Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Somfin posted:

Horror from machines does not come from those machines breaking their own rules. It comes from those machines following their own rules. There's that one horror story of the robot maid continuing her rounds even after the bomb goes off- tipping the ashes of her former owners of of their bed and sweeping them away, scrubbing the impact shadow off of the walls, not noticing that a large portion of the house is missing.

Would that be Bradbury's There Will Come Soft Rains?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNHYz89sNc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

So the nausea lasts only a week and isn't life threatening. This isn't spooky in any way it's just a picture that makes you need the loo.

So basically someone sent them goatse and they WAY overreacted to it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So last night I read a big chunk of Aristotle's Poetics, and since he goes on at length about how Tragedy should/shouldn't work, it made me wonder what Tropers have to say about him. That and the accompanying article on the Poetics aren't too bad, but...

quote:

Of particular note to tropers is that he wrote the Poetics, studying tragic plays, making him the first troper of whom we have knowledge, and many tropes were first diagnosed by him.
Because of course he was.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

So last night I read a big chunk of Aristotle's Poetics, and since he goes on at length about how Tragedy should/shouldn't work, it made me wonder what Tropers have to say about him. That and the accompanying article on the Poetics aren't too bad, but...

Because of course he was.

Well to be fair Aristotle was a bit of a clueless sexist when it came to women, and his facial hair could possibly be described as a neckbeard.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Can someone tell me what the appeal of an actual neckbeard is? Why would anyone want to only grow hair on their neck?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In present day, it means someone who wants to have facial hair but either doesn't groom it, or doesn't know that they have to groom it, or is unaware that it looks like poo poo, or any of a number of other combinations of failure to meet the modest responsibilities of beard maintenance.

There are some rare fashion circumstances where someone might grow a neckbeard intentionally, but this is pretty much a 19th-century and/or Amish look, and even in those cases it is not an ungroomed beard but merely a differently-groomed one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ninjasaurus posted:

Can someone tell me what the appeal of an actual neckbeard is? Why would anyone want to only grow hair on their neck?

Well, to quote Google Image Search and their suggested subcategories:

Fedora
Athiest
Nerd
Fedora Trench Coat
Brony
Surfboard

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Ninjasaurus posted:

I always got the impression a 'neckbeard' only happens when these types of people get so fat that their jowls and chin sort of just overwrite or merge with their neck, giving the impression of both a face and neck covered with badly groomed hair.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

In present day, it means someone who wants to have facial hair but either doesn't groom it, or doesn't know that they have to groom it, or is unaware that it looks like poo poo, or any of a number of other combinations of failure to meet the modest responsibilities of beard maintenance.

There are some rare fashion circumstances where someone might grow a neckbeard intentionally, but this is pretty much a 19th-century and/or Amish look, and even in those cases it is not an ungroomed beard but merely a differently-groomed one.

Yeah, a neckbeard is more a sign of lack of hygiene than an actual fashion affectation.

There's also a masculinity thing involved, like the person who is being taunted doesn't have enough testosterone to grow full facial hair and can only being grow a neckbeard and maybe the thin wispy facial hair known as a pedostache.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ninjasaurus posted:

There isn't any appeal in a neckbeard. That's basically the problem. Beardiness is associated with manliness but not all adult male humans can grow a proper beard. Some attempt to but it grows in sparse patterns in places that only cover parts of the head and neck. A particularly bulbous double chin on a fat, filthy manchild will sometimes either be the only part of the head with any facial hair or, alternately, the sparse growth of facial hair will suggest a wispy beard with a companion, secondary beard on the neck. Big, fat cheeks on a morbidly obese man also have the potential to shove the beard low enough on the head that it grows out of the neck. Grotesquely obese men are not known for putting effort into anything and tend to not shave or groom themselves properly, leading to what looks like a beard growing out of their neck.

