Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Basically, rhino, nova, nekros (purely for farming, but farming is a large part of this game) and vauban are all you ever really need. Most other frames have some use and can even be better than those 4 in some niche circumstances, but with those 4 you can do any content in the game. Past that, try out everything and specialize in what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ice Fist posted:

Valkyr is 100% top tier now considering she is invincible and does absurd melee damage with the right melee weapon equipped - not to mention she has finally been singled out for an overhaul. I'm probably splitting hairs with this whole 'top tier nonsense', but when a frame utterly trivializes the hardest content in the game they are top tier and Valkyr can accomplish that with ease.

Yeah I think they're going to set things up so that Hysteria's animations don't suck rear end.

And yeah frame slots are pretty easy to get, throw like $5-10 at the game when you see a 50 or 75% discount on plat pop up as your login reward. Or sell some prime bits/rare mods if you feel like waiting around in trade chat for a while. Also frame/weapon slots are the very best thing to spend your beginning 50 plat on.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I think they're going to set things up so that Hysteria's animations don't suck rear end.

And yeah frame slots are pretty easy to get, throw like $5-10 at the game when you see a 50 or 75% discount on plat pop up as your login reward. Or sell some prime bits/rare mods if you feel like waiting around in trade chat for a while. Also frame/weapon slots are the very best thing to spend your beginning 50 plat on.

I think you mean a clan emblem. :colbert:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anticheese posted:

I think you mean a clan emblem. :colbert:

Yeah you can get our swag as gently caress Psylotus on your shoulder for 30 plat as well.

Objectivist Rapist
Mar 25, 2007

Rape is a construct
and I'm an engineer

Shugojin posted:

Yeah you can get our swag as gently caress Psylotus on your shoulder for 30 plat as well.

This is the correct choice.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

ullerrm posted:

Oberon is fantastic, but it's a fairly advanced frame, and it's really meant for working in groups; it will be an exercise in pain to level him solo or with pubbies. (Also, an Equilibrium mod is near mandatory for him.) He has a lot of group-specific and scenario-specific abilities -- area denial, healing, pbaoe -- and you may not be comfortable with that if the game is still new to you.

ALL of Oberon's abilities are worse versions of other frame's abilities. Reckoning is fun but way less effective than Miasma, Hallowed Ground doesn't do remotely enough damage and is too small and has zero proc and also doesn't have any CC at all AND it has a hilarious amount of lag time when you make it really huge, Renewal is just just terrible because it doesn't heal enough fast enough and doesn't work when you're at full hp, and Smite uses the targeting system and as such is awful.

he's not an "advanced" frame, unless you mean you need a shitload of rare mods to make him useful at all. He's terrible.

Reckoning is still fun.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

Then don't bitch about people leaving you hanging when you want to be a unique snowflake and go exploring or some dumb poo poo. Most people run the bare minimum required to get endgame mission reward, because it's efficient. Instead of telling everyone that you're going to make them run the clock down at extraction "upfront", only invite people who wants to explore, same as you are. Chances are, you'll be waiting a very long time in alliance chat to get that kind of group going.

I have over 8 thousand mods in my inventory. Waiting 2-4 minutes to pick up 2 more is absolutely positively not worth it.

It's worth it to me when I can get guardian, sanctuary, hell's chamber and shotgun spazz in a couple of runs. All of which I can sell for 10-20 plat a piece. Considering PS4 hasn't gotten a sale on plat since the Cicero crisis (which was a paltry 20% off anyways), finding a way to get plat without outright buying it is nice.

I also play on PS4 so the number of available goons to play with is smaller than the PC clan. There's about 50 of us overall and generally only 4-8 active people at a time, and when we run tower missions we always go for the parkour rooms. So I guess I'm just a bit spoiled and expect the same of pubbies :shobon:

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Shugojin posted:

drat I really want that, such an fantastic emblem. Whoever did it needs more high fives.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

WeaponBoy posted:

Are you kidding? Of course we do. They will be an utterly broken loving mess for at least a solid two weeks and it will be glorious. "My dog is stuck in the wall." "My Dog is stuck in another dog." "My dog broke...Warframe." "Dogs have been temporarily removed. Hotfix coming soon."

But think of the incredible broken fun that could come from having Moa pets.

You absolutely know that riding them would be part one of our demands, and there is no way they wouldn't gently caress that up.

Riding Gary while dual-wielding Vastos? This idea sells itself, and I won't hear anything to the contrary.:colbert:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

smelly cabin filter posted:

I dunno if its region specific but i've never realy had many problems with pubbies. Apart from getting lumped with people using starter gear on systems they shouldnt be able to access, most people seem to know what to do. Usualy the stalker gets his poo poo pushed in pretty quickly. The other three guys I think i've only had them spawn twice ever because I got bored with doing the same mission 5 times in a row for invasions.

