Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

End of Life Guy posted:

Any place around that does Legacy ? The event locator on the mothership only works if the stores input their events, and not many do.

Hotsauce does Monday night legacy, should be 35 - 45 minutes from most of Schaumburg. I cannot see any legacy events on Pastimes' event page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
3-0-1 for 2nd with double Sigiled Starfish goodness. Also had 2 Sigiled Skinks who did work for me. Scrying every turn feels good. Rares in prize packs were underwhelming unfortunately -- Mana Confluence and a Kruphix were the only ones to speak of.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Smashing Link posted:

3-0-1 for 2nd with double Sigiled Starfish goodness. Also had 2 Sigiled Skinks who did work for me. Scrying every turn feels good.

I had a Skink in my Saturday deck and a Starfish in my Sunday deck, and I wish I could've played a deck that ran both. Having that much control over what you're gonna pull is great. :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I had a Skink in my Saturday deck and a Starfish in my Sunday deck, and I wish I could've played a deck that ran both. Having that much control over what you're gonna pull is great. :allears:

Skink is the best red common in the set for limited. That card does SO much work.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

Skink is the best red common in the set for limited. That card does SO much work.

By far. The last prerelease pack I reported on last page where I had to go W/R with a U box, he was definitely my all star. I got two of them and had absolutely no aversion to wasting combat tricks turns 3 and 4 just to make sure he didn't trade. Scry'd so many useless lands to the bottom with that little guy.

Scry Skink all day long. :allears:

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Hi guys,

Gonna make this a long story short. Friend and I play Magic after Game of Thrones on Sundays. He's got this nasty monoblack Vampire deck with all types of removal and four Coat of Arms. This deck stomps pretty much every deck I've thrown at it. I did notice that he had no enchantment removal though so I said okay, here's Light of Day. He got a little peeved that I would put a card in there that, in his words, "if you draw it I lose and there's nothing I can do about it."

Now I absolutely did throw that card in there just to beat this deck, but my question is, are cards like LoD just frowned upon in general? Or does he have a "legitimate"(this is MTG and a very casual game hence the airquotes) gripe? To me, all it is is I idenfitied the only way a deck of mine could beat his and used it.

The next game I took the LoDs out and he had some mythic rare fuckoff vampire out in turn four that has him play with the top card of his library revealed, if it's black, vampires gain gently caress everything. I had a couple Kithkins :(

Sorry. Not as short as I intended it to be!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

If he can't deal with a little disruption, that's his problem. It shouldn't be insurmountable.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Santheb posted:

Hi guys,

Gonna make this a long story short. Friend and I play Magic after Game of Thrones on Sundays. He's got this nasty monoblack Vampire deck with all types of removal and four Coat of Arms. This deck stomps pretty much every deck I've thrown at it. I did notice that he had no enchantment removal though so I said okay, here's Light of Day. He got a little peeved that I would put a card in there that, in his words, "if you draw it I lose and there's nothing I can do about it."

Now I absolutely did throw that card in there just to beat this deck, but my question is, are cards like LoD just frowned upon in general? Or does he have a "legitimate"(this is MTG and a very casual game hence the airquotes) gripe? To me, all it is is I idenfitied the only way a deck of mine could beat his and used it.

The next game I took the LoDs out and he had some mythic rare fuckoff vampire out in turn four that has him play with the top card of his library revealed, if it's black, vampires gain gently caress everything. I had a couple Kithkins :(

So he is angry that you may win?

Doesn't sound like you guys are playing Standard. Is this just a casual "whatever card we have" kind of thing? If it is casual then who cares what you do...if he was outright stomping you so you adjusted your deck and now you stomp him, then I think you guys need to either come to an agreement not to be jerks as it is casual or move to playing using Standard rules...

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Santheb posted:

Hi guys,

You're kitchen table, obviously, so play whatever you want to play. If he won't stop bitching about light of day, then there are plenty of other bad cards that hose his deck to throw in. Circle of Protection Black, Celestial Purge, Conversion, Snake Pit, etc. Hell, a loving Wrath of God seems pretty good against his deck too.

If his strategy is so myopic that it gets blown out by one bad card then he deserves to lose.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Santheb posted:

Are cards like LoD just frowned upon in general? Or does he have a "legitimate"(this is MTG and a very casual game hence the airquotes) gripe? To me, all it is is I idenfitied the only way a deck of mine could beat his and used it.

Each color has strengths and weaknesses. Black has almost zero ways to deal with enchantments. If you're getting stomped by a black deck and bring in enchantments, you're not in the wrong. It's up to him to change his deck to deal with it, then you change yours, then he changes his, and before you know it, you're several hundred dollars poorer.

