Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cardboard Box posted:

can you also get those 6 respecs again through new game+? I'm wondering just how much freedom I have here

As far as I know yes you can. So go wild.

Elysiume posted:

My dex build has over 50% winrate in PvP! well maybe I'm not actually keeping track also I have a bunch of strength
Don't worry I have yet to play PvP because I'm waiting on getting as much material as I can before NG+ but i lost one time against some bellkeepers when i was trying to rush the area so i'm 100% scrub :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

404notfound posted:

For some reason I'm really amused by all the incredibly immature messages that people try so hard to turn into something lewd. "Visions of tight spot..." in front of the Emerald Herald, a whole lot of messages ending in "but hole," and some other miscellaneous stuff that's not as juvenile ("Listen carefully, skeleton"). I left my own in Soldier's Rest in the room with the dead giant: "head but hole." Makes sense if you remember what the giant looks like :haw:

It had a good number of ratings until I lost it because I didn't realize you could only have ten messages out at once :sigh:

Dumb messages are the only ones I upvote anymore.

Sure I got more free heals from marking a wall or an ambush, but I find more joy putting "Hurray for rolling!" underneath piles of barrels.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardboard Box posted:

can you also get those 6 respecs again through new game+? I'm wondering just how much freedom I have here

Obviously I'm just making an educated guess, but since a true new game+ resets everything about the game to the start state I can't possibly imagine you not being able to get them again.

However, I don't think any of them are gained through circumstances which can be reset through a bonfire ascetic, the normal farming method for things.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I just got invaded by a gray and red phantom at the same time in the belltower. The red killed the grey phantom while I hid it out. He then spent 5 minutes waiting for me to come out in the open. He finally decided he was tired of waiting for me and climbed up the roof, only to get torn to pieces by the inconspicuous urn behind him. :haw:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

notZaar posted:

I'm trying to run a punchy man with double cestus, any idea how not to get my rear end kicked? I upgrade them as I go and try to distribute my points evenly between Dex and Str but it just doesn't seem like a viable weapon.

You're power stancing, right? The power stance left handed light attack is where it really shines.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh my God. My +6 Bastard Sword can't out-damage Estus Chuggers. :( Any tips?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Crusher posted:

My new favorite thing:

1. Drop a single wooden arrow at the bottom of the staircase of the second floor of Belfry Luna
2. Chameleon on the 3rd floor of Belfry Luna by the hole in the floor.
3. Wait til invaders pick up the item, drop down, backstab with super powerful weapon of your choice.
4. Praise the Sun.

Instead of an arrow, use an Alluring Skull.

Artificer posted:

Slather some rotten pine resin on it?

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&userid=163813&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This guy has posted basically any moment he is awake about this game. Please ban him because this is super unhealthy and I'm pretty sure he's going to die from neglecting his body due to his addiction.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

neetengie posted:

Try to make a Vit build - I don't know a lot of high damage low requirement weapons, but I think one is the Ruler's Sword at least, along with the Burger King weapons and some weapons like the Bluemoon greatsword. Also you have 6 tries, so it's not as limiting. You can even make a Dex build :haw:

Stop trying to make Burger King a thing, it's not a thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Artificer posted:

Are you going for the backstab when they stop to chug estus?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The Crusher posted:

You're power stancing, right? The power stance left handed light attack is where it really shines.

Do you mean two handing one weapon?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

YOSPOS King posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&userid=163813&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This guy has posted basically any moment he is awake about this game. Please ban him because this is super unhealthy and I'm pretty sure he's going to die from neglecting his body due to his addiction.

neetengie has more

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

YOSPOS King posted:

Shut up.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW

TheQat posted:

neetengie has more

They both need help.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

notZaar posted:

Do you mean two handing one weapon?

Nope, I mean holding the two-hand button so you enter the "power stance", it causes your character model to raise their fists slightly and it changes your moveset of left-hand attacks. With fists, it makes you do a one-two punch in a single motion.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

YOSPOS King posted:

They both need help.

I've had nothing to do the past week and I really like Dark Souls :shrug: I don't see why you care in the first place.

neetengie posted:

Try to make a Vit build - I don't know a lot of high damage low requirement weapons, but I think one is the Ruler's Sword at least, along with the Burger King weapons and some weapons like the Bluemoon greatsword. Also you have 6 tries, so it's not as limiting. You can even make a Dex build :haw:

Why is dex scaling so bad compared to strength this time around?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Artificer posted:

Still using a normal greatsword, but now it's outliving it's usefulness? Well, not to worry! Because the producers of this game have also made ULTRA Greatswords! :haw: Go bigger and stronger as you hurl these machines of death around the arena - just look at these testimonials!

"greatswords are for scrubs because they have a wide radius of a swing and i'm bad at dodgin pls ban me :( " - some scrub
"i liek cosplaying as Cloud Strife xD" - anime nerd
"I enjoy using the greatsword because I can SLAM FUCKERS INTO THE GROUND WITH IT!" -Guts cosplayer

and if you think that having one ULTRA greatsword will get old, don't worry! There are so many different flavors of them, you can get a replica of the Pursuers, the Lost Sinners, the Crypt Blacksword, your standard Zweihander, and many more!

Why wait? Get your ULTRA greatsword today!

this is loving terrible but i spent too much time on making this up so might as well post it :(

TheQat posted:

neetengie has more
I am an actual neet so it makes sense. I loving hate it.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Holly poo poo you can aim with the crossbow now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Are you going for the backstab when they stop to chug estus?