Although I seem to get matched with lots of russian players wierdly enough.

Yeah, the vast majority of my missions have been complete non-events with pubbies being silent meatshields. Sure there have been a handful of really bad ones, but that just meant I had to actually pay attention for five minutes and solo the thing. Always keeping one pimped weapon in my equipment and never taking a support frame into nightmares helps too.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, one pubbie even gave me loving Berserker free of charge. Was farming specters and mentioned how I was just in it for berserker and he said he had a spare he could give me. I gave him a spare rare stance mod just so the deal wasn't so one-sided, but that was still really awesome of him.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

Yeah, one pubbie even gave me loving Berserker free of charge. Was farming specters and mentioned how I was just in it for berserker and he said he had a spare he could give me. I gave him a spare rare stance mod just so the deal wasn't so one-sided, but that was still really awesome of him.

I've had the same thing happen when I was looking for a Natural Talent. I gave him a Sure Footed that he didn't need or want :v:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I haven't played since melee 2.0 landed. Did stances actually make the poo poo melee weapons viable? How about pure melee builds?

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Chocobo posted:

I haven't played since melee 2.0 landed. Did stances actually make the poo poo melee weapons viable? How about pure melee builds?

Get the Dragon Nikana (TRUE HANZO STEEL), mod it out for max attack damage and cut everything apart with it. You don't even need a single forma to max it out if you happen on one of the stances.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Chocobo posted:

Stances don't really improve anything besides getting you extra mod points. They may have attacks with special properties but that isn't communicated to the player in any way. The moves themselves seems to have been assigned mostly at random; mobility attacks show up at the end of long combos (yeah, I'll swing wildly for three seconds to get a lunge), combos will alternate between wide attacks and narrow attacks without any apparent purpose, and the basic alternate attacks (i.e., wall, slide, and jump attacks) aren't meaningfully changed, despite stances assigning them fancy names. Some of the stances I've used have been actively harmful, their movesets are so bad.

But all melee weapons had their damage retuned, which resulted in a damage increase across the board. In addition, while your melee is equipped, successive hits build a combo counter which gives a melee damage boost (150% at 5 hits, 200% at 15, 250% at 45, etc.), and weapons can be "channeled" (hold LMB by default) which drain 5 energy on successful hits but gives you a 50% damage boost--new channeling mods can reduce (or increase) the energy cost, boost damage further, or add rider effects.

Melee is... viable now. It's not top-tier, kill everything with a Soma DPS, but you can do any content with only a melee weapon.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Male Man posted:

Stances don't really improve anything besides getting you extra mod points.
Actually, some stances have parts of their attacks get a damage multiplier, for some reason. Crimson Dervish(1sword), for example has the first 3 attacks deal lots more damage than just regular swings. Only some stances have that though. I don't think DE put much thought into this.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Also all the old charge damage weapons suffer from low base damage and channel at the same multiplier as any other weapon. So even a single Heat Sword probably out damages the Galatine.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Specto posted:

Actually, some stances have parts of their attacks get a damage multiplier, for some reason. Crimson Dervish(1sword), for example has the first 3 attacks deal lots more damage than just regular swings. Only some stances have that though. I don't think DE put much thought into this.

Another good one is clashing forest, changes the Amphis' standard 2 swing combo into a really quick and damaging 3 swing with mobility on the 3rd swing. With a maxed fury I'm pretty sure just mashing melee is faster than the standard run (not sprinting) with that stance.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I really like the Coiling Viper stance since it lets you roll around the room whipping everything all the time.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Another reason why heavy weapons suck now is that they build combo at such a comparatively slow rate. Get dual swords, dual daggers, or a staff/polearm and go to town.

Pretty much everything Male Man said about stances is true. However, the additional discussion about how some stances are actually good is also true. Swirling Tiger for dual swords/axes is another good one. I don't know if it grants any bonus damage, but it does a million hits in sweeping arcs, and unlike many stances, the combo is both good and so easy to do that you'll do it by accident most of the time.

They went in a completely wrong direction with melee 2.0 with regards to making melee good in this game- ie, it's structured as its own separate thing, with no mind paid to the mobility issues and so on that come with melee in a game with tons of guns. It did make melee usable, though. I don't have many lovely weapons around to test out, but the Zorens are actually good weapons now. So is the Amphis, if you have a Clashing Forest stance.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I sold my Amphis 1 day before melee 2.0 thinking it was a irredeemable pile of poo poo. Is the Dakra Prime good now?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I like my dual cleavers now. That was my highly thought out input on meelee 2.0. Cleavers are probably bad but i'm the idiot who almost potatoed Seer.

