Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

There's a pretty good chance she was just saying that because she wanted him to stick around for her scam. It could be true but it could also be bullshit.

It's bullshit in three out of four universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Really love the premise and the start of the new comic. I just hope that Thorsby dosen't get bored of it like towards the end of TASS.

I also imagine Thorsby as the creator of a modern, animated Twilight Zone.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zinkraptor posted:

I'm not sure it the problem with it in rear end was that the premise was wearing thin, but rather that the circumstances for it just weren't that interesting or engaging.

Orrrr because it's a gimmick he's used up entirely.

Seriously, I might bail on this one if it goes into that same spiral, no matter how interesting the premise happens to be. If I want that level of awkward, I'll go back to watching Seinfeld.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

RickoniX posted:

I liked it in LSW and HFD but it really wore thin in rear end

I just remembered it was in TASS also and agree it wasn't as funny. But I'll chalk that up to not really caring about the characters and Thorsby just not putting effort in anymore because he pretty clearly ran out of steam. That last planet dragged on way too long.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
So... looks like the Ulfs can force themselves connected to each other.

How many strips do you give it before there's blood involved?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wonder how they could possibly punish each other. This one shows that the Ulfs see each other to be different people rather than instances from the same ego.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
My only concern is that he'll keep the cast contained to ulf since there's 4 of him already. Hitmen worked best when it was a bunch of weirdos playing off a bunch of other weirdos.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

A big flaming stink posted:

My only concern is that he'll keep the cast contained to ulf since there's 4 of him already. Hitmen worked best when it was a bunch of weirdos playing off a bunch of other weirdos.

Keep in mind that A: Ulf can block out redundant alternates (i.e. ones too similar to others) and B: the Ulfs will diverge further and further as per chaos theory. Perhaps, in time, the Ulfs will become very different to each others.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Near the start, when it split into 4 Ulfs, the Veras give them the option to be AA, AB, BA, BB. How did they decide this? From the perspective of the second pair of Veras, they had A and B. They must have used some sort of off-screen criteria to determine which pair is AX and which pair is BX.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

dipwood posted:

Near the start, when it split into 4 Ulfs, the Veras give them the option to be AA, AB, BA, BB. How did they decide this? From the perspective of the second pair of Veras, they had A and B. They must have used some sort of off-screen criteria to determine which pair is AX and which pair is BX.

Not so. Both AXes remember being A, because up to the second split their pasts are identical and they WERE both A, and their respective Vera remember that too. Thus, the former A's could only choose between being AA and AB. Same with the BXes.

Whenever the Ulfs double in number, each Ulf splits in two and gets a new letter, A or B, on the end of his Ulf-code.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

Not so. Both AXes remember being A, because up to the second split their pasts are identical and they WERE both A, and their respective Vera remember that too. Thus, the former A's could only choose between being AA and AB. Same with the BXes.

Whenever the Ulfs double in number, each Ulf splits in two and gets a new letter, A or B, on the end of his Ulf-code.

Oh, o.k.. So the next instantiation is going to be AAA, AAB, ABA, ABB, BAA, BAB, BBA, BBB?
Kinda arbitrary that extant realities only diverge on weekly intervals though. Oh well, BRAINCHIP.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sizone posted:

Oh, o.k.. So the next instantiation is going to be AAA, AAB, ABA, ABB, BAA, BAB, BBA, BBB?
Kinda arbitrary that extant realities only diverge on weekly intervals though. Oh well, BRAINCHIP.

Realities diverge a lot more often. It's all explained in the first comic. Every week the chip connects to one new universe, out of the near-infinite numbers there are.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

You're agreeing with me in the first part.

However, it still doesn't explain how the first pair decided they were A, and the second pair, who from their perspective is the first pair, decided they were B.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dipwood posted:

However, it still doesn't explain how the first pair decided they were A, and the second pair, who from their perspective is the first pair, decided they were B.

