Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

morestuff posted:

It's called Top Golf. They've got a few locations nationwide.

5 hours from where I live is the closest. Motherfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Simplex posted:

I don't really doubt that a lot of that stuff happens. But I also think that anyone who considers themselves a "bag man" would exaggerate what it is they do and their importance to a program.

Probably. At the same time, the author is saying flat out that he saw/heard phone calls and transactions take place. Plus, at least one of the people he's talking to are saying they DON'T have big bucks or are at least thought not to have that sort of disposable income, because if so they'd be contacted for donations by the university directly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

morestuff posted:

It's called Top Golf. They've got a few locations nationwide.

It is the best and its a shame that they're almost all in Texas. I have to move because they're tearing down my building and one of the places I'm looking at has the plus of being walking distance of the one in VA. This is also a negative because I will spend all my money at Top Golf.

MourningView posted:

goddammit, sash, is there no aspect of your life where you are not as lame as possible

Winning is winning :colbert:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
who even takes a loving pitching wedge to the driving range

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

You can hit a pitching wedge really far if you blade the ball.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Dusseldorf posted:

You can hit a pitching wedge really far if you blade the ball.

you can dunk if you stand on a ladder

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Mob posted:

I came to see what everyone thought of the Bag Man piece on SBNation(I LIKED IT) but surprisingly nobody has posted it yet. I'm sure it was discussed in some NCAA thread somewhere but in case you didn't see it check it out:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Here's my favorite quote:

Steven Godfrey said in the accompanying interview that he watched a transaction go down. That had to be baller as gently caress.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sash! posted:

You are definitely in the target audience of this place:

I can beat people pretty badly because they go for the long drives that get more points, whereas I am reliable enough with a pitching wedge to employ a death by paper cuts strategy.

This looks fun as poo poo.

There's a pitch and putt just off of south congress in Austin that I go to when I'm in town and get super drunk and whack balls around. Pitch and putt is the correct balance between regular golfing and miniature golfing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MourningView posted:

Sometimes you need to work on your short game.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

You are definitely in the target audience of this place:

This is extremely my poo poo. I think if it incorporated fireworks and/or water cannons then I'd just move in with my dad in Alexandria and train full time

MourningView posted:

If it's in the bag of dusty golf clubs it comes with me

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

MourningView posted:

you suck at golf, huh?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

you suck at golf, huh?

Well duh.

The driving range is for bombing poo poo as far as you possibly can, not some lame rear end flop shot garbage.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would argue it is also for trying to hit the high school kid who drives the ball picker cart.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I would argue it is also for trying to hit the high school kid who drives the ball picker cart.

That's exactly right. Its the best of both worlds really, you can work on your aim as well as your long drives all while having juvenile fun like MV wants. Win-win!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Badfinger posted:

Probably. At the same time, the author is saying flat out that he saw/heard phone calls and transactions take place. Plus, at least one of the people he's talking to are saying they DON'T have big bucks or are at least thought not to have that sort of disposable income, because if so they'd be contacted for donations by the university directly.

Most every program probably had done dudes who float around the periphery and give the players a couple hundred here and there our give them old tv's and poo poo like that.

But the suggestion that small fry dudes like that can dry up funding and get coaches fired, and the burner phones tapped phone lines and espionage stuff is where it starts crossing the line into fantasy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doug Glanville talks about being racially profiled in his own driveway.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

This is the driving range thread now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

I read the comments because I hate myself.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I read the comments because I hate myself.
Buster Olney has a lot of sockpuppet accounts at the Atlantic apparently

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.lamag.com/features/2014/4/13/escape-from-cuba-yasiel-puigs-untold-journey-to-the-dodgers/print

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The story up on Deadspin about the art of fight fixing is fantastic.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Darren Rovell apparently got suspended for Twitter for making fun a fat fan:

http://deadspin.com/did-espn-suspend-darren-rovell-from-using-twitter-1565932737

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Funny that he got in trouble for that because that's like not even top ten of the most tone deaf, clueless poo poo he's ever posted

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Blast Fantasto posted:

Darren Rovell apparently got suspended for Twitter for making fun a fat fan:

http://deadspin.com/did-espn-suspend-darren-rovell-from-using-twitter-1565932737

It's the first time Darren Rovell ever tried to make anything more fun, so we've got to give him credit for that.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
E: wrong thread

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Frackie Robinson posted:

The story up on Deadspin about the art of fight fixing is fantastic.

This was an incredible read.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Where did the trend of doing full-page infographic stat things come from? I see this from lots of sports lately, even Euro soccer.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

http://deadspin.com/josh-lueke-is-a...dium=socialflow

A pretty good piece on Deadspin from a woman who was raped about Josh Leuke and why people should continue pointing out that he's a rapist.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

sportsgenius86 posted:

http://deadspin.com/josh-lueke-is-a...dium=socialflow

A pretty good piece on Deadspin from a woman who was raped about Josh Leuke and why people should continue pointing out that he's a rapist.

