Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I actually find 1066 King of Hungary to be a great Catholic start. You're isolated from foreign threats and your neighbors (HRE/Poland/Byzantines) don't really care about gobbling you up and make for great allies. To your east are pagans you can gobble up (with those nice alliances to keep Cumania from loving things up). To your south is Croatia, a weak Catholic state that's easy to consume piecemeal (and grants you a coastline). And to your north is Poland, a strong Catholic state that you can start bullying when you're powerful enough.

In fact, you can start even start as a duke in Hungary and have a great start too. Start as either the duke of Transylvania or Nyitra (claimants to the throne) and learn how to maneuver within the realm before going for the head honcho.

Bloody Pancreas fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The main reason I advocate starting in Ireland is that you are seriously limited in what you're capable of doing so the game will usually be played on speed five for a really long time. With plenty of time on your hands you'l generally start to experiment with little consequence for failure. You can't declare invasions, conquests, holy wars, etc so you van't get in over you head and you have to take it slow and consolidate power over time. You have a very easy goal: form the kingdom of Ireland that can potentially lead to a long term goal: form Brittania. Also, you learn one of the big things about the game early on, how to handle succession. To me this is more important than learning how to handle vassals although vassals are definitely a close second in terms of importance (if you want to learn vassal management Byzantium or the Abbasids in 867 or the HRE are fun options).

My first real Ireland start ended after 100 years. My final ruler's father owned all of Ireland and the kingdom of Andalusia after having gotten spectacularly lucky during a crusade. Then after fighting off the Moor counter-invasion he died at the age of 88 while on a boat back to Iberia, having devastated the lands of North Africa as the final chapter in a life of glory. His heir, the eldest of three sons faced an immediate rebellion by both of his younger brothers because hey maybe don't grant your sons lands that happen to overlap and give all of them claims on each other. Mercenaries crushed the youngest brother, but before the peace could be sealed my ruler died from natural causes at the age of twenty-two. Taking over as the youngest of the sons, I used the mercenaries so recently turned against me to fight off my older brother and imprison him. This is when I found out about the Kinslayer attribute. The pope granted an absolution during the second Moorish counter-invasion, but this was the least of my problems and my ruler died at the age of 39 with no children* - ending the game with the nickname 'the cursed'.

* little bit of advice, never marry any of your male children to a much older woman who also happens to have an intrigue skill over 25. Couldn't divorce her, couldn't kill her, couldn't get her knocked up. Game over.

So what I'm trying to say here is that I learned a lot from Ireland.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
What are people's child records? My 65 year old king just had no #17 :v:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

DarkCrawler posted:

Switch to Gavelkind immediately

:getin:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ThePutty posted:

Switch to Gavelkind immediately

:getin:

Unreformed Norse, been playing with Gavelkind the whole game. Been conquering enough that half my sons are guaranteed to be counts at the least.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Torrannor posted:

When Ireland became tutorial island, it was only necessary to own 50% of a duchy/kingdom to form/usurp it. Since Ireland has so many two province duchies, it made for easy expansion. Start as the Duke of Munster, and you only need to fabricate claims on two other counties to form/usurp two additional duchies, and then use the de jure CB to get to the 7 counties necessary to form the Kingdom of Ireland.

Now that you need both counties in a two province duchy to form or usurp said duchy, Ireland is a much slower start.

The Ireland Munchad start is blazingly fast though if you play it that way as there's so many claimants in the area. I think if you get lucky on invites you only need 1 fabricate to form Ireland, and Wales and Brittany get thrown in virtually for free once you're king. I'm pretty sure you could form the empire on your first character if you get lucky, and I know for sure you can get it with your second character.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Is it just me or did they tweak the newest portraits? Turks in my game are now actually brown-skinned instead of gray, and Indian women used to look like 20 years older than their actual age (19-year-olds with crow's feet and wrinkles, and would only get worse as they aged) but now seem to more or less line up with their actual age.

I like it, now that Turks don't have that weird gray skin I think it's probably my favorite portrait pack.

Yeh I always found it weird how the Turks where grey. It was like they all had a skin disease or something.

