Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm being warned of a trapped chest, here. Do trapped chests still contain items, i.e. I should man the gently caress up and eat the trap?

Yes. If white, shields up, if green, roll away.
edit: unless it's a mimic in that case gently caress off and shoot from range so it won't gib you instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

voltron lion force posted:

At the top of the level is a lever to pull to bring the ship to the dock.

Bah, must have overlooked it while I was up there. Oh well, at least I opened the shortcut.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Ciaphas posted:

I'm being warned of a trapped chest, here. Do trapped chests still contain items, i.e. I should man the gently caress up and eat the trap?

Trapped, non-mimic chests are usually either a poison cloud or a crossbow that shoots 180 degrees. Just open and hold a shield up/roll away.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Artix posted:

So what's the deal with No Man's Wharf? I got to what I presume is the end, but there was just an empty dock and the ship that should be there is still way off by the entrance to the cove. I already have access to the Old Bastille, but I was trying to go the other way and there's just...nothing there.

Search the area more. There's a bell you can ring to bring the ship in.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ChaosArgate posted:

or shoot the bell with an arrow.

Whoa that works? That's awesome.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

bonerstorm posted:

What a selfish prick!

Tel that to the million baby skeletons that all spawned at once out of their corpses

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Artix posted:

So what's the deal with No Man's Wharf? I got to what I presume is the end, but there was just an empty dock and the ship that should be there is still way off by the entrance to the cove. I already have access to the Old Bastille, but I was trying to go the other way and there's just...nothing there.
You missed a way to call the ship into port. Head back up towards the clifftops.

Drakes posted:

I sorta wished they merged the blue factions into one covenant instead of having two covenants that really depend on the other.
Yeah, this would have been nice.

The Crusher posted:

Yes. If you don't want to be invaded but want to invade, being in the Servant's Quarters bonfire area will still summon you to defend the bell.
Eh, makes sense. Got the door open so now its mostly a sprint through. Now I just need to kill these damned gargoyles. Figures that I should have just invested in smashing weapons.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

voltron lion force posted:

Whoa that works? That's awesome.

I haven't tried it myself, someone should go check that to see if it does actually work.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you killed every enemy along the way to the point they didn't spawn anymore it'd take like 30 seconds to get to the fog door. Unless you decide to detour through the ballista room or stand around and take in the scenery. Starting from the bonfire you go across the bridge, up the stairs, over the bridge to the right, turn left and you're at the door.

There are two enemies outside of the keep, two in the room with the flamethrower, three in the room up the stairs. Outside you have two enemies straight forward and one on the bridge to the right. There's an archer to the right just as you enter the area. If you don't walk on the bridge that enemy won't attack you, the other two will aggro at the same time (one is further back and you have time to take care of the first one and the guy on the bridge before he even reaches you). There's a pillar right next to the bridge and it will block all of the archer's shots. Don't run past the bridge because that will set other enemies off and there's no point in going over there in the first place. You can take care of the enemy by the fog door easily because it's by itself and nothing else can hit you where it is. There, I played the game for you.

That pillar does not block all the archer's shots, I've been using it every fight and still have to dodged their arrows. Don't make poo poo up.

And I never said it was hard, just annoying. Because really, a minute walk from the bonfire to the boss door is pretty irritating. Especially when said boss does stuff like shove you into a wall where you can't move due to a glitch so you're dead.

EDIT: I mean you can block that one archer with the pillar but in order to deal with the knight on the bridge you have to walk on it and draw aggro of the other archer so its a moot point anyways. There's no fast way to do it was my point, hence why its annoying.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 28, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gimbal lock posted:

Tel that to the million baby skeletons that all spawned at once out of their corpses

I did that fight with two phantoms and it turned into a giant blitz and was fun as hell. Especially when our old friends rolled in.

I need to go back there and drop some signs down then finish exploring the Copse. I can do that, the iron keep, belfry sol, the gutter, more harvest valley....there's a lot to do in DS2 guys.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Drakes posted:

If you're gonna give someone a lovely time you better work for it :colbert:.

