Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've found it, the best helmet!

Farming the whole set is going to be a pain, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Yeah just tested it too and it doesn't increment. No idea how I got that extra 1M SM :psyduck:

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Does anyone else get this irritating control issue, where if you're using a large weapon (great club in my case) and you're locked on to an enemy, if you move the left stick too soon before swinging you'll ignore the lock and flail away in the direction you were pointing? It doesn't seem to apply with smaller weapons, and I have no idea why this issue might even exist.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

immortal flow posted:

Does anyone else get this irritating control issue, where if you're using a large weapon (great club in my case) and you're locked on to an enemy, if you move the left stick too soon before swinging you'll ignore the lock and flail away in the direction you were pointing? It doesn't seem to apply with smaller weapons, and I have no idea why this issue might even exist.

Working as intended.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I think that's a huge part of why Dark Souls 1 co-op and invasions were so cool, also the multiplayer being entirely within the context of your single player experience is pretty interesting and unique.

I'm afraid of voice chat because I don't want dark souls to turn into call of duty :ohdear:

I turned on voice chat for the first time last night, and it was mostly dead silent. I was doing some Smelter/Iron Keep coop for a while, and eventually a host had a second phantom with voice chat.

It was somebody talking with a real slow and slurred voice, and I couldn't make sense about half of it. But from what I could make out, he was complaining to me about my troll build (powerstanced Channeler's Tridents with Aurous armor and Manikin Mask). He was a generic Drangleic armor + fire longsword type of a build. He also had some serious issues with my character name "Cardinal" and kept pronouncing it something like gurl-duh-nur.

I turned off my chat after that. Otherwise the magic will be gone. :geno:

immortal flow posted:

New feature for ultraheavy weapons, supposedly makes them better and easier to use. Drives some people (like me) up the walls.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Ravenfood posted:

If it does add them back to your counter (I couldn't test in the meantime, my souls are sitting in the Belfry :argh:) it either subtracts your total from your SM when you die, or just doesn't re-add them when you pick them up.

Specifically, souls gained from picking up a bloodstain are not added to soul memory. Nothing is ever subtracted so far as I can tell, and losing your bloodstain does just mean you had less souls to spend at whatever SM you're at.

immortal flow posted:

This is intentional, and you can redirect your swing with any weapon by moving the stick before the strike (maybe specifically before the damage part of the animation?) but generally it's only noticeable with heavy weapons because you still have a turn speed and faster attacks don't give you time to reorient.

ReWinter fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Attestant posted:

I turned on voice chat for the first time last night, and it was mostly dead silent. I was doing some Smelter/Iron Keep coop for a while, and eventually a host had a second phantom with voice chat.

It was somebody talking with a real slow and slurred voice, and I couldn't make sense about half of it. But from what I could make out, he was complaining to me about my troll build (powerstanced Channeler's Tridents with Aurous armor and Manikin Mask). He was a generic Drangleic armor + fire longsword type of a build. He also had some serious issues with my character name "Cardinal" and kept pronouncing it something like gurl-duh-nur.

I turned off my chat after that. Otherwise the magic will be gone. :geno:

Oh god that is everything I was afriad of. :stonk:

Yeah I'm just gonna keep it muted...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I managed to get up to Drangleic Castle last night and holy gently caress is that a rad approach. The weird outlines and giant staircase are Castlevania as gently caress and it really sets a cool mood.

...then you get inside and it looks like they completely ran out of time to decorate, texture, or light it at all. So goddamn weird.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Illegal Username posted:

loving gently caress these ruin sentinels are insane and i've already wasted all my consumables and effigies and what do you mean Lost Bastille is not the correct place to go straight after forest of lost giants

this loving game

I feel so bad for people who do not figure out that Jolly Cooperation is the way to restore humanity, not effigies :smith:

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

immortal flow posted:

It happens with smaller weapons too, I do it all the time with the rapier.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pro tip for getting helpful summons: Never summon anyone wearing Drangleic Armor, its the Drake Sword of this game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Pro tip for getting helpful summons: Never summon anyone wearing Drangleic Armor, its the Drake Sword of this game

If by Drake Sword you mean looks swag as hell, yes :colbert:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the way the Alva armor looks.

Also I didn't realize that unequipped items that you put into your weapon slots count towards your load until recently and I was wondering why I was at 85%, but it was because I had a giant sword in weapon slot 3.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Pwnstar posted:

Better than summoning guys dual wielding high end weapons that take out half the bosses health in 3 spells because where is the fun in that?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Reason posted:

I really like the way the Alva armor looks.
Me too, but I've gotten addicted to the Aurous armor. Put on some actual pants and it actually looks not bad. Right now I look like a lichking and its making me fell better every time I die.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If by Drake Sword you mean looks swag as hell, yes :colbert:

You mean looking like a weird fat and caped tube. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Attestant posted:

You mean looking like a weird fat and caped tube. :colbert:

I look like some kind of caped Centurion and it rules. Glory to Rome. :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When it comes to enchanting your weapon, does the staff matter? I have the Sunset Staff for my main hand casting of dark orbs and soul arrows if needed. But I have the poo poo staff in my other hand for my dark weapon mace.

