Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

neetengie posted:

If I still had my Decree of Annihilation it would have been that card. First rare I opened, from the first set I've bought packs from.
I miss Scourge :smith:

Same, but I opened Decree of Pain :getin:

And the first card I opened in Darksteel was Death Cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I got my first deck given to me at a chess tournament, it was a BR deck that was full of removal. I still remember the first change I ever made to a deck; I added Blanket of Night to my BR deck with no mana problems so that it would make my one Nightmare better. Ah, the joys of being new...

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I treasure my Grim Tutor. I've had it since I was little, from a starter 1999 booster. :3: It will always have a place in my commander deck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My foil Delvers. I've got stuff that costs more but I jumped on those pretty quickly because I thought they were cool as hell and knew someone better than me was going to make them awesome. I got my first 3 when the only Delver decks in standard were that UR one and the monoblue illusions. I had to trade a Sun Titan for the last one because Delver had finally become a thing. "You're coming out ahead on this trade, but the long run is going to get me there."

Holy poo poo when was my foil delver suddenly worth so much? It's almost worth as much as the snapcaster I opened in the same pack.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I got a my beat up Chaos Orb signed at GP Chicago last year. It was the one card that was worth something that I didn't sell off when I sold off all my duals and legends stuff 10 years. Never going to get rid of it.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

My first rare ever pulled was sphinx's sovereign, it's such a terrible card but it still holds a place in my heart :)

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
I sadly gave up my first two artifacts as a kid when I gave all my MTG stuff away.

I've recently restarted my quest to find a Squee's Toy and Lotus Blossom. Miss those two.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just realised what bothers me about Reprisal's new art. It's going to make me think it deals with Stormbreath Dragon at least once.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Mine is the playset of kobolds and Rogah I've had since I started in revised. One of these days I'll figure out a way to make them into an edh deck

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just realised what bothers me about Reprisal's new art. It's going to make me think it deals with Stormbreath Dragon at least once.

Well it does show the death of some sort of dragon in every illustration.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mine is the playset of kobolds and Rogah I've had since I started in revised. One of these days I'll figure out a way to make them into an edh deck

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Jeez, my first rare was a Boros Reckoner.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

a dozen swans posted:

I don't remember what I opened at the prerelease (my first event ever), but I bought a box of Innistrad the next weekend, and my second pack was a foil Snappy and a regular Snappy together. I also pulled two Lilianas from that box. It was probably a bad thing because that luck kicked off a year-long booster pack addiction, but it was enough trade value to put together my first decks very quickly.

I finally kicked the habit when my luck ran out, my last epic booster was a foil Deathrite Shaman and a Jace at an RTR sealed event. It's been nothing but garbage since then, with the one exception of that random foil Elspeth on an impulse pack at Walmart. I do buy more random packs on impulse now that I have a stable income, though.

My biggest trade regret is that I had to trade away my promo Mayor of Avabruck in a desperation move. It was at the height of the Naya Humans craze when he was ridiculously expensive for a week, and I traded it at a TCGPlayer event where I lost a critical card for the deck I was going to play (turned out it fell on the floor under my desk the previous night when I had been tweaking the deck and finalizing my list, resleeving, etc). It had to be done, it was the only thing the guy wanted that was valuable enough :smith:

I agree with whoever posted about the foil Bonfire: I could replace it for super cheap now (I probably will), but it's not the same.

EDIT: I also regret trading my spare Emrakul to my girlfriend to finish my Avacyn EDH deck back when he was a whopping $17, but at least I get to visit with him regularly.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 29, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My first rare was a Sliver Overlord. I still love that card even though I don't have it still. Slivers 4 lyfe.

EDIT: How come it's about 5$ to buy? I can't imagine it having much of a place outside EDH, and it's not really a staple there. Rarity/Old value?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 29, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Dr. Stab posted:

Holy poo poo when was my foil delver suddenly worth so much? It's almost worth as much as the snapcaster I opened in the same pack.

I'd just like to point out for any "financiers" that double-faced cards are almost guaranteed to not be reprinted in Modern Masters 2 because they warp the limited environment so badly. Any Eternal playable ones are probably good spec targets (especially Delvers as mentioned, but also Huntmaster and Garruk Relentless)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

My first rare? Probably that foil Thorn Elemental that came in the seventh edition starter box. I mean, thats what I learned to play with. No idea what happened to it, its probably in the flooded basement of my old house.

a dozen swans posted:

Dear God I feel old.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh wtf, I unloaded mine back in January when it was at the lowest of the low :bang:

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

C-Euro posted:

Just popping in to say that after having them since Onslaught was Standard-legal, I'm finally breaking up my Goblin Piledriver playset after a Deckbox pubbie asked for one in a trade :smith: I remember feeling so accomplished when I finally put that quartet together, one of them is even in Japanese which is hard to come by as a HS freshman with no job and no car, you know?

PYF cards/playsets in your collection that you're attached to.

My favorite cards in my whole collection are the 3x Galvanic Blast that I had signed by Brian Kibler.

Context for those who don't understand why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UipZNYQpZvo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't remember what I opened at the prerelease (my first event ever), but I bought a box of Innistrad the next weekend, and my second pack was a foil Snappy and a regular Snappy together. I also pulled two Lilianas from that box. It was probably a bad thing because that luck kicked off a year-long booster pack addiction, but it was enough trade value to put together my first decks very quickly.

