Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How dangerous is calling the marine corp that to a marine's face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

iyaayas01 posted:

Considering the idea for a multi-role fighter that could meet all three services' requirements as well as the (initial) requirements were written well before LockMart even existed as a company and a solid decade before they won the contract, I'd find the idea that LockMart is singlehandedly responsible for the overall JSF concept pretty hard to believe.

Lockheed was founded in 1912, Martin Marietta in 1961. While I agree that they didn't single-highhandedly come up with the idea, it'd be foolish to think they weren't involved at every single step of the process. They're a major defence contractor; the people involved in defence procurement talk to them.

Whether they were officially involved in the process is a whole other thing, of course. But a supplier would have to be pretty bad and lacking in vision not to get involved in shaping their customer's expectations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just do like I do and blame all things bad about the F-35 on the Marines the Navy's Army's "gay for Guadalcanal" Air Force.

hobbesmaster posted:

How dangerous is calling the marine corp that to a marine's face?

Dunno about the face, N4I usually just says it to their backs

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Lockheed bashing stuff is pretty silly. It doesn't do LockMart any good to have a steaming boondoggle. They'd see the most money with a plane they could sell boatloads of, to USAF and foreign customers, along with lucrative parts and service contracts, which is where the money is. Higher airframe cost means less birds means less long-term contracts and more competition from Viggens / MiGs / surplus F-16s etc which doesn't net LM a dime.

If LockMart really was calling the shots we'd have nine crazy-specialized airframes, not one jack-of-no-trades.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

If LockMart really was calling the shots we'd have nine crazy-specialized airframes, not one jack-of-no-trades.

You mean we could spread assembly throughout 9 congressional districts? Why isn't this happening?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Snowdens Secret posted:

Dunno about the face, N4I usually just says it to their backs

They do like being dominated and humiliated I find :pervert:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Lockheed bashing stuff is pretty silly. It doesn't do LockMart any good to have a steaming boondoggle. They'd see the most money with a plane they could sell boatloads of, to USAF and foreign customers, along with lucrative parts and service contracts, which is where the money is. Higher airframe cost means less birds means less long-term contracts and more competition from Viggens / MiGs / surplus F-16s etc which doesn't net LM a dime.

Foreign airplanes? An American supplier has such an immense competitive advantage to supply the US military, it's not even funny. The international market, going by the numbers on Wikipedia, represents about 22% of the total number of airframes, assuming all the buys go through as planned. Sure, once the production lines are set up, that's free money and nothing to sneeze at, but let's be honest, Canada and Turkey aren't the main customers here; they're not calling the shots on the whole project. There's political pressure to purchase the F-35 no matter what, as well.

More complex planes are more expensive, but then it's harder to get third-party parts and services. You also have more competition, because now the fighter's not Fifth Generation Ultramax Stealth Party, and the European offerings are suddenly in the same market. LM's not interested in the inexpensive fighter market, or they'd be making inexpensive fighters. The people considering surplus F-16 won't switch to the F-35 because it's 10% cheaper; it'd have to be way cheaper.

I mean I'm sure they'd love to be able to produce the F-35 for cheap, but their business model isn't to crap out huge number of cheap planes.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If there were nine airframes, the Pentagon might want to spread the contracts to a few companies, to spread the pork around and ensure the survivability of competition in the aerospace industry or they felt like it that day or whatever, and now suddenly LM isn't building ALL THE PLANES. And in fifteen years when the next design competition comes out, their competitors are in a much better shape to participate and...

From a business perspective, it's entirely in LM's interest to have a monopoly on a single plane. Or three similar-looking planes.

I'm sure LM would love to be rolling out airplanes and shipping them, but for whatever reason that's not happening... And they're the ones making the planes so they probably have some part to play in that. If the customer keeps changing the specs, they might have some customer relation management issue... And again that's on them.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

quote:

"The program announced an intention to change performance specifications for the F-35A, reducing turn performance from 5.3 to 4.6 sustained g’s..."

Can't the F-16 and F/A-18 do 9/7.5g sustained respectively? Or is this full of fuel and with onboard stores versus clean and light configurations?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

From a business perspective, it's entirely in LM's interest to have a monopoly on a single plane. Or three similar-looking planes.

Not to mention that because defense spending is the archetype of sunk-cost fallacy (nonlinear, no less), it's in LM's interest to have one massively expensive umbrella project since smaller projects are more vulnerable during budgeting. No one's going to cut or rebid a 20 year project three armed forces and half a dozen allies are depending on to fulfill multiple roles.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

Not to mention that because defense spending is the archetype of sunk-cost fallacy (nonlinear, no less), it's in LM's interest to have one massively expensive umbrella project since smaller projects are more vulnerable during budgeting. No one's going to cut or rebid a 20 year project three armed forces and half a dozen allies are depending on to fulfill multiple roles.

Is it correct to say the F-35 is a good example of market forces or the invisible hand at work?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I wish we had some inside guys in the AdA or the RAF to give us some direct opinions on their aircraft.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Breakfast All Day posted:

That and they successfully sourced the project from manufacturers in all 50 states. That means every single senator and most reps will champion the F-35 because a 20-person metalworks company in their district makes a handful of washers for it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eggyolk posted:

Is it correct to say the F-35 is a good example of market forces or the invisible hand at work?

The F-35 program isn't designed to build a good airplane. It's designed to build a good jobs program in as many congressional districts as possible, and literally, in all fifty states, so the goddamned politicians won't try to can it after only 187 airframes.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

MrYenko posted:

The F-35 program isn't designed to build a good airplane. It's designed to build a good jobs program in as many congressional districts as possible, and literally, in all fifty states, so the goddamned politicians won't try to can it after only 187 airframes.

