Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So I got gifted this game, so hey, I can follow with the LP. My very first run I got to the final phase of the boss. Unfortunately, I had no one with any combat experience (they all died), so they enemy stormed onto my ship and wrecked my poo poo. I did pretty well, had nearly everything upgraded completely (of course I was playing easy) and unlocked some more cool stuff.

Will definitely be following this so I can learn to not suck and stop my guys dying from asphyxiation. I had about 11 crew members overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Invenerable posted:

Is Kestrel Type C as terribly boring as it seems, or am I just playing it wrong?

IIRC it's statistically the worst ship, as in if you add together the value of all its stuff it has the lowest scrap value. It's boring AND it sucks.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

IIRC it's statistically the worst ship, as in if you add together the value of all its stuff it has the lowest scrap value. It's boring AND it sucks.

I think it's hard to compare the Kestrel B to the Kestrel C, since those 4 basic lasers on the Kestrel B allow you to tear through ships early game, but dual lasers are incredibly efficient and a great use of a weapon slot later on.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
oops - crap!

Man, I hate how one tiny slip in concentration can totally bone you in this game. I was cruising along in the Mantis A ship with a full crew and 2 badass Mantid borders when I hit the rock event that unlocks their ship. I had forgotten that they go into FTL mode right at the start, and even though I was smashing their faces in, I had forgotten to take out their piloting.

Next thing I know, my 2 badass borders are warped out of the system :doh:

I was hoping that when I met the rock in the next system they would be there, but sadly, it wasn't the case. Oh well, at least I unlocked the Rock cruiser.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 28, 2014

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

Man, I hate how one tiny slip in concentration can totally bone you in this game. I was cruising along in the Mantis A ship with a full crew and 2 badass Mantid borders when I hit the rock event that unlocks their ship. I had forgotten that they go into FTL mode right at the start, and even though I was smashing their faces in, I had forgotten to take out their piloting.

Next thing I know, my 2 badass borders are warped out of the system :doh:

I was hoping that when I met the rock in the next system they would be there, but sadly, it wasn't the case. Oh well, at least I unlocked the Rock cruiser.

If you did smash their ship then and there you would have gotten the reward for killing the ship and that's it. You have to let them jump if you want to unlock the ship.
I just take out their weapons if they have a chance of hurting me and let them jump.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I admit I wonder if you can call it a design issue that even a new player can usually coast through the middle of the game without too many problems if they don't die catastrophically in the first system, only to have the boss be such a monumental brickshit roadblock? It's frustratingly possible to simply never get access to tools appropriate for dealing with the flagship by simple bad chance.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Major_JF posted:

If you did smash their ship then and there you would have gotten the reward for killing the ship and that's it. You have to let them jump if you want to unlock the ship.

Yeah, you're--you're there to prove your worth to them so they'll open up diplomatic channels with you. You're not there to kill them all and blow their ship into little flaming pieces. Disabling their piloting so that they couldn't get away while you murdered them would have been pretty counterproductive.

EDIT: wait poo poo why are we talking about this? The OP asked us to not spoil the ship unlock quests.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I admit I wonder if you can call it a design issue that even a new player can usually coast through the middle of the game without too many problems if they don't die catastrophically in the first system, only to have the boss be such a monumental brickshit roadblock? It's frustratingly possible to simply never get access to tools appropriate for dealing with the flagship by simple bad chance.

I think it's fair to say it is one. It doesn't make this not an awesome game, though. What was the last game you can remember that wasn't flawed in some way? The only one I can come up with off the top of my head was original Doom, but even that had a goodly allotment of bugs, even if they didn't have any major impact on the gameplay, for the most part. FTL is an amazingly fun and absorbing game, but it does have a couple of glaring flaws, with this being pretty much the worst of them, followed to a photo-finish by the idiotic insistence of the devs on including only a crippled save system (IIRC the original intent was to have no saves at all). Please, every game developer ever, you are no longer collecting coins in an arcade, artificial difficulty adds nothing. If you like "Iron Man" runs enough, put an option in for that play mode, but please, let the rest of us save an re-load like normal people. It's still a really fun game, though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

An LP thread isn't the megathread? :v:

And yeah, I just keep reaching the final boss, keep getting annihilated. Three hour runs, just down the drain. It is a bit annoying, guess I just need to be more lucky next time.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

An LP thread isn't the megathread? :v:

And yeah, I just keep reaching the final boss, keep getting annihilated. Three hour runs, just down the drain. It is a bit annoying, guess I just need to be more lucky next time.

