Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Metanaut posted:

Perhaps you should read the descriptions : Bone of Order - Restores the link to other worlds. Used to reset a penalty for cutting the internet connection during an invasion. :smug:

I did try it, but it just said "unable to use item at the time". Luckily the effect of the effigy seemed to go away. I'll gladly take some help to get to the chariot at Huntsman's, those drat giants keep piling on me, no matter how careful I try to be. And then there's the red guy. :mad:

Yeah I'm sorry my bad.

The fight from huntsman's bonfire to the chariot gave me way more trouble than the chariot fight itself, hah. Good luck!

Gaz-L posted:

And funnily enough, I never had much issue in Tseldora. There's enough geometry there that you rarely get shot at by more than one, and the area's small enough that if you're being shot at, you're probably close enough to kill him.

Oh I agree. That's why its designed that way. Its just if you compare them, the necromaners' spell attacks are practically undodgeable and do some really bullshit homing compared to the ones in amana which I can reliably dodge every time, just by rolling. But I didn't get stuck in Tseldora or anything, for the reasons you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The ones in Tseldora are easy to dodge. The hard part is dodging them while on top of a small building surrounded by zombies and spiders. Then when you do dodge one, two more hit you anyways.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any way to report players? Even with VAC patch came across an instant-health regenerating folk

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ugh the Royal Rat Authority is such a terrible fight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kazil posted:

No it isn't.

And if you feel that way just move on, its purely optional! :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kazil posted:

It's just Sif, but without the awesome spin attacks and giant sword. :sigh:

Speaking of that, holy poo poo are Ratbros massive pubbies. The first one caught me off guard because oh god what's going on what the hell so many rats aaah- YOU DIED. But once I actually understood the mechanics it's just a fight against an over confident host who thinks their rats will protect them. My favorite was the guy who figured he'd cheese me with magic from above, until I just started raining arrows on him. When he finally realized I wasn't running out (I had like 800) he dropped down to fight, at which point I busted out the dragonrider twinblade and stunlocked him to death. :smugdog: Great way to farm Pharos' Lockstones, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's no such thing as an optional boss fight in Dark Souls. Kill all them motherfuckers.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

kazil posted:

Use a two handed weapon with a wide swing and just wail on the rats as fast as you can. I used a bastard sword and managed to kill them before the boss started attacking. Once he's alone the fight is easy if you have a 100% block shield and stay near his hind legs

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

No it isn't.

And if you feel that way just move on, its purely optional! :colbert:

Toxin is pretty terrible though. The boss itself is just "stand under it and never get hit ever".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alternatively, bring a bow and nail one of the rats. All of the little guys will charge you before the big guy even drops down, giving you time to kill them before having to fight the big one.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Been at it for 3 hours in the pirate ship cave, progressed slowly but lost about 20,000 souls and some of the mobs are no longer spawning...do the mobs ever re-spawn or am I poo poo out of luck for leveling up now?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Seems like I got lulled into a false sense of security in Harvest Valley since I just sniped everything from distance, and Covetous Demon was a scrub... but then :stare: friggin super speed knights with ball of light spears, dodgy shankers and dragon priestesses :confused: :catstare: who explode everything with fire. Not to mention the boss swimming in lake of poison who destroyed me right in the doorway. What's with all the poison everywhere I go :mad:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Haeleus posted:

Been at it for 3 hours in the pirate ship cave, progressed slowly but lost about 20,000 souls and some of the mobs are no longer spawning...do the mobs ever re-spawn or am I poo poo out of luck for leveling up now?

There's a few other places you can go at the same time--the game's fairly nonlinear. You do want to be patient enough to use your souls when you have that many early on though. (Later 20k is pocket change)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lordfrikk posted:

Seems like I got lulled into a false sense of security in Harvest Valley since I just sniped everything from distance, and Covetous Demon was a scrub... but then :stare: friggin super speed knights with ball of light spears, dodgy shankers and dragon priestesses :confused: :catstare: who explode everything with fire. Not to mention the boss swimming in lake of poison who destroyed me right in the doorway. What's with all the poison everywhere I go :mad:

Go back to the balcony area near the second bonfire in Earthen Peak. Light a torch, then approach the windmill atatched to the wall (you can just barely walk along a ledge up to it. You'll get a prompt to burn the windmill. This drains both the lake of poison in front of the boss door, and most of the poison in the boss arena. The boss is almost impossible without doing this.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Haeleus posted:

Once enemies stop respawning they're gone until you burn a bonfire ascetic which resets all spawns and increases the difficulty one stage (so in NG you get NG+ enemies, then NG++ enemies, etc.). That said, you can get ridiculous amounts of souls from assisting on bosses. Enemies not respawning is a convenience, not a punishment.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jesus christ the Ruin Sentinels :gonk:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Be careful with Ascetics - The level of the area is permanently raised, even when you start NG. So on NG, it's level 3 instead of just 2.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Bring the NPC Summon with you!

