Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

Man I wish this had happened, although I wouldn't want to have to wait until 65 to get my Johnsoncare.

Renal failure makes it kick in regardless of age so get working on those kidneys.

Also Johnsoncare sounds like the punchline for a Your Mom joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Gen. Ripper posted:

Hahahaha look at you thinking the modern Democratic Party will ever divorce from the unholy trifecta of bipartisanship, compromise and moderation. :allears:

At least now we are starting to see Obama call out the republicans as assholes and make them look super dumb. Hell, even Boehner is calling the R caucus a bunch of crybabies. There is a good sized tone-shift going on in DC and I hope we can move past the "party of compromise" poo poo now that everyone knows that the republicans are just contrarian rear end in a top hat children.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Joementum posted:

It wasn't just that CO recall election and it wasn't just failing to publish polls they didn't like, they were dumping answers from polls and then publishing the rest of the results. They got called out on this by Cohn, Nate, and the Monkey Cage crew. It was enough for them to promise they wouldn't do it any more at the start of this year.

Weren't they also the ones to modify their results to fit the polling averages at the time?

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Nate Cohn had a piece last year questioning their methodology, which is what started the backlash. Like most TNR writers he's an idiot, and it was largely forgotten.

It is also impressive the ways in which partisanship warps the brain, regardless of what side you're on. Cohn wrote a piece that made a valid and substantive criticism of a dubious polling technique, but because it was aimed it a liberal polling outlet he's somehow a gigantic moron for doing

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Gen. Ripper posted:

Hahahaha look at you thinking the modern Democratic Party will ever divorce from the unholy trifecta of bipartisanship, compromise and moderation. :allears:

It's almost as if they suffer from a fatal belief in democracy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

dilbertschalter posted:

It is also impressive the ways in which partisanship warps the brain, regardless of what side you're on. Cohn wrote a piece that made a valid and substantive criticism of a dubious polling technique, but because it was aimed it a liberal polling outlet he's somehow a gigantic moron for doing

No it's more Cohn is actually kinda stupid and consistently demonstrates little understanding of the subjects he covers. Drew Linzer's take, which was that PPP uses a shrinkage estimator in weighting that might be problematic, is more on point. You're making the same assumption which you paint critics of Cohn's piece with: my problem isn't with PPP's lovely methodology, it's with Cohn not being the person to make that criticism. Which I said verbatim earlier.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 28, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cohn's latest article about the white vote was embarassingly bad.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

Cohn's latest article about the white vote was embarassingly bad.
I don't know, I didn't get into the weeds on it but his counter
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/upshot/rebutting-claim-that-obama-had-wider-support-among-southern-whites.html
made it seem like it was mostly a misunderstanding.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Wait, does anyone even remember that the shutdown even happened anymore?
First episode of Deadliest Catch this season addressed it since the government shutdown kept them in harbor for a week after the season opened since they couldn't get their fishing permits. One of them went and testified before Congress. That should help with the 'oh yeah' factor somewhat but mostly, yeah, its forgotten.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gen. Ripper posted:

From a volunteer's perspective, what training and direction I've had from others has almost wholly been about turning out the base rather than swaying independents- the lesson learned from 2010 midterms, at least in the Michigan Democratic Party, was make sure Democrats actually get out and loving vote this time, goddamn. Organizers and directors still talk about 2010 with a mix of horror, despair and shame.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

pangstrom posted:

I don't know, I didn't get into the weeds on it but his counter
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/25/upshot/rebutting-claim-that-obama-had-wider-support-among-southern-whites.html
made it seem like it was mostly a misunderstanding.

