Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Funkmaster General posted:

Downloadable "budget" titles like these have notoriously short attention-holding power on consoles. I think by this time next year, the console versions' track central will be limited to a very slow trickle of content from the more hardcore track designers, while the PC version will still be seeing decent flow.

I remember with Evo, every DLC pack released on the 360 had fewer and fewer opponents on my personal leaderboards. If I went back to the base tracks I had a massive chunk of people to compete with, but by Riders of Doom I was going against a single opponent.

Hat Films has nearly 200 Evo videos on YouTube, playing 7 well made tracks per video on the 360. Track central had serious legs on that console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't think Evo's performance on console and PC is relevant to this discussion because Evo was exclusive to one console for almost a whole year. Fusion is out on four platforms all in the same month.

Even if one version had "longer legs," it doesn't really matter because Ubisoft isn't going to wait 3 years between releases anymore. It's not like TF2 or Super Meat Boy where most people forget about the console versions after so long and just play the PC version. A new sequel will be out before that ever has a chance of happening.

edit: As for now, I'm glad I bought the PC version because my leaderboard positions look better. :v:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is the track central that's currently available a rough sketch for what will eventually be available? I can't figure out how to search by individual tags - like "themed" or "retro". I also can't find a way to get the screenshot-style feed whenever I manually search for tracks - its just that godawful wall of text.

That, and the lack of supercross tracks really diminish my opinion of Fusion.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

edit: As for now, I'm glad I bought the PC version because my leaderboard positions look better. :v:

Nice position 924, looking good from up here at 420. :smug:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

NaDy posted:

Nice position 924, looking good from up here at 420. :smug:

I just need more time to play! (though the few times I've really tried to beat your track scores have been difficult. :negative:)

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

wa27 posted:

I don't think Evo's performance on console and PC is relevant to this discussion because Evo was exclusive to one console for almost a whole year. Fusion is out on four platforms all in the same month.

Even if one version had "longer legs," it doesn't really matter because Ubisoft isn't going to wait 3 years between releases anymore. It's not like TF2 or Super Meat Boy where most people forget about the console versions after so long and just play the PC version. A new sequel will be out before that ever has a chance of happening.

Aren't you a pretty poo poo-hot rider? :argh: Or am I getting mixed up? In any event, look at it this way - if you had a console version, there'd be even more people beneath you. I bet we'd look like bugs from your rarified position. So small... so crushable... :stare: That aside, you raise an interesting point. Ubisoft want Red Lynx to be a Trials factory, and wonder how that'll shake out. Certainly for myself, what I want are large numbers of official Red Lynx authored tracks that in turn foster exciting leaderboard competition, good track sharing, and the Trials MP that Evo had. For me, they perfected things with Evo, and all I want beyond that is new content. I won't close the door to being surprised, but all I can really speak to is what I think I want right now.

They clearly don't want to gently caress too much with the core mechanics (that FMX currently can be a factor in speedrunning they state was not intentional or desired), but how much can they add around the margins which really adds value? FMX isn't what I'd hoped it'd be, and having got the medals I want I'm unlikely to touch it again - though there *is* something they can build on. They experimented with a different vehicle type in the ATV, and that was a complete bust.

Edit: Also, of all the things that got lost in the mix between Evo and Fusion, small though it is, I *really* wish we could still set 'rivals'. That poo poo was super motivating.

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 29, 2014

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

I just need more time to play! (though the few times I've really tried to beat your track scores have been difficult. :negative:)

Haha yeah I have had more time to be fair. You and Scudly are my main rivals, getting some of the plats has been a bit of a challenge.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

NaDy posted:

Haha yeah I have had more time to be fair. You and Scudly are my main rivals, getting some of the plats has been a bit of a challenge.
I haven't booted it up in a while because of work and DS2 but I'm hopefully going to change that shortly.

I also need to pick up the PS4 version soon because I want to play on some more user-tracks, plus the Vita with Trials is a perfect use of remote-play.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

magimix posted:

Aren't you a pretty poo poo-hot rider? :argh: Or am I getting mixed up?

You're probably thinking of me. I played a ton of Trials 2 SE and then even more of HD. Evolution was fun but I kind of lost the Trials bug by then and there were several goons that were ranked higher. In truth I would have gone wherever most people were for Fusion, but I don't have any of the current-gen consoles.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Dominic White posted:

All that plus online multiplayer still not being in? It feels a bit rushed. I've lost count of how many times my rider has glitched out even on easy tracks. Landing hard causes your skeleton to break or merge with the bike.