By the way, anyone knows what's the chance of getting the Grustrag Three death mark? I do a lot of invasion missions against the grineer, but they don't seem to care.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Does the melee game eventually just boil down to something or other being the 'best' option? Am I going to be shoehorned into using some boring-rear end sword if I want to be effective in combat, even if I'd rather cleave someone with an axe or punch them to death?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You probably already have the mark, it's just a really low chance for them to spawn. Keep doing invasions and they'll show up since people running them usually also have the mark thereby increasing the chance for them to spawn.

I screwed over a friend that just started the game by dragging him through some invasions for the rewards and later when he was playing solo the G3 showed up and murdered him, apparently the game don't really tell you what the inhibitor bolt does? I had to drag him through more stuff to get the mats for the bolt release.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Does the melee game eventually just boil down to something or other being the 'best' option? Am I going to be shoehorned into using some boring-rear end sword if I want to be effective in combat, even if I'd rather cleave someone with an axe or punch them to death?

There are several 'best' options available for melee right now. It's kind of hard to quantify with exactitude because of things like stances, or stuff like dual daggers doing multiple hits per animated strike, which is not automatically factored into DPS figures.

I'm not sure that I understand the question, anyway. If you want to be effective in combat, equip a gun. If you want to cleave people with axes or punch them to death, do so. There are still melee weapons that are objectively bad compared to most others, because that's how DE chooses to structure their lovely progression system, but there are quite a few diverse options for exciting murder on the high end of the melee family.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Sandweed posted:

I sold my Amphis 1 day before melee 2.0 thinking it was a irredeemable pile of poo poo. Is the Dakra Prime good now?

I'd consider remaking it. At rank 10 with the stance (around 20 mod points) I was oneshotting trash mobs in higher tier maps. Now that I have it maxed with a catalyst it's pretty insane.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I have a Orthos Prime, Reaper Prime, Dual Ichors and a Dragon Nikana so I think I'm good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cathair posted:

There are several 'best' options available for melee right now. It's kind of hard to quantify with exactitude because of things like stances, or stuff like dual daggers doing multiple hits per animated strike, which is not automatically factored into DPS figures.

I'm not sure that I understand the question, anyway. If you want to be effective in combat, equip a gun. If you want to cleave people with axes or punch them to death, do so. There are still melee weapons that are objectively bad compared to most others, because that's how DE chooses to structure their lovely progression system, but there are quite a few diverse options for exciting murder on the high end of the melee family.

Mostly I was curious what people would suggest are the 'top-tier' melee weapons, especially ones that are interesting. The said lovely progression system already annoys the hell out of me since I'm probably spoiled from TF2/whatever and expect weapons in a shooter game to be mostly sidegrades instead of weird, pseudo-MMO incremental bonuses that are thrown in whenever DE feels like it. I just don't want to spend a lot of time tuning up a certain weapon only to find that if I did the same thing for something else that's fairly similar I would get like a 75% overall damage boost.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Mostly I was curious what people would suggest are the 'top-tier' melee weapons, especially ones that are interesting.
Dragon Nikana, Orthos Prime, Jat Kittag, Amphis/Bo, Scoliac/Lecta, Dual Zorens/Ichors, and I guess the Reaper Prime if you don't mind the short range.

I don't have all the stance mods yet, so there might be a few others that could potentially qualify (namely Fang Prime).

Really though, if you find something you dig the move set for and it's not completely awful at killing poo poo, it's probably good enough. I've been running around lately leveling a bunch of old previously-lovely melee weapons, and it's not nearly as painful as it used to be. Longswords are actually pretty decent, and even the single daggers aren't completely terrible!

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Let me also say that Tranquil Cleave is definitely one of the actively bad stances. I would actually say that the combo setup is so bad that you are better off just using quick melee, never actually full-on equipping the thing, and ignoring the combo bonus.

It adds these constant, awkward pauses and makes you immobile while executing, whereas the quick melee you can just spam on the go and do the lawnmower thing with even high level infested trash.

Ice Fist posted:

Valkyr is 100% top tier now considering she is invincible and does absurd melee damage with the right melee weapon equipped - not to mention she has finally been singled out for an overhaul. I'm probably splitting hairs with this whole 'top tier nonsense', but when a frame utterly trivializes the hardest content in the game they are top tier and Valkyr can accomplish that with ease.
Trivialize maybe, and if this game consistently had rewarding, difficult content at the end she would be. Problem with Valkyr is that she still can't mass murder fast enough for her to actually do the hardest content that matters right now - i.e. high-end defense and survival.

