Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

THE loving MOON posted:

I guess Nintendo is under the assumption that people still go to Best Buy and that it's not a not-so-slowly dying retail chain.

It's a perfect match for the Wii U then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TARDISman posted:

There is pretty much no way for Nintendo to get a positive reaction out of this. It's a fantastic idea and I love it but they're either going to have Brawl and catch poo poo for not having Melee, have Melee and catch poo poo for having a 12-13 year old game at an E3 thing, or have Smash 4 and catch poo poo for nobody knowing what's good for the first few rounds.

It's invitational though, so chances are the participants will be given time to train. And it's obviously going to be Smash 4, why waste the publicity?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I already had three of my friends circle-jerking that Smash 4 is going to be terrible because of reasons and I even had to explain to one how people might be a bit off put/offended about Samus' heels :ughh:. Gamers are loving terrible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah of course it will be Smash 4. I don't think it's supposed to be a real competitive event or anything, it's just publicity and a way for Nintendo to show they support the competitive scene.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
In a couple of years I bet kids won't even play video games anymore, at least, not half as devotedly as older teens and neckbeards do.

All the kids will be playing Minecraft 2 or something

Tracula posted:

I already had three of my friends circle-jerking that Smash 4 is going to be terrible because of reasons and I even had to explain to one how people might be a bit off put/offended about Samus' heels :ughh:. Gamers are loving terrible.

Samus' heels aren't offensive to anyone but those who understand the struggles of gender equality. Therefore most folks would see it and think "They gave a female character high heels! Neat! I can't wait to jump around and look at Samus' boobies :downs:"

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 29, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

They showed a slide of the Smash 4 logo with the word "invitational" underneath it when talking about it. I think that's pretty much all you need for determining which game they're using.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Excels posted:

Samus' heels aren't offensive to anyone but those who understand the struggles of gender equality. Therefore most folks would see it and think "They gave a female character high heels! Neat! I can't wait to jump around and look at Samus' boobies :downs:"

I think Samus's heels are only offensive to people with really lovely thin skin tbh. People who get hung up on them are genuinely hilarious, when playing I don't know a single person who's going to be staring at her feet and crying while she flies around kicking and shooting people.

Edit: Seriously how does having jet heels in which she uses to kick peoples teeth in make her weaker? I'm not saying IT'S THE BEST DESIGN EVER 10/10 but people calling samus a bimbo or whatever is insane.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 29, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think Samus's heels are only offensive to people with really lovely thin skin tbh. People who get hung up on them are genuinely hilarious, when playing I don't know a single person who's going to be staring at her feet and crying while she flies around kicking and shooting people.

Yeah, who would be staring at her heels when her boobs and butt are so prominent!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Funkmaster General posted:

They showed a slide of the Smash 4 logo with the word "invitational" underneath it when talking about it. I think that's pretty much all you need for determining which game they're using.

Wait, I got this one...Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: Seriously how does having jet heels in which she uses to kick peoples teeth in make her weaker? I'm not saying IT'S THE BEST DESIGN EVER 10/10 but people calling samus a bimbo or whatever is insane.

Some people never learned the meaning of the phrase "pick your battles."

I seriously know a person who refuses to watch Pendleton Ward cartoons because she finds them sexist. It's ridiculous.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pyroi posted:

Wait, I got this one...Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition?

Nah, it's totally going to be the best fighter of all time. Injustice.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PantsBandit posted:

I seriously know a person who refuses to watch Pendleton Ward cartoons because she finds them sexist. It's ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, if Samus was portrayed as her Other M self, crawling around crying and clinging to a male character yeah somethings hosed up and I'd genuinely find a problem with it but giving Samus jet boot/heels is just something dumb and silly. She can now fly around and kick people in the face, I can imagine it loving hurts to.

I think one reason I find it genuinely confusing is the same people throwing a fit about it are the same people I've seen ask for Bayonetta who is far, far more raunchier and has been doing the battle heels thing even longer (considering they're y'know. Guns.)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Guys, get with the times. Who uses human opponents anymore? They're just going to stream saltybet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PantsBandit posted:

I think the Zero Suit Samus thing is a problem, but I have to know if that person you know has actually like... watched Adventure Time? Like of all the shows that person could pick

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Guys, get with the times. Who uses human opponents anymore? They're just going to stream saltybet.