But that's kind of the point to a rogue-like as well isn't it? You're supposed to learn along the way, and when you do finally get the tools you need and are able to win the game, it feels all the more rewarding.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PotatoManJack posted:

But that's kind of the point to a rogue-like as well isn't it? You're supposed to learn along the way, and when you do finally get the tools you need and are able to win the game, it feels all the more rewarding.

The problem being that you can have a "viable to sector 8" build that will fail against the flagship, guaranteed. Ideally the game leading up to the final boss should be teaching you the tools you need to beat that boss, but that's not reliably the case here.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Momplestiltskin posted:

If you have already been a crewmember and want to become one again, you must write a biography of at least five sentences about your crew member's history and personal thoughts. In fact, even if you have not already been a crew member you can do this. If you write the bio you can jump to the front of the line (obviously behind anyone else who already wrote a bio). Because the first five have been waiting patiently, they are exempt from this and will be next. You can still throw your hat in for a crew name without a bio, but you will be behind anyone who has written a bio. The list is pretty long right now.

Why not, I'm bored as poo poo and feel like writing a story for the archive. Also Momblestiltskin, you should really link to each biography in the OP

My Head Canon posted:

Hai Wan, nickname "Highwang", is a man of unusual luck. Across his long military service of 24 Federation Cruisers, many would either fall in battle to Rebel fighters or other disasters and Wan would be one of the few survivors of every instance. His former training buddies often call him "Death Sentence" due to this, which has taken a toll on his confidence in the longrun. Despite many people calling out his amazing survivability, Wan does not fancy gambling in the slightest. A squandered childhood involving flight sim videogames and science fiction movies has lead to a strong passion and aptitude for learning how to pilot and maintain various aerial vehicles. He is often seen wearing a crimson shirt.

Despite his ghastly past, his last sortie went by uneventfully with a completed mission. Perhaps Wan's luck is finally turning around?

Highwang fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 28, 2014

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

I finally beat it!

On Easy, using Engi A...

I was doing fairly well throughout getting cloaking, stealth weapons, and three combat drones. That is, until boarding became more common. The last stand of the final boss was very close as all the boarders were ripping through my Engis

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The problem being that you can have a "viable to sector 8" build that will fail against the flagship, guaranteed. Ideally the game leading up to the final boss should be teaching you the tools you need to beat that boss, but that's not reliably the case here.

I used to feel this way, but a few Flagship wins got me thinking differently. An all-offense ship can get to The Last Stand with little trouble, especially with powerful stuff like the Pre-Igniter, but it won't be enough because the Flagship isn't even close to a fair fight. The Flagship is a test of observation and defense, if anything. It tests how prepared you are for every issue, from multiple missiles to boarding drones and now hacking. My first experience with the Flagship was panic, but then I realized that their weapon systems are isolated and every special attack has a weakness. It's still possible to only get stores/pickups that make the Flagship unbeatable, but it's also possible to take it apart through multiple methods.

I think one playthrough won't necessarily teach you everything you need for the Flagship, but as a rougelike it does teach you everything through multiple playthroughs. Even the overcharge attacks are just intense versions of existing stuff. If anything, FTL teaches you to not rely on gimmicks or feel okay with getting by on the skin of your teeth. The aim isn't just to survive the Flagship, it's to rip it to pieces without taking more than a few points of damage (translation: Mantis boarding party with a Zoltan shield and Stealth).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oof, having all the repair stuff on the far side of the last zone really hurt you there. If you'd been able to repair even once, things might have turned out very differently.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
Season Two Begins with a MEGA EPISODE. Why is it now season 2? Why not?

Season Two, Episode One: "Drunken Stealth Mastery" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8Y6SCmQOI

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Momplestiltskin posted:

Season Two, Episode One: "Drunken Stealth Mastery" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8Y6SCmQOI

Oh god. Drinking challenges with the stealth ship. You madman!