I have a feeling it does but I hate to go shieldless cause im a giant pussy but if I am going to have to do it - so be it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Broken Cog posted:

I've found it, the best helmet!

Farming the whole set is going to be a pain, though.

:frogdowns: desperately needing this helmet - cheers.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
What's the difference between infusion and enchantment? One is permanent while the other is not?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Attestant posted:

If you are Skyping with one person you get an echo in the voice chat, otherwise I would use it all the time because drat the people who play DS cannot speak good.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

lordfrikk posted:

What's the difference between infusion and enchantment? One is permanent while the other is not?

Infusion: Permanent, you go to the special blacksmith and permanently make your whatever a fire whatever. Or dark, or bleed or what have you.

Enchantment: You cast magic weapon on your weapon.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Pwnstar posted:

Clearly you haven't seen the light of easy mode dark souls PVE: Drangleic armor + Iron Flesh + (Greater) Combustion.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I always wonder why people spoiler boss names as they really don't give much away. Maybe a bit more than names did in DaS1 (I totally thought Sif was going to be a snake boss, imagine my suprise) but it's still a favourite activity to look at boss names and imagine what I might be fighting later on.

Here's my take on a few names I've seen floating around:

Smelter Demon: seems straightforward most likely, I'm picturing sort of a Muk made of lava, except wearing a big scary helm. It would be cool if he had bits that sort of rehardened into rock or metal before liquifying and changing form somewhat.

Duke's Dear Freja - Picturing a rat that uses a halberd and jumps really high up. This may or may not be derived from FFIX memories.

Gravelord Nito - I stopped playing DaS when 2 came out and I was coming up to this guy. I pronounce it as 'neato' and as such I picture a skeleton that is just fabulous

Old Iron King - Picturing a guy like the ones in Anor Londo only bigger and rustier, I hope that's not the case as that would be boring.

Ruin Sentinels - I imagine I will be fighting the Robot Elders from Futurama - SILENCE!!!

Lost Sinner - Some sort of ethereal gas boss. Maybe one of those ghosts that has corporeal armour and weapons but is otherwise formless.

That's all I can name off the top of my head for now but name a boss and I'll tell you what they are in my brain.

Would appreciate folks neither confirming nor denying these :)

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Beat the game today, but I had to look up online what the hell I was supposed to do after Mirror Knight. Did I miss something that would have told me where I was supposed to go?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I always wonder why people spoiler boss names as they really don't give much away. Maybe a bit more than names did in DaS1 (I totally thought Sif was going to be a snake boss, imagine my suprise) but it's still a favourite activity to look at boss names and imagine what I might be fighting later on.

Here's my take on a few names I've seen floating around:

Smelter Demon: seems straightforward most likely, I'm picturing sort of a Muk made of lava, except wearing a big scary helm. It would be cool if he had bits that sort of rehardened into rock or metal before liquifying and changing form somewhat.

Duke's Dear Freja - Picturing a rat that uses a halberd and jumps really high up. This may or may not be derived from FFIX memories.

Gravelord Nito - I stopped playing DaS when 2 came out and I was coming up to this guy. I pronounce it as 'neato' and as such I picture a skeleton that is just fabulous

Old Iron King - Picturing a guy like the ones in Anor Londo only bigger and rustier, I hope that's not the case as that would be boring.

Ruin Sentinels - I imagine I will be fighting the Robot Elders from Futurama - SILENCE!!!

Lost Sinner - Some sort of ethereal gas boss. Maybe one of those ghosts that has corporeal armour and weapons but is otherwise formless.

That's all I can name off the top of my head for now but name a boss and I'll tell you what they are in my brain.

Would appreciate folks neither confirming nor denying these :)

These are hilarious, you should repost after you find them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah, he's in for a massive, massive surprise on a few of those.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Beat the game today, but I had to look up online what the hell I was supposed to do after Mirror Knight. Did I miss something that would have told me where I was supposed to go?

There's a poo poo ton to do after Mirror Knight. Are you sure you beat the game?

I had no problem finding the next area?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well, Nito is always fabulous.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Whoever decided that Having the entire floor be poison that kills you super quickly as something that's in a boss fight is a complete rear end in a top hat who should be hanged.

there should be some kind of potion or something to circumvent this total bullshit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Infusion: Permanent, you go to the special blacksmith and permanently make your whatever a fire whatever. Or dark, or bleed or what have you.