Actually let's just go with this.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I know this is a massive derail, but I'm going to have to be explained how Pendleton Ward's cartoons are sexist.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actually let's just go with this.

Does Saltybet even exist anymore?/Do people still watch it?/Do people still donate to it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Volt Catfish posted:

Does Saltybet even exist anymore?/Do people still watch it?/Do people still donate to it?

It's died down a lot (I'm pretty sure anyway) but yeah it's still going. Somehow.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Don't get me wrong, if Samus was portrayed as her Other M self, crawling around crying and clinging to a male character yeah somethings hosed up

Well, we haven't seen her taunts yet...

I know this is a massive derail, but I'm going to have to be explained how Pendleton Ward's cartoons are sexist.

Guaranteed something to do with Ice King and/or Marceline, I bet you

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

Yes, yes, and probably.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I think the Zero Suit Samus thing is a problem, but I have to know if that person you know has actually like... watched Adventure Time? Like of all the shows that person could pick

Yeah I know it's loving stupid. It actually started with Bravest Warriors where she whined about the fact that the female character is a love interest for a male character and the shows are written as young male fantasy. Like any sort of romantic interest being written into the show is sexist. As far as it being from a male perspective, it's written by a male writer so of course he has more experience with being a young boy. Plus the Fiona and Cake episodes...

I dunno, I feel like there are a ton of more important places to get offended by sexist interpretations of women, such as Other M which was incredibly sexist, but Samus getting rocket boots and bigger boobs? It just seems like a stupidly small thing to care about.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Excels posted:

Well, we haven't seen her taunts yet...

Not true! You see one of them in the character reel at the end! (It's just her spinning the whip... gun thing around her like in Brawl)

Edit: Oh god thinking about it now, I can only imagine the reaction if one taunt is her lifting a hand to her ear and you hear Adam. "I authorize you to KICK rear end." or something trying to make him sound cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 29, 2014

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Having a hard time getting hyped up for Best Buy loving up running demo kiosks for a second year running. I'll probably just check out some of the UI stuff and the game in motion from the videos that'll come online from that. Curious if it'll be like the Brawl demos and feature. Reduced roster or if everyone announced will be playable.

Still hype for the game, but the Best Buy event last year was just so badly handled that i can't be assed.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Man, I forgot Bravest Warriors existed, and now you've gone and made me look into it and I've found that there's an episode written by Jhonen Vasquez. Holy poo poo!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I wonder if Nintendo will put a big cash prize or not. What I'm saying is will nintendo embrace esports.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr. Locke posted:

Having a hard time getting hyped up for Best Buy loving up running demo kiosks for a second year running. I'll probably just check out some of the UI stuff and the game in motion from the videos that'll come online from that. Curious if it'll be like the Brawl demos and feature. Reduced roster or if everyone announced will be playable.

Still hype for the game, but the Best Buy event last year was just so badly handled that i can't be assed.

Do they even allow footage of people playing the best buy demos if someone brings a camera? I recall them doing this last year but the only things I saw from it were the videos of Microsoft employees harassing dudes or whatever that whole debacle was.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will put a big cash prize or not. What I'm saying is will nintendo embrace esports.

People show up to the tourney and there's just a long table with various yoshi shaped cookies on display with a banner saying "Yes, We've embraced Esports" overhead.

The perfect miracle, really.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PantsBandit posted:

I dunno, I feel like there are a ton of more important places to get offended by sexist interpretations of women, such as Other M which was incredibly sexist, but Samus getting rocket boots and bigger boobs? It just seems like a stupidly small thing to care about.

For me the whole rocket boots/bigger breasts thing just compounds on top of the Other M poo poo. It's annoying enough they're using the Other M suit in the game and after all the garbage she went through in Other M they decide to pull that as well. On it's own it's not really a big deal and I'm just annoyed moreso than offended by it but it's definitely not good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

horriblePencilist posted:

Link's tether looks HUGE.

