Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Can't hurt to start applying now. Worst case they'll tell you they need someone in the more immediate future and to try again later.

For example: for the job I have now, I applied in March, interviewed and got the job in April, then didn't start till June. Hiring processes at big companies take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks for the advice. My main concern was that the internship will be my main selling point, and I don't think I can include it on my resume until I finish it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Phadedsky posted:

Thanks for the advice. My main concern was that the internship will be my main selling point, and I don't think I can include it on my resume until I finish it.

Why not? I don't see how it'd be any different than listing a current job...?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Phadedsky posted:

Sure you can. There's no resume rule list. Experience is experience.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

Thank you again so much! I'll starting sending out some applications next week.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Zzu posted:

I have a Google hangout interview tomorrow for a position in Portland. I currently live in Seattle. Anyone have any type of experience with these as a 1st interview? I'm assuming this is just the 1st interview and they will want to interview me in person. The person I am interviewing with is the general manager of the company so that is kind of cool.

How'd this go for you?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Sorry, realized one of my comments was obscured. See below.

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 29, 2014

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

rt_hat posted:

I was wondering if anyone could offer some critique about my girlfriend's cover letter and resume. She has a degree in Commerce (Marketing) and had been working as a restuarant manager for the past 4 years. She mainly looked after one of three restuarants in the business but she was loosely in charge of the other two locations.

Unfortunately she had an accident that broke her left femur in Fall 2012 and quit her job in Spring 2013 because it was too hard to recover from. She's been unemployed for almost a year now and so far, and hasn't gotten much feedback from interviewers. We've been staring at it for so long and some outside perspective would be great. On the plus side, she's recovered almost completely from her injury.

She wants to get into project management, starting with business analysis.

Here's a cover letter :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y4PQLKzbGJMGVNbzBuNzFzakU/edit?usp=sharing

It feels a bit dense but it's hard to cover everything in such a short amount of space. Would breaking list items out in bullets help ?

And resume :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y4PQLKzbGJY2prYkJrX1B6UHM/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a very basic critique of the first page of the resume. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Could I get a resume critique? This isn't really working for me, I've applied to probably a hundred jobs in the last couple months and I've gotten like I dunno, one phone interview and a couple emails back. I've not had a real, actual sit down interview for a real job. Well, ever.

I don't have a lot of faith in this thing. I'm trying to get any kind of like, entry level IT job that isn't help desk customer service bullshit and pays more than I make now (30k/yr) or get into Technical Writing maybe, if I could finish any sort of goddamn portfolio.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/429295/SA%20RESUME.docx

Please tear it apart and make me cry.

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008

devoir posted:

How'd this go for you?

It was an interesting experience and it would be nice to have other opinions.

So we talked for about 30 minutes. She only asked me one question and it kind of just turned into a conversation. She asked me for compensation I was expecting and I went against all advice and told her 5k more than what I was making. She told me where the starting wage was and it was actually 10k more than i am currently making which is a great thing.

Since I'll be relocating from Seattle to Portland, she asked when I could be ready and I told her I would just need to give my current employer 2 weeks and she suggested that I come down and meet some of the people that I would be working with if I got the position.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but this is a very good position. I don't know what these signs mean.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Zzu posted:

It was an interesting experience and it would be nice to have other opinions.

So we talked for about 30 minutes. She only asked me one question and it kind of just turned into a conversation. She asked me for compensation I was expecting and I went against all advice and told her 5k more than what I was making. She told me where the starting wage was and it was actually 10k more than i am currently making which is a great thing.

Since I'll be relocating from Seattle to Portland, she asked when I could be ready and I told her I would just need to give my current employer 2 weeks and she suggested that I come down and meet some of the people that I would be working with if I got the position.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but this is a very good position. I don't know what these signs mean.

First off, good to hear that it sounds like it's going well. I haven't been interviewed remotely, but the company I work for considers relocation candidates for pretty much all tiers. (We also have a large office in Portland - if you work in software, PM me if this job doesn't work out.)

It's pretty standard practice to have a few screening calls for all candidates (hiring manager and then a subject matter expert for an initial tech/skill screen), and we do use a Google Hangout, Skype or similar prior to considering flying people out for the much longer (generally a day) in-person interview.

To be honest, everything you've said is an indicator that they're not slavishly beholden to 'standard' interviewing techniques - when I sit on the interviewer side I tend to ask general questions to spark a conversation as it tends to tell you more than simply exchanging rote HR questions and answers.

