Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It looks like Cooks Illustrated's review was for the Vitamix 5200. I guess that's the 500 series one Target advertises. Something seems fishy about Target's offerings though--that 200 series has what looks like a super small cup, like it could barely make a milkshake. I'd be a little leary that they aren't some one-off model Vitamix is building down to a lower price point. If I were going to drop coin on a Vitamix I would do it at Costco so it could be returned with no questions and to get a few more accessories: http://www.costco.com/.product.1160...geHorizontalTop|CategoryTopProducts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm almost certain Costco has $370 Vitamixes too, no?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

I'm almost certain Costco has $370 Vitamixes too, no?

Yeah pretty much always 379.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I know people have posted a few times, but I would definitely get a refurbished Vitamix. I got mine for $280 about 1.5 years ago from some Woot deal, but I think you can get them fairly regularly in the low 300s. If you don't want to spend that much, I would highly recommend the Ninja NJ600. Easily the best non-Vitamix blender I've ever used and, with the 20% BB&B coupon, only $80. My wife made breakfast smoothies every day for 2 years before this thing got shelved for the Vitamix. Never needing to stir/etc... to clear air bubbles (because of the 3 blade system) is fantastic.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a $150 Ninja blender from target and it makes incredible smoothies. I would only get a Vitamix if I were a giant smoothie gooball, but for $150 I'm really happy.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

FishBulb posted:

Yeah pretty much always 379.

When they have them. The ones here have Blendtecs year-round, and the Vitamixes only show up every couple of months or so on a special event.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ok well tell me which Vitamix I should get then. I noticed Target is selling them now, do any of these fit the bill?

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=...rchTerm=vitamix

My ex had one with the variable speed control which is really nice. Too much speed makes a big air bubble and nothing mixes.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Reconditioned straight from Vitamix for $330. Still comes with a 5-year warranty. I know some people are apprehensive about buying refurbished stuff, but do it whenever I can. I've bought everything from blenders to laptops and pretty much everything I've gotten has been in perfect/like-new condition. I'm sure this blender will be basically new as it is coming straight from the manufacturer.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Gyshall posted:

I have a $150 Ninja blender from target and it makes incredible smoothies. I would only get a Vitamix if I were a giant smoothie gooball, but for $150 I'm really happy.

We have one of those and it definitely does really well if you're doing ice/frozen things. I'm satisfied. Most of the time I'm making a smoothie I'm not throwing anything frozen into it other than maybe some frozen berries, so I just use our magic bullet-type blender and make myself a single serving.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mr Executive posted:

Reconditioned straight from Vitamix for $330. Still comes with a 5-year warranty. I know some people are apprehensive about buying refurbished stuff, but do it whenever I can. I've bought everything from blenders to laptops and pretty much everything I've gotten has been in perfect/like-new condition. I'm sure this blender will be basically new as it is coming straight from the manufacturer.

Refurb/Reconditioned is often a great deal, mostly because most companies tend to do more thorough tests on refurb units than "off the line" units.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, ordered the Costco bundle. Thanks for the help guys.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

dino. posted:

If you don't need the stainless steel for the induction cooktop, the aluminium is fine:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/10-vollrath-arkadia-n7010-non-stick-aluminum-fry-pan/407SEW1025.html

I had one for a year and change, and it was great.

This came in the mail this week and so far it rules. Besides the handle getting too hot to touch without a towel, I'd recommend this nonstick to pretty much anyone. Thanks dino!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ended up getting the costco foodsaver, I've been able to use it blacked out so the potential problems feeding isn't an issue :downs:

I now am looking to pick up a wok and I'm stuck between a Le Creuset with the lid or a maybe a lodge wok. Not sure how the abilities to use acids without fear will outweigh potentially burning off the enamel and being unable to use metal utensils. Or is there a better option 3?

/e- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQSWMU/?tag=serieats-20 was the recommended from serious eats.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 28, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That's a perfectly fine wok. I have it and so does my mom.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I used a mandolin for the first time last night to slice up some potatoes quickly. Even using the drat annoying guard I still found a way to nic my thumb. :saddowns:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

I used a mandolin for the first time last night to slice up some potatoes quickly. Even using the drat annoying guard I still found a way to nic my thumb. :saddowns:

that's our Doh004

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Ended up getting the costco foodsaver, I've been able to use it blacked out so the potential problems feeding isn't an issue :downs:

I now am looking to pick up a wok and I'm stuck between a Le Creuset with the lid or a maybe a lodge wok. Not sure how the abilities to use acids without fear will outweigh potentially burning off the enamel and being unable to use metal utensils. Or is there a better option 3?

