Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

It's less "job creation" and more "job leeching." Or, if you wants to be polite about it, "employment osmosis."

The clinical term is smokestack chasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008
Didn't see this posted here, thought it might be of interest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/us/politics/smart-firearm-draws-wrath-of-the-gun-lobby.html?hp&_r=0

quote:

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Belinda Padilla does not pick up unknown calls anymore, not since someone posted her cellphone number on an online forum for gun enthusiasts. A few fuming-mad voice mail messages and heavy breathers were all it took.

Then someone snapped pictures of the address where she has a P.O. box and put those online, too. In a crude, cartoonish scrawl, this person drew an arrow to the blurred image of a woman passing through the photo frame. “Belinda?” the person wrote. “Is that you?”

Her offense? Trying to market and sell a new .22-caliber handgun that uses a radio frequency-enabled stopwatch to identify the authorized user so no one else can fire it. Ms. Padilla and the manufacturer she works for, Armatix, intended to make the weapon the first “smart gun” for sale in the United States.

But shortly after Armatix went public with its plans to start selling in Southern California, Ms. Padilla, a fast-talking, hard-charging Beverly Hills businesswoman who leads the company’s fledgling American division, encountered the same uproar that has stopped gun control advocates, Congress, President Obama and lawmakers across the country as they seek to pass tougher laws and promote new technologies they contend will lead to fewer firearms deaths.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ofaloaf posted:

The prospect of being 34 in 2024 and having spent 26 of those years in either a Bush or Clinton presidency just makes me feel real uncomfortable whenever I think about it. I know surnames are not the end-all-be-all of what makes a politician, but it just really doesn't seem like a healthy thing for a republican form of government.
I'll be a lot more uncomfortable if Chelsea starts running, myself. Otherwise you have, on the one hand, some high-achieving people from Arkansas, and on the other hand, the inheritors of a fortune in which a son has taken the reigns from the father, and now another son seeks them out. They feel like different things to me, the Bush clan being more blatant than a married couple happening to try for the same office sixteen years apart.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 28, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Aren't there still a few senate or house seats where there's the grandson of a former holder in office, with some of them also having the father been in the same office?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chelsea's baby will be eligible to run for President in 2052, in case anyone is curious.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

JT Jag posted:

It's less "job creation" and more "job leeching." Or, if you wants to be polite about it, "employment osmosis."

Shale gas extraction has created a large number of trucking/drilling/crude related jobs. It's not all just leeching headquarters from other states.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's more just a function of incumbency being powerful and the presidency having long terms.

Unless you die in office or are horrendously unpopular you're probably getting a second term, and really after this run the number of people who have the same name as a former president and are politically likely to win are slim.

Install Windows posted:

Aren't there still a few senate or house seats where there's the grandson of a former holder in office, with some of them also having the father been in the same office?

Yeah there was a recent special election in like Louisiana or Florida where the guy was replacing his father who was retiring and whose grandfather also held the same position.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

JT Jag posted:

We humanoids have been calling it competition for a few eons now. So far today, Cali is -5300, Texas is +5300.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Colorado's jobs have been much better than average. Plus you don't need to live in a poo poo hole of a state.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Install Windows posted:

There are currently 11 dynastic Senators: the Udalls (D-CO and D-NM), Begich (D-AK), Manchin (D-WV), Rockefeller (D-WV), Casey (R-PA), Pryor (D-AR), Paul (R-KY), Boozman (R-AR), Landrieu (D-LA), and Murkowski (R-AK), where "dynastic" is defined by relatives being elected to Congress, cabinet position, or high office in the state. It's interesting that this includes both Senators in AK, AR, and WV, though Rockefeller will be retiring after this year. Also interesting how many are Democrats who face tough re-elections. There were also no new dynastic Senators elected in 2012.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Chelsea's baby will be eligible to run for President in 2052, in case anyone is curious.