I'm not quite sure why all advice would tell you not to state a higher wage than what you're making - anyone who's asking that question has been in your shoes and it's demented logic to punish people for being honest about what they're looking for. If you're currently employed you absolutely should want more money in moving on, otherwise you're hamstringing an extremely valuable avenue of wage progression.

One final note: Renting in Portland can be a nightmare depending on your requirements. I don't know how senior this position is, but don't be unafraid of asking about what assistance they might be able to provide in bridging your move from Seattle to Portland, even if it's just giving you flexibility during the work day to view apartments.

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008

devoir posted:

First off, good to hear that it sounds like it's going well. I haven't been interviewed remotely, but the company I work for considers relocation candidates for pretty much all tiers. (We also have a large office in Portland - if you work in software, PM me if this job doesn't work out.)

It's pretty standard practice to have a few screening calls for all candidates (hiring manager and then a subject matter expert for an initial tech/skill screen), and we do use a Google Hangout, Skype or similar prior to considering flying people out for the much longer (generally a day) in-person interview.

To be honest, everything you've said is an indicator that they're not slavishly beholden to 'standard' interviewing techniques - when I sit on the interviewer side I tend to ask general questions to spark a conversation as it tends to tell you more than simply exchanging rote HR questions and answers.

I'm not quite sure why all advice would tell you not to state a higher wage than what you're making - anyone who's asking that question has been in your shoes and it's demented logic to punish people for being honest about what they're looking for. If you're currently employed you absolutely should want more money in moving on, otherwise you're hamstringing an extremely valuable avenue of wage progression.

One final note: Renting in Portland can be a nightmare depending on your requirements. I don't know how senior this position is, but don't be unafraid of asking about what assistance they might be able to provide in bridging your move from Seattle to Portland, even if it's just giving you flexibility during the work day to view apartments.

Thanks for the great advice. I have a place I can stay so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'll look to get into a 1 bedroom quickly. The position is in Southwest Portland which I think is technically considered Beaverton. A quick check on Craiglist is showing 800-1000 for 1 bedrooms. I should be able to swing that no problem.

I feel like the interview went pretty well and I am going down this Friday for an in-person meeting and to meet some of the people that I would be working with if I get the position. Hopefully they just realize I'm an awesome person and they can't wait for me to start.

Edit: Everything I've read on salary negotiation mentions to wait for them to offer first, but I guess I jumped the gun on it. Figured 5k was what I would want to make to jump ship (they offer 100% benefits paid and 3 weeks of vacation) and they offered me 10k more.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Zzu posted:

Thanks for the great advice. I have a place I can stay so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'll look to get into a 1 bedroom quickly. The position is in Southwest Portland which I think is technically considered Beaverton. A quick check on Craiglist is showing 800-1000 for 1 bedrooms. I should be able to swing that no problem.

I feel like the interview went pretty well and I am going down this Friday for an in-person meeting and to meet some of the people that I would be working with if I get the position. Hopefully they just realize I'm an awesome person and they can't wait for me to start.

Edit: Everything I've read on salary negotiation mentions to wait for them to offer first, but I guess I jumped the gun on it. Figured 5k was what I would want to make to jump ship (they offer 100% benefits paid and 3 weeks of vacation) and they offered me 10k more.

Beaverton's a decent area, but try to get to downtown Portland for a walk around if you can manage it. Beaverton as an employer is pretty much dominated by Nike and you can go onto the campus for a walk around if you've got some spare time.

Sounds like you probably have a contact in the general area, so getting from Portland (if you're taking Amtrak from Seattle) shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they're covering the costs of your travel. :) Good luck.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

This may not be the thread for this, but can anyone give me some advice on applying for positions out-of-state before a move? While I realize that for higher ranking positions its a non-issue, I would likely be applying for clerical or administrative positions.

It'd be nice to be able to have interviews set up before actually moving, but I'm worried about HR managers screening me out for currently being a non-resident.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

ForeverSmug posted:

This may not be the thread for this, but can anyone give me some advice on applying for positions out-of-state before a move? While I realize that for higher ranking positions its a non-issue, I would likely be applying for clerical or administrative positions.

It'd be nice to be able to have interviews set up before actually moving, but I'm worried about HR managers screening me out for currently being a non-resident.

