Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

JT Jag posted:

He is already part of the group that owns the Los Angeles Dodgers, and there are conflict of interest provisions that prevent someone from owning shares in two sports franchises in the same market. So yeah, doubtful.

I don't think this is true. I know from Dallas sports drama that there's no such provision from the MLB side, since Tom Hicks owned the Rangers and Stars, and I don't think there's such a prohibition on the NBA's side, since Mark Cuban (owner of the Mavericks) was part of an ownership group trying to buy the Rangers in their bankruptcy auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
How do you ban the owner of a basketball team from basketball? Did they take the Clippers away from him?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Alter Ego posted:

How do you ban the owner of a basketball team from basketball? Did they take the Clippers away from him?
He's going to be forced to sell the team unless he can pawn the team off on a family member with NBA approval for one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

He did, but he has also grappled with Sterling about other issues (eg the housing stuff Sterling owns) for decades since he retired and got into activism. Plus Sterling slammed him recently.

Take away Sterling's team, give it to the guy who will piss him off the most (and is a decent human being)

Yeah for those not following, Donald Sterling's biracial mistress taped him telling her not to bring black guys around, not even Magic Johnson.

Sterling has long been one of the worst owners in sports so it's good not only to send a message that racism will not be tolerated in an organization where almost all the players are minorities, but it's good for Clips fans as well.

Alter Ego posted:

3/4 of the owners can vote to force a sale, and apparently the league knows it has that threshold.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

He still owns the team, but he's basically barred from making any decisions regarding the team or showing up to team events.

Basically, if he wants to just collect profits off the team silently, he could. Which is why the second half of the reaction, of sponsors refusing to have anything to do with the Clippers and what this scandal will do to the upcoming Clippers local TV contract, is very important. It could basically turn profits into losses and force him to sell.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The idea of a rich white guy actually suffering consequences for being a racist and a horrible person must REALLY be chapping the right's rear end.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Alter Ego posted:

He is not allowed onto any franchise properties or to contact any franchise staff. He can sit home and collect checks from the organization, but he can't have anything to do with the running of it. And the owner not being able to run it will tank valuation because (while keeping owners away from the team would probably be good, see jerry Reinsdorf and the Jordan era Bulls) keeping them away from the business side is harmful

zoux posted:

Yeah for those not following, Donald Sterling's biracial mistress taped him telling her not to bring black guys around, not even Magic Johnson.
No the best part of that is him going off about him being totally cool with her bringing black guys home to gently caress, but not bringing them to the game or anywhere in public. Whole lot of hilarious sexual kinks and politics revealed with that bit of the rant

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

The idea of a rich white guy actually suffering consequences for being a racist and a horrible person must REALLY be chapping the right's rear end.
Well, he's gonna get 600 or so million dollars from selling the franchise, so don't rejoice too much.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 29, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Well, he's gonna get 600 or so million dollars from selling the franchise, so don't rejoice too much.

Yeah, he bought it for 12 million, it is presently values at north of 700 million. So he is going to make a tidy profit

He loses the power and prestige though, and at that level of rich the power and prestige is what matters.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I don't even care that he's going to make money off it, the fact that someone with that much money has actually suffered any consequences for being a racist piece of poo poo makes me happy. I figured he would get fined and scolded and nothing else. The fact that the NBA is forcibly kicking him to the curb is great.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Using the military for law enforcement is a terrible idea.

Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed, in that American law enforcement is behaving like a military force.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

There are lots of ways for rich white guys to make $600 million. The cache and rich guy bragging rights that go along with owning a pro basketball team are priceless and irreplaceable.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Magres posted:

I don't even care that he's going to make money off it, the fact that someone with that much money has actually suffered any consequences for being a racist piece of poo poo makes me happy. I figured he would get fined and scolded and nothing else. The fact that the NBA is forcibly kicking him to the curb is great.

Yeah, the NBA post "I know where the bodies are buried" David Stern has been fantastic from a management standpoint.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He's currently telling Fox News that he's not planning on selling the team.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Magres posted:

Yeah, if you are racist enough to get the national discourse to actually call you a racist, then you get loving hammered. It's an aggravatingly high bar to clear (since America doesn't like to admit that there are still racists who aren't KKK/Nazi members), but both Donald Sterling and Cliven Bundy managed to clear that bar, and are now persona non gratas for the foreseeable future.

Joementum posted:

Oh hell yes, please drag this out as long as you want you rear end in a top hat.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, he bought it for 12 million, it is presently values at north of 700 million. So he is going to make a tidy profit

He loses the power and prestige though, and at that level of rich the power and prestige is what matters.

Your chances of there being 'sport hostesses' you can wrangle just as a mere billionaire goes down drastically. From the recordings it becomes very obvious that the team was really just a multi-million dollar bunny ranch for him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

It's impossible for Sterling to keep the Clippers for himself. His "out" in this is to give the Clippers to a family member: he's claiming that these are strictly personal issues, and that his family has nothing to do with all this. The NBA will have to approve the move.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Since this just happened today, the guy is working his way through the whole stages of loss/grief deal. He's probably just now reached Anger and will be at Bargaining soon.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

thefncrow posted:

I don't think this is true. I know from Dallas sports drama that there's no such provision from the MLB side, since Tom Hicks owned the Rangers and Stars, and I don't think there's such a prohibition on the NBA's side, since Mark Cuban (owner of the Mavericks) was part of an ownership group trying to buy the Rangers in their bankruptcy auction.