Please don't complain about crashing hard wrecking the models; that was in Evo too and is a hilarious feature. I wrecked so hard once, the tire split off from the bike, somehow merged with my neck, and my rider was spinning in a very slow circle on the ground (because the wheel was still spinning and dragging around the ragdoll).

re: tricks
I can reliably hit tricks if my bike is pointed in a compass direction, then I hold the trick direction I want, THEN spin the bike around and do crazy poo poo. It's not perfect, but once I start a trick and have it register, the additional tricks/modifiers stick as well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

112 faults on Icebreaker in 7 minutes.

I hate this game.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

gibbed posted:

I didn't make this, but it's very useful.

FMX cheat sheet:

Quotin' this for usefulness.

Another argument for leaving broken bikes when you land in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIIEJzwj3Sw

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

mr. nobody posted:

Please don't complain about crashing hard wrecking the models; that was in Evo too and is a hilarious feature. I wrecked so hard once, the tire split off from the bike, somehow merged with my neck, and my rider was spinning in a very slow circle on the ground (because the wheel was still spinning and dragging around the ragdoll).

The problem is that it seems to happen really easily now. I was doing it within about 4-5 tracks into the game, and it often does present gameplay issues as the position of the rider model is physically calculated.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

For me it only happens while riding, when I probably should have crashed the landing anyway. So it doesn't bother me to ride along with the rider halfway sticking out the front and his arm flailing because it's bonus time I shouldn't even have on that track. Though if it's happening to you on 'regular' landings that is terrible and you have a point that I would agree with.

I'm 'huffadopolis' on the PC version, working my way through some medium plat medals tonight but I have zero desire outside of the OCD get all the pokemons feeling, to perfect the ATV tracks, what a horrible bike and clunky gameplay while using it.

edit: \/ I also just went down the list and sent friend requests to a bunch of PC players not already friended!

edit2: fair warning if you're in big picture mode: 'achievements' option of main menu shoves you into uplay overlay and the only way out is through mouse or keyboarding it (boo)

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 30, 2014

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Awrighty, added everyone from the PC version Google doc. Looking forward to challenging your times/having y'all challenge mine!

Edit: as for the Panda, once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Just gotta remember it slows down IMMENSELY faster than the bikes when you let off the gas, its heavy weight makes airtime really floaty, and it seems to get its best post-air speed recovery by landing on all fours instead of landing in a wheelie. It's certainly the worst vehicle in the game by a HUGE margin, but it's manageable. That being said, the Panda circuit is definitely on my "welp, got those plats, not looking back unless I'm REALLY bored" list.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 30, 2014

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
In the pc list - KalmahNZ
Added all you pc players from the list so I can feel bad about myself and my trials.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well that's annoying as crap, went to load up Fusion on PC and somehow the game needed to be completely re-downloaded

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

These FMX events are trying all sorts of patience. Love how they only register my "trick" half the time. Calling the system broken would be a compliment.

Oh great, a skill game requiring me to pull off specific tricks. And I can't even watch a replay for any real help, since the ability to watch replays in slow motion was removed too.

The core trials game remains as great as ever, but these "additions" are doing nothing for me. No user-created supercross, a gimped track central...

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 30, 2014

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Narcissus1916 posted:

These FMX events are trying all sorts of patience. Love how they only register my "trick" half the time. Calling the system broken would be a compliment.

Oh great, a skill game requiring me to pull off specific tricks. And I can't even watch a replay for any real help, since the ability to watch replays in slow motion was removed too.
The tricks are random, too! Looks like you'll have to actually learn what they are! :v:

Seriously, though, it's not that bad or hard. Get your bike in position first, THEN do the input on RS. That was a brick wall for me for a long time because I was trying to do the "complex" tricks (ones which involve HCF or HCB) while still getting the bike in place, which causes the Rider to flail about like an idiot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Part of what makes Trials an effective series is how pick up and play it is. There's tons of depth, but i can also hand the controller to a friend and tell him "gas, brake, leaning, go" and he'll have a blast.

The trick system requires you to memorize a non-intuitive list of tricks (can't just press a direction and guarantee a trick, nope!) that, by the way, the game does a piss poor job of explaining. Even after dicking around with the system for probably over an hour, I still get the occasional "Dead Sailor - Zero points" every few jumps. Its infuriating and poorly designed. Period.

And yet I don't even care about the busted tricks system, because that's ignorable. I do care about the lack of variety (both in terms of the general environment and the actual track layouts) in the supplied levels, and the gimped track central.

I don't mind season passes and will gladly pay extra for more content, but Track Central in its current state is broken. To wit...

- No way to search by individual tags like "Themed" or "retro".
- No way to browse searches by the feed view, which allows you to see a screenshot of the level before playing.
- No ability to create supercross levels. Say goodbye to any longevity to local multiplayer.
- The fanbase is divided into four entirely separate camps, creating a radically different experience depending on which platform you're playing on.
- No way to organize levels by number of downloads.
- No way to pull up tracks that were made in the last week/month outside of a nebulous "newest levels" tab.

