Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Is Rosilina still going to be heavy class driver because that always struck me as a weird choice. I mean she's the same size as peach and daisy who are light class drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I'm hoping for baby Wario and baby Waluigi.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is Rosilina still going to be heavy class driver because that always struck me as a weird choice. I mean she's the same size as peach and daisy who are light class drivers.

Rosalina is actually like, seven feet tall in every game she appears in.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Rosalina is actually like, seven feet tall in every game she appears in.

Yet she has not been in a Mario basketball game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah she's one of the tallest Nintendo characters, I think taller than Samus even.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah she's one of the tallest Nintendo characters, I think taller than Samus even.

She really does not look that much bigger than the rest of them in Mario Kart. Granted they're sitting down, but DK and Bowser still tower over the others.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

The true reason for Samus's hover heels revealed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If you wanna go by Smash Bros rules, Rosalina is actually a light character despite being 7 feet tall because of her anti gravity whatever

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah there's no way that spot after the koopa kids isn't Bowser Jr. I dunno about the other two since MK7 had some weird ones like Wiggler and the bee lady from Mario Galaxy.

I'm guessing playing as a Mii will still be an option

I dunno. If Bowser Jr was in the game, his spot as Bowser's "real" son would definitely have him as right next to Bowser. Not playing second fiddle to the Koopalings.

If anything, I'm guessing our next 3 spots are Dry Bones, Birdo (arranged with the other minor characters and minions), and Dry Bowser (shoved in the corner like Metal Mario was in the human section, has been in many Karts before, and would make sense to be after a lot of Koopas.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

She really does not look that much bigger than the rest of them in Mario Kart. Granted they're sitting down, but DK and Bowser still tower over the others.
Bowser technically has variable size, sometimes Bowser is only slightly taller than Mario in some games and sometimes they hulk him up.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Honestly? I'd like a secret racer to be Captain Falcon. Use MK8 to subtly announce the next F-Zero game. Mute City is a bonus track in the game as well.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think she's a heavy because they wanted a female character in every weight class.

And she wasn't a heavyweight in MK7, she was cruiserweight as was Wiggler and DK oddly enough, always found that odd how MK7 went with 4 weight classes instead of 3.

And I don't think she's 7 feet tall, she looks about as tall as Peach in the winning podium if you use bicycles in MKWii, its just that she's floating all the time so she looks really tall.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Honestly? I'd like a secret racer to be Captain Falcon. Use MK8 to subtly announce the next F-Zero game. Mute City is a bonus track in the game as well.

I would love for another F-Zero game, but I don't know if it'll ever happen. It's so sad to play NintendoLand and thing "Man, this sure is the last Metroid and F-Zero game"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alteisen posted:

And I don't think she's 7 feet tall, she looks about as tall as Peach in the winning podium if you use bicycles in MKWii, its just that she's floating all the time so she looks really tall.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mario's a dwarf at 3 feet

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Metal Mario's a dumb choice, bring back ROB and Funky Kong.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Surlaw posted:

It's probably just a real easy re-texture and they can use the same rig.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I wish I had grabbed a screenshot to complain about this propperly but the second level of the Dr. Mario portion of NES Remix championship challenge mode dropped all the viruses except one in a vertical column on the far right. Goodbye chain reactions, hello having to clean up the second column for no points so I can get to the viruses after I clear out the top one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Surlaw posted:

(I think) stat wise Metal Mario is the fastest character in MK7 so he gets a lot of use in time trials, maybe Nintendo confused that with popularity. Plus I guess he's just a texture swap of Mario with distorted voice clips so

I've been using Toad since Super Mario Kart though so I guess I don't really care about the rest of the roster

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 28, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe its perspective thing? Or she's floating?

http://mariokart.wikia.com/wiki/Rosalina

Look at the bike pics, she doesn't look that massive.

quote:

(I think) stat wise Metal Mario is the fastest character in MK7 so he gets a lot of use in time trials, maybe Nintendo confused that with popularity

Na, all the characters are identical stat wise in MK7, people use Metal Mario because he is a heavy racer with a small character body, in MK7 anyone can use any kart thus the kart shrinks or expands depending on the drive, shy guy's b-dasher is tiny, Bowser's is huge and so on.

Metal Mario having heavy stats but small proportions lets people take crazy shortcuts and tighter corners.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 28, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wonder how fast people would buy up Mario kart DLC if it was Link and Zelda as playable characters?

Alteisen posted:

Maybe its perspective thing? Or she's floating?

http://mariokart.wikia.com/wiki/Rosalina

Look at the bike pics, she doesn't look that massive.

Bike pic is really just her head on the same body that daisy and peach use.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Mario's a dwarf at 3 feet
Yeah Mario's always been kinda squat.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Alteisen posted:

I think she's a heavy because they wanted a female character in every weight class.

And she wasn't a heavyweight in MK7, she was cruiserweight as was Wiggler and DK oddly enough, always found that odd how MK7 went with 4 weight classes instead of 3.

5 weight classes, actually: Feather, Light, Medium, Cruiser, and Heavy.

As far as Rosalina goes, I don't mind that she's a heavyweight. It's a nice change of pace.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
After playing it all weekend, I still honest to god don't know what someone who said there was a delay when playing NES Remix 2 was talking about. My TV is only 720P, though. Is it possible that the game is 720P, and someone with a 1080P TV would suffer from a delay due to some sort of upscaling?