DarkCrawler posted:

Thus far mine is 12 soon to be 13 maybe 14 if my tumble with the lover paid off. Yeh sure I have alot of people wanting my titles but at the end of the day at least the dynasty is safe.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
New patch is out:

code:
2014-04-28: v2.1.4
--------------------

MAJOR
- Fixed broken MP from v2.1.2, for real

MINOR
- Save games now written to virtual memory before writing them physically to improve stability.
- Some trait cost fixes, all trait costs lowered.
- Can no longer press the create Hungary button multiple times.
- Fixed a bug where spouses were no longer allies.
- Fixed a bug where you could assimilate into revolt titles.
- Fixed a bug where revolting as a patrician could give you the wrong government type.
- Indian holy orders can now fight other indian religions.

INTERFACE
- Updated heir description for piety name in dynasty view.
- Updated interaction description for piety name in interaction view.
- Can no longer press the red skulls of people killed by rabble.
- Bug Fix where realm view used to show demesne incomes instead of tax incomes. 
- Fixed a bug where marriage notification showed that a character was marrying himself.
- Title and CB selection in diplomatic interactions now gets sorted by CB type and title name.
- Added icons for the Order of Addai.

MODDING
- spawn_unit matchmul no longer counts in event spawned and mercenery units.
- Added hostile_within_group flag for religion groups which decides if holy orders will fight other religions within the same group.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

quote:

MINOR
- Save games now written to virtual memory before writing them physically to improve stability.

Uhh.. :crossarms: How on earth do you even do this in C++?

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Please tell me that fixes ironman. I'm at year 1018 and saves are taking 6 seconds while a month of time passing takes like 5. I really like ironman but Jesus its taking forever to play the game...

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I'm feeling hopeful about the MP fixes. At least it was still playable with around 7/9 of us.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Darth Various posted:

Speaking of bullshit revolts:

Three simultaneous revolt declarations with a fourth already running. Sure is fun playing whack-a-mole all over Tartaria.

Oh my gently caress, did you do a Dulo/Bolghar start too? I'm just past 1200 in my game and have formed Tataria. Three quarters of my time is spent walking my levies back and forth across the entirety of the empire to smash Jim McOrthodox/TengriSon's latest religious revolt. I think I'm up to 20 of one religious group's revolts, I'll have to screenshot it when I'm home from work later.

Conversions have been super slow, thanks to the Fatimids blobbing out of control, taking over all the Muslim holy sites, and genociding the Abbasids. Sunni MA's been stuck at a piddling 30-40% for years, and was well into the negatives before I holy war'd the gently caress out of Eastern Europe.

Also the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde just showed up. This one's bout to get fun yeehaw!

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Zig-Zag posted:

Please tell me that fixes ironman. I'm at year 1018 and saves are taking 6 seconds while a month of time passing takes like 5. I really like ironman but Jesus its taking forever to play the game...

I'm hoping it fixes Iron man because drat it's ridiculous with the auto save at the moment. Even on an SSD it's still taking about the same time to save as it is for a month to pass which is rediculous but I love iron man because I have poor willpower in CKII so save scumming is too tempting.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

DrPop posted:

Oh my gently caress, did you do a Dulo/Bolghar start too? I'm just past 1200 in my game and have formed Tataria. Three quarters of my time is spent walking my levies back and forth across the entirety of the empire to smash Jim McOrthodox/TengriSon's latest religious revolt. I think I'm up to 20 of one religious group's revolts, I'll have to screenshot it when I'm home from work later.

Conversions have been super slow, thanks to the Fatimids blobbing out of control, taking over all the Muslim holy sites, and genociding the Abbasids. Sunni MA's been stuck at a piddling 30-40% for years, and was well into the negatives before I holy war'd the gently caress out of Eastern Europe.

Don't forget Erkki Suomenuskonen. Yeah that sounds like my game.

The solution to conversion rate, BTW, is to grab some heretic courtiers, wait for the event where they try to convert you to their heresy, and grab the counties needed to form the Ibadi Caliphate. Ibadi Islam in my game has over 100% authority from my piety as religious head alone. This kind of assumes you're swole enough to take on the rest of Sunni Islam yourself. :smug:

E: vvvv Same sites. The CK2 wiki has details, they're correct for Ibadi at least.