In defense, she can't kill scattered enemies quickly enough that they don't wear down the objective, and on survival she can't kill tons of poo poo fast enough to keep the O2 level up. In another game she might be great but her strengths don't really work well as-is.

I do think she has about 2/3s of a great toolkit though, and I'm hoping DE doesn't screw her overhaul uuuuhahahaha

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 29, 2014

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What about the new nikana stance?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Every time. Every loving time the Three Stooges show up I'm leveling some new frame in pubbie hell.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Coldbird posted:

Trivialize maybe, and if this game consistently had rewarding, difficult content at the end she would be. Problem with Valkyr is that she still can't mass murder fast enough for her to actually do the hardest content that matters right now - i.e. high-end defense and survival.

She can absolutely murder high tier tower gunners extremely fast, which are kind of the only enemy that matters in that area.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Ice Fist posted:

She can absolutely murder high tier tower gunners extremely fast, which are kind of the only enemy that matters in that area.

Except you don't just need to kill those, you have to chase down every regular clown and crewman, every drone, etc., I foot. They're all spread out behind cover, they all have the same O2 drop chance, and you need to off them all much faster than it would take to run them all down. Valkyr is viable but not really top tier, until they put in a fast and accurate way to close to melee range with several opponents in a row... which they more or less need to do anyway.

I'd actually consider inflated-level infested and grineer to be more dangerous than void stuff. They seemingly went out of their way to copy the least threatening members of each faction with void content. Disrupt ancients are much scarier than heal ancients, napalms, seekers, and scorpions are much worse than heavy gunners,

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Personally, I found it to be much worse than Tranquil Cleave. Awkward hitboxes, and goofy animations.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Sandweed posted:

The combos are easier to perform, but they are all essentially the same, for whatever reason.

Other than that, I found it worse than the old one.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Coldbird posted:

They seemingly went out of their way to copy the least threatening members of each faction with void content.

I really hope whatever event they do this summer includes a Void overhaul. The tileset and the enemies just feel so bland and boring compared to the new stuff we got. Especially the lazy as gently caress orokin corpus guys having their helmets pop off to reveal another helmet.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Coldbird posted:

Except you don't just need to kill those, you have to chase down every regular clown and crewman, every drone, etc., I foot. They're all spread out behind cover, they all have the same O2 drop chance, and you need to off them all much faster than it would take to run them all down. Valkyr is viable but not really top tier, until they put in a fast and accurate way to close to melee range with several opponents in a row... which they more or less need to do anyway.

I'd actually consider inflated-level infested and grineer to be more dangerous than void stuff. They seemingly went out of their way to copy the least threatening members of each faction with void content. Disrupt ancients are much scarier than heal ancients, napalms, seekers, and scorpions are much worse than heavy gunners,

Like I said I think it's splitting hairs. Not every frame can claim to be invincible and have an ability that allows them to poo poo out massive amounts of single target damage regardless of whether or not she needs to be at point blank range. In fact, that's why she's fun. So much time is spent talking about if someone is TOP TIER. Like it even matters. She is hands down an amazing frame and there is no reason for anybody to not get her. The only question someone needs to answer when considering whether or not to get Valkry is 'do I want to maul bad guys with my bare hands while healing myself?'

If yes, then get Valkyr. If not, then don't.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Last night I was running the invasion with a Forma BP reward as Valkyr, and I noticed that a lot of the time my shield just wasn't recharging, even when I wasn't getting damaged for a while. Why would this have been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
The greatest drawback of Valkyr's ultimate in late survival waves is that she isn't able to kill all the guys shooting her fast enough to be safe once her ability expires. That is quite an issue once the jig is up, so to say.

Her bane are the minigun floating drones she can't reach with her fists.

All that storm of lasers translate in severe damage stacked across the duration of her hysteria. If they do not somehow die once the ultimate expires, you are in trouble. Unless, of course, you get the gently caress out, which also becomes a lot more difficult, as mobs get a whole lot thicker by this point.

I am not saying she isn't nice to play. I find her effectiveness dubious against ranged/flying units or those machine gunners with knock back, as found in towers. Nevertheless, she is great against melee, non-flying units, such as the infested, as found in derelicts.

In my opinion, all frames should be highly specialized*, and none should be the jack of all trades, capable of fighting efficiently every unit type and every faction, as it is the case with some frames.

* Valkyr is good vs melee units, Mag and Saryn are good vs Corpus, Frost is good (on paper) vs Grineer, Ember is good vs infested, et cetera, Banshee could be great vs ranged units, but 3 of her abilities work well vs melee.

Rhino, Nova, Trinity, Loki are good vs anything.

I love cats fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 29, 2014