Play how you want, there's no right or wrong way to play at your kitchen table.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Santheb posted:

Hi guys,

Kitchen table magic is governed by the rules of whomever you are playing with.

Frankly, if he's playing a big slow Vampire deck, you could easily wreck him with some 2-for-1s and early hard-to-target beaters and it would be a less narrow solution than a silver bullet like Light of Day.

But, a lot of players here play from a tournament perspective, where pretty much anything goes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I haven't had a chance to do more than prerelease, but is it really? It feels like in draft, Satyr Hoplite can be insane, and Magma Spray is good too in general.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Tell him to play with Dystopia which is also a 15+ year old card that would never get printed nowadays. :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Santheb posted:

Hi guys,

He could play thoughtseize/duress/etc to deal with light of day or make his deck to be capable of winning without attacking (Kalastria Highborn, Malakir Bloodwitch, Mutavault, etc). There's nothing explicitly wrong with hate cards and while black doesn't really get cards to kill enchantments, he could be running a variety of discard spells to deal with your hate card.

Realistically hate cards exist to make those matchups winnable at the expense of other matchups. Also maybe he should look up what Ratchet Bomb is :v: (obviously not a perfect solution but it more or less works).

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

OssiansFolly posted:

So he is angry that you may win?

Doesn't sound like you guys are playing Standard. Is this just a casual "whatever card we have" kind of thing? If it is casual then who cares what you do...if he was outright stomping you so you adjusted your deck and now you stomp him, then I think you guys need to either come to an agreement not to be jerks as it is casual or move to playing using Standard rules...

Yeah it's whatever card you have. I was really just wondering if cards like that are frowned upon in general or if he was just prissy that his dumb vampires couldn't attack or block. He wasn't like, angry, it was more of a crying type thing. Which is why I was asking about cards like that in general. I didn't see a problem with it because it's a single enchantment, loving destroy it. But otoh, I've definitely heard people that just hate the whole protection concept in general.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I should add, if you are liking white weenie, and you want a fun and effective kitchen table deck you can put together for under $20, I can provide you with a Rebels list. It'll wreck that Vampire dude hardcore, and won't need silver bullets like Light of Day.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I never heard of the card Light of Day until that post and now I just bought some to throw into decks. Thanks MTG thread!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Santheb posted:

Yeah it's whatever card you have. I was really just wondering if cards like that are frowned upon in general or if he was just prissy that his dumb vampires couldn't attack or block. He wasn't like, angry, it was more of a crying type thing. Which is why I was asking about cards like that in general. I didn't see a problem with it because it's a single enchantment, loving destroy it. But otoh, I've definitely heard people that just hate the whole protection concept in general.

Black as a color actually doesn't get enchantment destruction, so it's hard to deal with, but as a color it's also one of the better colors for winning in ways that aren't attacking or blocking, which makes Light of Day pretty crappy as a hate card.

What you should be looking at for really ridiculous hate cards is stuff like Boil and Choke. By comparison to those light of day is like, a joke or something.

Anyway it's dumb that he's mad at you for playing crappy cards that hose him while he plays crap cards.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I never heard of the card Light of Day until that post and now I just bought some to throw into decks. Thanks MTG thread!

Finally, the card getting its light of day~.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

^^oh for sure. It's just that with this particular deck, his only way to victory was attacking, so Light of Day just shut him down entirely.

Toshimo posted:

I should add, if you are liking white weenie, and you want a fun and effective kitchen table deck you can put together for under $20, I can provide you with a Rebels list. It'll wreck that Vampire dude hardcore, and won't need silver bullets like Light of Day.

Sweet man. I've got PMs!

Thanks MTG thread. You guys are pretty cool.

Also I love white weenies. Simple but sometimes super effective.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 28, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Santheb posted:

Hi guys,

Ha! Vampire Nocturnus can be pretty scary if you're not suitably well-armed.

If he doesn't want to adjust his deck to deal with enchantments, and neither one of you want to change to a different deck, you could run some less-powerful color-hate. Even something as simple as White Knight or Celestial Purge can be a significant hurdle for his deck, but not totally unanswerable.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Combo it with some way of making all creatures black, like we did back in the day.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

Been playtesting with athreos a lot and I am beginning to think that it is not exactly a great card. It may be alright and worth throwing a couple into orzhov midrange lists, but the hate for gods is real and the punisher mechanic takes a lot of effort to build around and when it's removed all there is a bad b/w humans shell. What has everyone else's reaction to him in playtesting? He definitely shouldn't be the money card in this set, ajani should be filling that role, he is waaaaay better than athreos.

Athreos is a 5/4 for 3 with some potentially relevant text that slots into a deck that already exists, and the interaction it has with Ghost Dad is really relevant if you're in a meta full of sorcery speed removal.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Combo it with some way of making all creatures black, like we did back in the day.