Generally speaking, men that grow proper beards know how to properly groom, clean, shave, and maintain them. Growing a beard is actually more complex than "step one: quit shaving, step two: acquire beard." You have to maintain them but filthy neckbeards generally don't trim, groom, or maintain them then act like smug assholes because "well I have hair on my face, that makes me manly." Well, no, having a beard doesn't make you manly just like wearing that damned fedora doesn't make you classy.

It's like I said before, it's a lot of "I want to be manly and classy but am too lazy to put forth the effort to be that so instead I'll acquire a few things associated with those things and call it a win." Being classy generally involves actually, you know, showering as well as washing the cheeto dust out of your facial hair. Manliness also generally involves putting enough effort into yourself that you don't resemble an enormous blob of dough that sprouted limbs and decided to watch anime and post about rape all day.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Namtab posted:

I could do the whole lot but I'd wind up turning into the subject of a creepypasta when they find me dead on the floor with "Theres No Such Thing As Notability" carved into my chest.

It'd still be better written than the epic Piste saga though.

I would support another long form troper fiction teardown. Just make sure you don't have any screwdrivers in the room.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

I coincidentally just watched the 1963 Japanese sci-fi film Atragon, in which a totally-not-shifty reporter who ends up being a mole working for the bad guys has an actual neckbeard, which was fairly distracting. I'm guessing it still wasn't a 'thing', and the reasons why neckbeards exist in the present day you guys have responded with are convincing, so thanks.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Improbable Lobster posted:

Would that be Bradbury's There Will Come Soft Rains?
Speaking of which, tropers' take on The Martian Chronicles:

quote:

Anyone Can Die: The series has characters dying left and right from the beginning. Then the nuclear war begins, and the previous death counts get put in perspective.
Apocalypse How: Class 2/3 for the native Martians and Class 4-6 for Earth.
But What About The Astronauts?: The population of Earth is wiped out by a nuclear war, but the people on Mars survive.
Earth That Was: The population of Earth is wiped out by a nuclear war, but the people on Mars survive.
From Bad to Worse: Near the end of the short stories, there are only a few more than a hundred Martians left, the majority of humans abandoned Mars, and Earth is at war. Then Earth goes boom.
Nuke 'em: The war on Earth has a lot of poorly thought-out nuke use.
Ted Baxter: Sam Parkhill serves as a violent example of this during the standoff with Jeff Spender. Later in the book, he sets up a hot dog stand, expecting a huge rush of business from an arriving wave of settlers and workers. Gets his comeuppance when he panics, kills a Martian who was about to give him property titles for half the planet, and then watches the nuclear war begin on Earth.
Throw-Away Country / Shiny New Australia: Nuclear war on Earth begins with Australia accidentally being atomized. As in the entire landmass. The event is so energetic that it casts shadows on Mars. It's not entirely clear why there was anything left to fight over on Earth, or how anyone (or even a microbe) was still alive to fight after that, this might be a case of Science Fiction Writers Have No Sense Of Scale.
A lot of the tropes have to do with the nuclear war on Earth that plays into the last few stories (but which happens almost entirely offscreen). They're so attuned to picking out individual plot points like ingredients in a cake that they don't have a way of expressing that it's not really a story about a nuclear war.

quote:

Mars
That's it. Apparently "Mars" is a trope.

quote:

Skeletal Musician: Inverted in "The Musicians" where skeletons are used to make music.
"Skeletal Musician" is about what it sounds like: a skeleton that plays music. As much as it's a Thing that Happens more than a trope with any actual meaning, at least it has a clear definition. I don't really understand how this is an inversion, though.

quote:

What Happened to the Mouse?: One early story, set in the segregated South, is about all the blacks in the area (or the country? it's been a while) pooling their resources to make/buy a rocket to get to Mars. They're never mentioned again through the entire rest of the book.
* Then later, in The Illustrated Man, it is revealed that they go back to help the survivors of the nuclear war.
It's a short story collection, you dingbats.