I sorta wished they merged the blue factions into one covenant instead of having two covenants that really depend on the other.

The Way of Blue is for noobs so they don't get killed. Blue Sentinels can also invade the worlds of sinners with cracked blue eye orbs, so they aren't totally dependent on Way of Blue members. Right now a lot of carebears are playing through the game, so there are a ton of targets for invasion and you better believe a lot of them will stay in Way of Blue as they're terrified of being invaded. It'll likely balance out a bit in the next few weeks as they either become bolder or finish the game and quit.

vv no that looks perfect.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 28, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Is it bad that my PvP builds are starting to look like this?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Ravenfood posted:

Eh, makes sense. Got the door open so now its mostly a sprint through. Now I just need to kill these damned gargoyles. Figures that I should have just invested in smashing weapons.

You're still totally able to enter the fog to the boss if you're invaded; it sends the bell defenders home.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A) Yes it does, if you're positioned correctly and B) unless you're dying to one arrow I don't see why it even matters. You can hear it when he shoots! Roll away or something.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Ciaphas posted:

When you open a chest, you'll visibly see if it's going to be a trap or not, some kind of particle effect gives this away. If you aren't super casual you can always just roll away after you open the chest. "Don't be scared homie!"

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Attestant posted:

Yeah that's not really optimal. You should be powerstancing those.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Attestant posted:

at least you arent wearing havels
pls take that bdsm mask off thnx

GaylordButts posted:

The Way of Blue is for noobs so they don't get killed. Blue Sentinels can also invade the worlds of sinners with cracked blue eye orbs, so they aren't totally dependent on Way of Blue members. Right now a lot of carebears are playing through the game, so there are a ton of targets for invasion and you better believe a lot of them will stay in Way of Blue as they're terrified of being invaded. It'll likely balance out a bit in the next few weeks as they either become bolder or finish the game and quit.

It'd be nice to see that Blue Sentinels can still help people out, but if a WoB member needs help at the same time someone else does, the WoB member has higher priority - but that means the nonmember can still be aided by another Sentinel. Also would help if I could go to any location with the ring

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Internet Kraken posted:

In what world is it a short walk? It takes over a minute even if you get past every enemy. Also while fighting the 3 knights guarding the bridge, at least 3 archers have a shot on me no matter where I stand. I can deal with them, it just takes awhile and is annoying when I die in 10 seconds to the smelter demon because my health bar is small and I'm losing my patience.

What are you running with? I was two shooting the knights with the great sword and maybe 4 shooting with another great sword.

The smelter demon needs some learning time. Like after a plunge he may do the close range explosion so raise your if you can make it away. His 3 hit combo attack is easily dodged with right/left/side dodge. Last hit should never be blocked especially when his sword is on fire. Just remember to lifegems to offset the aura damage, fire resist helps too.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Since sometime today I can see faded images of all the bonfires I don't have on the travel screen. Is that from the patch or from passing some point in the game?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheQat posted:

Since sometime today I can see faded images of all the bonfires I don't have on the travel screen. Is that from the patch or from passing some point in the game?

The latter.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TheQat posted:

Happens sometime around drangleic castle though I can never really tell what exactly triggers it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's this item on a body between the first 2 bonfires in the Earthen Peak that I haven't been able to figure out how to get. If you along toward the archer manikin it almost looks like you can jump to it but I've never managed to make it across.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

neetengie posted:

pls take that bdsm mask off thnx

No. :whip:

StarkWhite posted:

Yeah that's not really optimal. You should be powerstancing those.

There's a time for dancing and there's a time for power stancing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dis astranagant posted:

There's this item on a body between the first 2 bonfires in the Earthen Peak that I haven't been able to figure out how to get. If you along toward the archer manikin it almost looks like you can jump to it but I've never managed to make it across.

Try falling

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010
Got through Smelter Demon last night. Turns out it, if you throw 20 Lightening Spears and have a moderate amount of faith you can just about kill anything. I only cheered for 10 minutes after I had my victory.