Theres a comment chain where someone made a joke about how there's always redemption for someone who made a mistake(by being associated with the rangers) and there's a million responses saying OMG U RAPE APOLOGIST. InternetComments.txt

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Theres a comment chain where someone made a joke about how there's always redemption for someone who made a mistake(by being associated with the rangers) and there's a million responses saying OMG U RAPE APOLOGIST. InternetComments.txt
I saw that when Deadspin first put the article up. It was ridiculously funny. You think it's going to stop at some point and someone's going to get the joke, but it just keeps loving going...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Deadspin's comment section went right down the loving tubes as soon as they opened it. Not that it was the greatest thing in the world before but ugh

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Crazy Ted posted:

I saw that when Deadspin first put the article up. It was ridiculously funny. You think it's going to stop at some point and someone's going to get the joke, but it just keeps loving going...

I especially like the people who first commented in a kneejerk reaction, then were told they were being reactionary idiots and responded "well it wasnt funny so there :reject:"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Declan MacManus posted:

Deadspin's comment section went right down the loving tubes as soon as they opened it. Not that it was the greatest thing in the world before but ugh

Deadspin's comments consist of someone trying to make a joke but since it lacks any notion of what we humans call humor it fails. Then someone posts a "GOING TO HELL DURR" comment.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

Deadspin's comments consist of someone trying to make a joke but since it lacks any notion of what we humans call humor it fails. Then someone posts a "GOING TO HELL DURR" comment.
Every once in a blue moon someone posts a comment involving women and because it's all under the Gawker Media umbrella the commentariat from Jezebel ventures on in and hoo boy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

It was pretty bad from the start, and trying to cater to it more made the site a lot worse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gary Smith of Sports Illustrated is apparently retiring. Absolutely fantastic writer, I'd read any SI issue that had a longform piece he had written.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Very glad to see someone beat me to talk about Gary Smith. I always find that not nearly as many people are aware pf him and some of his pieces as there should be. He is an incredible writer, regardless of whether we're talking about just in sports or in general, and in my opinion is completely deserving of the universal praise heaped on him.

If you haven't read any before and are in the mood for a good article, a few of his more popular ones can be found online and some of my favorites are below. They're all fairly lengthy but will stick with you. I really look forward to the tribute SI apparently has planned for Smith tomorrow, and hope it includes online publication of a few more of his old pieces.

As Time Runs Out - about Jim Valvano. A pretty powerful one, also told me a lot more about Valvano and everything surrounding him at NC State and beyond that I didn't know about.

Moment of Truth - about a photo of TCU taken just before the 1957 Cotton Bowl, but obviously that's the simplified version. For some reason the SI article doesn't include the photo, so here it is in case you decide to read this.

Lying in Wait - About George O'Leary's rise and fall through the whole Notre Dame fiasco. If I'm remembering right, this is the last piece that won Smith a National Magazine Award, his record fourth (yes I read his Wikipedia. Which incidentally contains links to many more of his stories).

Higher Education - about the life and death of a coach in Amish country and the impact he had. It's been awhile since I read this one, but I seem to remember it being pretty emotional.

So yea, as a longform writing nut and sports fan I really like Gary Smith and it stinks he's retiring, but he's certainly earned it. I'll have to go back and re-read some more of his old classics now.

EDIT: there's like 6 Gary Smith posts on the first page of this thread alone, with other article links, so I pretty much just told y'all what you probably already know. Still, Gary Smith owns.

warheadr fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 29, 2014

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
I actually have never read any of those, so thanks :) That TCU one is incredible.

I still look at this one, though, as the one that captured my imagination like no other.

The broken bones posted:

(About Gift Ngoepe, the South African kid who the Pirates signed about 7 years ago) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1158635/index.htm

Smith had this unbelievable ability to draw his audience into the scene with him. I remember this one where he turned this ho-hum story about a really great high school basketball coach in a small town that everyone loved and turned it into this beautiful piece of a man who wanted to be the best, wanted his students to be the best people they could be, but kept everyone at arm's distance. I wish I could remember which story that was, it was gorgeous.

Gonna miss him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The broken bones posted:

Smith had this unbelievable ability to draw his audience into the scene with him. I remember this one where he turned this ho-hum story about a really great high school basketball coach in a small town that everyone loved and turned it into this beautiful piece of a man who wanted to be the best, wanted his students to be the best people they could be, but kept everyone at arm's distance. I wish I could remember which story that was, it was gorgeous.

Gonna miss him.

Uh, this one.

warheadr posted:

Higher Education - about the life and death of a coach in Amish country and the impact he had. It's been awhile since I read this one, but I seem to remember it being pretty emotional.

Editing track results yesterday for our local rag, I was reminded of what turned out to be another Smith piece, The Power of One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
gary Smith is possibly the best magazine- first writer in history by acclamation. he is great. speaking of Josh leuke, too, Smith had an article about sexual assault that is great:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008297/1/index.htm