And from the YMMV page:

quote:

Values Dissonance and Society Marches On: Due to being published in 1946, there are still very traditionalist views of women, most people apparently still wear fur in the fake 1999 and in 2003, anti-lynching laws and civil rights acts for African Americans and other minorities are barely being passed.
* While manned space flight to a habitable Mars is common. It's clearly a differnet universe than ours, but one that arguably (at least in most elements) could have existed.
This trope invariably misses the point of whatever it's applied to. It's not really a matter of debate that several of the stories have old-fashioned views of women, and one in particular has a cringe-inducing view of black people (to the point where IIRC it's been cut from some editions). The trope page lists a few other examples, mostly sci-fi, but that's sort of the point: a lot of sci-fi is intended to make some point about the values of the society at the time of its writing by projecting it into the future or into the apocalypse or something. Bradbury sets up Mars as a parallel to the Old West (and other eras of frontier migration): if his contemporary society suddenly found a new frontier, who would go and why?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Incoherence posted:

Bradbury sets up Mars as a parallel to the Old West (and other eras of frontier migration): if his contemporary society suddenly found a new frontier, who would go and why?
gently caress that, I wanna know which characters are Tsundere and which are Yandere! :derp:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Maybe the skeleton thing is an inversion because they make music instead of play it? :shrug:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Minus Green posted:

Maybe the skeleton thing is an inversion because they make music instead of play it? :shrug:
Yes; they're the instrument, rather than the performer. This is very important.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BKPR posted:

I would support another long form troper fiction teardown. Just make sure you don't have any screwdrivers in the room.

Only one piche story on that creepypasta blog and I can't be arsed to look for the rest.

So instead I accessed my old friend: the comprehensive list of Troper Works but none of the titles compelled me to click them

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Only one piche story on that creepypasta blog and I can't be arsed to look for the rest.

So instead I accessed my old friend: the comprehensive list of Troper Works but none of the titles compelled me to click them
I beg to differ!

:allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Namtab posted:

http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2011/10/ichor.html
http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2011/10/perch-creek.html

There ya go.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I didn't really read it, but a couple of things caught my eye when I scanned the page:

"This story is credited to a person called Guiv." Oh really now? posted:

In 1923, a man named Oliver Brehl released a book of information on the Piche. Only a few of these books still remain. From what hasn't been smudged over time there are three basic things that can be read:
  1. The Piche does not kill unless you witness it.
  2. The Piche has red eyes.
  3. The Piche only comes out in the cold, becoming more adventurous and ferocious as more snow appears.
"Guiv" also wrote the dumbass hacker story, and those must be some exceptionally smudgy books.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 28, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Namtab posted:

*Insert "The Library of Alexandria was burned to the ground but poo poo like this will exist forever" response here*

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ninjasaurus posted:

*Insert "The Library of Alexandria was burned to the ground but poo poo like this will exist forever" response here*

Now, we don't know if the Library of Alexandria was any better than this. I mean Shakespeare only seems classy now because of the cultural distance. It's like 90% dick and fart jokes. Dante's Inferno is essentially Biblical fanfiction, complete with self-insert protagonist with a TOTALLY HOT WIFE.

The truth about culture is that it was never really that good.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Come now.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This entire page is beautiful. It confirms nearly all of our suspicions, accusations, stereotypes and criticisms of TVTropes.

Sugar Wiki: TV Tropes Will Enhance Your Life posted:

According to some, a comprehensive knowledge of TV Tropes (which I won't link to, saving you all time, money and time) is a reasonable substitute for a degree in English Lit, years of training in the field of psychoanalysis and, in extreme cases, a medical license.
—Comment from Critical Miss

So, you're spending many (way too many) hours reading TV Tropes. You remember exactly every Tropes of Legend and know by heart the whole Canonical List of Subtle Trope Distinctions. But still, even if it might ruin your life, TV Tropes might also make it better in many areas. Besides, who needs a social life?