He fails to address Bartels' main criticism, which was that the accompanying graphic didn't back up the point Cohn was trying to make and that using county-level data misrepresents the size of the population, since land can't vote. I'd also add that the 2012 exit polls were a particularly poor tool to use for this exercise because, as a cost savings measure, the AP decided not to conduct exit polling in a bunch of states.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ofaloaf posted:

From a volunteer's perspective, what training and direction I've had from others has almost wholly been about turning out the base rather than swaying independents- the lesson learned from 2010 midterms, at least in the Michigan Democratic Party, was make sure Democrats actually get out and loving vote this time, goddamn. Organizers and directors still talk about 2010 with a mix of horror, despair and shame.
This is greatly heartening to hear, since once of the most appalling things about 2010 was how no one seemed to be held accountable for such an across-the-board shitkicking. I figured everyone just agreed to pretend that it was all the fault of the Tea Party and gosh we couldn't have done nothin' and then keep their jobs, but it sounds like down at the nuts-and-bolts level people really are treating 2010 as a lesson in What Not To Do.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of Cohn and shoddy analysis, he's got a new piece up today on turnout issues in North Carolina and the trouble Hagan faces. Except he undercuts his entire argument by pointing out if the race had been held in 2010 (which he considers a worst-case scenario) she still would've won. And that's without getting into the whole Democrats are only young college-educated northern transplants in the Triangle/Charlotte nonsense, or why Tillis in particular is a weak candidate.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

comes along bort posted:

Speaking of Cohn and shoddy analysis, he's got a new piece up today on turnout issues in North Carolina and the trouble Hagan faces. Except he undercuts his entire argument by pointing out if the race had been held in 2010 (which he considers a worst-case scenario) she still would've won. And that's without getting into the whole Democrats are only young college-educated northern transplants in the Triangle/Charlotte nonsense, or why Tillis in particular is a weak candidate.

quote:

r.thomas castro valley, ca 2 hours ago
Obviously the younger generation, who helped put Obama in the white house, really know little aobout how the goverment works. They know celebrities, which is what Obama was to them, and why they voted in the presidential election. But they don't grasp how the legislative branch functions. They need to get off their "apps" and vote in mid-term elections to help support Obama.

LOL. A liberal version of Onion's cartoonist Kelly? It has 16 likes, somehow, maybe for the pun.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FMguru posted:

This is greatly heartening to hear, since once of the most appalling things about 2010 was how no one seemed to be held accountable for such an across-the-board shitkicking. I figured everyone just agreed to pretend that it was all the fault of the Tea Party and gosh we couldn't have done nothin' and then keep their jobs, but it sounds like down at the nuts-and-bolts level people really are treating 2010 as a lesson in What Not To Do.

If the Democrats had to do 2010 again, they would of seen Martha Coakley's election as a warning sign and would of at least fought harder on the ACA.

This maybe paranoia too but the media saw 2010 coming and instead of calling the Tea Party out on their awful policies and people they put into government, they instead stayed silent because they wanted access to the next Congress.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

comes along bort posted:

I think he does have a point on the question of whether some older, registered Dems would vote for Hagan again given that there's now an Obama in the White House and Obamacare is A Thing. A lot of these voters are in conservative areas (Eastern NC, Jim Hunt Country) and are the right demographic to see flip.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
In Michigan, how is the population loss affecting the electorate? From what I've seen, the people leaving are rich, old, and white, or the GOP's base.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

I think he does have a point on the question of whether some older, registered Dems would vote for Hagan again given that there's now an Obama in the White House and Obamacare is A Thing. A lot of these voters are in conservative areas (Eastern NC, Jim Hunt Country) and are the right demographic to see flip.

I think most of them who were going to flip likely did when she actually shared a ticket with Obama, plus there's fewer people in Eastern NC and the other rural areas now than in 2008. Tillis is gonna be hitting up Kannapolis and Cary a lot harder and more often than Greenville and Hickory.

There's still the upcoming legislative session and the 4th circuit gay marriage ruling, which could affect the race as well.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

I think most of them who were going to flip likely did when she actually shared a ticket with Obama, plus there's fewer people in Eastern NC and the other rural areas now than in 2008. Tillis is gonna be hitting up Kannapolis and Cary a lot harder and more often than Greenville and Hickory.

There's still the upcoming legislative session and the 4th circuit gay marriage ruling, which could affect the race as well.