From where I sit, you have two options:

a) In your cover letter, clearly state that you are in the process of moving and will be continually available for immediate start/in-person interviews from x date.
b) Don't put your address in your application. People move all the time, so an out of state phone number is no indication that you aren't already living at your destination.

With option 1 you essentially want to give anyone who gives your cover letter a glance the confidence that they aren't going to get a request for relocation assistance from you, and that if they decide to ask you in for an interview that you'll be able to do it and won't be wasting their time. Some HR staff might flag on the fact you don't list an address with option 2, but it may be less of a flag than being obviously from out of state.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Could I get a resume critique? This isn't really working for me, I've applied to probably a hundred jobs in the last couple months and I've gotten like I dunno, one phone interview and a couple emails back. I've not had a real, actual sit down interview for a real job. Well, ever.

I don't have a lot of faith in this thing. I'm trying to get any kind of like, entry level IT job that isn't help desk customer service bullshit and pays more than I make now (30k/yr) or get into Technical Writing maybe, if I could finish any sort of goddamn portfolio.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/429295/SA%20RESUME.docx

Please tear it apart and make me cry.

Here are some suggestions for some very simple things you can do to improve this. It looks like you have some decent experience, but you aren't really showing any of the skills or accomplishments from that experience. Hope this helps!

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

ForeverSmug posted:

Ooh! I'm doing the same thing right now. I actually just got a pretty good thread going about this on a Recruiter group on LinkedIn and several recruiters have weighed in.

A lot have advised to make it very explicit in your resume/cover letter that you will be relocating yourself, and if possible to state when you will be there (if not moving then at least say when you will be in town for interviews). If you want, PM me and I'll link you the thread! (I don't want my LinkedIn on here)

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:
I'm applying for a position that simply asks for a cover letter and a resume to be dropped off. No references are requested at this time, but should I put them in my resume anyway? The references would be from a previous position that's almost identical to the one I'm applying for now, so they would be fairly applicable.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

They will ask for references after the interview if they want them, no need to give them that now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Don't give out references until they're requested, don't put them on your resume, don't put "references available upon request" on your résumé.

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008

devoir posted:

Beaverton's a decent area, but try to get to downtown Portland for a walk around if you can manage it. Beaverton as an employer is pretty much dominated by Nike and you can go onto the campus for a walk around if you've got some spare time.

Sounds like you probably have a contact in the general area, so getting from Portland (if you're taking Amtrak from Seattle) shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they're covering the costs of your travel. :) Good luck.

Yeah, I'm actually driving down tomorrow and will be staying at a friends house. Meet with them on Friday at 2pm and then drive back home.

I take it as a good sign that they want me to meet people, but that could be what they do with everyone so I'm not going into thinking I have the job.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Hey folks, I'm looking at possible new work so I figured I'd spruce up my resume. Does anyone mind taking a look?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/451716/Resume-redacted.pdf

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking at possible new work so I figured I'd spruce up my resume. Does anyone mind taking a look?

I don't have a ton of constructive feedback, but would you mind PMing me that with the redacted information removed, if you catch my drift?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm gonna assume that with the redacted information included you fill up both pages? If not, you need to cut.

Your summary is too "tell-y". This is super common, but going on about how wonderful you are at technical writing, data cleaning, etc. doesn't really do anything to make me believe that's true. You don't want to just say "I'm good at this and this and this and this", you want to tailor that to the job for which you are applying. Your current summary is all over the map and honestly covers too many areas to make me believe you're really an expert in any of them. I also am not a fan at all of the 3rd-person style unless you are a senior executive and it sounds like a PR person wrote it; yours is neither of those. That is personal preference, though.

You also don't need to include "___ server" or "___ ecosystem" -- we know what you mean when you say Apache or Python. I would include the languages you used in each of your projects - you did for one of them then don't for the others which sets off some red flags IMO.

You don't need to include your GPA. I also think that some of the accomplishments are kind of vague. "Improve the billing process" (how?), "wrote sections of the final report" (which sections?), etc. Are bullet points 1 and 3 in your first job the same project? That's the impression I'm getting from reading them and I'm mildly annoyed if it is and you split it into 2 things.

I think you have a lot of solid info here and I wouldn't reject you, but addressing these things will move you to the top of the pile.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bisty Q. posted:

I'm gonna assume that with the redacted information included you fill up both pages? If not, you need to cut.