Those are:
  • Vocabulary! You never know what bizarre word a troper will use (especially if you're not native English) and you need to understand it! Then, whoa, you remember and start using it. Congratulations, your Vocabulary just got a +1 bonus!
    - Examples: Laconic, any one of the four temperaments, and double meanings no one who has never been to this site will ever get!
    -- And let's not forget Egregious!
  • Grammar! Even if you literally know nothing about it, there's always a Grammar Nazi around to correct you, making you acknowledge the error and learn by fun, 'cause TV Tropes is fun.
  • Series! So, you read a trope or something, and there it is - a TV show, or maybe a comic, that sounds good. You'd never know about its existence without TV Tropes.
  • School!
    - TV Tropes is helpful for literature classes because you start thinking about literary works in the context of analysis, which is the entire point of most literature classes. (Well, that and the whole Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory thing.) You just need to remember not to tell your college professor that the Ariadne myth hung a lampshade on the whole philandering-gods thing...
    - It's also amazing for AP Language and Comp, where the terms Laconic, anarchism, and Deus ex Machina are REAL!
    - It even helps with Sociology! Show your professor a page like Eagleland Osmosis, and they make note of your research.
    - TV Tropes is also great for history if you have a teacher who likes film and books - for example, the History of Manga.
    - Try being a communications major and having notebooks FILLED with TV Tropes references.
    - One teaching method is to teach someone about particular concepts, and then present them with a story employing those concepts so that they can see them in action, or be challenged to find them themselves and explain the implications thereof.
    - Reality Is Unrealistic will show you how much more interesting your world can be.
    - TV Tropes also helps with Film Studies due to listing conventions.
  • Critical thinking! First, because carefully analyzing a work and breaking it down into its component tropes teaches you to carefully watch TV with a judging mind instead of just passively accepting the show. Second, because there's a reason you've became so acquainted with negative tropes, such as Author Tract or Wall Banger, as well as potentially negative tropes like Faux Symbolism: because they give you a solid base to justify why a show is bad!
  • Writing! TV Tropes can tell you all about a possibly negative trope in your work that you didn't even know existed. Now there are all sorts of stories which have been improved thanks to this wonderful website!
    - But don't forget that Tropes Are Not Bad! You can discover fresh tropes that would never have occurred to you and use them in your writing. Or you can take old Discredited Tropes and subvert or deconstruct them in exciting new ways.
    - Homeschoolers? Learn this site. Love it. There's nothing better than free information when you're homeschooling.
    - Some learning disabilities (dyscalculia is one) work REALLY well with this site. You'll wonder how you tried to write without it.
  • Humour! If comedy is your style, the site's informal yet witty manner can help you become a generally smarter, funnier and more approachable person. What's more, entries about Acceptable Targets (along with the page Dude, Not Funny!) can help you avoid cracking jokes likely to offend people.
  • Useful Notes is, in a nutshell, Wikipedia if Wikipedia was a lot more practical and informal.
  • Friends! Out with someone and they suddenly make a reference to Parental Bonus? Instant BFF!
  • Bored of your favorite shows, movies or book series? You will be able to enjoy your favorite things once more because all the Wild Mass Guessing combined with finding new content and the overall descriptions the tropes provide. Not only you can find new content to try out, but you have a new way of seeing your old shows and books as if you are reading them for the first time.
  • Although TV Tropes has its downs, it's still a really great place. It helps you learn about awesome media and cool tropes to use! It's funny, it's heartwarming, it's awesome, and it's everything you wanted!
  • What if a storyline component suddenly reminds you of a trope you know next to nothing about? Seriously, who knew you could catch a Genghis Gambit as soon as you learned about the event? Congrats, you've just been enriched!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
As a Sociology student I'll admit that the undergrad stuff gets dumb but even in 101 they'll laugh you out of class if you use TvTropes as a reference.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They really think that Laconic is a word that originated on TvTropes, don't they?

It's Greek, for gently caress's sake. Lacedaemonia was a region in ancient Greece that contained the City State of Sparta. The term "laconic" refers to a form of Spartan education, where youths were encouraged to answer questions as concise and wittily as they could. Laconic wit is basically snark mixed with arrogance, hallmarks of Spartan culture.

