Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I love watching Jones fights. You'll either see that amazing moment where he finally gets dethroned and has a hilarious meltdown afterwards, or you'll (much, much more likely) see him beat the poo poo out of people in new and interesting ways. It's win/win.

We didn't really see either against Gus. He won, but it was close and the only oddball techniques he used were ones he had already used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the jones eye poke thing isn't new business, and its a good tactic because the refs let you do it, except whoever the ref was against gus who threatened to take a point away and jon stopped and lost some rounds. unfortunately, he is nowhere near as likable as jakey jake so no one will ever forgive him for his smart fighting

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It seemed to me that Jones was trying to use it to disrupt Glovers vision, if he was really trying to keep him off with the threat of an eyepoke he wouldn't have rested his hand on his head so often. Either way he really does need to get in trouble for it, no matter what he's trying to do he ends up in way too many exchanges where he's just running his fingers down an opponents face.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

All it needed to get all the different guillotine boxes ticked off was a twister.

I can't remember what fight it was from Saturday but I could have sworn someone started moving into the twister position

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Triticum Guzzler posted:

that was one of his cool gimmick moves against overmatched thais, the other was bruce lee style leaping side kicks directly to the face, the good poo poo

Maybe i should take this to the K-1 thread but i would love to see an effort-post on this guy just off this sentence and that gif.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?

origami posted:

I can't remember what fight it was from Saturday but I could have sworn someone started moving into the twister position

Yeah, during the Fili/Holloway fight we got the glorious thing that was Joe Rogan screaming to the incomprehension of thousands of people "He's going for the Crotch Ripper. This is The Truck!"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i missed fili holloway but maybe i need to go back and watch it now

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Sprecherscrow posted:

All it needed to get all the different guillotine boxes ticked off was a twister.

a twister is a neck crank, and even if it was choke would be closer to a RNC than a guillotine.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

david carmichael posted:

I was expecting more out of "Touchy" Fili, after the hype and his TAM pedigree... plus I he has a slick haircut and plugs so i have to root for him. But it was a fun fight. Especially this specific grappling exchange.

I feel like maybe he wasn't used to not being the much bigger man in the cage as he is pretty large for FW but Holloway is as well. Still looking forward to seeing where his career goes.

While on the subject of TAM, what kind of success do you guys think the new Team Bang will do out in Colorado? You figure after the success that TAM had he's have people flocking to his new gym for training.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?

david carmichael posted:

Also worth it for the slow motion highlight of Fili's taped up Dumbo ears getting blown backwards independently from the rest of his head with a jab.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Joe Rogan's Ill Fitting Suit Emporium

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Pwny_Xpress posted:

a twister is a neck crank, and even if it was choke would be closer to a RNC than a guillotine.

A twister is sometimes known as a "wrestler's guillotine". Guillotine was always it's name in folkstyle wrestling where it works as a pinning combination (the opponent puts his shoulders on the mat to relieve the pain effectively). The name "twister" was coined by one of the Machados (I think Rigan but possibly Jean Jacques) when they saw Bravo using it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pwny_Xpress posted:

There's so many cool subs out there, and there's nothing I love more than when the fighter knows it's coming and is helpless to stop it. To wit, TKZ vs Garcia

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Joe Rogan's Ill Fitting Suit Emporium

It's loving amazing how much Joe Rogan is starting to look like Dana White these days.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dogbrisket posted:

It's loving amazing how much Joe Rogan is starting to look like Dana White these days.

He'll start doing BALD MAN SHOUT TIMES on his own

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Fat Twitter Man posted:

While Glover was smashing people PSP said he sucked, and after losing five rounds to Jones PSP decided he was good.

The fight earned Glover more respect from me due to the punishment he took yet he never stopped trying to fight. Jacked up shoulder, eyes raked, and he lasted longer then some former champions did.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bluedeanie posted:

JDS only had nice things to say about Cain immediately after the second and third fights too. Give him a month and a Portuguese interview before you start building him up as the most humble Brazilian.

JDS not wanting to have sex with his wife came out pretty quickly after the 2nd fight and after the third fight all I've heard in 6 months is "My god I got my rear end kicked."

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dogbrisket posted:

He is being groomed by the Fertitta brothers to be one of those lookalike stand-ins that dictators use to thwart assassinations due to Dana's increased value to Zuffa. Soon on his podcast he will talk about the special limo he gets to ride in that is always one car length behind Dana's limo and how cool it is of Lorenzo to set this up for him without his asking and we'll all kind of feel sorry for him.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

InfiniteZero posted:

He is being groomed by the Fertitta brothers to be one of those lookalike stand-ins that dictators use to thwart assassinations due to Dana's increased value to Zuffa. Soon on his podcast he will talk about the special limo he gets to ride in that is always one car length behind Dana's limo and how cool it is of Lorenzo to set this up for him without his asking and we'll all kind of feel sorry for him.