Unfinished in every respect.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks to everyone who gave me tips about the Big Air challenge, I finally managed to get silver at about 99 metres. Getting a gold seems like it will be another brick wall but at least I can get pretty close.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Awrighty, added everyone from the PC version Google doc. Looking forward to challenging your times/having y'all challenge mine!

Your times are crazy. I don't really want to go back to tracks I've already platted but drat I have to beat you on some tracks.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

NaDy posted:

Your times are crazy. I don't really want to go back to tracks I've already platted but drat I have to beat you on some tracks.
Come 'n get it! My old Trials buddy doesn't have the PC version, so I need a new rival! As a heads up, I'm terrible at the extreme tracks so far, so you'll probably have those for a while until I have a good bit of time to sit down and work at 'em.

Edit: also Icebreaker. Maaaaan, gently caress that track. That first back tire bounce to properly get enough height for the high road after the first four jumps is REALLY harsh timing.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 1, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

It's probably because I'm thinking about it more now that others have posted, but yes the loading time on the garage/rider screen is beyond bad.

edit: PC version, and I also have a(n?) SSD

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 1, 2014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I swapped the HD on my PS4 for a hybrid SSD and the load times aren't bad at all imo

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Robawesome posted:

I swapped the HD on my PS4 for a hybrid SSD and the load times aren't bad at all imo

I have an SSD, 8gb ram, a modern processor/vid card and I get this (to save you the trouble watching it, I timed it and it's 25 seconds to load the garage screen, same for rider screen. Goggled rhino helmet preview at very end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FGCHRCxO4

edit: it loads pretty quickly (couple seconds) once the 25-second first time load of those screens happens, it's just the first time takes forever

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 1, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The insane garage load times are a known, acknowledged bug.

Unfortunately, it was also a known bug early in beta, along with a bunch of others that never got fixed in time for the launch version.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Hell, it was a thing in the 360 version of Trials Evo. It's not a game/dealbreaker for me since you can just select the bike before they load, but you'd figure they'd have fixed that by now. Compared to other issues such as tire glitching, rider/bike becoming some sort of horrid cyborg on really hard impacts, the Coffin exploit, the hardlocks/crashes and general performance issues folks are reporting it's likely pretty far down on the "prioritized fix" list. They've claimed a commitment to upkeep and improve the game beyond the season pass content, so I guess we'll see if they're good for their word.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
After today's ps4 firmware update I suddenly lost my entire friends leader board, I'm the only one on it. It was at least 30 deep last I noticed. I'm also getting no rumble feedback on the controller. Anyone else? About my only option would be deleting and reinstalling.

restarting the ps4 brought the friends list back but the rumble in trials is still gone.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 1, 2014

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

I get that and while I'm really happy for them they squandered their gift and have only recently earned it back.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What's this about a coffin exploit?

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

What's this about a coffin exploit?

The one where using coffin gives you more forward momentum?

e.g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yx7ceqlMA4&t=33s

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

octan3 posted:

Ughhhh that's exactly the reservation I had when I heard they were putting tricks into the game

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

het posted:

Ughhhh that's exactly the reservation I had when I heard they were putting tricks into the game
Redlynx recognizes it as an unintended outcome, and they're working on a fix. They've also said it may involve a leaderboard reset if there's no real way for them to detect it in runs where it was used for an advantage.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Ugh, seriously? A leaderboard reset might be needed, but add it onto the stack of issues already and it's just giving me this real :negative: feeling

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

octan3 posted:

e.g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yx7ceqlMA4&t=33s

Everyone just figured that out..?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

mr. nobody posted:

Ugh, seriously? A leaderboard reset might be needed, but add it onto the stack of issues already and it's just giving me this real :negative: feeling
If there's no way to weed out who was exploiting and who wasn't, then a leaderboard reset is definitely needed. If the scenario "can't weed out exploiters, patch glitch, no leaderboard wipe" played out, then you'd have a bunch of folks at the top of the boards with unassailable times.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

If there's no way to weed out who was exploiting and who wasn't, then a leaderboard reset is definitely needed. If the scenario "can't weed out exploiters, patch glitch, no leaderboard wipe" played out, then you'd have a bunch of folks at the top of the boards with unassailable times.

True, it would just suck to have to redo them all.

Also, gently caress these stunts. I never manage to do the ones I'm trying and sometimes it doesn't hold the drat pose.

I've also crashed in mid air several times while doing a stunt.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Yeah I know, you are right of course. If it's needed it is needed and I would not prefer that they leave these 'glitched' times in.

You probably understand better than I, with your super alien skills, how much of a task it would be to re-do legit leaderboard times though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Am I blind or something? I watched the video and didn't see any noticeable effect while he was tricking. In fact in a couple of places it almost looked like it was slowing him down.

• Locked thread