Theoretically I could retire that year.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

We humanoids have been calling it competition for a few eons now. So far today, Cali is -5300, Texas is +5300.
OH GOD when you put it like that I feel the chemicals in my body changing composition and I have just had my penis retract directly inside of my body cavity, the spontaneous apparition of Ronald Reagan appearing and pursuing me into my dank, patchouli-scented liberal cavern! Even there, I will be haunted by the horrible knowledge that a state I MOSTLY AGREED WITH had a business... MOVE... into another STATE... oh God, my life is a lie! Maybe it's not too late to convert... perhaps the Party will forgive...

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Dystram posted:

2012 was ONLY about riling up the base, testing talking points and messaging for next time, etc.

They GOP establishment knew they stood absolutely no chance against Obama. 2016 will be their real try for the presidency because they actually stand a chance this time.

That's hugely wrong. The economy was poo poo. They had won the Obamacare messaging war. They truly believed the minority voter demographic boost in 2008 was a one off fluke. They had millionaires lining up to fund superpacs while the Democrats took the high road. This was their election to lose in their minds.

Joementum posted:

Clearly the Clintons know the election of 2052 will have critical importance to the lizard people.

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And I am reminded that Michelle Nunn will be the Democrats' Senate candidate in Georgia, another dynastic choice, though I did not know that Jason Carter was running for Governor there. George P. Bush is also on the ballot this year in Texas (Land Commissioner), the wife of John Dingell running for his family's seat (he took it over from this father) in Dearborn, MI, and Ted Kennedy Jr. in Connecticut (State Senate).

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

On the other hand you have more and more left orientated gun organizations such as http://www.pinkpistols.org/ and http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/.

Honestly reading this thread, there is a worrying us-vs-them attitude when it comes to politics. People can support the 2nd amendment while still being leftist. Likewise you can be a republican and disapprove of gun rights.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 28, 2014

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Man Whore posted:

On the other hand you have more and more left orientated gun organizations such as http://www.pinkpistols.org/ and http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/.

Which is totally fine. There's nothing wrong with gun ownership.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

The prospect of being 34 in 2024 and having spent 26 of those years in either a Bush or Clinton presidency just makes me feel real uncomfortable whenever I think about it. I know surnames are not the end-all-be-all of what makes a politician, but it just really doesn't seem like a healthy thing for a republican form of government.

Hey the Julian line isn't an oligarchy man. They're just the best our republic has to offer. The gods favor their service and valor.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

Whatever the term, "job creation" in a semantic sense carries an implication of a growing economy, with businesses expanding or coming into being. Moving 5000 jobs from one place to another doesn't "create" jobs, it just shifts them around.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SavageBastard posted:

That's hugely wrong. The economy was poo poo. They had won the Obamacare messaging war. They truly believed the minority voter demographic boost in 2008 was a one off fluke. They had millionaires lining up to fund superpacs while the Democrats took the high road. This was their election to lose in their minds.

Until the fantastic spectacle of the GOP primary, there was a lot of speculation that you'd get a pretty hard R swing with the election. While yes they did pick up some seats, it actually went a lot worse for them than was anticipated. This was helped of course by the right fringe going a bit extra-wacky, but it was very close.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Yeah Drudge, yeah.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

ShutteredIn posted:

Yeah Drudge, yeah.

:clint:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So....bring them down?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

HootTheOwl posted:

So....bring them down?

Pretty sure he's being facetious and racist.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Why is it that Land Comish is such a big deal in Texas?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dystram posted:

Pretty sure he's being facetious and racist.

Curses. Almost got him!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ufarn posted:

The Texas constitution is weird, basically.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Install Windows posted:

Tons of things go against "federalism" that doesn't make them unconstitutional.

I don't understand how you're reading that text to determine it goes against a uniform national tax? The text says that income taxes need not be apportioned to the states on population basis.