I finally kicked the habit when my luck ran out, my last epic booster was a foil Deathrite Shaman and a Jace at an RTR sealed event. It's been nothing but garbage since then, with the one exception of that random foil Elspeth on an impulse pack at Walmart. I do buy more random packs on impulse now that I have a stable income, though.

My biggest trade regret is that I had to trade away my promo Mayor of Avabruck in a desperation move. It was at the height of the Naya Humans craze when he was ridiculously expensive for a week, and I traded it at a TCGPlayer event where I lost a critical card for the deck I was going to play (turned out it fell on the floor under my desk the previous night when I had been tweaking the deck and finalizing my list, resleeving, etc). It had to be done, it was the only thing the guy wanted that was valuable enough :smith:

I agree with whoever posted about the foil Bonfire: I could replace it for super cheap now (I probably will), but it's not the same.

EDIT: I also regret trading my spare Emrakul to my girlfriend to finish my Avacyn EDH deck back when he was a whopping $17, but at least I get to visit with him regularly.

I will never not love cracking packs. I get insane luck with it often enough to feed the addiction. Two years ago I stumbled on a store still selling RoE and pulled Emrakul when he was already $40, last year at GP Philly I entered a mini madrters and pulled a Misty Rainforest then with the credit I got from winning that I bought a pack of Planar Chais and pulled Damnation. It made me feel a lot better after paying $40 to enter a tournament I dropped in round three after a pool of 18 creatures total.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
My first rare was Magma Giant. My friends had gotten me into the game and let me play with their cards, but when I went to buy a few packs of Champions of Kamigawa they threw in an extra 5th Dawn pack just because, and that was the first one I opened. Glad I stuck around even after that.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.
First rare that I really remember is my Revised Taiga. Had that thing for a long time, and IIRC never picked up another dual land naturally.

I ended up selling it off when I got into the business of auctioning Magic cards back in 1998. When I took down the site around 2005, I sold off all of my rares and uncommons, and sat on thousands of commons that didn't seem worth selling. Only recently have I gone through them and realized that the best of them are worth several hundred now, which seems crazy, so I'm putting them together to trade in to Card Kingdom, to help assemble an EDH deck or two.

These days I mostly just play online, so I really don't need many physical cards aside from the ones I pick up at the pre-releases. I mostly just collect duel decks for when my son is old enough to play in a year or two. The Horde and Hydra decks are totally the best thing when you are trying to teach a kid--you can be on the same team, and there are no feelbads from you accidentally stomping them into the dust.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I started fairly recently, back when Theros block was new. Can't remember what the exact first rare was, but the first memorable out of the boosters in the Deckbuilder's Toolkit I started out with was Utvara Hellkite - I immediately decided I want to build a dragon deck based on that, and I have a silly R/G casual deck of all the dragons that's fun to play.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
My first rare was a white bordered Nevinyrral's Disk. I put it in a monored Kavu themed deck thinking it was the ultimate game winner card.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
My first rare that I opened from a pack that I fell in love with was Defense of the Heart

Before that I had rares, but none held that place in me decks and heart like this card did.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Entropic posted:

Stop That! was pretty much the only fun Gotcha card.

That's probably because the condition was a behavior unrelated to actual gameplay.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My first rare was Avacyn, Angel of Hope :3:

I plan on giving it a nice home in a mono white angels edh deck one day.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
My first rare was Odric, Master Tactician and it's because I bought the starter deck. Yup, I'm that new to MTG.

I'm 33 so I remember the game in the Alpha and laughing and making fun of my friends for playing a stupid card game, yet here I am 20+ years later obsessed as ever w/it while they sold off their collections 15+ years ago.

I wonder if I would have had any staples if I started w/them when they did

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
First rare was Keldon Warlord out of a Revised starter pack. Also had a Living Wall but the Warlord came first.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
My first was Necrosavant. A card I've had the whole time and never actually used. I should really make something with it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Smashing Link posted:

First rare was Keldon Warlord out of a Revised starter pack. Also had a Living Wall but the Warlord came first.

Both of those are uncommons.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

Both of those are uncommons.

No kidding, I guess they seemed like rares in my 12 year old brain. Must've been the Nev's Disk then.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Keldon had comically huge muscles which in the childhood mind = better than = rarer than.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
I think the first rare I remember pulling was a white-bordered 4E Carrion Ants. My favorite cards are ones that would pretty much get me pilloried by anyone sane: Stasis, Zur's Weirding, Wand of Denial, Breathstealer's Crypt and the centerpiece of most of my decks from 1996-2000, my Legends Underworld Dreams.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I don't remember what my first rare was, but I think it was Kamahl Pit fighter.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Keldon had comically huge muscles which in the childhood mind = better than = rarer than.

Genuinely only just now realized he's riding a horse which makes him only slightly less comically proportioned.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maraxus of Keld was huge! Provided you weren't tapped out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
First rares were sengir, shivan dragon and demonic attorney out of a revised starter

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have no idea what my first rare was because who has time for that nerd poo poo when holy poo poo look at this Scaled Wurm, this fucker is 7/goddamn 6. Look how big these numbers are.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
7/6!? That's got nothing on this loving Force of Nature over here.

I think my favorite rare is the English copy of The Abyss that I was somehow able to convince a friend to trade to me back around 1999. I managed to hold onto it during a long hiatus from Magic, and it now gets to live a second life in my cube, swallowing creatures and making opponents' lives unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Mishra's War Machine and a Birds of Paradise out of a Revised starter deck. Man I'm old...

• Locked thread