Naw, run it in a Weissman-style The Deck shell along with Sleight of Mind for maximum jank!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It combos well with sleeper agent.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

Naw, run it in a Weissman-style The Deck shell along with Sleight of Mind for maximum jank!

No lie, my first every magic deck was a 100+ card monstrosity of Sleight of Mind effects with Light of Day and CoPs. A guy at my school tried to play me with a netdecked prosbloom deck and just could not win ever because he had no outs to CoP:Black and >60 card deck size.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Elyv posted:

I haven't had a chance to do more than prerelease, but is it really? It feels like in draft, Satyr Hoplite can be insane, and Magma Spray is good too in general.

I find that anything which lets you scry is a good thing in limited. Hell, I was running a Temple of Enlightenment in my UR deck since it gave me blue mana and a scry. Didn't even use the white mana. Scry all day every day.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

I find that anything which lets you scry is a good thing in limited. Hell, I was running a Temple of Enlightenment in my UR deck since it gave me blue mana and a scry. Didn't even use the white mana. Scry all day every day.

Oh, absolutely, I'm not arguing that Skink is bad; I think it's probably quite good. I'm just skeptical of it being better than Hoplite or Spray.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Santheb posted:

^^oh for sure. It's just that with this particular deck, his only way to victory was attacking, so Light of Day just shut him down entirely.

Sweet man. I've got PMs!

Thanks MTG thread. You guys are pretty cool.

Also I love white weenies. Simple but sometimes super effective.

PMs are for suckers. We gonna talk about Wizard Poker in the Wizard Poker thread for a change.

Everyone Loves Rebels:

4x Ramosian Sergeant
4x Defiant Falcon
1x Whipcorder
1x Lightbringer
2x Ramosian Captain
1x Defiant Vanguard
2x Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
1x Outrider en-Kor
1x Task Force
1x Ramosian Revivalist
1x Ballista Squad
1x Mirror Entity
1x Changeling Hero

2x Brave the Elements
4x Swords to Plowshares/Path to Exile
4x Honor the Pure/Shared Triumph
3x Bound in Silence
1x Crib Swap
1x Worthy Cause

24x Plains

Deckstats.net says it's like $25 without the Swords/Paths which it is way, way overpricing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

Oh, absolutely, I'm not arguing that Skink is bad; I think it's probably quite good. I'm just skeptical of it being better than Hoplite or Spray.

Its definitely better than Hoplite because by its very nature Hoplite needs other stuff to be good. Spray is arguable, but I don't think anyone considered Shock the best red common in M14.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That vampire poo poo is why kitchen table metas are IMO just as volatile as EDH. It's another game of managing expectations. Like a friend of mine was looking at building affinity just for the kitchen table and I had to explain to him people beat that by using hate cards in quantities associated with a sideboard and ask whether he wants his kitchen table to get that serious.

Drafting seriously is the best form of casual play, I think. You don't have to deal with all that mess.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Drafting seriously is the best form of casual play, I think. You don't have to deal with all that mess.
There's no D,R,A,F or T in Cube :getin:

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Its definitely better than Hoplite because by its very nature Hoplite needs other stuff to be good. Spray is arguable, but I don't think anyone considered Shock the best red common in M14.
M14 and Theros are very, very different formats. Spray can take out most heroic creatures before they can get big for one mana, which is huge. I'd be surprised if Hoplite doesn't end up being better than Skink as well - it's the kind of card every R/x aggro deck wants. It needs help to get going but the same is true for every hero to some extent. Skink on the other hand will get in one scry before trading with their worst creature in most games.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tharizdun posted:

There's no D,R,A,F or T in Cube :getin:

Do you like randomly distribute cube cards

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Do you like randomly distribute cube cards

I believe you Distribute Randomly And Fight Thrice.
(Alternatively Distribute Randomly, Acquire, Flip Twice).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 28, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

I believe you Distribute Randomly And Fight Thrice.

:golfclap:

But seriously, it's not hard to make a standard cube just out of a box, draft the cards once then shuffle them all up into three piles (commons, uncommons and rare/mythics) and turn them into 15-card "packs" again.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Just once I would have liked to take part in an Unglued-Unhinged draft.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Just once I would have liked to take part in an Unglued-Unhinged draft.

Unhinged is literally the least fun set in the history of Magic, don't do it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Tap 3 islands, Cheatyface? Opponent nods.

Okay, so that enters play, now I play Toy Boat :smugbert:.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

"Hey, what's your life total?"
"15"
"GOTCHA"
"why did I say anything in a format that includes unhinged"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

I think Skink and Hoplite are 1 and 1a depending on your deck. Magma Spray is shock. It's good, but i'd pick the others before it most times.

• Locked thread