This argument is kind of irrelevant, as that was just an unrealistic proposal I dismissed outright anyway, but the Supreme Court stated way back in Gibbons v. Ogden (1824) that "Congress is not empowered to tax for those purposes which are within the exclusive province of the states." In cases determining whether certain state taxes are constitutional, the Supreme Court has cited this over and over again without showing any intention to overrule it. However, in digging for this quote I did find an interesting policy method that could be used to end such state-tax breaks, which is a prohibition on such taxes to the extent that they interfere with interstate commerce. I'm not sure this would be upheld by the current court, everything is up in the air with these guys and economic legislation, but it could be a workable solution. Interesting Harvard Law Review article on the subject:

Saving the States from Themselves: Commerce Clause Constraints on State Tax Incentives for Business
http://www.jstor.org/stable/1342149

Can't find a version of this not behind a paywall, so here is another article that is not behind one summing up and attacking the jurisprudence behind the idea:

Location Incentives and the Negative Commerce Clause
http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1110&context=mulr

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

It was added as part of the Taft-Hartley Act, after the NLRA was upheld by SCOTUS.

Good to know that was passed over Truman's veto because of lovely Red Scare stuff. :911:

Guess that means Congress could ban right-to-work if it wanted to (:lol:)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

This argument is kind of irrelevant, as that was just an unrealistic proposal I dismissed outright anyway, but the Supreme Court stated way back in Gibbons v. Ogden (1824) that "Congress is not empowered to tax for those purposes which are within the exclusive province of the states." In cases determining whether certain state taxes are constitutional, the Supreme Court has cited this over and over again without showing any intention to overrule it. However, in digging for this quote I did find an interesting policy method that could be used to end such state-tax breaks, which is a prohibition on such taxes to the extent that they interfere with interstate commerce. I'm not sure this would be upheld by the current court, everything is up in the air with these guys and economic legislation, but it could be a workable solution. Interesting Harvard Law Review article on the subject:

Saving the States from Themselves: Commerce Clause Constraints on State Tax Incentives for Business
http://www.jstor.org/stable/1342149

Can't find a version of this not behind a paywall, so here is another article that is not behind one summing up and attacking the jurisprudence behind the idea:

Location Incentives and the Negative Commerce Clause
http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1110&context=mulr

And you noticed that the amendment text you cited comes from several decades after that court ruling, right?

No one has ever tried to across the board eliminate all state taxes on things, and thus all ability to have state tax breaks, so there's no case law on the subject. This is what you'd need to do for that, by the way, and it would require first having federal tax increases or new federal taxes on all sorts of things in order to raise the necessary money for the states.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Install Windows posted:

And you noticed that the amendment text you cited comes from several decades after that court ruling, right?

No one has ever tried to across the board eliminate all state taxes on things, and thus all ability to have state tax breaks, so there's no case law on the subject. This is what you'd need to do for that, by the way, and it would require first having federal tax increases or new federal taxes on all sorts of things in order to raise the necessary money for the states.

Which is why I referred to later cases citing this opinion. Dude, something doesn't have to be ruled unconstitutional specifically to be unconstitutional, if Congress passed "The Third Term for Obama Act" it would still be unconstitutional before a case or controversy arose. But like I said, that wasn't even a serious hypothetical policy proposal, it's the same as if I said "well how do we fix national politics, besides disenfranchising the Tea Party because that wouldn't be legal"

Edit: which is not an invitation to a discussion about whether disenfranchising the Tea Party is legal or not.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 28, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Phone posted:

Speaking of weirdos, that Xlyo kid is such a power tripping dick, going around like he's the judge, jury, and executioner.

Oh hey, what's up?

In "on topic" news: Fried Chicken said he was going to use my thing from earlier in the month for next month's thread: Everything is hosed, Emphasis on Everything.

For the June thread: US Politics June: This Thread Will Derail. Luckily, skimming for content is a Valuable Life Skill

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ufarn posted:

Son lemmie tell you a little story about Texas.

See, down here we don't want our governor having a ton of power, in fact we for some reason basically want them to have no power. Now in the practical sense I'm kinda ok with Governor For Life Rick Perry not having a lot of power, but in the grand scheme of politics it troubles me a bit. So we threw all the power that, say, should be centralized into one person to have authority over, so things run smoothly, and broke it into a bunch of pieces and scattered them through Austin like we were hiding the ancient shards of the doomblade or some fantasy bullshit. So basically in Texas these elections matter almost more than the governor race, because our assorted branches have a great deal of power compared to others, and while technically they answer to the governor they pretty much don't.

