Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Max posted:

I may have a skewed perspective because I always play a caster in these games which makes it feel like I'm cheating sometimes, but the Flexile sentry was a complete joke of a fight.

It is a joke for melee also at least on ng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

There's a second boss soul vendor later in the game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Attestant posted:

Please don't wear Drangleic Armour. It's a dumb tube and everyone wears it.

Using it immediately disqualifies you from Fashion Souls. :colbert:

You know, my friend claimed this too but from Sunbroing constantly I have literally only seen one other person wearing this thing. Go figure :shrug:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Metanaut posted:

You can change the blur type in the ini file. Bokeh looks a lot better and on a quick try, I didn't notice any notable dips in framerate. It helps to change the radius too, I set it to 0.6.

I tried, but even at 0.5 it still blurs quite even close up. You can use NUMPAD2 to switch it on/off and see the difference.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|
Can confirm this game is amazing. I can't wait until NG+, but spending the weekend ignoring family/relationships I can say this game is 10/10.

I'm not even turning back to DS1, I will keep playing this game until forever, or at least until 2017 when Dark Souls 3 comes out.

The game is great, it looks great, it feels great, the bosses are okay, nothing too challenging. The only thing that sucks is the 9/10 summons are really bad at the game, especially Heirs of the Sun players. Every now and then you get a guy that likes to look around and help out but it seems most are trying to just rush through NG to get to NG+ and the real challenges. I just need to take a step back and search for all the necessary items/NPCs/spells I need before entering NG+.

Currently SL 109, I really wanted to play only for the PVP, but I'm not sure, the phantom range/lag stab is pretty ridiculous at times, though I do have Regions unlocked for a bigger variety of player pool to co-op/invade.

tl;dr
game is amazing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ugh, the enemy despawning is really annoying when you actually try to farm something with a low drop rate. Keep killing Sorceress in the Earthen Peak hoping to get their skirt, but even after completely clearing one area of them I didn't get it. Now I have to farm a far worse spot since the ones in the good spot despawned.

VVV Well yeah but I don't want to put an area into NG+ just because of a dumb item.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 28, 2014

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh, the enemy despawning is really annoying when you actually try to farm something with a low drop rate. Keep killing Sorceress in the Earthen Peak hoping to get their skirt, but even after completely clearing one area of them I didn't get it. Now I have to farm a far worse spot since the ones in the good spot despawned.

I'm sure you know about the burning 'Bonfire Ascetic' which respawns enemies and makes that bonfire area basically NG+ everytime you use it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The combat in this game is just so much fun. Its so responsive it almost feels like a fighting game or something, why can't certain other open world fantasy RPGs learn from this game and not have lovely combat?

Also I feel like this one is a bit easier than Dark Souls, maybe its just because I went into it knowing the mechanics a bit more than I had with Dark Souls.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Dirty Job posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a DEX build? Is it even worth going DEX? I've been using the rapier for about 6 hours now and it's working ok I guess, but I can barely take any hits and I'm hitting a wall at the Huntsman's Copse.

I've been doing some No Death runs with different weapons (half have ended with abysmal failure, and the other half tragic failure) and I found the Estoc to be a really fun and effective weapon, so maybe switch to that if you want to keep your dex style.

Also, make sure to explore to find upgrade materials - there are several (5) Large Titanite Shards in the Lost Bastille that can make a huge difference in your damage output.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How far into the game will I need to get before I can buy a spell to enhance my caestuses and be a true Muscle Wizard? I just got into No Man's Wharf and I've met a Miracle vendor, but no sorceries, and said vendor didn't have any enchantments anyway. :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

How far into the game will I need to get before I can buy a spell to enhance my caestuses and be a true Muscle Wizard? I just got into No Man's Wharf and I've met a Miracle vendor, but no sorceries, and said vendor didn't have any enchantments anyway. :(

Magic vendor on the docks of No-Mans sells one.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Caesti own too much to need any magical buffs, trust me. But I think the wizard vendor at the end of the wharf sells magic weapon if you're jonesing that hard.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ciaphas posted:

The only enhancement you need is more fist.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Scrree posted:

I've been doing some No Death runs with different weapons (half have ended with abysmal failure, and the other half tragic failure) and I found the Estoc to be a really fun and effective weapon, so maybe switch to that if you want to keep your dex style.

Also, make sure to explore to find upgrade materials - there are several (5) Large Titanite Shards in the Lost Bastille that can make a huge difference in your damage output.

I kinda wish I didn't try upgrading the twinblade (it sucks). I found Ricard's rapier shortly after, and since it has A scaling with DEX, it's an obvious competitor with the regular rapier (and it has a cool strong attack).

I'm also pretty bad at parrying/dodging, so I might just bite the bullet and go back to heavy armor + shield.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So wtf, I thought if you killed a Belfry invader you got a grace period? I killed my first dude in a badass melee duel and was invaded like 4 seconds later by some dicklord that spammed soul arrow at me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The only enhancement you need is more fist.

Look goddamnit he's a Muscle Wizard and he casts Fist, alright? t:mad:

(All that said I kinda wanna be a Muscle Priest instead because gently caress yea Sunlight Spear looks cool)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

DrNutt posted:

So wtf, I thought if you killed a Belfry invader you got a grace period? I killed my first dude in a badass melee duel and was invaded like 4 seconds later by some dicklord that spammed soul arrow at me.