Oh wait, no wonder that Tropers idolize it, since they love the Spartans. They probably think if the Spartans were still around today, they'd be the bestest ever. And totally not fascist imperialists who horrifically abused the Helots and spent the rest of their days perpetually making GBS threads themselves out of fear that the Helots would rebel against them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 29, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Arcsquad12 posted:

They really think that Laconic is a word that originated on TvTropes, don't they?

It's Greek, for gently caress's sake. Lacedaemonia was a region in ancient Greece that contained the City State of Sparta. The term "laconic" refers to a form of Spartan education, where youths were encouraged to answer questions as concise and wittily as they could. Laconic wit is basically snark mixed with arrogance, hallmarks of Spartan culture.
That section also mentions the four classical temperaments. They don't think that Tropers invented the word, just that only they are smart enough to use it, unlike all those mindless Jerk Jocks and Libbys. (Not that that's much of an improvement.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They get the shortness, but they completely excise the wit and cleverness.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

God I wish there were Troper Tales for "TV Tropes Will Enhance Your Life". :allears:

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh wait, no wonder that Tropers idolize it, since they love the Spartans. They probably think if the Spartans were still around today, they'd be the bestest ever. And totally not fascist imperialists who horrifically abused the Helots and spent the rest of their days perpetually making GBS threads themselves out of fear that the Helots would rebel against them.

I'm surprised they don't think that the Spartans are Real-Life Lampshading Jerk Jock Trope Namers. They were an entire country obsessed with physical fitness, regimental training, and bullying people into submission.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alpacalips Now posted:

I'm surprised they don't think that the Spartans are Real-Life Lampshading Jerk Jock Trope Namers. They were an entire country obsessed with physical fitness, regimental training, and bullying people into submission.

On the other hand, "300."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Alpacalips Now posted:

For all that tropers say about jerk jocks, they seem to value might above all. Even magic based on intelligence, the biggest nerd circlejerk, is less problem solving and more colorful ways of breaking stuff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alpacalips Now posted:

Tropers like soldiers. It's professional sports they don't like.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Tropers like soldiers. It's professional sports they don't like.

So physical prowess is fine so long as it's only for the purpose of killing people. A very healthy mindset!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ninjasaurus posted:

God I wish there were Troper Tales for "TV Tropes Will Enhance Your Life". :allears:

There were. Mostly the stories are "I discovered x series or y trope" but there's a little bit of gold in the dull mud.

Troper Tales - TVTropes Will Enhance Your Life posted:

* [[Tropers/{{Sijo}} This Troper]] has been, his whole life, a watch-(or read)-and-write kind of person. If only there were ONE single place where I could post about anything at anytime! Tried Wikipedia, but they got fussy with notability and copyrights. Then a friend mention TV Tropes... ;)
Wikipedia was so fussy about having pages be worthwhile, then I discovered TVTropes.

quote:

* Thanks to TV Tropes i learned the MST3KMantra. Now i'm more open-minded and watch shows that, in the past, i would have discarted as pure nonsense without even watching them.
Heh, I used to take genre shows too seriously. Not any more.

quote:

* When my John Milton class was discussing ''ParadiseLost'', we got to the topic one night of the intoxicating effects of the ForbiddenFruit. I mentioned that an "online discourse community" I belong to refers to the portrayal in literature of evil as a drug as "ThisIsYourBrainOnEvil." The class [[CrowningMomentOfFunny cracked up]], and the professor said we should put that on a t-shirt with an image of Adam and Eve eating the fruit.
I said the name of a trope and then the whole class laughed and the teacher loved it and wanted a t-shirt and I was made king of the school.

quote:

* This troper casually disregarded WizardsOfWaverlyPlace as "just another tween show" before TV Tropes. To put things in perspective, I'm watching it right now and will probably watch the rest of tonight's airings. Granted, I got into it [[FetishFuel for the wrong reasons]] but it's a good show and I probably wouldn't have watched without TV Tropes.
Thanks to TVTropes I discovered this TOTES MATURE kids show (that i totally masturbate to).