Yeah and Tom Benson in New Orleans owns both the Saints (NFL) and Pelicans (NBA).

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

radical meme posted:

Since this just happened today, the guy is working his way through the whole stages of loss/grief deal. He's probably just now reached Anger and will be at Bargaining soon.

from twitter:
ZachLowe_NBA: League sources say Silver/league, not Sterling, would control Clips sales process in event Silver gets the required 3/4 vote to force it.

Hard to bargain on a 1 dollar sale.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

double post

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Gerund posted:

from twitter:
ZachLowe_NBA: League sources say Silver/league, not Sterling, would control Clips sales process in event Silver gets the required 3/4 vote to force it.

That's if the league votes to terminate his ownership.

Likely, he'll get a short window to start looking for buyers on his own, and if he refuses, the league terminates his ownership, takes control of the team, and sells it themselves.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gerund posted:

from twitter:

Magic buying the Clippers for a song could be the possible outcome of this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Gerund posted:

from twitter:

Said before but: Get wreked Sterling. :getin:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
In a perfect world Donald Trump would buy it. Perfectly comical, that is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pohl posted:

In a perfect world Donald Trump would buy it. Perfectly comical, that is.

You don't want to have to root for the LA Trumps.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm willing to bet that it's in the CBA that even if the league ends up controlling the selling process, they'd have to conduct the sale in good faith (i.e. not sell the team for pennies on the dollar). Sterling will walk away from this a very rich man no matter how much he cooperates. Still, this has been a long time coming and it's good for both the Clippers and the league.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

haveblue posted:

You don't want to have to root for the LA Trumps.

I would if the new uniform included comically terrible toupes.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
donald sterling's ancestors settled the staples center b4 the NBA even existed and have birthright claim to the team #standwithcliven #bundy4ever

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

hcreight posted:

I'm willing to bet that it's in the CBA that even if the league ends up controlling the selling process, they'd have to conduct the sale in good faith (i.e. not sell the team for pennies on the dollar). Sterling will walk away from this a very rich man no matter how much he cooperates. Still, this has been a long time coming and it's good for both the Clippers and the league.

If the 3/4ths vote goes through, the NBA terminates Sterling's ownership and then sells it themselves- i.e. what happened in New Orleans. The 29 remaining owners would love to get an extra 1/29th of a cool billion for their hard minute's work.

edit: this is just from twitter "reporting", not gospel.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

JT Jag posted:

If he doesn't sell of his own accord, and the NBA owners vote to force him to sell, the NBA would then control the sales process.

Which means they set the price. :getin:

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!
Folks in Seattle are starting to whisper about a Clippers sale to Chris Hansen, who would then move the team north to become the new Sonics.

Is this even plausible as an outcome?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

whitey delenda est posted:

donald sterling's ancestors settled the staples center b4 the NBA even existed and have birthright claim to the team #standwithcliven #bundy4ever
I wanted to sarcastically agree with this but Sterling bought the Clippers after the formation of the modern NBA by every measure.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BuckT.Trend posted:

Folks in Seattle are starting to whisper about a Clippers sale to Chris Hansen, who would then move the team north to become the new Sonics.

No. Anyone who moves a basketball franchise out of L.A. would be a world-class idiot. Especially with the new media deal impending.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mdemone posted:

If he doesn't sell of his own accord, and the NBA owners vote to force him to sell, the NBA would then control the sales process.

Which means they set the price. :getin:

Which will still be restrained by shareholder protections. And even if the lawyer who drafted the charter was criminally incompetent and didn't include them, it would be trivially easy to win the lawsuit to force the price to be appropriate to market valuation in defense of shareholder interests.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The thread in SAS just copy/pasted a tweet indicating that had the NBAPA not been happy with Silver's ruling, there would've been a boycott of tonight's game.

I cannot believe that almost just happened.

edit: tweet in question

Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports 11m
Had NBPA been unhappy with ruling, players would've boycotted tonight's playoff games.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

BuckT.Trend posted:

It's nice to see that the people of Seattle haven't lost their completely unfounded optimism since I moved away.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

BuckT.Trend posted:

No.

The team's biggest value comes from it being located in LA, and even if the Seattle ownership group that tried to pull the Kings away paid the inflated price for an LA team, the league would basically never approve a relocation away from LA.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Fried Chicken posted:

Which will still be restrained by shareholder protections. And even if the lawyer who drafted the charter was criminally incompetent and didn't include them, it would be trivially easy to win the lawsuit to force the price to be appropriate to market valuation in defense of shareholder interests.

While yes, 1 dollar isn't fair market value, neither is a straight free-market auction value: the league has to approve the owner first and foremost. Its only the highest bid of the 'appropriate owner' that matters, not whatever enriches Sterling's pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

This looks like something that would be litigated to the Supreme court.

Did anyone else catch the press conference? Cue fox reporter with the second question, "since his comments were private, isn't this a slippery slope?"
Silver, "nope. Gtfo."

• Locked thread