One Ulf knows himself as B. B split into two, and one of them decided to be BA, and one BB. Equally, The Ulf formerly known as A split in two, and they decided between being AA and AB.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

dipwood posted:

Because one Ulf shouted that he wants to be A and the other Ulf was like i guess im B then

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Oh I just realized my confusion. The splitting point is from the A and B... I thought something else.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
This is amusing, but I'm really starting to wonder if Hitmen for Destiny was his zenith.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

We don't even really know where this is going yet. It's way too early to call it, in my opinion.

vvvv I could definitely see that.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 12, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

An Old Boot posted:

This is amusing, but I'm really starting to wonder if Hitmen for Destiny was his zenith.

I'm thinking it was definitely his magnum opus, his Story, with this and Space Spy being more creative/fun explorations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Have to agree with Gorf that we haven't really seen where this one is going. Hitmen took at least until Dr. Lostclock to really hit stride.

And hey, seems like the Ulfs (Ulves?) are going to be their own enemies.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

:siren:New strip!:siren: Oh god I just laughed out loud.

Also, I can't be the only one who, when Ulf-on-the-right tuned in, imagined his side of the panel creeping in, slowly the first time and sloooowly the second time.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 15, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ulf is creating a whole new definition for self-loathing.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

:siren:New strip.:siren: Oh Ulf. Ulf, Ulf, Ulf.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think that the one thing that's really selling Transdimensional Brain Chip for me is that Ulf is a complete and utter moron. I can't wait to see parallel universe Aisha.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Prediction: Since BBA and AAB diverged at the start of Week 1, two weeks earlier, AAB's Aisha will be different from BBA's and his attempt to date her will fail amusingly.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
It's interesting the way Ulf is learning, though.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The way the Ulfs screwed themselves out of getting laid reminded me of the explanation of Nash Equilibrium in A Beautiful Mind.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

She probably thinks he's a mind-reader for the Chem-Trails.

I am expecting amusing results from having that brain-chip treated like that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

She probably thinks he's a mind-reader for the Chem-Trails.

I am expecting amusing results from having that brain-chip treated like that.

Or that he read her diary or something.

Alternately, maybe a Roomba murdered her parents within the week since the divergence or something.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
:siren: new page!

The secret is out.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Or that he read her diary or something.

drat, right on the money.

I wonder if Ulf will realize that he can make super money off this as a psychic.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable point when Ulf will want to get rid of the brain chip. It has to be something pretty traumatic.

I'm surprised that they're able to coordinate with each other so as not to overload every Ulf with 8x memories at once.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
In all possible worlds, Aisha has a robot maid sex fantasy.

Huh, just got the Ulf-division thing. Yeah, the ulferal picture of this strip isn't going to hit until, like, 10 years have passed between An... and Bn... and they live in radically different realities.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 26, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

dipwood posted:

I'm surprised that they're able to coordinate with each other so as not to overload every Ulf with 8x memories at once.

I think the accessing of memories is done in the same way that senses are accessed. It's whole-brain contact - memories, all senses, the whole shebang - so the tune-out mechanism probably works on memories as well as senses.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

This is surprisingly tender!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is surprisingly tender!

Yeah, until whats-her-name also gets a brain implant and discovers he was lying about every single Ulf dating her.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

It's pretty fun to see Ulf become more and more manipulative as time goes on. He's becoming less of a lovable goof and more of a dick.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, until whats-her-name also gets a brain implant and discovers he was lying about every single Ulf dating her.

Her own implant would cover alternate timelines starting from the moment she got the implant, so she'd be with Ulf in every one of those (at least at the start).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Prediction: At the start of Week 4, neither of the ABBs will want to be ABBA.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Car Trunk Hell Gate sounds like my kinda movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The most recent comic got me thinking: if something happens that completely fucks up an Ulf's situation or life, there's still a bunch of Ulfs remaining, and they'll be able to learn from it. Maybe we'll see some Ulfs manipulate another Ulf into doing something risky to see what happens.

• Locked thread