So I gather you can get titanite chunks from joining the Bellkeeper covenant... how easy is it? Do I have to go somewhere to leave the blue covenant first or something?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ciaphas posted:

Get some phantoms. Seriously, it jacks up their health but this fight is much easier with other people. Look for phantoms that look crazy tanky: if they're good, they'll draw one of the ruin sentinels away leaving you and another guy to deal with the other.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haeleus posted:

First Dark Souls game eh?

You are never poo poo out of luck. Just go drop your soapstone and co-op a boss with some other people (jolly co-operation is fun!) and you'll get like 25,000 souls instantly.

Dude don't even worry.

Do they respawn? No, until you beat the game and go to new game+, or unless you use an item to do <complex mechanics>

But don't even worry about it seriously you're never "screwed out of experience" in dark souls.

Also you don't need to hit a certain level or anything. Its really easy to over-level the content in Dark Souls, but that doesn't even really help because its all about skill.

Just. Keep. Going.

Ciaphas posted:

That's the first really hard fight.

Definitely helps to co-op.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PirateBob posted:

So I gather you can get titanite chunks from joining the Bellkeeper covenant... how easy is it? Do I have to go somewhere to leave the blue covenant first or something?

I'm pretending to be in the covenant of champions :colbert:

I'd join the covenant for reals but I hear it increases difficulty? Sooo, yeah, can't handle quite that much awe. :(

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

Zaphod42 posted:

First Dark Souls game eh?

You are never poo poo out of luck. Just go drop your soapstone and co-op a boss with some other people (jolly co-operation is fun!) and you'll get like 25,000 souls instantly.

Dude don't even worry.

Do they respawn? No, until you beat the game and go to new game+, or unless you use an item to do <complex mechanics>

But don't even worry about it seriously you're never "screwed out of experience" in dark souls.

Also you don't need to hit a certain level or anything. Its really easy to over-level the content in Dark Souls, but that doesn't even really help because its all about skill.

Just. Keep. Going.

That's the first really hard fight.

Definitely helps to co-op.

Alright, thanks. I'm having a blast with this game (killing Dragonrider was satisfying after many tries) but I got worried I'd now be screwed out of leveling unless I restarted my char.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PirateBob posted:

You can talk to Shalqouir the cat to leave your covenant, but AFAIK there are no penalties for leaving in this game.

You just talk to the bell dude to join up, then you put on the ring when you wanna have some fun. :black101:

Then you can rejoin the blue covenant whenever you like.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

So I just got the Soldier's Key and I used it to get through the door out in the hall where the one Hallow Soldier chills on the way to the big fight chamber. Thing is I died and now I can't go back through the door. It tells me it's locked despite having the key. Is this normal?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm pretending to be in the covenant of champions :colbert:

I'd join the covenant for reals but I hear it increases difficulty? Sooo, yeah, can't handle quite that much awe. :(

Go all or nothing you little bitch :colbert:
The increase isn't by much, it's still doable, but takes more time and patience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haeleus posted:

Alright, thanks. I'm having a blast with this game (killing Dragonrider was satisfying after many tries) but I got worried I'd now be screwed out of leveling unless I restarted my char.

Restarting your char is never the right answer in :darksouls:

People say things like that in the Dark Souls 1 thread, "I did X so now I'm screwed gonna roll a new char" and it only makes us :confused: because that's not really a thing that can happen.

I can understand feeling that way from playing other RPGs though, but Dark Souls really just is its own beast.

Some reviewer said that Dark Souls was like some game we shouldn't have gotten, like its a game from some bizzaro world that developed an entirely different definition of "RPG" and then saw that through to its conclusion. You kinda have to approach it that way. Your XP and your money are the same thing, you lose both by dying, but neither really matters all that much... its just different.

At the end of the day a good player can beat the game SL1 and a bad player can't beat the game even SL300, so what really matters is player skill and player progression, not character level and character progression. :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

You can talk to Shalqouir the cat to leave your covenant, but AFAIK there are no penalties for leaving in this game.

You just talk to the bell dude to join up, then you put on the ring when you wanna have some fun. :black101:

Then you can rejoin the blue covenant whenever you like.

Cool. How much of a pain is it to get the titanite chunks though?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

How do you guys deal with equipment durability? I feel like my sword is breaking every 10 or 15 minutes. I'm doing my best to avoid hitting walls but it's driving me nuts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

So I just got the Soldier's Key and I used it to get through the door out in the hall where the one Hallow Soldier chills on the way to the big fight chamber. Thing is I died and now I can't go back through the door. It tells me it's locked despite having the key. Is this normal?