One of the rare instances where Joe Rogan Doesn't Question Everything

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

-Atom- posted:

One of the rare instances where Joe Rogan Doesn't Question Everything

Hopefully there is a mini-game in the new EA UFC game where you press button combinations in rapid succession to make Joe Rogan question Mario Yamasaki's calling of your previous fight.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

but Jones' eye poke technique is like 90% of his game away from the fence and the referees just ignore it.

I know I was probably complaining about it more than anybody in the GDT but let's not get carried away. At this point the only person you could make a real argument for being better than Jones is Aldo*, because Jones's overall game is almost peerless. He's great from the outside, he's great in the clinch, he's great at wrestling, Cain might be the only guy in the sport who has scarier gnp, and Jones has neat submissions as well. The only place he's at all weak is in boxing range, and one of the ways he covers that is by threatening the eye poke. If he wasn't doing it he'd look more human, but there are other ways to paper over a weakness and he'd still be winning dominantly most of the time.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It seemed to me that Jones was trying to use it to disrupt Glovers vision, if he was really trying to keep him off with the threat of an eyepoke he wouldn't have rested his hand on his head so often. Either way he really does need to get in trouble for it, no matter what he's trying to do he ends up in way too many exchanges where he's just running his fingers down an opponents face.

Jones doesn't actively initiate the eye poke, he just introduces the threat of it. He's not "trying" to poke the eyes, he just fully extends his lead hand with his fingers splayed at eye level, and if you want to punch him it's on you. He has a bad habit of advancing and retreating in straight lines instead of cutting angles, which is poor boxing form and should make him vulnerable, but nobody can actually punish him for it (apart from Gus) because of that tactic. There was a moment early in the fight, which I remarked on in the GDT, where Glover successfully backed Jones up to the fence and chased him with big punches as Jones circled out, but he couldn't get in range to land anything useful because Jones's hand was in his eyes.

* Barao and Cain are both great but I don't know about their strength of schedule, and I'd like to see Weidman defend his title from a couple more guys before I say he's better than Jones even if I think he might be

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hes not poking the eyes, hes making it hard for them to see by sticking his fingers in their eyes, its an important distinction

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yo count, you asked a few pages back where I saw Mike Goldberg getting pissed about people making fun of him over his on-air gaffes and it's at the end of the youtube compilation of his fuckups I was replying to.

Edit: Good card if you like cool guillotines too. Fuckin' Joe Benavidez forcing Tim Elliot to tap out with his feet, Miller putting a guy cross-eyed and celebrating under his limp body hahahaa.

Thanks, I missed it somehow before. Pretty funny stuff. My favorite was only partially quoted there, where he mistakes Japanese for "Portugesa". Rogan then mentions "You should know that, your wife is Japanese". Goldie replies "You, are... correct" in his overly enunciated way.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

that was one of his cool gimmick moves against overmatched thais, the other was bruce lee style leaping side kicks directly to the face, the good poo poo

I've long fantasized about a leaping side kick, if you have any source for this I'd be very happy.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Count Roland posted:

I've long fantasized about a leaping side kick, if you have any source for this I'd be very happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLCt9gtVXFE

edit: it's worth mentioning that a lot of them look like works because they are

Triticum Guzzler fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 29, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
There is a great moment in the Gus fight when Jones tries his big brother hand on the forehead move and Gus just throws a combination and hits him anyway.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't get to see the fight did Joe Rogan go nuts the entire time about fingerless gloves

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
(These non-UFC flying knees could probably go in that MMA media thread thing Yuriy made that nobody cares about, but whatever)

I just wanted to add Patricky Freire's flying knee on Toby Imada just for Imada's immediate "hurrrgh" reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogQhql41AY

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Well ya learn something new...

I'd always thought of the Twister being a spinal lock. I watched Eddie's DVD years ago, and my overriding memory is of seeing the torso going one way and the legs going the other. This thread made me look into it, and it really attacks the neck/cervical spine primarily.

Here's a cool wrasslin video showing how they like to catch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNePwLHMQN0

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I didn't get to see the fight did Joe Rogan go nuts the entire time about fingerless gloves

Not really, he was actually focusing more on Jones needing to stop extending his open hand so much/the referees needing to make good on their promises to penalize him for it.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

After watching all his fights in progression (as I'm sure you are about to do), do you think he's gotten a lot better or just been given cool matchups where he can showcase his toughness or what?

After finishing watching all his UFC fights, I don't think his current win streak is because of a big jump in skill.

His main problem is always his jiu jitsu, and his second biggest problem is he really doesn't have much defense. From the beginning his jiu jistu loses him rounds, like the first to Kim, and fights. He wasn't likely at all to beat Lytle or Big Dog, but they both beat him by hitting him because he doesn't protect himself at all, then tapping him out. Then Brian Foster did the same thing right afterwards. Brown looked like dogshit against Foster, and then against John Howard right after that. I was pumped for Brown v Howard but while I was watching it I remembered seeing it the first time because I talked up Howard to my dad and Howard put on an performance that honestly was sort of pathetic for a UFC fighter. Brown hurt him early in the first, and he just tried to wrestle badly while gassed for the rest of the fight. And the lovely thing was Brown looked almost as bad. Brown seriously looked bad in a lot of UFC fights. But yeah every single loss can be attributed to his jiu jitsu being too bad to really get off his back or do anything or defend a submission, or him having his hands not guarding his head at all. Both, in the instance of his two best opponents, Lytle and Big Dog.