Yeah. Doesn't kill them enough and then they get away to chug more. I slip up, then they're back at full.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The Crusher posted:

Nope, I mean holding the two-hand button so you enter the "power stance", it causes your character model to raise their fists slightly and it changes your moveset of left-hand attacks. With fists, it makes you do a one-two punch in a single motion.

I'll give it a shot. I must have skipped over that part of the tutorial.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Well, the Bastard Sword is at +10 now. Thanks Bell Covenant! It does a lot better to counter Estus now. Maybe some more Str/Dex to take advantage of the scaling would help.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

notZaar posted:

I'll give it a shot. I must have skipped over that part of the tutorial.

You need 1.5x the highest weapon's requirements to enter that stance (so for Cestus, you need 15 STR and 9 DEX). If the weapon combo is not compatible with each other or your stats don't meet the requirement, you'll just end up two-handing your left-handed weapon. You'll know you're in the stance when you raise your weapons slightly.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

White Phosphorus posted:

How? L1 does jack poo poo for me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ignimbrite posted:

Two-hand the bow.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Ignimbrite posted:

I know with an Xbox controller you equip it in the right hand, two hand it and pull the left trigger (or I think that was how it went, I didn't do much with bows/crossbows).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

The Crusher posted:

I know the one/two left light is the overall most useful move, but I have a soft spot for the goofy as hell left power attack. Also, the right light attack is really useful for quick strike and move away play.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The cutoff point for adaptability is 37 right? That's the number to go for?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Ignimbrite posted:

I have it (heavy crossbow) in my offhand. Press and hold y to two-hand the offhand weapon. Then press R1 to aim, and L1/L2 to fire.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Elysiume posted:

Two-hand the bow.

Sneaky fuckers.

Cabadillo
Jan 1, 2004

Adorable and Nutritious

White Phosphorus posted:

You can aim with magic, too! The Binoculars, which are hidden off the ledge to the right of the exit of Places Betwixt into Majula, along with some other goodies like a mace and a chime, can be off-handed while you cast spells. Don't play a mage without them!

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

How long does it usually take to get summoned for bellbroing? I've been waiting a good 15 minutes now with nothing. I just want titanite chunks :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you riposte enemies after guard breaking them? I'm trying to walk up to them and to a light attack before they recover but it comes out like a normal attack.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Artificer posted:

The cutoff point for adaptability is 37 right? That's the number to go for?

Adaptability isn't really the thing that scales, agility is. You'll want around 95-99 agility to dodge stuff reliably.

I guess you can also dump adaptability altogether, and just not roll, but there are some enemies and bosses in the late game that will murder you pretty bad if you don't know how to roll.

If you didn't know already, remember that it's better to roll through an attack, not away from it.

Jack Trades posted:

How do you riposte enemies after guard breaking them? I'm trying to walk up to them and to a light attack before they recover but it comes out like a normal attack.

You have to wait like half a second. It's really weird since all you want to do is KILL KILL KILL but you really have to wait a bit before you can do it. The guard break state lasts quite a while, don't worry.

Remember that you can only guard break enemies holding their shields up. There aren't that many enemies that are guard breakable, only humanoids with shields.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Minorkos posted:

Adaptability isn't really the thing that scales, agility is. You'll want around 95-99 agility to dodge stuff reliably.

I guess you can also dump adaptability altogether, and just not roll, but there are some enemies and bosses in the late game that will murder you pretty bad if you don't know how to roll.

If you didn't know already, remember that it's better to roll through an attack, not away from it.

Ah. Is there a cutoff point for agility then?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

So instead of gitting gud there is a stat that makes rolling easier? Casual souls indeed.

Cabadillo
Jan 1, 2004

Adorable and Nutritious

Baron O Beefdip posted:

How long does it usually take to get summoned for bellbroing? I've been waiting a good 15 minutes now with nothing. I just want titanite chunks :(

I find that it takes a while if you do it as soon as you're able to enter the covenant; people are a little skittish about attacking a place where you have to fight two black phantoms, a bunch of evil midgets, and six gargoyles so they come back later when their Soul Total is a little higher.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

neetengie posted:

"I enjoy using the greatsword because I can SLAM FUCKERS INTO THE GROUND WITH IT!" -Guts cosplayer

This was basically me my first playthrough :v: except I also had a sword + shield for some fights
Seriously I love using ultra greatswords even if I'm not good with them at all in pvp.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Artificer posted:

Ah. Is there a cutoff point for agility then?

It's kind of a mystery. Going from 85 to 99-ish is huge and you will definitely notice it. Going from 99 and up, apparently not so much. Remember that you don't even need any extra frames once you can reliably roll through attacks. Raise it to like 90 at first, then see how much more you need by just playing the game.

White Phosphorus posted:

So instead of gitting gud there is a stat that makes rolling easier? Casual souls indeed.

The roll is really bad until you get enough agility. Like, not really even worth using as a defensive option except as a last resort since it's so unreliable.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 29, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

White Phosphorus posted:

It's more that it increases the number of iframes and speeds up other things like item use in combat, where a split second could really count. You can dodge things without leveling adaptability, but you have to be super-precise about timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Cabadillo posted:

I find that it takes a while if you do it as soon as you're able to enter the covenant; people are a little skittish about attacking a place where you have to fight two black phantoms, a bunch of evil midgets, and six gargoyles so they come back later when their Soul Total is a little higher.

Well, that's not it because I have 1.3mil soul total right now :shepface:.