Enchantment: You cast magic weapon on your weapon.

Also note that you can enchant infused melee weapons. When you enchant a weapon, it gives 50 base damage in the elemental category of the enchant, and also increases the weapon's elemental damage in that category by 30%. So if a weapon does 100 physical/100 lightning and you enchant it with gold pine resin, it will now do 100 physical/180 lightning.

Also I'm falling in love with the large club. S strength scaling is great, but the icing on the cake is that the 2-hand strong attack flattens other players long enough for me to do the Dikembe Mutombo emote while they recover, and that's what really matters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man reading this thread just shows me how godawful I've been at exploration. Nearing the end (I assume) of my first run and I've never seen half the poo poo you guys are talking about or that some white phantoms have been rocking.

So far I'm finding Drangleic a little weirdly disconnected compared to Lordran and more like videogame levels than an actual world. Like they just shoved a big lava castle into the game because it hadn't had a lava castle yet, rather than because it made sense for a lava castle to exist in that specific place. The NPCs don't seem to have any flavour or personality to them either compared to DS1. Can that more or less be attributed to just missing a ton of stuff, which is obviously what I've done?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Uh, forward? It's pretty obvious, especially compared to something like the Memories.

Al-Saqr posted:

Whoever decided that Having the entire floor be poison that kills you super quickly as something that's in a boss fight is a complete rear end in a top hat who should be hanged.

there should be some kind of potion or something to circumvent this total bullshit.

There is something you can do about it. Keep exploring, look for signs and paths that don't look like they go anywhere.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Actually there is something you can do to not make that room poisonous.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Pierson posted:

Man reading this thread just shows me how godawful I've been at exploration. Nearing the end (I assume) of my first run and I've never seen half the poo poo you guys are talking about or that some white phantoms have been rocking.

So far I'm finding Drangleic a little weirdly disconnected compared to Lordran and more like videogame levels than an actual world. Like they just shoved a big lava castle into the game because it hadn't had a lava castle yet, rather than because it made sense for a lava castle to exist in that specific place. The NPCs don't seem to have any flavour or personality to them either compared to DS1. Can that more or less be attributed to just missing a ton of stuff, which is obviously what I've done?
No, those are just flaws of the game. You can attribute it to the director of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls not working on DS2.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

kazil posted:

Actually there is something you can do to not make that room poisonous.

Ooooooohh shiiiit better put on my exploration glasses then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

There's a puzzle solution to that :wink:

It would be a shame if something bad happened to that windmill...

Pierson posted:

There's a ton of hidden stuff, as with DS1 and DeS, and exploration is so rewarding as a result. Its honestly my favorite part of the series, even better than the boss fights or the solid combat.

Most other gamers are pretty bad at exploration too because most games teach you not to. They actively punish exploring, so you stop. But that's lame, exploring is super fun.

DS2 isn't nearly as well connected as DS1 was, and that's just kinda how it is. I think they looked at DS1, being nearly perfect, and said "okay we can't top that, lets do something different"

I keep going back to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as a comparison. Nintendo realized they weren't gonna top OOT any time soon, so they just made something different. It was more zelda, but different stuff rather than just being more and worse than OOT.

I think From realized they'd have a hard time topping DS1 and just said, "Okay, lets just do something else instead". If you look at DS2 as a huge expansion to DS1, its hard to complain. It does offer a ton of awesome new areas with great variety. And it IS still very non-linear, its a huge sprawling world.

So most of the complaints are unfounded. But yeah, the world is less connected, there's not as many cool shortcuts, and NPCs aren't quite as cool. (Although the NPCs in DS1 were super subtle too, and it was really only on NG+ that you got to know them)

The only thing that really bothers me is the location of the Iron Keep. Everything else is really fine. You give up some connectedness in return for more variety. Overall a great game. But its obvious something was cut between Earthen Peak and Iron Keep and that's impossible to ignore.

Oh well, Lost Izalith was obviously rushed in DS1, so I guess that's par for the course with From :cheeky:

Also before we convince ourselves Dark Souls 1 was too perfect, lets not forget about the bed of chaos eh?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 29, 2014

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Speaking of it, the only time I had a lot of difficulty figuring out where to go next was after getting the King's Ring, since the Emerald Herald tells you very specifically to go open the King's Gate, which is the name of the bonfire right next to the Throne of Want. Of course I go do that, kill the throne twins, and nothing happens, no indication you're supposed to go to Aldia's first.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Is there any way to get Shards back from upgraded weapons?

I just realized that the broadsword is fairly terrible compared to stuff i could be using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Illegal Username posted:

Is there any way to get Shards back from upgraded weapons?

I just realized that the broadsword is fairly terrible compared to stuff i could be using

No, but you'll end up having a vendor with an infinite supply so it's not a big deal.