I wonder if they've been playing Project M. Shame that the Brawl airdash was kept, now to see if you can still L cancel...

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People show up to the tourney and there's just a long table with various yoshi shaped cookies on display with a banner saying "Yes, We've embraced Esports" overhead.

The perfect miracle, really.

The final battle at the big invitational event will be similar to this, right down to Sakurai picking Ganondorf.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sire Oblivion posted:

I wonder if they've been playing Project M. Shame that the Brawl airdash was kept, now to see if you can still L cancel...

By "airdash" do you mean air dodge? Has this been shown somewhere, because that's a shame.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

I wonder if they've been playing Project M.
Yeah there are a few instances of "Project M did it first" already

It sounds like this will be mostly the same, you can tether even if someone's holding the ledge, but the new 'ledge priority' mechanic will decide who keeps it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dedede knows something.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Why would they remove air dodge? I still don't know what "wavedashing" even is, are they related?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Excels posted:

Why would they remove air dodge? I still don't know what "wavedashing" even is, are they related?

They shouldn't remove air dodge, that's not what I was saying. I don't particularly like Brawl's air dodge system though, because it makes matches drag on longer. Basically, in Brawl, you can air dodge an unlimited number of times per descent, and air dodging barely change your trajectory. In Melee an air dodge lets you move a significant amount of distance, but can only be used once before touching the ground/ledge/getting hit - It puts you in a special fall state like most up-Bs do.

This isn't so much a "melee good, brawl bad" thing, and it certainly has nothing to do with wavedashing (which I can't even really do, but is preformed by air dodging into the ground at the right angle/height essentially), but more that I find Smash most fun and funny when the risk of failure is higher. When people are falling down from the sky in Brawl you generally just have to accept that it's going to happen, and they probably won't mess up. When you can only air dodge once, though, you can spook people into doing it at the wrong time or falling off a ledge or a number of other things that are both exciting as a player/spectator and really loving funny.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Excels posted:

It's not removed, it's just the Brawl Air dodge where you can't dash in the direction you want, you do a mid-air spot dodge as you fall instead. Wavedashing was a spacing technique where you air dodged into the ground immediately after hitting the jump button.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

When's Wario going to show up? I think it would be kind of neat if they did a viral marketing/ARG whatever where Wario takes over and buys out the game. Now it's Super Smash Wario, and all the characters are Wario and all of the pics of the day are about him until the ARG is over. WAHAHA!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think one reason I find it genuinely confusing is the same people throwing a fit about it are the same people I've seen ask for Bayonetta who is far, far more raunchier and has been doing the battle heels thing even longer (considering they're y'know. Guns.)

ZSS totally stole a character slot from Bayonetta

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The best compromise is to revert to the Melee airdodge (one time, momentum stopping, directional dodge), but give it significant landing lag if it connects with the ground. That would essentially render wavedashing useless for everything except maaaaybe sliding backwards off ledges, but Sakurai has already made ledgehogging less effective so it doesn't really matter.

But yeah it's the dodging multiple times in the air businiess that really ruins the pacing, and unfortunately it was confirmed the the most recent Nintendo Direct so :yotj:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Maybe Sakurai played online and kept losing, so he started adding ways to avoid being KO'd, until no one could beat him anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can someone refresh my memory on the new "Ledge Priority" mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

F. Lobot posted:

The best compromise is to revert to the Melee airdodge (one time, momentum stopping, directional dodge), but give it significant landing lag if it connects with the ground. That would essentially render wavedashing useless for everything except maaaaybe sliding backwards off ledges, but Sakurai has already made ledgehogging less effective so it doesn't really matter.

But yeah it's the dodging multiple times in the air businiess that really ruins the pacing, and unfortunately it was confirmed the the most recent Nintendo Direct so :yotj:

Yeah I'm really not sad to see wavedashing go (though I'm not really happy either? I just sort of don't care), but booooo multiple air dodges. Still excited, maybe there's notable delay on how often you can dodge.

• Locked thread