/e- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQSWMU/?tag=serieats-20 was the recommended from serious eats.

What kind of burners are you cooking on? If they're standard western gas burners you'll probably want a flat bottomed carbon steel wok. If you get a round bottomed wok you'll need to get some kind of wok ring to hold it up. If you're on electric burners you absolutely have to use a flat bottom and you may want to go cast iron just so your heat won't die down so dramatically every time you put something in. The quick responsiveness won't be there with cast iron but you can learn to adjust to it. Or get an outdoor propane burner so you can stir-fry like a boss.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thoht posted:

What kind of burners are you cooking on? If they're standard western gas burners you'll probably want a flat bottomed carbon steel wok. If you get a round bottomed wok you'll need to get some kind of wok ring to hold it up. If you're on electric burners you absolutely have to use a flat bottom and you may want to go cast iron just so your heat won't die down so dramatically every time you put something in. The quick responsiveness won't be there with cast iron but you can learn to adjust to it. Or get an outdoor propane burner so you can stir-fry like a boss.
Apartment (lovely) electric range. What type/thickness of cast iron should I be looking at if I go that route?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Doh004 posted:

I still can't believe that it's become GWS orthodoxy to recommend using the guard.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 28, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Doh004 posted:

KEVLAR. GLOVES.

Or these

Or in your case I recommend going full chain mail.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I have never used a guard, and have never cut myself on the mandoline. Keep it sharp and pay attention and you'll be fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's dangerously bad advice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Back to oven-chat, I used to have one with a small griddle in place of a middle burner. It was amazing for browning buns, making a quick grilled cheese, reheating pizza, and a ton of other stuff. I wouldn't use to to make like a ton of tortillas or whatever but for cooking for two I used it all the time.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I was playing it safe too, but the drat potato got stuck somehow. Those gloves are pretty sweet though. w/e, it made a good potatoes au gratin.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
In case anyone was wondering, the Ninja brand blenders will not tolerate palm sugar chunks :argh:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vitamix arrived today. Gonna make all the smoothies.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

I was playing it safe too, but the drat potato got stuck somehow. Those gloves are pretty sweet though. w/e, it made a good potatoes au gratin.

the potato only gets stuck if you're scared of using a mandoline. it's like tossing food in a wok/saute pan. be confident, be decisive, work with strong motions, and it will turn out perfectly. hesitate even a second, and there's poo poo all over the floor and you've lopped your dumb thumbflap off.

also use a teatowel to grip your food. it's cheap no nonsense insurance if you're really not comfortable just paying attention.

whoever said its gws canon to recommend using the food guard, it's not. don't even joke about that. you're part of the problem.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

the potato only gets stuck if you're scared of using a mandoline. it's like tossing food in a wok/saute pan. be confident, be decisive, work with strong motions, and it will turn out perfectly. hesitate even a second, and there's poo poo all over the floor and you've lopped your dumb thumbflap off.

also use a teatowel to grip your food. it's cheap no nonsense insurance if you're really not comfortable just paying attention.

whoever said its gws canon to recommend using the food guard, it's not. don't even joke about that. you're part of the problem.
I had some memory of people recommending the food guard (and being horrified). Looking through the past thirty pages it looks like I was wrong. You are correct that the guard is real bad and is probably only included with these things to avoid lawsuits.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What kind of mandolin are you talking about? With a Bron or a Shun, the guard works well.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Not sure of the brand, it was some plastic-y one my roomate got for christmas. I should buy a legit one but it'd just be another thing that'd take up space in my tiny NYC apartment.

mindphlux posted:

Towel is a good idea, I will do it next time!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Quoting this from the general questions thread in hopes of getting an answer over here:

Nicol Bolas posted:

So I'm looking for a new . . . . whirling blade apparatus?

I have an immersion blender, it's great, I love it, blitzes liquids crazyfast, but it can't do everything. It's a bit hard to make pesto and hummus with, and forget grinding coffee or spices, that's a mess.

I had a bullet blender and a tiny mini adorable-but-nigh-useless food processor. The bullet blender could take on smoothies and coffee and spices fine. The food processor is . . . . it's mostly cute, to be honest. It's Food Network brand and only holds 3 cups. My immersion blender takes 30 seconds to blitz down a can of diced tomatoes into sauce, the food processor takes like 5 minutes. It's got no power. It can barely crush nuts for pesto and the coffee grind it creates is best described as "extra chunky." Now that I've lost the blade to my bullet blender, I am looking at getting something better.