Your summary is too "tell-y". This is super common, but going on about how wonderful you are at technical writing, data cleaning, etc. doesn't really do anything to make me believe that's true. You don't want to just say "I'm good at this and this and this and this", you want to tailor that to the job for which you are applying. Your current summary is all over the map and honestly covers too many areas to make me believe you're really an expert in any of them. I also am not a fan at all of the 3rd-person style unless you are a senior executive and it sounds like a PR person wrote it; yours is neither of those. That is personal preference, though.

You also don't need to include "___ server" or "___ ecosystem" -- we know what you mean when you say Apache or Python. I would include the languages you used in each of your projects - you did for one of them then don't for the others which sets off some red flags IMO.

You don't need to include your GPA. I also think that some of the accomplishments are kind of vague. "Improve the billing process" (how?), "wrote sections of the final report" (which sections?), etc. Are bullet points 1 and 3 in your first job the same project? That's the impression I'm getting from reading them and I'm mildly annoyed if it is and you split it into 2 things.

I think you have a lot of solid info here and I wouldn't reject you, but addressing these things will move you to the top of the pile.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I have three questions for you:

1. Is there a "right way" to do a summary? Most of what I read says that it should be a high level view of the type of work you've done, but other stuff has said that you shouldn't include it at all.

2. I'm not sure how to handle bullets 1 and 3 from my first job. The macros that I wrote (bullet 3) ended up in the company repo and were used later on the project in bullet 1 but also in a number of other projects that I had nothing to do with. To me that's still two separate items as one speaks to a specific task (which also includes a management component) and the other speaks to my SAS skills generally.

3. The redacted stuff doesn't end up filling both pages but I'm kind of at a loss for what to cut. I think my work as a Web Developer does the job of showcasing my skills across different project types. I was thinking I might be able to cut bullet 2 of my RA/AA position. Maybe slim down the summary? Thoughts?

Again, thank you for your feedback, it's tremendously helpful.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ok I'm working on my resume (really appreciate the feedback DustingDuvet, you're awesome and I wish I could afford to buy your services) and I made some changes. I was way undervaluing my experience at my current job, and completely left out that I got a promotion in January, cause I keep downplaying it as anything important to myself since I don't really feel like I do anything very complicated and don't get paid more. But gently caress doin that anymore.

Also is there any way I can mention I started out as a contractor but was hired in as a full employee after only 5 months, which is about the shortest amount of time they'll go before my company considers transitioning people into full employment?

I also decided to mention who I was actually doing support for, since they were completely separate fortune 500 companies and it's not really like, secret information or anything.

I'm kind of hitting a problem here though, when I'm listing all the poo poo I have experience doing it's kind of getting redundant cause I'm mentioning the same things more than once. So what then do I put in skills since it's all in the job description here? How do I differentiate and not make this thing too long by repeating the same info over and over?

I'm not sure how to add the fact that I'm currently responsible for resolving issues that level one agents were unable to fix, mostly because they hosed up something while they were working. I have to follow up with a lot of very frustrated users. Or that I am ADP2 certified by the govt (it's like a really low-level clearance cause the company I service deals with military people). Oh, and should I put the cert ID comptia gave me that lets people verify I actually earned it on there somewhere or not?

And there's probably more poo poo I support but this is the major stuff, I think.

WIP RESUME posted:

VIP Support Representative / Subject Matter Expert
MY COMPANY
January 2013 – Present
CITY, STATE

• Performed remote technical and concierge support for executive and VIP contacts from OTHER COMPANY.
• Responsible for subject matter expertise on all applications and tools help desk supports, including Active Directory, BMC Remedy, Juniper Networks VPN Client, Marimba Tuner Administrator, Microsoft Word, Excel, Exchange, Outlook, SharePoint, Windows XP, Windows 7, and client intranet sites.
• Trained 24 help desk agents on customer service and technical skills for new remote help desk set up to service OTHER COMPANY.

Technical Solutions Representative
MY COMPANY
August 2012 – January 2013
CITY, STATE

• Performed remote technical support for an average of 600 phone contacts per month from ANOTHER COMPANY employees.
• Resolved 95% of technical support calls on first contact.
• Wrote or revised over 200 knowledge base articles on Active Directory, Avaya VPN Client, Novell, Marimba Tuner Administrator, Microsoft products, and client intranet sites.
• Fully trained five help desk agents on customer service skills in addition to technical training on tools listed above.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 1, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I have three questions for you:

1. Is there a "right way" to do a summary? Most of what I read says that it should be a high level view of the type of work you've done, but other stuff has said that you shouldn't include it at all.