This is going to be beautiful and glorious.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure if the worst design award goes to the ship(s) with no shield, the ship armed only with a rock catapult and designed to be staffed by suicidal crew, or the boarding-based ship with no medbay.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Worst layout definitely goes to the Zoltan A. If you think Stealth B is hard to vent, holy poo poo. One serious fire can genuinely be game-ending on the Zoltan A.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Corbeau posted:

Worst layout definitely goes to the Zoltan A. If you think Stealth B is hard to vent, holy poo poo. One serious fire can genuinely be game-ending on the Zoltan A.

Really? I don't know, I got a win my very first try with Zoltan A.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Beamed posted:

Really? I don't know, I got a win my very first try with Zoltan A.

I said the worst layout. There are much worse overall designs. Like almost any Stealth cruiser.

But man, you have to vent a lot of critical systems if one gets crispy. Just look at that bottom pod:

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

:stare: While drunk, You successfully repelled 4 mantis with 2 humans and a zoltan and took no losses, without door upgrades?!?

Corbeau posted:

I agree the Zoltan A has a bad venting layout, but at least it starts with a decent augment, and passable weapons...

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, the stealth ship does have a third door to space. It is on the line connecting engines to piloting. It is understandable why you didn't see it because it looks like there is ship below where it vents to.

Edit: and 3 seconds after I post you find the door to space.

Edit the second: So that this post is useful again you can control all the doors with Z and X.

Major_JF fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 28, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Major_JF posted:

Ok, the stealth ship does have a third door to space. It is on the line connecting engines to piloting. It is understandable why you didn't see it because it looks like there is ship below where it vents to.

Ah yes, keep watching, you may find that I discover this long after it would have already been quite useful.

e: Thanks for the above tip! I am pretty terrible about using hotkeys so I will probably forget, but maybe it will stick

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I said the worst layout. There are much worse overall designs. Like almost any Stealth cruiser.

But man, you have to vent a lot of critical systems if one gets crispy. Just look at that bottom pod:

For the sake of comparison, look at the Rock C.

I've managed to run angry 4 Mantis boarding crews for several laps around that ship, without them ever coming into contact with my crew. Pretty much every major system is easily ventable. Getting your doors hacked is kind of a bitch though.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry but I had to close that video, there's only so much belching in my ear I'm willing to take. :(

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

whitewhale posted:

Sorry but I had to close that video, there's only so much belching in my ear I'm willing to take. :(

Seconded. :(

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Corbeau posted:

Someone's never played with Rock B then because it if that is your criteria then not only is the ship unventable but because it lacks a Door subsystem fires will spread like crazy.

Red_October_7000 posted:

I think it's fair to say it is one.
Its fundamentally still based upon the roguelike genre meaning that not having a save system is all right.

RabidWeasel posted:

Scrap value is utterly useless because in some ships you start off with systems that you can't get otherwise (Kestrel B, Stealth C, Federation Cruisers A/B/C) and in other cases the rarity of certain parts of the ship probably outweigh their scrap value (Lanius are a pain in the rear end to come by).

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 28, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

whitewhale posted:

my dad posted:

Seconded. :(

Sorry, I will shut Number One out the air lock. He is truly a classless individual, but let's be fair it only happened like 3 times? The rest of the run will be more or less sober, so you can at least pick up then and enjoy some belch free stealthing. Particularly a shame since my dad is actually a crew member aboard our current ship, but these things do happen when we experiment with new first officers and exciting beverages.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 28, 2014

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Woo, update!

I think there should be a ship that starts with two vulcans (only four pips of weapon power) and nothing else of significance. I mean, just the big gun, piloting and a medbay. No teleport, no shields, no cloak, no hacking or drones. One-two pips in engines.

It should be called the Impossible Dream.

Also, I am very into the Rock C, got my best score yet with it when I unlocked the Crystal Cruiser. Had all system slots filled and maxed and scrap left over when I beat the flagship. Also think rocks might be the best boarders, even better than mantises.

The math could go both ways, depending on whether mantises get the 20% ADDED or MULTIPLIED. I'd think it is added. Even if it is multiplied, rocks are also immune to fire so you can set important poo poo on fire and have them guard it (smugly).