Now, for land comish, think about how much land Texas has. Now think about how much people here hate the EPA. Now think about how much power oil and gas have.

So yea, that position matters a lot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Texas Governors basically have no power because of Reconstruction.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

effectual posted:

Careful, Nixon lost his first bid but then...

If President Romney resigns under similar circumstances I might be ok with this.

The NRA's low spending is also due to ow effective they are with little to no expenditure. It doesn't cost the NRA very much to have someone call up Republican congressmen and tell them "if you vote for/against X we're going to bury you" at which point the congressman does as the NRA has ordered. If there was a massive nationwide push to reign in gun law insanity they'd be out in force, spending millions and fear-mongering more millions out of their members.

Install Windows posted:

It would not be unconstitutional to raise taxes nationally and eliminate state taxes, where did you get that idea? It would simply be extraordinarily unpopular and in about noone's political interest.

The federal government couldn't just up and decide to get rid of a state's taxes. There's no way in hell the court would uphold that and it'd put state budgets entirely at the mercy of the feds. It'd get shot down by 7-9 of the justices, though likely for different reasons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The federal government couldn't just up and decide to get rid of a state's taxes. There's no way in hell the court would uphold that and it'd put state budgets entirely at the mercy of the feds. It'd get shot down by 7-9 of the justices, though likely for different reasons.

John Roberts has made his decision, now let him enforce it! :clint:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's not what I'm talking about. You would first do it by creating and raising federal taxes on all relevant categories, and start delegating money from that out to states to fund various programs. Then, most states would quickly vote to eliminate x state level tax on that stuff because resulting combinations of federal and state level taxes would be very unpopular - and I don't expect any state level politicians would be able to hold the line on their state keeping doubled every tax on every category of taxes.

The first step has to be done because otherwise there's no revenue stream to support any of the states - existing taxes definitely cannot handle it. The second step is the logical outcome of having enough support to achieve the first one, support that I don't think there could ever end up being.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Evil Fluffy posted:

If President Romney resigns under similar circumstances I might be ok with this.

The NRA's low spending is also due to ow effective they are with little to no expenditure. It doesn't cost the NRA very much to have someone call up Republican congressmen and tell them "if you vote for/against X we're going to bury you" at which point the congressman does as the NRA has ordered. If there was a massive nationwide push to reign in gun law insanity they'd be out in force, spending millions and fear-mongering more millions out of their members.

Re: NRA spending - I was quoting another person saying dumb things in another forum.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

There are currently 11 dynastic Senators: the Udalls (D-CO and D-NM), Begich (D-AK), Manchin (D-WV), Rockefeller (D-WV), Casey (R-PA), Pryor (D-AR), Paul (R-KY), Boozman (R-AR), Landrieu (D-LA), and Murkowski (R-AK), where "dynastic" is defined by relatives being elected to Congress, cabinet position, or high office in the state. It's interesting that this includes both Senators in AK, AR, and WV, though Rockefeller will be retiring after this year. Also interesting how many are Democrats who face tough re-elections. There were also no new dynastic Senators elected in 2012.

Technically the Levins in Michigan also, though Carl is gone soon.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Install Windows posted:

That's not what I'm talking about. You would first do it by creating and raising federal taxes on all relevant categories, and start delegating money from that out to states to fund various programs. Then, most states would quickly vote to eliminate x state level tax on that stuff because resulting combinations of federal and state level taxes would be very unpopular - and I don't expect any state level politicians would be able to hold the line on their state keeping doubled every tax on every category of taxes.

The first step has to be done because otherwise there's no revenue stream to support any of the states - existing taxes definitely cannot handle it. The second step is the logical outcome of having enough support to achieve the first one, support that I don't think there could ever end up being.

