Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tjones posted:

I'm not sure about the S3, but I was able to flash the stock Google rom on my model of S4.
Because there is a GPE ROM for that phone which Google makes and sells. The SGS3 does not have such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Isn't Wanam similar to GravityBox but for stock Samsung?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Got a problem I was hoping you guys could help me with. I've got a Droid 4(VZW) that's been on Cyanogenmod for a year or two. I used to get 4g everywhere in my town, but now my phone seems stuck in 3G. My first guess is that there was some firmware update or some such that I didn't get because I'm on CM. I could try going back to factory OS, but I'm really trying to avoid that. Can anyone else give some insight into what could cause this?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I recently found out it's possible to use a USB DAC with my N5. I did a little digging and it looks like I need to use Faux Sound which requires a custom kernel, anyone aware of a "stable" kernel with the faux patches? I have no desire to OC my phone and it's been so long since I dug around xda that the kernels confuse me.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ashex posted:

I recently found out it's possible to use a USB DAC with my N5. I did a little digging and it looks like I need to use Faux Sound which requires a custom kernel, anyone aware of a "stable" kernel with the faux patches? I have no desire to OC my phone and it's been so long since I dug around xda that the kernels confuse me.

You really don't need to in the first place though?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

You really don't need to in the first place though?

Not sure which part of my post you're referring to. Whenever I've looked at XDA kernels I always find most of them are about boosting performance with "minimal loss to battery life". I'm looking at the kernels right now and there's so many enhancements to them I have no idea what I'm getting.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dentata posted:

What is it about CM that you like?

Stock + GravityBox replaced my love for CM/PA/PAC-ROM/etc as it has/does just about everything that I liked from the custom ROMs.

Here's the gist of Gravity Box: http://lifehacker.com/gravitybox-adds-a-ton-of-tweaks-to-android-in-one-custo-1502250290

Here's the Gravity Box XDA thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-gravitybox-v2-9-1-tweak-box-android-t2554049

Edit: Also if you truly liked SlimROM despite the resolution issues, that may be fixed with an app like LCDDensity: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity

I just like the overall minimalism of CM11 in comparison to TouchWiz. I actually tried out C-Rom after SlimROM and love it. Will probably keep that for a while.
It has all of the features of CM and then some and seems that the stability is better than CM nightlies.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What's the best way to root and unlock the boot loader for a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 with a Mac?

Oh, should have googled more; it's not available yet :(

fookolt fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 1, 2014

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Edit - didnt mean to post in the rooted thread.

Shannow fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 1, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Am i wrong in believing that, if I flash a firmware, then fix it up and get all the apps (and app data) all just right like I want it, I can back it up into a flashable img that will let me essentially clone my "ideal setup" on another identical device? A flashable img but that has all my favorite settings and apps setup exaclty like I like?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I believe a nandroid backup will create the flashable img so yes.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Correct, you can do that in your (third-party) recovery.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
must be third party recovery?

Nandroid is the entirety of a devices fw and data (apps and data)?

Sorry for being so clueless, I just want to make sure i understand correctly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes and yes.

You can take backups with ADB but some apps are flagged so block this. To back up absolutely everything you need to do it in recovery.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm trying to return my TMobile Galaxy S4 to stock, and I've managed to get everything to say "Official" in both the phone Status and in Download Mode, but the build number still refers to the last custom rom I had installed. Anyone had to deal with this before? I've tried reflashing through Odin and factory resetting through the phone.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (Model SGH-I727). I have run it stock and I'm wondering if putting a ROM on it will make it run faster? It's a good phone, but it's 3 years old now and I was lucky to get the upgrade to android 4.1, I don't expect any more software upgrades to happen without some work on my part. Cyanogenmod is the only one I know of, is there a better choice for this phone if I want more performance?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PlesantDilemma posted:

I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (Model SGH-I727). I have run it stock and I'm wondering if putting a ROM on it will make it run faster? It's a good phone, but it's 3 years old now and I was lucky to get the upgrade to android 4.1, I don't expect any more software upgrades to happen without some work on my part. Cyanogenmod is the only one I know of, is there a better choice for this phone if I want more performance?