I am the type that just wants Nintendo to keep remaking old and new versions of the games I played when I was ten until the end of time, so I am quite happy with Remix 2. The ability to post replays is great. I'm in my late 20s and I don't get a chance to sit around the TV with my friends and take turns in Mario 2 anymore, but the replays and miiverse integration help recreate that so well. I'm probably in Nintendo's target audience, it's just too bad their target audience is so small.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 28, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zack_Gochuck posted:

After playing it all weekend, I still honest to god don't know what someone who said there was a delay when playing NES Remix 2 was talking about. My TV is only 720P, though. Is it possible that the game is 720P, and someone with a 1080P TV would suffer from a delay due to some sort of upscaling?

Yea, I didn't notice any input delay at all. More than likely it's whomever's TV. A lot of TV's have a "game mode" option and depending if that's on or off can make a huge difference for input delay.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The final locked slot will be Kirby.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I am the type that just wants Nintendo to keep remaking old and new versions of the games I played when I was ten until the end of time, so I am quite happy with Remix 2. The ability to post replays is great. I'm in my late 20s and I don't get a chance to sit around the TV with my friends and take turns in Mario 2 anymore, but the replays and miiverse integration help recreate that so well. I'm probably in Nintendo's target audience, it's just too bad their target audience is so small.

ALL modern TVs have some amount of input delay, while old CRT style TVs basically didn't. On a modern TV you can usually enable Game Mode or something similar to reduce the amount of delay, but there's always going to be some.

Usually the only time it comes up is with rhythm games though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A good way to test for delay is to compare to the Gamepad, which doesn't lag. Listening to the tone when you hit the Home button is a really clear way to check if the audio is synced (which I find a bit easier to gauge than video sync).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wonder how fast people would buy up Mario kart DLC if it was Link and Zelda as playable characters?

I've never understood why mario kart doesn't have characters from every Nintendo game. It's the PERFECT series for it. Imagine ganondorf riding around on a kart-a-rized chariot from hell. Mario Kart Wii even had the blue falcon in it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Misandu posted:

ALL modern TVs have some amount of input delay, while old CRT style TVs basically didn't. On a modern TV you can usually enable Game Mode or something similar to reduce the amount of delay, but there's always going to be some.

Usually the only time it comes up is with rhythm games though.

Game Mode pretty much turns off all the additional processing on the TV that can cause delay. Stuff like frame rate smoothing, "cinema" looks, and other stuff. It's the other stuff that causes delay, game mode turns it off. But then there is just inherent delay on some types of displays, where plasma is better than LED.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

A good way to test for delay is to compare to the Gamepad, which doesn't lag. Listening to the tone when you hit the Home button is a really clear way to check if the audio is synced (which I find a bit easier to gauge than video sync).

The gamepad has about one frame of lag(~16ms) which is great and lower than 99% of consumer tvs these days. But it still has lag

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just moved in with my friend and last night hooked the Wii U up to his tv and experienced some of the worst lag in the world. I'm pretty sure it will destroy our friendship forever.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Game Mode pretty much turns off all the additional processing on the TV that can cause delay. Stuff like frame rate smoothing, "cinema" looks, and other stuff. It's the other stuff that causes delay, game mode turns it off. But then there is just inherent delay on some types of displays, where plasma is better than LED.

Man, I wish my parents' TV had that. Everything feels so sluggish compared to my monitor, and it looks pretty bad too since there's no way to turn off the motion interpolation and edge enhancement.

The annoying thing is, Blu-ray films don't need any of these 'enhancements' to look good, since they're at the same resolution as the TV. I can understand why noisy or highly compressed standard definition video could benefit from these filters, but for games and Blu-ray they're completely unnecessary.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Most TV's have an option to disable it in someway, it's just most likely named something stupidly. Interpolation, 120hz, cinema feel, whatever.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
You can try seeing if some of the options here work: http://www.displaylag.com/how-to-enable-game-mode-on-your-hdtv/

Otherwise you could just disable as much as you can from the hdmi device that your game console is hooked up to.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So this popped up on Nintendo's UK Twitter account.

Better than Cranky's memes by far.

Seaniccus
Nov 26, 2004

FREEZE, I'm with the government.

Sakurazuka posted:

Err, does he mean the HD port of Wind Waker? Otherwise you might be waiting a while.

He might mean hyrule warriors?

I don't think that counts though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

FPzero posted:

So this popped up on Nintendo's UK Twitter account.

Better than Cranky's memes by far.

Crawling has not been authorized. Also Metroids do not have knees.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
How the heck is Mario Kart 67Mb to download from the Eshop? The rom on the internet barely clears 1mb and the emulator needed is like 3 mb (last I checked ages ago).

I bought Ducktales when it was on sale recently. God that game is gorgeous and playing on the tablet is great, but is it me or is it hard.

Has anyone here tried out the GBA Virtual Console? Does it work well? My misses wants to buy either Mario Kart, Yoshi island or Amazing mirror but I have no idea how well it works. (I also don't want to buy Amazing mirror since it doesn't have the godly multiplayer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The GBA is the best-handled VC platform so far. Everything runs perfectly and is scaled to look really crisp, with a few different display options available that the NES and SNES games don't give you.

• Locked thread