I'm talking about the areas that flipped from blue to red in this map and aren't majority-minority counties. Granted, they are small counties, but in that hypothetical 2010 Hagan-Dole election, they could make up the difference. We're basically talking the entire 7th and 3rd congressional districts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:North_Carolina_Gubernatorial_Election_Results_by_county,_2008.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nc_gov_2012.png

Note: it's almost as weird seeing places like Onslow County in blue on that first map as it is seeing West Virginia being blue on the 1988 Dukakis-Bush map, seeing how partisanship has moved since then. I know there's a large black population through there, but drat. That's one of the most culturally right wing white populations you will find anywhere.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You can't really go by the change between gubernatorial elections because McCrory was a fluke.

Washington Post has a county map which covers presidential votes going back to 2004:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/election-map-2012/president/

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Ofaloaf posted:

Speaking of which, is there any traction on the Goontools that people were brainstorming in IRC a couple weeks ago? My father is the county chair and GOTV is basically priority 1 for this fall. I'd love to be able to deliver him some tools to make this better happen.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

You can't really go by the change between gubernatorial elections because McCrory was a fluke.

In what sense? Older Democratic voter movement towards his party mirrors what the Presidential statewide vote has been doing among those voters. McCrory wasn't a particularly special GOP candidate, no more than other seemingly "moderate" Charlotteans like Jim Martin or Richard Vinroot (at least on the surface).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You don't remember Perdue bailing at the last second and the state dems completely imploding after 2010? McCrory got something like a third of the dem vote, which would never happen under normal circumstances. If you look at the other statewide races, ticket splitting has almost entirely died off. The only other people who did as poorly as Dalton in 2012 were total jokes like Deb Goldman and John Tedesco.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

You don't remember Perdue bailing at the last second and the state dems completely imploding after 2010? McCrory got something like a third of the dem vote, which would never happen under normal circumstances. If you look at the other statewide races, ticket splitting has almost entirely died off. The only other people who did as poorly as Dalton in 2012 were total jokes like Deb Goldman and John Tedesco.

I mean, I don't doubt that's part of it, but the movement away from the Dems in those areas is still very real (I'd need some solid numbers on McCrory-Obama voters outside Charlotte, though). Deb Goldman and Tedesco and whoever were exceptionally weak, but what about stronger fundraisers like Dan Forrest? He barely won, but he would have had no business winning before 2010. No one has any clue who Sue Myrick is outside Charlotte. He would have been one of those forgotten Patrick Ballentine-like fuckers who only appeals to the dead-enders since they have no natural base outside parts of their home city. If they'd run real candidates for the other exec. positions instead of letting Ron Paultards like whoever it was that ran for Treasurer get on the ballot, we could be looking at a very difference scenario.

I don't know if Bev stepping down earlier could have helped anything. How separate was the state Dem approval rating from hers?

(You'll have to excuse me if I don't remember all these details, I was in VA at the time and paying much more attention to those races)

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 28, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SavageBastard posted:

Speaking of which, is there any traction on the Goontools that people were brainstorming in IRC a couple weeks ago? My father is the county chair and GOTV is basically priority 1 for this fall. I'd love to be able to deliver him some tools to make this better happen.
Does your dad not have access to Votebuilder/Voter Activation Network? I don't know what state you're in, but VAN is what we're using in Michigan for GOTV and it does an admirable job of that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

I mean, I don't doubt that's part of it, but the movement away from the Dems in those areas is still very real (I'd need some solid numbers on McCrory-Obama voters outside Charlotte, though). Deb Goldman and Tedesco and whoever were exceptionally weak, but what about stronger fundraisers like Dan Forrest? He barely won, but he would have had no business winning before 2010. No one has any clue who Sue Myrick is outside Charlotte. He would have been one of those forgotten Patrick Ballentine-like fuckers who only appeals to the dead-enders since they have no natural base outside parts of their home city. If they'd run real candidates for the other exec. positions instead of letting Ron Paultards like whoever it was that ran for Treasurer get on the ballot, we could be looking at a very difference scenario.