Pretty sure the court would just find that unconstitutionally coercive, a violation of the necessary and proper clause, the Tenth Amendment, etc... Even if there was no jurisprudence at all on which to rely, the court would find some way to strike down something that completely eliminates federal separation of powers in such a way. I'm not even going FedSoc on you, it was supposed to be a ridiculous solution. I'm sorry I included that throwaway line, I did not in any way intend for it to be discussed with respect to fixing the race to the bottom problems, I was more curious about a workable solution that had a 50/50 chance at least of surviving judicial review.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jagchosis posted:

So anywaaaaay, looks like Texas has successfully stolen jobs from other, more prosperous states:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/04/28/toyota_moves_its_headquarters_from_california_to_texas.html

I wish there was some form of national legislation to mitigate this race to the bottom bullshit, but I'm not sure what would be considered constitutional by the current, federalist (when it furthers right wing ideology) Supreme Court.
Take a look at everything between Atlanta and San Diego and then check out which state has either the first or second most Fortune 500 HQs (and de facto in cases where it's not official), which city has the second most behind NYC, where the busiest international port in the country is, the world's largest medical center, the country's largest university (and a close runner up for second), etc. Texas has spent the last 100 years stocking up oil money and using it to lure in every single business and person it can and it's worked specifically well because of how poorly governed the other states are, frankly. Texas is poorly governed lately in terms of the social initiatives, no doubt, and it's not a great place to be poor. It also turns out that Rick Perry's a corrupt chowderhead who has been funneling money around and trying to hide debt, but look at this list: Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona (etc). Atlanta itself has done quite well, but Georgia's basically a joke outside of that in business terms. If you know anyone from any of the states between GA and TX who is at all educated, you'll find that about 90% of them haul rear end for somewhere else and about 75% of those go to Houston, Austin, Dallas or Atlanta. Florida picks up a bit too.

Katrina is my favorite example because it's proximate and people can relate to it. After Katrina, Houston quietly stole pretty much the rest of the remaining businesses that were running out of Louisiana as well as a huge number of people. There was hemming and hawing publicly, but in business terms it's a huge win. You just got a bunch of new businesses and new workers and further weakened a competing port city. Who got the contracts to rebuild New Orleans? Texas companies.

This latest push by Perry is only notable because he's taken it mainstream instead of doing it quietly, but my opinion after living in the developing world for nearly a decade now and reflecting back - and I'm like a 6th generation Texan here - is that Texas operates in the reality of America being the world's largest, most powerful developing country in much the way Singapore does. It's like a high functioning developing country, basically, surrounded by all these low functioning developing countries and it hoovers up everything it can, which is a lot.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What about Austin? Roosterteeth seems fine there.
And on that note, half of Austin is basically a weird mix of Palo Alto and Orange County. Austin is Texas's foray into stealing California. I lived there before, during and after the tech boom and it's unrecognizable anymore, frankly. It was a sleepy town of a few hundred thousand in 1993 and the metro area is closer to a million and a half now. A shitload of that is Californians with their limestone and timber and their wine :argh:

Fried Chicken posted:

Apparently it is the latter. I've got some stuff on it flagged for future reading though, so my skimming could be corrected by getting down to it.
The legal environment is a big deal too, especially since the reform of how class action suits are handled. I mean that not just in terms of contract law, property protection, labor, litigation and so on, but also in terms of adjudication. It's true that counties like Brazoria are historically sought after venues for class action cases and you don't want to go to trial there, but, hey, congrats, you're now under the jurisdiction of the fifth circuit court of appeals! Woohoo! So long ninth circuit suckahs!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

Pretty sure the court would just find that unconstitutionally coercive, a violation of the necessary and proper clause, the Tenth Amendment, etc... Even if there was no jurisprudence at all on which to rely, the court would find some way to strike down something that completely eliminates federal separation of powers in such a way. I'm not even going FedSoc on you, it was supposed to be a ridiculous solution. I'm sorry I included that throwaway line, I did not in any way intend for it to be discussed with respect to fixing the race to the bottom problems, I was more curious about a workable solution that had a 50/50 chance at least of surviving judicial review.

How would the court find it coercive to raise money and give it to the states? You'll really have to show your work there.

Again, you'd need a massive level of popular support to implement this in the first place, which would mean a lack of people with standing to challenge it in court, and the court can't just make decisions without valid cases.

• Locked thread