Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I know this is the Canon thread but your lens choices are pretty bland.

While I love the 40mm pancake and it's pretty cheap, I'd swap the 40/60macro combo for a Sigma 30 1.4 ART and a Tamron 60 2.0 Macro. Might be a touch more expensive than the Canons as a combo, but a nicer pair that you'll probably get more fidelity out of.

Also on the long end I'd hold off on making any actual purchases until you can try a few combos out. Long primes are nice for their speed but being locked in to a specific zoom level can be frustrating compositionally. I'd look at something in a 70-300 and see if you're wanting more reach than that before pulling the trigger on any expensive lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

lol at the 70-200 being considered huge

I just bought this monstrosity a little bit ago:

Bird photography is a helluva drug

Oh my god, this is why I said gently caress it, and sold all my Canon gear off. I knew sooner or later, if I kept going the way I was going, I'd be spending more on lenses than on cars.

(I still get the itch to buy stuff for birding :ohdear:)

Edit: Oh man it's only 7k :negative:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Whirlwind Jo100 posted:

Also on the long end I'd hold off on making any actual purchases until you can try a few combos out. Long primes are nice for their speed but being locked in to a specific zoom level can be frustrating compositionally. I'd look at something in a 70-300 and see if you're wanting more reach than that before pulling the trigger on any expensive lenses.

I disagree, if the main reason for getting a long lens is birding there is no such thing as too long and 400mm is basically the minimum length to start with. The 100-400 might be a decent alternative but I can virtually guarantee it will be permanently zoomed to the long end.

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: Oh man it's only 7k :negative:

Got mine off Craigslist for $2500 from some guy moving to France :smugdog:

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Yea, that is my thought on the 400mm prime as well. I thought about the Tamron 150-600, but by all accounts the canon 400 is sharper even cropped to match t the long end, not to mention it's not readily available.

So far I think I am switching the 60mm macro to the 100mm based on those recommendations and will give the photive batteries a go. Not completely ready to go 70d or 7d yet though, but I am leaning towards the 70d because I do think i'll end up shooting a decent amount of video.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

For general walking around and vacations you're going to want something wider than the 40mm.

It's great for what it is (compact, super sharp, cheap) but on crop it becomes limiting as a general-use walkaround lens. If you really want to go prime, you have the money, and you don't *need* something so tiny, get the Sigma 30mm.

The 100mm 2.8 is definitely awesome.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
So now it looks like the 70d has come down another $100 in price new. So I was considering the 18-55 kit lens. If I do could I still justify the pancake even though it's prime?

I don't think I could do the sigma 30 at this point, it bumps the price up just enough for me to hesitate.

I guess the problem with the kit is its maximum 3.5, but the stm would probably be quiet than the sigma for video.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

TheMirage posted:

So now it looks like the 70d has come down another $100 in price new. So I was considering the 18-55 kit lens. If I do could I still justify the pancake even though it's prime?

I don't think I could do the sigma 30 at this point, it bumps the price up just enough for me to hesitate.

I guess the problem with the kit is its maximum 3.5, but the stm would probably be quiet than the sigma for video.

70D has decent enough high-ISO performance f/3.5 isn't that limiting.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

TheMirage posted:

If you want to do video with AF, and not require an off camera mic, just get one of the kit lenses. They are the only ones that are totally silent on video.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The pancake 40 is really well built, faster aperture than the kit lens, and really small and light. It's just wide enough to be useful indoors at bars or parties, and the lens is small enough that even on a x0D body it's tolerable to carry around all day. The only reason I'm not using mine on vacation this week is because the Tamron 17-50 is more flexible for the same f/2.8.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Thanks to everyone's suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the 70d with the 18-55kit, 40mm pancake, 400mm 5.6L prime and 100mm EFS 2.8 Macro. I'm going to try out the photive batteries as well. It's coming on Wednesday, very exciting times.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What are you planning on using the 100mm macro for? It's kind of in no-man's land on a crop where you've got no reach but you're a little too tight for most portraiture stuff.

Otherwise, solid lineup. I'm sure you'll enjoy the features of the 70D.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Don't know about you guys, but I rarely find the 400 f/5.6 an appropriate lens to bring with me. I either always think I'm bringing too much if I have it or that I probably won't use it anyways. I basically have to plan trips just to use the lens.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

Don't know about you guys, but I rarely find the 400 f/5.6 an appropriate lens to bring with me. I either always think I'm bringing too much if I have it or that I probably won't use it anyways. I basically have to plan trips just to use the lens.

That's how I felt about the 100-400 too

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

rcman50166 posted:

Do you shoot wildlife? If not, then yeah, its uses are rather limited. For birding/wildlife its pretty great but I suppose that counts for "plan[ning] trips just to use the lens".

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Yea I mean i'm used to shooting birds with a 1020mm focal length. Granted the lens and camera aren't near as good. As far as focal length goes, for birds/wildlife even that isn't enough at times. I'm not worried about not getting use from the 400 f/5.6. In fact one of the main reason i'm choosing Canon is for that lens, I mean at least until i save up $13,000.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What are you planning on using the 100mm macro for?

Macro shots?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here owns the Canon 16-35/2.8 L II? Is it really that soft wide open as I read in various places?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Macro? I just use a 40mm pancake and extension tubes.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
If you had unlimited funds, and wanted to buy a body, a flash, some really handy accessories, and four or five lens, what would you all go with? Think of trying to cover as much ground as possible with the lens choices, asides from wildlife and sports photography (no fixed telephotos, in other words).