Darth Various fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 28, 2014

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Darth Various posted:

Don't forget Erkki Suomenuskonen. Yeah that sounds like my game.

The solution to conversion rate, BTW, is to grab some heretic courtiers, wait for the event where they try to convert you to their heresy, and grab the counties needed to form the Ibadi Caliphate. Ibadi Islam in my game has over 100% authority from my piety as religious head alone. This kind of assumes you're swole enough to take on the rest of Sunni Islam alone. :smug:

Are the Ibadi sites any different from standard Sunni ones?

I probably could've tried that had I known about it prior to starting this game, whoops. I think I'll be dealing with the Mongolians for the next century or so now.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Zig-Zag posted:

It all depends. Strictly the data is being written twice now, but it can do the writing to disk in larger chunks, which has better throughput than smaller chunks.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Is there a reason only certain duchies can be granted to vassals while others can be given to couriers?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Anyone else having an issue with super high infant mortality rates? My latest game had a nephew inherit titles after the 3 kids of the ruler died. The nephew had 9 kids and only 1 reached adulthood, and then that one had 6, and only 1 reached adulthood again.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Beamed posted:

Uhh.. :crossarms: How on earth do you even do this in C++?

It could be an obtuse way of saying they construct the save game in memory before writing it out to disk.

Any memory your processes use will be virtual memory, simply because it makes software so much simpler and safer, since you don't have to worry about your programs touching the memory of another program.

You potentially may get better throughput by mmaping the output file, writing your save game to the address returned, then msyncing and munmapping, since it will not be slowed down in user-space when putting the save file together, and msync can save the contents to disk without intervention in userspace.

However, this is from my knowledge of how Linux works, Windows may not behave similarly, you need to know the size of the file in advance, and if you're on 32-bit, you may end up with save files large enough you can't mmap them.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Anyone else having an issue with super high infant mortality rates?

Yes, but I may be personally responsible for that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Toadsniff posted:

Is there a reason only certain duchies can be granted to vassals while others can be given to couriers?

A few reasons. Usually if you hover the mouse over the greyed out button it'll tell you why.

1) Are you in a war that relates to the duchy title?
2) Are you gavelkind succession and trying to give a title to your eldest son?
3) Is that your last title of that tier or higher? (last kingdom if you're a king, last duchy as a duke, etc.)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Edison was a dick posted:

It could be an obtuse way of saying they construct the save game in memory before writing it out to disk.

Any memory your processes use will be virtual memory, simply because it makes software so much simpler and safer, since you don't have to worry about your programs touching the memory of another program.

You potentially may get better throughput by mmaping the output file, writing your save game to the address returned, then msyncing and munmapping, since it will not be slowed down in user-space when putting the save file together, and msync can save the contents to disk without intervention in userspace.

However, this is from my knowledge of how Linux works, Windows may not behave similarly, you need to know the size of the file in advance, and if you're on 32-bit, you may end up with save files large enough you can't mmap them.

Yeah, this is my point; basically what they're saying is they pre-build the file before outputting it to file, which..is what is happening anyway? I'm unfamiliar with mmap and msync though, you may be right in that regard.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

ulmont posted:

A few reasons. Usually if you hover the mouse over the greyed out button it'll tell you why.

1) Are you in a war that relates to the duchy title?
2) Are you gavelkind succession and trying to give a title to your eldest son?
3) Is that your last title of that tier or higher? (last kingdom if you're a king, last duchy as a duke, etc.)

Currently I'm the Emperor of Carpathia and right after the conclusion of the war with each country I would create the titles for all the duchies. I probably shouldn't be creating the titles since regional lords will fight each other for them later but I like to make sure that the person who owns a duchy doesn't own any land within it.

Was gavelkind originally, cheated to make it primo.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

I probably shouldn't be creating the titles since regional lords will fight each other for them later but I like to make sure that the person who owns a duchy doesn't own any land within it.

