (and have a few that are rotating slots). I know my team only has something like four rostered women. After this coming week games will be sometime in the 5p-7p range start times and we have a habit of hanging out on thep atio afterwards.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I was thinking about posting this in Hockey: 102, but this is probably as good a place as any. What's the deal with the new trend of defenders slapping their sticks on the ice with a fair amount of force, usually as the opposing forward is breaking into the zone? Or when they've just pivoted or something.

This happens maybe three or four times a game, as far as I've noticed. And it's not something I saw before a year or two ago. I'm fairly confident this isn't a "move your stick quickly" thing because the slap of the stick to the ice seems pretty deliberate and forceful. And it's not a balance thing, or otherwise unintentional. It could be an attempt to try to block a pass or something, but I don't know why that tactic would have changed just in the last year or two.

Saw one of the minors guys do it at drop-in today but didn't get a chance to ask him about it.

edit: I also noticed a lot more in the Olympics tournaments. Both men and women's, though it seemed like the women's teams did it more. :iiam:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 22, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The only time I do that is when I try to get the other team to pass it to me without looking.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, this isn't like a banging though, it's more like a quick *whack* to put the stick down hard on the ice. It's kind of hard to describe. I'll have to see if I can find an example in one of tonight's games.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

More ice time turned my last relationship to poo poo (was bad for many other reasons anyway). I did what y'all should do and got a girl who plays hockey. Stick time/drop-in and a few beers afterward is now a date.

So envious.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
In the vein of the earlier conversation about seeing video of yourself playing I brought my gopro along to my last game. I haven't had a chance to go through the 90 minutes of footage yet but it did catch this gem from warmups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJjBaMoRzh0

I'm #6, the one who gives no fucks about my dead teammate

kill me now fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 23, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's awesome.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Some guy on another team in our league was nice enough to post this chirping fodder:

http://youtu.be/jkhbSNUll8I

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 23, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

Why would anyone bother to record something like that, and then keep it long enough to put on the internet?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Somebody get this guy an account and direct him to the thread, please.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Somebody get this guy an account and direct him to the thread, please.

It'd be useless, he'd never remember his login info.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I bet I've played against that guy. That looks like Kettler in Arlington and judging by the handle of the guy who posted it, it looks like he's from the DC area. There's this one douche who's bounced around a couple of leagues in the area because he does poo poo exactly like this (except he makes contact) and gets suspended/banned. Normally I don't wish ill on people but I hope that dude has a loving concussion and never plays again, he's such a piece of poo poo.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Got some new skates while I've been in the US - also picked up a game 3 hours after I land back in Australia. Jet lag be damned.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Ewic Windros is real!

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

kill me now posted:

In the vein of the earlier conversation about seeing video of yourself playing I brought my gopro along to my last game. I haven't had a chance to go through the 90 minutes of footage yet but it did catch this gem from warmups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJjBaMoRzh0

I'm #6, the one who gives no fucks about my dead teammate

I love how he just lays there. I love the jerseys, too. I wish my league let us pick out jerseys, instead of just being assigned a team color and handed an XL. :effort: I have to do the full tuck and then people probably think I'm trying to be Ovie or something.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Brettbot posted:

I love how he just lays there. I love the jerseys, too. I wish my league let us pick out jerseys, instead of just being assigned a team color and handed an XL. :effort: I have to do the full tuck and then people probably think I'm trying to be Ovie or something.

There is also usually the one coveted medium, which you will only receive if you are over 200lb.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Leaving for CAHA tournament in San Jose tonight. Anyone else going?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have a free weekend too, thanks for the invite

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Went to the local rink for a stick and puck and was the only one who showed. Got a net a bucket full of pucks an an hour and a half all to myself. It was awesome.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Fuuuuuck that's so cool

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That's always a good time. There was a rink in southern Illinois I lived 15 minutes from, and they would have s&p a few times a week, and several times that would be the case.

Then the rink closed permanently because the foundation cracked due to mining operations decades ago :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

I have a free weekend too, thanks for the invite

I wouldn't be able to take your bumblebee snark in person, sorry :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sellouts is as mean on the internet as he is a chill bro in real life.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Sellouts is as mean on the internet as he is a chill bro in real life.

Plus he can be your DD.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Leaving for CAHA tournament in San Jose tonight. Anyone else going?

Not this year.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

There is also usually the one coveted medium, which you will only receive if you are over 200lb.

The team we played tonight had one guy, maybe 6'2" 160? His jersey was so tight it was like a long-sleeve t-shirt. :staredog:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
2-1 win in coed beer league tonight. Was also my first time ever playing center because of an odd 11 skater setup. It was actually kinda nice to be able to free range a bit, just felt like I was gassed in the third.

My girlfriend also took some video of the game and I just kinda... lurch around, I guess. Looks like there's no urgency, but it feels like I'm putting a bunch into it. I know I'm not exactly fast, but it's just nuts to see.

I'll have to post the videos later so you guys can be all "bend your knees more"

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
We had a hell of a playoff game tonight. Went down 3-0 in the first, playing very flat. I scored the first one for us followed quickly by a teammate, 3-2 end of the first. The second was rough-- 3 more goals by the other team, 5-2 heading into the third. Pulled off a big comeback in the 3rd (2 A's for me, wooooo). 5-5 thorough OT, lost 1-0 in the shootout.

It wasn't a bad run considering that we were 3-11 going into the night playing the 2nd place team (out of 7). We had a few guys coming back from off weeks or suspensions, so I think we were just a bit rusty. Still, great game. Now it's time to enjoy some summer junk league goaltending-- or maybe bowling.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Brettbot posted:

I love how he just lays there.

he wanted to cool off any potential hot brain with the nearest source of ice.

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

Have any Long Island, NY goons played at the Twin Rinks at Eisenhower Park? It looks fantastic, but I haven't heard any of the adult leagues taking games there. Is it just being used as a facility for programs, and junior teams like the Gulls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CAHA tournament was fun. We lost 6-0, 7-1, won 6-1 and drank a shitload of beer.

Came home yesterday, played a league game late last night and another late game tonight. I am tired.