My even older Galaxy S i9000 (as my backup phone and alarm clock) is running CM 10.2.1 stable and is working miles better than with CM 9.0. Go hog wild with CM.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Another i9100 user, it's my work phone so I'm stuck with it until I figure out how to get a new one. I'm running CM 10.2.1 stable on it, I was having lag issues so i flashed the Dorimanx kernel and have been happy so far.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
My S4 is trying to force me to update to KitKat. I looked over on XDA and it looks like updating and keeping root is a huge pain in the rear end and might screw up your lock screen. I froze the system app that handles updates because the OTA apparently will brick rooted phones.

My question is: are there any new features actually worth using in KitKat for the S4? I'm pretty happy with how everything works right now.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

My S4 is trying to force me to update to KitKat. I looked over on XDA and it looks like updating and keeping root is a huge pain in the rear end and might screw up your lock screen. I froze the system app that handles updates because the OTA apparently will brick rooted phones.

My question is: are there any new features actually worth using in KitKat for the S4? I'm pretty happy with how everything works right now.

Having done the keep root update, the only things that seem to have changed is it's slightly snappier, the way text messages are handled sucks now, it overheats all the time, and the battery lasts half as long on a good day. Those aren't even keep root problems, they're stock KitKat features.

I'd keep 4.3 knowing what I know now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just going to say that I've had KitKat for a while on my S4 by way of Cyanogenmod, and it works great for me. Particularly, it seems to handle idling in low-signal situations much better, draining way less battery trying to keep the cell connection alive.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Recent update to gnl soars to have broke xgels/gravity box launcher tweaks, which is a major pain in the dick on the nexus 10 as it wants the same kind of grid size as a phone.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Rooted (motochopper) 4.2.2 on my ATT s4 - Just picked up a Gear 2 and having a bitch of a time trying to get it to connect.

The gear connected great to my stock Tab pro 10.1 - so I think upgrading to kitkat might be the right step on my s4, just trying to decide if it's worth keeping root. I really don't use it for much of anything aside from titanium backup - but I've never actually needed it and I've had a problem keeping a recovery on this stupid thing anyways - so thinking it might be time to put root away.

If I keep it, I was looking at the shoStock rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2468860

If I don't, what's the best method - just grab one of the recoveries on xda and go back to non-rooted, or do I just unfreeze the update app?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Recent update to gnl soars to have broke xgels/gravity box launcher tweaks, which is a major pain in the dick on the nexus 10 as it wants the same kind of grid size as a phone.

It hosed up my N5 and N7, but I had updates available for Xposed and GB. Installing those fixed it. I had already started re-adding stuff that disappeared off the phone's home screens, and when it was fixed it was all hosed up (discovered the problem on the phone first). The N7 went right back to how it was before though.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hey guys, I have a Galaxy S3 (VZW) sch-i535. I've tried the rooting things in the OP, but nothing seems to have worked on my phone. It's still not rooted, and while I have developer options now/usb debugging, I'd really like to root this thing. I don't suppose anyone could help me out?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Start here

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm jumping ship with a Galaxy S3 from Verizon like the guy above me. I'm just going to go to Cyanogen, but the official CyanogenMod Installer is telling me my device is unsupported, but I can do so at my own risk. Should I be okay?

e:Actually I'm checking the Cyanogen wiki and it seems like I might be stuck with what I have, considering i'm on 4.3 now? I really just want my phone back to normal again. 4.3 is a buggy, slow mess.

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 7, 2014

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I bought a Note 3 from eBay. Its model is SM-N9005 and it boots up with a T-Mobile splash screen - does this mean it is running something other than the Samsung stock ROM? What method should I be using to root this? I have searched and found threads about CF-Auto-Root but they speak of it being used for the stock ROM and I don't know whether I am running that or not.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Is there a way to use WiFi tether on a rooted N4 running 4.4.2? I have an unlimited data plan and I don't want the carrier to be able to detect tethering and change it. TIA.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Finally got around to switching from AOKP on my HTC One (M7) to the Google Play Edition ROM.