This seems completely backward to me, and will cause massive amounts of internal strife. I personally prefer if every single duke only has the land with his duchy and nothing else.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

SeaTard posted:

This seems completely backward to me, and will cause massive amounts of internal strife. I personally prefer if every single duke only has the land with his duchy and nothing else.

I prefer, as much as possible, giving the duke only one county in his duchy (but vassalage over all his de jure lands), to make sure that his direct powerbase is minimal, at least to start with.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

It seemed like a good idea at the time because I knew that people would just hate everyone and kind of ignore me.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I prefer, as much as possible, giving the duke only one county in his duchy (but vassalage over all his de jure lands), to make sure that his direct powerbase is minimal, at least to start with.

Yeh I always give the duke the capital county of the duchy (I'm OCD in giving the duke-to-be the county that goes by the same name as the duchy even if he is a traitorous little bastard) and will periodically purge the dukes back down to one county a piece by fabricating claims all over the show.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

code:
INTERFACE
- Title and CB selection in diplomatic interactions now gets sorted by CB type and title name.

Yeesh, put it back, put it back, put it back!

It makes it more difficult to hand out titles after a conquest, as you used to be able to just scroll to the top to select duchy titles.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ugh. So had an Aquatine Prince in my Byzantine Court, saw that he's up to inherit the kingdom (and his kids are of my dynasty), so granted him a county, with full intentions of pressing his claim and have him be vassalized... then some lunatic assassinated King Louis.

Now I gotta beat the snot out of the Prince to get my county back and hope he doesn't slaughter my sister or his daughter in retaliation.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh. So had an Aquatine Prince in my Byzantine Court, saw that he's up to inherit the kingdom (and his kids are of my dynasty), so granted him a county, with full intentions of pressing his claim and have him be vassalized... then some lunatic assassinated King Louis.

Now I gotta beat the snot out of the Prince to get my county back and hope he doesn't slaughter my sister or his daughter in retaliation.

Why does a vassal who inherits a title of lower level than yours automatically gain independence anyway? The exact same thing happened to me yesterday.

(Called a Jihad for Ruthenia, turns out there was a random Russian Muslim with a claim on it who got it instead of me - the Caliph. Gave that Russian's heir a county and stabbed the ruler of Ruthenia - now Ruthenia is still free AND holds a lovely county in Perm.)

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
That happens when the other title has enough crown authority to prevent titles from passing out of the country.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A while ago I could have sworn I read something about the RoI patch introducing the ability to search characters by trait in-game. Is this true or was I hallucinating, and how do you do it?

edit: As an aside, I'm really glad to see them continuing to balance the Ruler Designer. Hopefully they can find a happy medium between "GOD-KING OF A THOUSAND GENERATIONS" and "it's pointless to take anything besides a four-star background and some negative traits to balance it out."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Did conquest of Pope/Rome get fixed?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A while ago I could have sworn I read something about the RoI patch introducing the ability to search characters by trait in-game. Is this true or was I hallucinating, and how do you do it?

Yeah, you just type the name of the trait in the text box at the top of the regular character search box

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah, you just type the name of the trait in the text box at the top of the regular character search box

This was the greatest feature in the history of CK2, by the way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Until you come up empty.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

edit: As an aside, I'm really glad to see them continuing to balance the Ruler Designer. Hopefully they can find a happy medium between "GOD-KING OF A THOUSAND GENERATIONS" and "it's pointless to take anything besides a four-star background and some negative traits to balance it out."

Just go into the character finder. There's now a search bar at the top of the window where you can type in a trait and sort all the characters who have it.

EDIT: Beaten!!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SynthOrange posted:

Until you come up empty.

Well, at least then you know instead of just futilely scrolling down a long list of characters in growing desperation.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm confused about why exactly they do this. It's not like CK2 is a competitive game, and the achievements aren't available when I use the ruler designer, so I don't see how my game experience improves from not getting to play that God King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

When I use the ruler designer I actually kind of enjoy the little minigame of trying to min/max my ruler, so I'm glad that the system of attaching costs to traits exists. It's pretty easily modded out when you just want to do whatever, but the restrictions being there by default are kind of neat.

• Locked thread