2. I'm not sure how to handle bullets 1 and 3 from my first job. The macros that I wrote (bullet 3) ended up in the company repo and were used later on the project in bullet 1 but also in a number of other projects that I had nothing to do with. To me that's still two separate items as one speaks to a specific task (which also includes a management component) and the other speaks to my SAS skills generally.

3. The redacted stuff doesn't end up filling both pages but I'm kind of at a loss for what to cut. I think my work as a Web Developer does the job of showcasing my skills across different project types. I was thinking I might be able to cut bullet 2 of my RA/AA position. Maybe slim down the summary? Thoughts?

Again, thank you for your feedback, it's tremendously helpful.

What you should do with a summary is to stuff it full of keywords related to the job for which you are applying that make the recruiter/hiring manager want to read the rest of your resume. You're in tech so it is somewhat easier to do this, but you'd want something like:

Full-stack web developer comfortable with both Python/WSGI and Scala/Tomcat frameworks. Experience designing and implementing databases in PostgreSQL, leading development teams, documenting requirements, and delivering projects on-time and under budget.

This is easy for people to read and makes someone who is hiring for this imaginary full-stack dev go "THIS PERSON IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED." You'll also note that there's no superlatives, nowhere do you say "excellent in" or "highly skilled with" -- these things should be shown your resume contents, not told in the summary. You don't want anything in there that's unrelated and ideally want it to read like your whole life has naturally lead you to the exact job you're applying for.

For 2, given what you've said, move point 3 under 1. Then you can say "Used this framework in SHORT PROJECT DESCRIPTION to collect external data, SMS, etc. etc. etc. and to create a unique dashboard for this project." I'd also reword point 1 to then say "Created a dashboard-generation framework used for several projects, used by XX users in aggregate."

3: Cut the skills box, then. Ultimately it's keyword filler and you shouldn't need keyword filler on a tech resume. Put the stuff you're most comfortable with and that's most related to the job in the descriptions/bullets for each thing you've done so far and slim it down to one dense, selling page.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

One more question: I've always been told to not include MS Office proficiencies on a resume. Which seems like sound advice, except a lot of the jobs I'm applying for specifically request Excel experience. I've done quite a bit of Excel work in the past - well beyond what most jobs would probably require- so on the one hand I feel it would make sense to list it as a skill, especially for those jobs. On the other hand, I don't want it to seem like it's dumb padding, and it's the one major resume faux pas I've always been warned about.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Excel is different and should be listed separately from Office if you are capable of using it at a reasonably advanced level.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If something is specifically listed in the job posting, you should specifically list it in your resume, ideally up at the top. Even if it's dumb, because the person reading your resume might not be a technical person and might not realize that XYZ certification implies knowledge of X.

I see job postings as checklists; my philosophy is to check them all off in the first half page of the resume.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

ForeverSmug posted:

One more question: I've always been told to not include MS Office proficiencies on a resume. Which seems like sound advice, except a lot of the jobs I'm applying for specifically request Excel experience. I've done quite a bit of Excel work in the past - well beyond what most jobs would probably require- so on the one hand I feel it would make sense to list it as a skill, especially for those jobs. On the other hand, I don't want it to seem like it's dumb padding, and it's the one major resume faux pas I've always been warned about.
Don't do this:
Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint

Instead, as a random example, do this:
Job Title
Dates
-Stuff
-Stuff
-Developed Microsoft Excel tool to automate dynamic structural analysis--tool adopted throughout organization cutting test time 40% and saving $15k

If someone searches a pile of resumes for Excel, both will turn up, but the second one actual conveys useful information. If the job listing highlights Excel proficiency as one of the most desired skills, I'd probably mention Excel in your cover letter and/or Summary of Qualifications section of your resume.

Edit: The point is to show employers you know how to do something rather than just tell them you can do it.

swenblack fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 1, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

swenblack posted:

Don't do this:

-Developed Microsoft Excel tool to automate dynamic structural analysis--tool adopted throughout organization cutting test time 40% and saving $15k

Edit: The point is to show employers you know how to do something rather than just tell them you can do it.