VVV right, Canon or Canon compatible stuff

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Restricted to a Canon system, I assume?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
1DX
5D
24-105 f/4 IS L
16-35mm f/2.8 L II
70-200mm f/2.8 L II
85mm f/1.8
35mm f/2 IS
300mm f/2.8 L II
600mm whatever

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

All that plus 3 Paul Buff Einstein E640 lights, and to go on them, 2 striplights, 1 bigass softbox, and a beauty dish. Plus stands and a cybersync system to fire 'em all.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

mrlego posted:

1DX
5DmkIII
Battery Grip
24-105 f/4 IS L
24-70 f/2.8 L II
16-35mm f/2.8 L II
70-200mm f/2.8 L II
85mm f/1.8 f/1.2 L II
35mm f/2 IS
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art
24mm f/3.5 TS-E L II
300mm f/2.8 L II
600mm whatever
1.4x & 2x TC mkIII
Speedlite 600EX-RT
ST-E3-RT

feexed

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I have way too much of that list for someone who never takes pictures.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Do you shoot wildlife? If not, then yeah, its uses are rather limited. For birding/wildlife its pretty great but I suppose that counts for "plan[ning] trips just to use the lens".

I do shoot wildlife. I got the lens specifically for that. However, the uses other than that are far and few between.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
5d3

24mm f/1.4 L
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 art
85mm f/1.2 L
135mm f/2 L
200mm f/1.8 L

Hey you did say unlimited funds.

(serious answer: 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 50 art)

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Wild EEPROM posted:

replace the 16-35 with the sigma 12-24 and its perfect

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

1D Mark IV for $1500 on Craigslist... How can I make sure it's not stolen besides checking if the dentist facing divorce has all its cables and such? I've been planning on eventually upgrading my 7D to a 5D3 for wildlife, but this would be a fantastic reasonably similar upgrade for less money.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
What type of wildlife? Isn't the 7D pretty much ideal for wildlife shooters?

EDIT: Not ideal, but preferred? I thought the added reach was more important than going full frame most of the time.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 29, 2014

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Whirlwind Jones posted:

EDIT: Not ideal, but preferred? I thought the added reach was more important than going full frame most of the time.
The 1D IV isn't full frame, it's a 1.3x crop. The increased autofocus performance with a 1D4 would absolutely (in my opinion) make up for the slightly wider crop.

Edit: For 1500 bucks, drat, how could you pass that up?

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 29, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Doof. I blanked out and thought you were still talking about the 5D3. My bad.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

rcman50166 posted:

I do shoot wildlife. I got the lens specifically for that. However, the uses other than that are far and few between.

Well, yeah, its pretty much what its for. When I had one it was the lens I used the most by far but wildlife is pretty much all I shoot so :shrug:

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nah, I think the 1DIV is vastly superior. The AF, IQ, noise handling, burst rate and general performance are all more than worth the slight tradeoff of reach. I can't think of a single instance where I wished I had a 7D instead of the 1DIV. Also, the 1DIV is an APS-H so there is a bit of crop to it.

Alpenglow - If it doesn't seem sketchy, I'd say jump on it. If you decide you'd rather get the 5DIII later on, you could turn that 1DIV around and make money on it. They're still going for over 2k on eBay.

e: a lot of people have started switching to the 5DIII for the IQ, AF and especially noise handling. The 5DIII (and 1DX) can shoot at ultra high ISO's with very little noise which is pretty awesome for wildlife stuff considering a lot of animals are most active at dawn and dusk.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 29, 2014

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Wild EEPROM posted:

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 art

Picking this bad boy up tomorrow assuming my local shop gets it in. All of the online shops have it listed as 4/29 release, but who knows when my brick and mortar and tax free shop will get their stock.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I played with a Tamron 70-200, a Canon 70-200, and the fixed 200l, and went with the 200l. What a lens it is...

PTA bout-90 by sildargod, on Flickr

PTA bout-4 by sildargod, on Flickr

PTA bout-6 by sildargod, on Flickr

Focus is a little difficult to obtain with the ludicrously thin DoF, which means many, many images are discarded, but when it's right the result is like magic.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

bisticles posted:

All that plus 3 Paul Buff Einstein E640 lights, and to go on them, 2 striplights, 1 bigass softbox, and a beauty dish. Plus stands and a cybersync system to fire 'em all.

Unlimited funds? I'm going straight to the Profoto aisle and hauling off a couple of Air 8s.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Anybody know how long the waitlist for the Tamron 150-600mm is?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

Anybody know how long the waitlist for the Tamron 150-600mm is?

there's sellers on amazon who have it in stock right now

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
yeah, bullshit they do. all there is are the 200-500mm ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently the waitlist is eternity because I've been watching sites since March and nothing has come up. If they are getting lenses in they're selling instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

mrlego posted:

1DX
5D
24-105 f/4 IS L
16-35mm f/2.8 L II
70-200mm f/2.8 L II
85mm f/1.8
35mm f/2 IS
300mm f/2.8 L II
600mm whatever

Wild EEPROM posted:

5d3

24mm f/1.4 L
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 art
85mm f/1.2 L
135mm f/2 L
200mm f/1.8 L

Hey you did say unlimited funds.

That's great, thanks y'all. And I do mean unlimited funds, I'm just turning over some options in my mind and I figured I'd ask to see if there were any really out-there lenses that more experienced people knew of and coveted, but I hadn't seen or read about because they were so outside of most people's budgets.