quote:

* This Troper would like to give a ''huge'' "THANK YOU" to this website. Why? Well, I'm a GCSE student, and for my English Language GCSE, I need to do some speeches. Now, it was a Sunday, and I was surfing this website, or specifically, TroperTales. I was on the CMOA TT page, when I decided to go for the Public Speaking section. I idly remembered that I was doing a speech - oh, wait ''I was doing it the very next day, and I hadn't done anything towards it!'' Cue a mad dash to my room where I proceeded to write a speech that got me an A* grade. Thank you, TV Tropes!
Bullshit

quote:

* This troper got a short story published in a local magazine. She got a lot of positive feedback and has now decided to turn it into a full novel, which she intends on publishing one day. This novel is the longest she's ever worked on a project. What was it inspired by? TheUnfairSex.
This troper managed to become a female MRA author, all thanks to TVTropes. Think I'm being extreme, here's TheUnfairSex

The Unfair Sex posted:

A special kind of double standard that completely screws around with a show's internal logic. A male character is portrayed performing an act that seems evil and unfair in a relationship, like say, looking at another woman. Meanwhile, a female character can perpetrate the exact same actions but not receive any sort of penalty or negative dividends for it. As such, the end result of this is usually both that male sexuality (and the expressions thereof) are presented as inherently "wrong", "dirty" and "ugly", and that any problems that arise in a heterosexual relationship are automatically the man's fault. It's a form of "feminism" in some feminist appearing works: like Scrubs, Sex & the City and Beyonce.

Used far too often in Scrubs.
Best exemplified in JDs Anvilicious closing narration in My Tormented Mentor: "There will always be a battle for power between the sexes, sometimes a man just has to give in, other times he just has to take a positive step, and once in a while a man just has to be there for her." The subtext being that women can't be wrong because they have it hard on account of being women(!?), while in the same episode the chief complaint a female surgeon has against Turk is that he assumes women in their profession have it hard (which is true, at least in universe) and then punishes him for being perfectly nice to her. The female surgeon who is in charge of Turk constantly insults everyone around her and then prevents him from operating indefinitely because she overheard him defending her in front of the resident Memetic Molester and he told her he doesn't share the prejudices of the other male surgeons. Hint: You're not supposed to be supportive of women, it's demeaning. All instances of female surgeons in the show basically illustrate one point: cocky men are assholes, cocky women are professionals who fight the good fight for women all over the world and it's completely justified if they lash out and misuse their authority from time to time (or all the time.) Note that this head surgeon abuses her power over Turk when Carla uninvited her to their wedding due to lack of space.
Yeah, I look forward to that troper's published novel.
E: Seems like tropers have never heard of concepts like slut shaming or the like where women are demonised for stuff men would do. Everything to tropers is about the wrongs that evil feminists visit upon men in our media.

More Troper Tales posted:

* This troper expanded her vocabulary, and is more critic and concious now. TvTropes may even help her to get into literature career in college, even gave her, finally after a lot of HeadScraching, the tittle for her story: she decided to name her story after a trope. It also saved this troper from her creative BrainBleach, and most likely will help her to write her story better.
I think you've got more problems ahead of you than just lack of trope knowledge.

quote:

* [[Tropers/{{BrainedbySaucepans}} This Troper]] can proudly state that TVTropes may in fact have [[BeyondTheImpossible saved my life]] (or at least significantly extended it)! One of my main reasons for quitting smoking and switching to electronic cigarettes was so I wouldn't have to spend time away from my computer. Fellow tropers, my lungs thank you.
Good thing that troper had never heard of ashtrays I guess.

quote:

* At this troper's school, almost every website that could be remotely interesting is blocked. Then I found out TvTropes wasn't among those websites.
The punchline for this one is just low-hanging fruit.

quote:

* Do you often find yourself struggling to argue against InsaneTrollLogic online? Can't make a hole in their ChewbaccaDefense? [[Tropers/{{Ifreann}} This Troper]] was once like you, until I started to use ''[[AltumVidetur reductio ad]]'' ''[[CanisLatinicus tropum]]''. [[ConversationalTroping Phrase your responses in tropes]](bonus points for an AllBlueEntry) and watch as your [[TheAntagonist opponent]] suffers a [[TVTropesWillRuinYourLife tab explosion]] and never gets around to responding! [[AWinnerIsYou You win!]] Thanks to this tactic, TVTropes is now my InfinityPlusOneSword for internet arguments. Case in point, how many tabs did you open while reading this tale?
Or to write it in English "This troper fights "trolls" by making so many hyperlinked trope references that he hopes the troll spends so much time opening the tabs he loses the argument".

quote:

* Thanks to TvTropes, [[Tropers.{{Encrypted12345}} This Troper]] has discovered VisualNovels, the NasuVerse, NitroPlus, the {{Rance}} Series, TengenToppaGurrenLagann, MagicalGirlLyricalNanoha, and several awesome FanFiction. Thank you, TvTropes. Now excuse me while I go cry ManlyTears.
Thanks to TVTropes, I discovered three eroge series, two popular anims, and fanfiction. Life enhanced!

quote:

* I felt that there was only one word for me: Weird, and not in a good way. I spend a lot of time on my own, and do in fact prefer thinking about some things to communicating them with people addionally (eg: Working on my own as apposed to with a group). This of couse, leads me to spending a lot of time on my own, although I have little diffulty TALKING to others and get lonely if alone for too long). I could go on, really. Yesterday, I was browsing troper tales and visited the "ShrinkingViolet" page. After doing some research stemming from a link on that page, it turns out I'm probably just introverted. Thank you, TV Tropes + Helpful Troper. I am weird no longer.
:smith:

Namtab fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 29, 2014

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Ugh, that page brings back bad memories. I had a troper show up in way too many of my classes back in college. She took every lit class she could and delighted in derailing conversations about the actual literary works to talk about what tropes she thought they used and then ramble on about what each trope meant. Every time this happened the entire class just stared in utter bewilderment, sometimes the teacher too, depending on how patient they were. So no, tropers. Tropes will not enrich your academic career, it will just get you a lot of funny stares.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

John Milton Class.

I know, he probably meant and eng lit class that focused on John Milton one time, but still. Makes me doubt his story.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Little Blackfly posted:

John Milton Class.

I know, he probably meant and eng lit class that focused on John Milton one time, but still. Makes me doubt his story.
Yes, that detail is what calls the story into doubt.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yes, that detail is what calls the story into doubt.

I should have specified it was the first thing chronologically to make me doubt his story. Others followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

My college offers a Milton course (also Shakespeare and Chaucer ones), for what that's worth.

For content, here's some nerd rage about Spongebob: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WallBangers/SpongebobSquarepants

quote:

Any time a character is ticketed for littering.
"Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful" is basically built on this, with SpongeBob and Squilliam each getting one and Squidward getting eight (nearly nine), including one for putting trash in someone else's trashcan. Oh, and some of the trash wasn't even his!
And to add a bit more insult to injury, it was paired with "A Pal For Gary".
A officer said he joined the force for that in "Driven to tears".
The police seem to get worse and worse, as several episodes mock a character for alerting them in the first place. In "Driven to Tears," SpongeBob alerted a police officer about Patrick's speeding, only for the cop to tell him to get Patrick driving again, or else SpongeBob would go to jail for being a tattletale.
This example in particular gets even more uncomfortable when you remember how SpongeBob became the target of a certain strangler the last time he was a "tattletale." And the cops didn't help much then, either.
Again in "Sentimental Sponge", where a cop scoffs at Squidward and calls him a "snitch", simply because he called the Sanitation Police about SpongeBob's vast amount of garbage.
What about the fact that in "Party Pooper Pants", they arrested SpongeBob for not inviting them to his party? I mean, this should be surprising considering this was before the whole 'Litter' incidents begun.

• Locked thread