Except it's a pretty bad jobs program and the F-22 was canned at 187 airframes explicity in favor of the F-35 because Lockheed Martin assured Secretary of Defense Robert Gates that it would be a really really good plane for cheaper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And they lied.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Godholio posted:

Could you imagine if the galley items were treated like that? Tinker would've had 3 flyable jets after canning every tail.

Reminds me of one of the best writeups I've ever seen
(Click for huge/readable size)

Airlinepilot.jpg

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hole Wolf posted:

Except it's a pretty bad jobs program and the F-22 was canned at 187 airframes explicity in favor of the F-35 because Lockheed Martin assured Secretary of Defense Robert Gates that it would be a really really good plane for cheaper.

Don't worry, we should have the NGB/LRS in a few years to keep everyone occupied on how much Lockmart/Boeing/Northrop sucks to take pressure off the F35.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

MrYenko posted:

I'm as big a critic of the program as anyone but I have to disagree with this. It was designed to build a good airplane, but it the problems it that it attempts to compromise between three different services' idea of a good airplane. All the jobs program stuff can be put pretty squarely on the shoulders of Congress.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FYI when I said buy F-16s and F-15s I was referring to new construction not "surplus" or whatever.. The UAE is having more F-16s built now and the F-15 is still in production with Saudi orders.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I don't know that the Boeing X-32 would have done any better at being an all-size-fits-one airframe. But part of me thinks it lost the JSF showdown due to how goofy it looked.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

AzureSkys posted:

I don't know that the Boeing X-32 would have done any better at being an all-size-fits-one airframe. But part of me thinks it lost the JSF showdown due to how goofy it looked.

It was actually performing very well. I believe the looks definitely had something to do with its lack of success (which is hilarious given that most people think the A10 or Harrier are ugly, but they do their jobs quite well).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Things like this are what happen when you let the services design their own stuff! :eng101:

Or could just be the Navy :eng99:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Davin Valkri posted:

I might not much care for them (I like Gripens the best of the Eurocanard family), but what are the big issues with the Typhoon and Rafale?

The main problem with them is the cost. They are only marginally more capable than the Gripen E/F (mainly they can carry more weapons per aircraft and have a bit better range) but cost incredibly much more money, both in purchase and in maintenance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barnsy posted:

It was actually performing very well. I believe the looks definitely had something to do with its lack of success (which is hilarious given that most people think the A10 or Harrier are ugly, but they do their jobs quite well).

C'mon, how can someone not like the X-32?

It totally should've won; it could still stuck but at least that would be achieved in a more interesting way :colbert:.

I haven't really spend much time :spergin: about the JSF program but I'd imagine shoehorning VTOL capabilities into a general purpose airframe would easily account for most of the challenges. And also not to defend it too much, but there's probably never been an airplane that was launched completely smoothly and trouble free.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

And also not to defend it too much, but there's probably never been an airplane that was launched completely smoothly and trouble free.

We should go back to WWII and literally throw everything in the air and see what comes back down in one piece. For every B-25 there was a B-26.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

hobbesmaster posted:

We should go back to WWII and literally throw everything in the air and see what comes back down in one piece. For every B-25 there was a B-26.

Didn't they both come out alright, though? Happy endings for planes are the best :3:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

Didn't they both come out alright, though? Happy endings for planes are the best :3:

The B-26 was a disaster that makes the F-35 look like a joke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_B-26_Marauder#Accidents

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

Idiots who trusted their guts over the specs would stall the fuckers left and right was more the problem.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hobbesmaster posted:

The B-26 was a perfectly fine aircraft assuming you were a bad enough dude to save the president fly it. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The B-26 was a perfectly fine aircraft assuming you were a bad enough dude to save the president fly it. :colbert:

My dad said that the best part of going to the air force museum in the 60s was hearing a B-26 pilot next to the B-26 display trying to tell everyone that it was actually in fact a good plane once you realized (long list of things you had to do to not cause it to stall and tumble out of the sky).

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

SeaborneClink posted:

Things like this are what happen when you let the services design their own stuff! :eng101:

What was that quote from Kelly Johnson in Ben Rich's book that he didn't take but then wholeheartedly agreed with? "Never ever take on a navy project, they will run it into the ground" or something like that?

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
"Starve before doing business with the damned Navy. They don't know what the hell they want and will drive you up a wall before they break either your heart or a more exposed part of your anatomy."

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
http://www.wset.com/story/25355879/feds-eye-crash-of-planes-over-san-francisco-bay

So this is happening :stonk:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

I feel like a terrible person for wondering if the Sea Fury is going to be alright before noticing that Cessna's crew hasn't been found. Given how cold the bay is, the chances of rescue are pretty much null.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The B-26 was a disaster that makes the F-35 look like a joke.

I thought the F-35 already was one?

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Oh christ I was at Eagle's Nest yesterday - I posted picture from it in the auto pictures thread.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
So here's my album from the Seattle Airplane Funtime Museum And Amusement Park Sponsored By Boeing(tm)

http://imgur.com/a/RJ8Hu

Of note:
JFK's private bathroom on AF1 mirror selfie
Safes on AF1 that held nuclear launch codes
Concorde concorde concorde concorde

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

hobbesmaster posted:

The B-26 was a disaster that makes the F-35 look like a joke. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_B-26_Marauder#Accidents

15 crashes in 30 days sweet jesus those things fell out of the sky

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

15 crashes in 30 days sweet jesus those things fell out of the sky
At a training airfield! Unbelieeeevable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

I don't think this is what Colin Chapman meant by "add lightness"