So what should I get? I could just replace the bullet for cheap, like $25, but it feels like a waste when the real food processor that I yearn for is $100. Even if I did get a bullet or a coffee / spice grinder for cheap, I want something with power inside of it. Will a food processor take on coffee and spices okay along with the usual pesto-hummus-general dice-pie crust stuff you expect a food processor to do? And what's the going GWS recommendation for food processors / bullet blender / coffee-and-spice grinder right now?

Anyone got some advice?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I don't think you'll be very happy doing coffee or spices in a normal food processor (like a 7+ cup Cuisinart or Kitchen Aid). The blades are good at chopping, but not to the fine level that you want for coffee or spices. You'll also have a heck of a time getting the smell of coffee out of the bowl. Better to just buy a small dedicated spice mill: http://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-F20342-Electric-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398825676&sr=8-1&keywords=spice+mill and a separate grinder for coffee.

For bigger stuff like chopping a lot of vegetables, making pesto, etc. a food processor is great. You can't go wrong with a big Cuisinart or Kitchen Aid IMHO. A bullet or ninja is probably fine if you don't want to drop a ton of money though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nicol Bolas posted:

Quoting this from the general questions thread in hopes of getting an answer over here:

Anyone got some advice?

for what its worth, I have two black and decker $5 coffee grinders, one for coffee, one for spices - a $20 narita miniprep 1.5 cup processor I use multiple times a week for nuts/pesto/garlic/marinades/etc, an immersion blender, a normal blender (vitamix), and a larger normal food processor. I break the food processor out only maybe once every 3 months though, and almost always for turning shrimp or pork or something into paste/dice. I could live with out it - everything else I use far more frequently.

that said, I chop all my vegetables by hand. if you actually do that by machine frequently, I guess a food processor might be worthwhile.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I honestly do most of my spices with a mortar and pestle. I'm rarely grinding more than the half cup it holds at a time, and it's fast and incredibly easy to clean. You can control the level of grind a lot more easily too. For a lot of time with peppercorns I just smash them a little with the pestle and they're good to go.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I honestly do most of my spices with a mortar and pestle. I'm rarely grinding more than the half cup it holds at a time, and it's fast and incredibly easy to clean. You can control the level of grind a lot more easily too. For a lot of time with peppercorns I just smash them a little with the pestle and they're good to go.

its doable - and I do too when it's just like one thing, but really, you can get coffee grinders for $5. I can barely even find a decent cooling rack for that. and a spice grinder will take care of tougher things to grind, like cloves, cinnamon, anise, fenugreek, idk, everything really

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nicol Bolas posted:

Anyone got some advice?
This isn't something you want one machine to do.

Tomatoes -> sauce = blender
Grinding spices = Krups spice grinder
Coffee = Burr grinder (Bodum)
Pesto/hummus = Food processor (or very strong blender)

I'd try to figure out what's actually most important to you right now and take care of that.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Okay, so I'll probably grab a coffee grinder for now and save up a bit for a halfway decent of a food processor at some point, when I hopefully have more cash and more kitchen space. (Also, I'm not a total idiot, I use my immersion blender for anything halfway liquidy--I just tried my food processor once because the immersion blender blade was in the dishwasher and was shocked by how poorly it did.)

Any reason not to just go with the cheapest model over here, or is there a going specific brand / model recommendation for a coffee / spice grinder?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nicol Bolas posted:

Okay, so I'll probably grab a coffee grinder for now and save up a bit for a halfway decent of a food processor at some point, when I hopefully have more cash and more kitchen space. (Also, I'm not a total idiot, I use my immersion blender for anything halfway liquidy--I just tried my food processor once because the immersion blender blade was in the dishwasher and was shocked by how poorly it did.)

Any reason not to just go with the cheapest model over here, or is there a going specific brand / model recommendation for a coffee / spice grinder?
Realistically, non-burr coffee grinders are going to make only ok coffee. Certainly better than pre-ground, though. See the coffee thread for reference. I wouldn't want to use the same grinder for coffee and spices, so instead of getting two grinders I'd get a burr grinder for coffee and a spice grinder for spices. But your budget seems really tight so up to you.

I have the Krups spice grinder and I like it (as do many other people). Haven't used any others so I can't say if you're getting more for your $9 extra.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nicol Bolas posted:

get the cheapest loving thing imaginable. it's a coffee/spice grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Don't get a lovely coffee grinder if you're going to be drinking coffee. It's easily one of the first upgrades you should make to better tasting coffee.

If you're just going to use it to grind spices, that's fine.

• Locked thread