Is anyone else having problems with getting their microphone working? I have the option enabled, mic plugged in via USB, and the mic works because I'm on TeamSpeak at the same time. It has somehow worked JUST ONCE, and we promptly died in Bellfry Luna.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Attestant posted:

No. :whip:

There's a time for dancing and there's a time for power stancing.

The time is now. The place is here.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
gently caress, I didn't know you had to use the human effigy and accidently threw one into a bonfire, now the white stones don't work. How do I reverse/get rid of this?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I really like Dark Fog in this game. Actually very useful and painful. An unprepared invader can quickly find themselves in a bad situation. Mind you if they are prepared it's not so impressive.

Always carry poison cures if your going to throw down the red soapstone folks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Crusher posted:

You're still totally able to enter the fog to the boss if you're invaded; it sends the bell defenders home.
Yeah, but I'm in the Bellfry because I want to, you know, kill the Gargoyles. I'm saying its nice and easy now that the gate's open and I can run, but I do very little damage to the Gargs with my bastard sword right now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Metanaut posted:

gently caress, I didn't know you had to use the human effigy and accidently threw one into a bonfire, now the white stones don't work. How do I reverse/get rid of this?

Wait a while or go to another bonfire. I did the same thing.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Drakes posted:

What are you running with? I was two shooting the knights with the great sword and maybe 4 shooting with another great sword.

The smelter demon needs some learning time. Like after a plunge he may do the close range explosion so raise your if you can make it away. His 3 hit combo attack is easily dodged with right/left/side dodge. Last hit should never be blocked especially when his sword is on fire. Just remember to lifegems to offset the aura damage, fire resist helps too.

"try ranged combat"

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

word, I really like the claymore moveset, will I regret upgrading it past +6 and using titanite chunks, ie is there a way better greatsword?

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Jose posted:

Can anyone give me advice on how to build a mage? I know I need lots of int and atn but not really sure how else I build my character. Will I need to level dex/str for melee weapons/shields ever? What about end/vgr/vit?

I put souls into STR and DEX so I could use the 100% phys shield you get after Pursuer and the Flame sword. Casters really suck at the start of the game and with those 2 items your not dependent on using spells that dont do much damage. Once you get Greater Heavy Soul Arrow and some +attunement gear it gets better. The rest goes into INT, ATN, and FTH.

I followed this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693331-dark-souls-ii/68853098

It's worked out really well.

bobby2times fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 28, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
gently caress me I just killed the blacksmith you free up that trades you boss weapons apparently. He did NOT look like a friendly NPC at all. :smith:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The Pursuer kicks my rear end every time I even look at him, I'm so frustrated. He even kicked my rear end when I had two phantoms helping me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

The Pursuer kicks my rear end every time I even look at him, I'm so frustrated. He even kicked my rear end when I had two phantoms helping me.

He's optional, so you can leave him for the time being and come back at level 100 or something and completely destroy him.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

keyframe posted:

gently caress me I just killed the blacksmith you free up that trades you boss weapons apparently. He did NOT look like a friendly NPC at all. :smith:

All NPCs are friendly proven otherwise. Who kills npcs? An rear end in a top hat that's who. I'm going to bluestone fun police you :colbert:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

FirstPersonShitter posted:

word, I really like the claymore moveset, will I regret upgrading it past +6 and using titanite chunks, ie is there a way better greatsword?

Most greatswords have that moveset, iirc Mastodon Greatsword has amazing scaling at +10 (either A or high B), but the R2 is a downward swing, I think with the 2hand R2 it's the piercing move.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Try rolling to his right. That's pretty much the entire trick to him. Everything he does is telegraphed a mile out and pretty easy to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Metanaut posted:

You start the game with an item that basically says "returns you to online play". I forget the name because I've never used it, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that's what its for.

Read descriptions!

keyframe posted:

Have you played DS1? If so, if you're talking about the NPC I think you are (She? Not he.) then that's perfectly understandable, yeah. :smith:

The good news is in this game you can still interact with dead NPCs. I hear there's like a tombstone or something?