Base rock hits mantis: 100 health, 10 damage - 10 hits.
Skilled rock hits mantis: opponent 100 health, 12 damage - 8,3 hits
Base mantis hits rock: 150 health, 15 damage - 10 hits.
Skilled mantis hits rock (added): 150 health, 17 damage - 8,8 hits
Skilled mantis hits rock (multiplied): 150 health, 20 damage - 7,5 hits

Of course there is also the issue of movement speed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Duuk posted:

Woo, update!

I think there should be a ship that starts with two vulcans (only four pips of weapon power) and nothing else of significance. I mean, just the big gun, piloting and a medbay. No teleport, no shields, no cloak, no hacking or drones. One-two pips in engines.

It should be called the Impossible Dream.

I want it. But no medbay. Just 2x Vulcan, 4 pip of weapon, pilot, and engines. Start with 1 Lanius crewmember so you don't get an O2 system either. You have to buy everything else. On the bright side, you're unlikely to take systems damage early on with no systems! :v:

quote:

Stuff about rockmen vs. mantis

Of course there is also the issue of movement speed.

Movement speed is the killer for me. Healing rockmen after fights is so loving tedious, and you can't safely kite your rockmen around the enemy ship if they get in trouble.

Rockmen boarders plus firebombs is a pretty hilarious combination though.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'd recommend hitbox if you're gonna do any more livestreaming, way less delay for the co-commentator.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Nalesh posted:

I'd recommend hitbox if you're gonna do any more livestreaming, way less delay for the co-commentator.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion!

On a kind of related note; I wanted more time to do testing and prepare for the LP, but (as we allude to in the video) I was invited to go to a concert for free the evening of recording, so we did it a lot later than I had planned and I wasn't able to correct some of the twitch settings that were causing problems or find an alternative. You may also notice my vocabulary gets a little less creative and tends to rely on constantly cursing when I drink. I'm not sure I realized this until watching the video afterward. Last note, I also edited this literally right after recording it, so if you notice anything weird that would be because I was drunkenly editing using only windows movie maker at 2 AM.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 28, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Inadequately posted:

I'm not sure if the worst design award goes to the ship(s) with no shield, the ship armed only with a rock catapult and designed to be staffed by suicidal crew, or the boarding-based ship with no medbay.

I think the suicide bomber build is really good. It starts off rough but man it builds up quick due to the bonus from killing the crew rather than the ship.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Highwang posted:

I think the suicide bomber build is really good. It starts off rough but man it builds up quick due to the bonus from killing the crew rather than the ship.
Also for the most part suicide bombing isn't that horrible of a tactic in that once you upgrade teleporters you can pretty much get your boarding crew up to snuff using the drone ships.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I have yet to reach the dream of two vulcans, but two chain lasers and a pike beam works pretty well at slicing things up when combined with a pre-loader. At least until I got to the flagship. Phase 1 died immediately because all my laser shots hit the 4-point shield. Phase 2 half of them missed and I was so flustered waiting for the recharge that I forgot to take out the missile gun.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woo, I only died once! :v:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Momplestiltskin posted:

You lightweight. Your judgement was already impaired by the time you finished the first beer. :D

I've only made it about halfway through the video (had to leave for work), looking forward to finishing it out.

About the belches, I dunno, seems appropriate for this type of video. It's a drinking challege, come on.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Bruceski posted:

I have yet to reach the dream of two vulcans, but two chain lasers and a pike beam works pretty well at slicing things up when combined with a pre-loader. At least until I got to the flagship. Phase 1 died immediately because all my laser shots hit the 4-point shield. Phase 2 half of them missed and I was so flustered waiting for the recharge that I forgot to take out the missile gun.

You really need to find a way to either debilitate the cockpit or shields on flagship, because iirc it has max systems in everything except stealth from what I've seen. My first victory in FTL was only because I could MC the cockpit and rend their evasion. Feddie/C won because boarding the cockpit would at least tank their evasion by 50% and I was able to ion bomb the shields for my floating dick-gun.

Flagship is a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

RickVoid posted:

You lightweight. Your judgement was already impaired by the time you finished the first beer. :D

I've only made it about halfway through the video (had to leave for work), looking forward to finishing it out.

About the belches, I dunno, seems appropriate for this type of video. It's a drinking challege, come on.

Hah! Well, to be fair, I had consumed 3 beers before starting the challenge and I don't weigh very much. I am glad to see someone enjoys the sweet music of digestion.

• Locked thread