But that's my point though- those were all exceptionally weak candidates. Goldman and Tedesco were tied to the Wake school board resegregation fiasco, plus Goldman's affairs with board members and her ridiculous money and jewels in a backpack theft story. Dalton had no time to prepare a campaign against a guy who'd been running since 2007 and got outspent like 3:1. All the other council of state races were in line with partisan trends.

quote:

I don't know if Bev stepping down earlier could have helped anything. How separate was the state Dem approval rating from hers?

There was Dumplin, but also everyone getting tired of the scandals from the Hunt/Easley crew and a lot of the old school dem legislators deciding to call it quits after 2010, which led to a scramble for new candidates without the connections. The actual statewide popular vote for the legislature in 2012 though was somewhere around 51/49 and 52/48 house and senate respectively in favor of republicans, which was more in line with the presidential vote that year. And like I mentioned, the state dems were effectively nonexistent that year.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 28, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Who writes the DNC fundraising emails? They all have subjects like DOOMED and TERRIBLE NEWS and YOU'RE NOT GONNA LIKE THIS! By November we're going to run out of panic.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Democratic panic is such an infinite resource that if we found some way to harness it to produce energy we'd live in a post-scarcity utopia (where Democrats would still find some reason to panic).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Who writes the DNC fundraising emails? They all have subjects like DOOMED and TERRIBLE NEWS and YOU'RE NOT GONNA LIKE THIS! By November we're going to run out of panic.

Gotta keep the people in the mailing list on their toes.

In all fairness, I'd be shocked if RNC emails didn't read exactly the same way. It's a psychological thing--if you read an email that said "Yeah, so, polls are looking OK, but you should probably send us money. Just in case", I can't imagine the return on it would be very good.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 28, 2014

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Ofaloaf posted:

Does your dad not have access to Votebuilder/Voter Activation Network? I don't know what state you're in, but VAN is what we're using in Michigan for GOTV and it does an admirable job of that.

He has something but Fried Chicken or Joementum made it sound like a lot of the other tools that a lot of people found useful had been deactivated.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Alter Ego posted:

Gotta keep the people in the mailing list on their toes.

In all fairness, I'd be shocked if RNC emails didn't read exactly the same way. It's a psychological thing--if you read an email that said "Yeah, so, polls are looking OK, but you should probably send us money. Just in case", I can't imagine the return on it would be very good.

Somehow I got on their mailing list. Here's today's:

quote:

(Name),

We just found out the House Democrats’ strategy for 2014: triage.

It’s a sure sign that Nancy Pelosi and her liberal allies are getting worried – and desperate – about the mid-term elections.

Politico reported that dozens of Democrat Party officials and strategists admitted that this strategy was implemented because of the “ominous political environment Democrats are up against,” as they face a “grim outlook” and a shrinking map in the mid-term elections.

So the Democrat Establishment is going to leave those who aren’t “imperiled incumbents” or the “most promising challengers” to “fend for themselves,” according to Politico.

While the Democrats play survival of the fittest, Republicans are building up a permanent ground game to support all our candidates up and down the ballot and all across the map. And we need your support before our critical fundraising deadline on Wednesday, April 30.
The crucial fundraising deadline is just 72 hours away. The last 72 hours before Election Day are often when a campaign is won or lost. It’s during those 72 hours where the final phone calls, the final door knocking and the all-important efforts to get people to the polls are run. And it’s these final 72 hours of our Matching Challenge that are critical to funding our get out the vote efforts.

We must reach our goal of $100,000 in the next 72 hours of our critical Matching Challenge and FEC deadlines on Wednesday, April 30, at midnight. And we need your urgent contribution right now.

We’re building a permanent, powerful ground game—with the most advanced technology tools and the most engaged volunteers we’ve ever had. But we can’t build to victory without your support before Wednesday’s deadline.

The $100,000 we raise from now until midnight on April 30 will count as $200,000 toward our ground game.

Just 72 hours left to double your impact on Republicans sweeping the House in 2014.