Around the time of Bacynski fight he started holding his hands up higher and doing a better job at protecting himself, but even though he's shored up his defense enough and was good enough on the attack to strike fairly evenly with Bacynski, he still got tapped out sticking his head into a guillotine. But then since that fight he's kind of reverted to holding his hands lower.

I really don't think he's improved that much. He's shored up his grappling a bit it seems like, but then again how good are Stephen Wonderboy Thompson and Mike Swick circa 2012, really? Swick was just a name out there. He looked terrible. And the sad thing is, it was enough to keep Brown on his back for a lot of the round. Between the very beginning of his career and the Big Dog fight he definitely hot some ability to stand up with the fence and defend takedowns generally, but not much since then. Honestly his best performance might have been in the Kim fight, because he managed to not get tapped after royally loving up and giving away his back, and actually won a round by being and top GnPing in the second.

He definitely has his strengths as a fighter, all on offense. He's legitimately good at his only goal, just trying to hurt guys. But guys like Bacynski or Lytle who with good offense, are just as tough and also defend themselves, are basically going to make him look bad every time. But I think he's been basically the same fighter for a long time. Although for a couple fights he actually held his guard up. But he didn't against Mein. He didn't show Mein any respect at all, and ended up getting dropped by a body shot, but his guard was good enough so he didn't get nailed by a huge punch and tapped like he did those other times. Wonderboy hurt him going to the body, too, with a spinning back kick. He went from full power to completely gassed. But he came back to kick his rear end which was cool.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 29, 2014

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bundt Cake posted:

He definitely has his strengths as a fighter, all on offense. He's legitimately good at his only goal, just trying to hurt guys. But guys like Bacynski or Lytle who with good offense, are just as tough and also defend themselves, are basically going to make him look bad every time. But I think he's been basically the same fighter for a long time. Although for a couple fights he actually held his guard up. But he didn't against Mein. He didn't show Mein any respect at all, and ended up getting dropped by a body shot, but his guard was good enough so he didn't get nailed by a huge punch and tapped like he did those other times. Wonderboy hurt him going to the body, too, with a spinning back kick. He went from full power to completely gassed. But he came back to kick his rear end which was cool.

You know, this made me realize that he really does have the perfect style for putting on exciting fights because he is all offense, no defense, and tough as gently caress. This is basically the formula for being crowd favorite.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So you think Silva is a bad style matchup for him? I sort of think that if Silva can weather the storm (which he's never really had to do before) he's got a pretty good chance.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Not especially. Silva seems like hes better at wrestling and jiu jitsu, but he wants to strike always. He keeps his hands real low like Brown so Browns definitely going to hit him. Plus I dunno I'd be more concerned with Erick holding up in the second half of the fight than surviving the first.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Silva doesn't seem to have a good gas tank plus he's probably got that Brazilian heart thing going on, so I could see him folding if Brown starts lacing him up.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Im placing my hope in a junkie who od'd once and you can't stop me.

I like watching him hurt people ok.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
50:44 Let it go to the judges not, lest ye be judged.

50:45 For with what judgment ye judge , ye shall be judged : and with what measure ye mete , it shall be measured to you again.

50:46 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the finger that is in thine own eye?

50:47 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me put the lights out of thine eyes; and, behold , a finger is in thine own eye?

50:48 Yon fight is brought to thee by Bud Light - the difference doth be drinkability.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
amen

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yonder nuts of corn, truly art they corn to core.

Bones posted a picture of Chuck Liddell on Instagram with the caption:

Herb posted:

Talking all that trash before the fight.. you mad bro?
Because everyone loves a sore winner poking fun at a legend of the sport.

http://instagram.com/p/nWZZ3tsDPA/

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Aurain posted:

Yonder nuts of corn, truly art they corn to core.

Bones posted a picture of Chuck Liddell on Instagram with the caption:

Because everyone loves a sore winner poking fun at a legend of the sport.

http://instagram.com/p/nWZZ3tsDPA/

You don't understand, since Bones is the champion, everyone is supposed to be respectful and kind to him. It's not right to say mean things about him, that's like betraying everything that the championship belt stands for. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LobsterMobster posted:

You don't understand, since Bones is the champion, everyone is supposed to be respectful and kind to him. It's not right to say mean things about him, that's like betraying everything that the championship belt stands for. :mad:

Bones needs to pretend he can't speak English and hire Ed Soares if he's ever going to get respect in the UFC.

• Locked thread