There's no rules in the Belfry. It's a hosed up place for monsters.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

DrNutt posted:

If their is a grace period, it's hard to tell. You can have up to two people invading you at once, so maybe someone was already being summoned in as you killed the first guy.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I take it you haven't been simultaneously triple invaded. :> Prepare your anus.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

bonerstorm posted:

The game is great, it looks great, it feels great, the bosses are okay, nothing too challenging. The only thing that sucks is the 9/10 summons are really bad at the game, especially Heirs of the Sun players. Every now and then you get a guy that likes to look around and help out but it seems most are trying to just rush through NG to get to NG+ and the real challenges. I just need to take a step back and search for all the necessary items/NPCs/spells I need before entering NG+.

I have the exact opposite experience. Most people I summon go out of their way to help me out, showing me chest locations, hidden walls, etc. The community owns in general.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
So what's the best overall infusion? By that I mean, what are monsters weak to more often than not? I'm leaning towards fire but I have no idea really.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Congratulations! Blue Man Group evolved into MURDER FLY!

From a page back, but Im pretty sure I got invaded by you in Bellfry earlier today.

I was the sorcerer that tried to hide with chameleon beside the gnome, as I was chatting with a friend, and didnt see the invasion message.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My rule when I get summoned is too stick with the host. If I get summoned as a shade though, I'm gonna run ahead and start killing stuff if you sit around doing nothing.

EDIT: Where the hell do you get those beautiful moth wings? :v:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

How do I infuse my poo poo?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I never really used the name engraved ring on consoles, but now that I have buds I want to summon (and be summoned by) its pretty much the greatest thing ever. I haven't tried it yet but if it works with the red soapstone I'll be in love.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How do I infuse my poo poo?

Give McDuff the dull ember.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Would anyone happen to have a character (around 600K SM) with a spare bat staff? I'd give you abunch of soul consumables or whatever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
some seriously nice looking enb stuff is coming out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZB-H0EVlcs

looks almost like it was before the downgrade

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, are there no good shields to use as weapons besides the pair? They're so far into the game! :(

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Well... I gave the PC version a shot, and the controls blow so badly that I can't continue playing it. I'm currently in NG++ on my 2nd character on the PS3 version, but FROM is just terrible at ports to PC. I still haven't found a "Start" button on my keyboard- and having to right click to go back in menus, yikes.

I'm bummed because the frame rate is awesome and it looks great overall, the controls are just unmanageable and I'm not buying a controller for my PC.

Anyone else experiencing this? I think I read something last week about people having a workaround for the lovely controls on KB+M, but this thread is moving like my bowels after eating in-n-out

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where the hell is this stupid windmill I have to burn to drain the poison out of Medusa's chamber?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, are there no good shields to use as weapons besides the pair? They're so far into the game! :(

There's a crossbow shield you get from trading a Executioner Chariot soul in.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

Dr. Carwash posted:

So what's the best overall infusion? By that I mean, what are monsters weak to more often than not? I'm leaning towards fire but I have no idea really.

Mostly Lightning, Fire coming in a close 2nd. All bosses are also weak to 'beating to a pulp' and dodging all their attacks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Omniblivion posted:

Well... I gave the PC version a shot, and the controls blow so badly that I can't continue playing it. I'm currently in NG++ on my 2nd character on the PS3 version, but FROM is just terrible at ports to PC. I still haven't found a "Start" button on my keyboard- and having to right click to go back in menus, yikes.

I'm bummed because the frame rate is awesome and it looks great overall, the controls are just unmanageable and I'm not buying a controller for my PC.

Anyone else experiencing this? I think I read something last week about people having a workaround for the lovely controls on KB+M, but this thread is moving like my bowels after eating in-n-out

You can use a PS3 controller on PC, you know. It's also not that awful motioninjoy crap.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Omniblivion posted:

I've heard the default setup isn't too good, but you can fully remap all the keys.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

Omniblivion posted:

If you haven't learned from DS1, Use a controller. In this day and age why would you expect anything otherwise?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Omniblivion posted:

There really isn't anything to say other than get a controller. I've literally never played a third person action game using anything but a controller on my PC.

Besides, shouldn't the PS3 controller work on a PC anyway?

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Where the hell is this stupid windmill I have to burn to drain the poison out of Medusa's chamber?

It's near the bonfire where there's a ladder to climb upwards near a trigger activated trap that shoots 3 arrows. I'm not sure which bonfire it is exactly but, the tall ladder is a dead giveaway, just go right outside near the bonfire and you see a humongous loving windmill, walk up to it with a torch.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Reposting this, does anyone want a Black Witches Staff or a Staff of Amana? For anyone who needs to know their scaling, Amana has S in Int and C or B in Hexes, while Black Witches casts Mriacles, Sorceries and Hexes, with A in Fire C in Int and Faith and A in Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Go to the central bonfire of Earthen Peak. (If you haven't found it, it's directly behind a fog door on the way up the peak.) The windmill you seek is directly in front (or behind when facing the bonfire) the central bonfire. To get to the interaction prompt you need a lit torch and go a bit up on the outside where the lone manikin stands.

Alternatively, just run through summons in front of the boss's fog door until one phantom is smart enough to lure you to where you need to go.