Donate before Wednesday, April 30, at midnight to double your impact on Republican victories in 2014.

Thanks,

Mike Shields
RNC Chief of Staff

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

SavageBastard posted:

It's almost as if they suffer from a fatal belief in democracy.

Democracy doesn't mean much if it entails constantly selling out the people to literal corporate fascists I'm afraid.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

StarMagician posted:

Somehow I got on their mailing list. Here's today's:

"Somehow"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

"All I did is give the GOP my name, email address and money, how do they know to hit me up for more money?!"

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm having flashbacks about working with the Michigan Democratic Party and county parties reading this post. I worked on a congressional race in Michigan n 2012. The MDP gave each county party access to a rudimentary VAN, which is fine in theory, but meant that any party activist feels like the Obama data director. They just wanted to cut lists of Democrats and go to town doing Get Out The Vote months before the election, instead of advanced DCCC targeting that included persuadables as well. There are a lot of jackoff campaigns that don't know how to target, but in a real campaign, targets are chosen for a reason and backseat driving "wisdom" from yard signs to targeting is almost always a bad decision.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Democrazy posted:

I'm having flashbacks about working with the Michigan Democratic Party and county parties reading this post. I worked on a congressional race in Michigan n 2012. The MDP gave each county party access to a rudimentary VAN, which is fine in theory, but meant that any party activist feels like the Obama data director. They just wanted to cut lists of Democrats and go to town doing Get Out The Vote months before the election, instead of advanced DCCC targeting that included persuadables as well. There are a lot of jackoff campaigns that don't know how to target, but in a real campaign, targets are chosen for a reason and backseat driving "wisdom" from yard signs to targeting is almost always a bad decision.
The volunteer training in Detroit has been very emphatic in dissing lawn signs*, so there's that small comfort. The call lists drawn from VAN aren't just folks under the 'Solid Democrat' category, but cover Likely Democrats and I think I've seen some Neutrals (or Undecided or I forget what the name used is) on the list. Main complaint I have is that it feels like half the data was drawn up during '08 and hasn't since been updated-- I've been getting a bothersome number of wrong number and disconnected number responses when doing calls for petition drives and gatherings and so forth.

*On the other hand, some more traditionally-minded partisans still regularly request such signs, so the lesson was less outright "gently caress lawn signs" and more "lawn signs are useless for swaying voters but supporters still appreciate having that means of showing their support, so if you have the resources try to have some for them"

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Lawn signs are at least still popular in Virginia. We have an incumbent city councillor who has these detachable messages he'll put on top of his big yard signs, but they say boring stuff like "CAPITAL INVESTMENTS" and "INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS." I can't see how that matters, but I guess it makes it noticeable.

Fairfax County was the worst for signs:

http://m.fairfaxtimes.com/article/2...rfaxtimesMobile

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

De Nomolos posted:

Lawn signs are at least still popular in Virginia. We have an incumbent city councillor who has these detachable messages he'll put on top of his big yard signs, but they say boring stuff like "CAPITAL INVESTMENTS" and "INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS." I can't see how that matters, but I guess it makes it noticeable.

Fairfax County was the worst for signs:

http://m.fairfaxtimes.com/article/2...rfaxtimesMobile

My roommate last year worked for OFA in Prince William County and they all hated yard signs. I'm getting the sense yard signs are a young/old divide.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

The funny thing about yard signs is that they always lead you to believe that the Greens have a much better chance in Northern VA! They're really good at putting up signs and getting 10% in local elections.

In non-sign news, another poll is out (from SurveyUSA) showing no GA Senate candidate with anywhere near even 30%. Unfortunately, it's once again Perdue and Kingston in the lead, and either will beat Nunn easily. I really, really, really want Paul Broun to stay in. I just really want a one-on-one between him and anyone.

Also, lots of weird Magellan Strategies (R) polls out showing everything from a tie between Walker and Burke to a 2 point lead for Voldemort.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Lawn signs are a thing you give people who will ABSOLUTELY not do anything else but they are pretty ineffective.

• Locked thread