:chord: I like this.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

swenblack posted:

Don't do this:

Job Title
Dates
-Stuff
-Stuff
This is great advice. Almost everybody laundry-lists the Office programs on their resume. That's not exactly a good thing, because it's a waste of space, and most employers will think your full of BS (which most people are). Discussing actual projects you've worked on it's a good way to separate yourself from the "Word, Excel, PowerPoint" nonsense the recruiters are always hearing.

But if you do decide to discuss that awesome Excel project you worked on, be prepared to explain how to did specific functions. If you don't feel like you can explain each step, don't include it on your resume. You'll look foolish during the technical interview.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Since it can't hurt, here's my resume.

I had it reviewed by a career counselor for my department who strongly encouraged the format (Educational experience at the top, classes, research work, then listing the jobs at the end). She said for entry-level jobs, they will be most interested in what I've completed at university. I would appreciate your comments, though.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

the posted:

I had it reviewed by a career counselor for my department who strongly encouraged the format (Educational experience at the top, classes, research work, then listing the jobs at the end). She said for entry-level jobs, they will be most interested in what I've completed at university. I would appreciate your comments, though.

What kind of job are you trying to get?

Also, like most college career counselors, yours is worthless, has probably never had a real job, and should be fired. Do not talk to her again. No employer cares about your classes or your research. For bachelors all they want to know is "completed degree (Y/N)?" and in some cases "what's the degree in?" What they care about is work experience, most importantly FT positions and internships. Yes, even if it's a part time job at Arby's, or even if it was before college.

So I guess what I'm saying is you're going to have to tear it down and start from scratch, and put your actual jobs at the top.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Heh, I sort of disagree. If you only have fast food jobs, and you're applying to a grown up job related to your degree, the degree goes up top. Being able to hold down a job is great, but if someone's looking for a quantitative analyst they don't care how many burgers they can flip in an hour.

Edit: In your case, if you're applying to physics related jobs, the experience goes up front.

Don't include classes or projects unless they show you meet a particular qualification that you don't have otherwise, though. I don't have much experience in one particular area of my industry, but I did my undergrad capstone project on the subject so I included that because it checked off an important need. It came up in interview, and I ended up sending them the executive summary of the project as a writing sample... But this was a report on a subject that they might have ordered a study on, not a twenty page paper on waste management in the Roman Empire. I'd cut back on the python stuff though, seems way too long for what it is.

I also went summary of qualification - education - certification - experience, but that's because I knew the industry well enough to know I would be one of the few people with my qualifications AND a bachelor degree... And the degree was the first requirement on the job posting. If the education is what's gonna make you stand up (it won't be in 90% of cases, bachelor degrees are a dime a dozen) then put it up front. I'd probably put certification last if I did it again.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 1, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bisty Q. posted:

:chord: I like this.

swenblack posted:

Don't do this:

Job Title
Dates
-Stuff
-Stuff

If someone searches a pile of resumes for Excel, both will turn up, but the second one actual conveys useful information. If the job listing highlights Excel proficiency as one of the most desired skills, I'd probably mention Excel in your cover letter and/or Summary of Qualifications section of your resume.

I don't know how to do this on my resume, I don't really know a lot about using Microsoft products and all the other poo poo I list, I just fix problems that make them not work. The only thing I do in active directory is reset passwords.

Part of my problem here is I have a lot of trouble taking what I do and making it sound impressive. I look up how to fix an error, then follow those instructions to fix that error. Often I don't need to look things up anymore because I've fixed the same problem a bunch of times. I'm not doing high-level IT here.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

the posted:

Assuming you're looking for Physics or research jobs, that is a good format. If you are looking for anything more general, you want to give more emphasis to your work experience.

Here's some very basic advice. Hope this helps!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

ForeverSmug posted:

When I did this about two years ago for what were essentially entry-level administrative positions, I just included "I will be relocating to City on Date" and mentioned that I was more than willing to make contact over the phone, through email, or by Skype. Nobody contact me remotely except to set up interviews, but I had one place schedule an interview literally the second day I was in town. Just indicate that you'll be in town from a certain date indefinitely and that you're not expecting relocation assistance and the only logistical issue should be matching up your moving schedule with their hiring schedule.

I wound up bombing that interview because I was still zapped from moving the day before and then confused by trying to find the place in a new town, so I'd recommend putting a few days between the move and any interviews if they'll let you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I made a full-length resume, it would be around 3 pages. Should I do this if I'm primarily applying electronically to jobs?