Only had it on for an hour, and man, it's already so much better.

Don't get me wrong, AOKP wasn't bad, better than Sense, but it was buggy. For some reason, one of the most basic things...volume...it was terrible about.

If I tried to change the "ringer" volume while inside an app (and not one that would count as the Media volume, something like Voice or Hangouts,) it would freeze for a few seconds, and often times it wouldn't actually turn the volume up, even though the slider moved. So I think I'd be out of silent/vibrate mode, but I wouldn't be. Even going into settings and changing there wouldn't help. A reboot was the only way.

This was really bad because a few times, somehow it really messed up and made everything silent, even my alarm volume, which I always leave at 100%. I was late for work a coupe days last week. Not terribly late, but still.

The only thing I'll miss is having the actual battery percentage in the status bar instead of just an icon.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Finally got around to switching from AOKP on my HTC One (M7) to the Google Play Edition ROM.

Only had it on for an hour, and man, it's already so much better.

Don't get me wrong, AOKP wasn't bad, better than Sense, but it was buggy. For some reason, one of the most basic things...volume...it was terrible about.

If I tried to change the "ringer" volume while inside an app (and not one that would count as the Media volume, something like Voice or Hangouts,) it would freeze for a few seconds, and often times it wouldn't actually turn the volume up, even though the slider moved. So I think I'd be out of silent/vibrate mode, but I wouldn't be. Even going into settings and changing there wouldn't help. A reboot was the only way.

This was really bad because a few times, somehow it really messed up and made everything silent, even my alarm volume, which I always leave at 100%. I was late for work a coupe days last week. Not terribly late, but still.

The only thing I'll miss is having the actual battery percentage in the status bar instead of just an icon.

You probably could use Xposed and GravityBox now. It should have an option to put the circle with the battery percent in the middle of the circle.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Boner Wad posted:

You probably could use Xposed and GravityBox now. It should have an option to put the circle with the battery percent in the middle of the circle.

It does indeed have this option.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Sweet, I'll try that out.

Do they also have the option to reduce the vibration strength? I forgot I had it set to, like, 50% in AOKP because the One's default vibration sets off nearby Richter scales.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sweet, I'll try that out.

Do they also have the option to reduce the vibration strength? I forgot I had it set to, like, 50% in AOKP because the One's default vibration sets off nearby Richter scales.

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.gzplanet.xposed.xperiaphonevibrator

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So what's the deal with my computer not finding the proper driver for my HTC One (M7)? I deleted all the HTC drivers and Sync and all that was installed. I even bothered installing the Google USB driver from the SDK and everything, but every time I connect my phone to the computer through fastboot I get an error that the driver doesn't work and the computer stopped it. However if I boot up the phone properly and connect a USB it works fine, no luck on fastboot though.

I've deleted the driver and have tried plugging and unplugging the phone to see if Windows will just download the right driver but there's no solution there.

This is with Windows 8.1, I've never had this issue with Windows 7 :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Connect the phone to your PC.
Delete whatever driver it tries to use.
Disconnect the phone from your PC.
Repeat those steps until the phone is not detected at all. You might have to do it a bunch of times.
Now plug it in again and point it manually to the Google Composite driver.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best software for rooting the Nexus 7 (2013)? I tried to ues WUGS Roottool, but the auto detect it strongly suggest using refused to work, even through I enabled the developer usb option it wanted.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

What the best software for rooting the Nexus 7 (2013)? I tried to ues WUGS Roottool, but the auto detect it strongly suggest using refused to work, even through I enabled the developer usb option it wanted.
Just do it manually in fastboot and recovery, toolkits are pointless for Nexus devices.

How far have you got? Is your bootloader unlocked?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Just do it manually in fastboot and recovery, toolkits are pointless for Nexus devices.

Tunga is right. Just install the SDK and do it the way you're supposed to. It's a matter of typing three lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tunga posted:

Haven't started yet since the next step was backing up before starting unlocking.