I have no idea what area you're talking about (I know all 3 doors that open with Soldier's too and I'm just lost by your description)

But no doors that you unlock should stay open permanently, so maybe a bug? :ohdear:

omg chael crash posted:

How do you guys deal with equipment durability? I feel like my sword is breaking every 10 or 15 minutes. I'm doing my best to avoid hitting walls but it's driving me nuts.

You have to carry more than one weapon in this game. You're overly dependent on that one sword. Pick something else up.

When you see the red bar getting small, switch out. You shouldn't ever have to repair weapons, only rings.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Have two or more backup weapons, and since bonfires are close together it isn't heavily troublesome unless I'm shading about.
edit: bracing knuckle rings also help

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Cool. How much of a pain is it to get the titanite chunks though?

If you make it far enough in the game there's an NPC who sells infinite.

Just. Keep. Going.

Seriously, you'll have more fun if you discover things on your own, just keep playing the game! Be confident! And read what NPCs tell you!

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

omg chael crash posted:

Putting down a small white soapstone mark and co-broing for 5 minutes (only big white soapstone requires beating the boss) will have you pop back into your world with full durability

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Zaphod42 posted:

At the end of the day a good player can beat the game SL1 and a bad player can't beat the game even SL300, so what really matters is player skill and player progression, not character level and character progression. :)

This is true. I had friends who cheated infinite health in DS1 (not to invade, just to play the story) and were still bemoaning deaths via gravity. The only reason you would ever want to restart is if you're going for some strange min-maxing route to get the best stuff before you hit a certain Soul Memory. Otherwise, I would say you could COMFORTABLY beat the entire first run of the game at soul level 50 and a lot of deaths/retries.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Extreme skill last night:

Killed the gorgon boss at the top of the windmill without draining the poison out because how the hell was I supposed to figure that out, rested at the next bonfire and died trying to grab whatever item is on the burning ground next to it because it did more damage than I was expecting. Then I accidentally rolled into it again when I revived at the bonfire and lost all the souls from killing the boss.

Good thing I have a +10 greatsword and can already tear through everything with relative ease anyway. I've acquired 3/4 of the old souls on my blind run so far and I'm pretty sure I've done almost the entire game out of order. Figuring out where to go seems a lot less intuitive than in DS1 and I've pretty much just been running around aimlessly until I find a door I couldn't unlock or an NPC that wasn't there before. Didn't even know you could get to Heide's Tower until I had already killed The Lost Sinner.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 28, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jessant posted:

Putting down a small white soapstone mark and co-broing for 5 minutes (only big white soapstone requires beating the boss) will have you pop back into your world with full durability

That's humanity not durability :downs:

Durability repairs at bonfires. If you're breaking weapons between bonfires, then you need more weapons.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Killed the because how the hell was I supposed to figure that out

Two ways. Either "Hey, I wonder if I could..." (it makes total sense that it would work, its just the sort of thing that you wouldn't expect the game to have programming to recognize, so most gamers have "learned" not to try things like that)

Or somebody could be nice enough to leave an orange message :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 28, 2014

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I have no idea what area you're talking about (I know all 3 doors that open with Soldier's too and I'm just lost by your description)

But no doors that you unlock should stay open permanently, so maybe a bug? :ohdear:

It's the door in the long hallway leading up to the fight with The Last Giant. The other door which I opened was the one that lead to the room where I got a small white soapstone.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Durability repairs at bonfires. If you're breaking weapons between bonfires, then you need more weapons.

Durability estus charges and spell charges come back with the small white soapstone gg nerd

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

Visit bonfires frequently, they return your equipment to full durability so long as nothing's broken. Don't just light them and continue on as that doesn't do anything but set your spawn point. I've only had something break once (though it was during a boss fight so that wasn't great :v:).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

A successful coop session is treated as a bonfire visit. It will fully repair your weapons and restore your estus. If it isn't successful though then you've wasted even more weapon durability.

The fire sword you can get in the forest makes for a good backup weapon until you can afford to upgrade more than one thing.

VVV You could preform a successful coop session with a spare weapon too fully repair your main one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

neetengie posted:

Durability estus charges and spell charges come back with the small white soapstone gg nerd

So his advise is to co-op with broken weapons and if you win they'll repair themselves?

That doesn't make any sense.

If your weapons aren't broken its easier to just rest at a bonfire. If they are, you're a dick trying to do that. Just go repair them at the blacksmith.

I guess if you have a ton of good weapons then you can use a different non-broken one while co-oping, but... then wouldn't you just use the non-broken one anyways? If you've got lots of good weapons then durability isn't a concern.

When is it easier to successfully co-op than it is to go to a bonfire? :psyduck:

I'll admit once I co-op'd smelter to get my spell charges back, but I felt like a dick doing it because it meant I wasn't helping co-op to my fullest potential.