Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

axeil posted:

The thread in SAS just copy/pasted a tweet indicating that had the NBAPA not been happy with Silver's ruling, there would've been a boycott of tonight's game.

I cannot believe that almost just happened.

edit: tweet in question

Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports 11m
Had NBPA been unhappy with ruling, players would've boycotted tonight's playoff games.

"There is power in a factory, power in the line
Power in the hands if a worker
But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand
There is power in a Union..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
^^^^^Every once in a great while there is a positive bit of labor news like this and it fills my black heart with joy.

axeil posted:

The thread in SAS just copy/pasted a tweet indicating that had the NBAPA not been happy with Silver's ruling, there would've been a boycott of tonight's game.

I cannot believe that almost just happened.

edit: tweet in question

Dan Woike ‏@DanWoikeSports 11m
Had NBPA been unhappy with ruling, players would've boycotted tonight's playoff games.

Woah, no wonder they crushed him. If the players are willing to boycott a playoff game, and will be supported by everyone when they do so, the NBA has no other options.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gerund posted:

While yes, 1 dollar isn't fair market value, neither is a straight free-market auction value: the league has to approve the owner first and foremost. Its only the highest bid of the 'appropriate owner' that matters, not whatever enriches Sterling's pocket.

League approval is balanced against the interests of the shareholders. This is a fairly routine move in business with a huge body of case law behind it. Just substitute "board approval" with "league approval". Trying to gut the sale price to make certain the "right" person gets it will have a class action lawsuit deployed so fast your head will spin. You need a VERY compelling reason to turn down a superior offer on the grounds of leadership.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

You need a VERY compelling reason to turn down a superior offer on the grounds of leadership.
A compelling reason like "hahaha no loving way will we let Rush Limbaugh own an NFL team."

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Fried Chicken posted:

League approval is balanced against the interests of the shareholders. This is a fairly routine move in business with a huge body of case law behind it. Just substitute "board approval" with "league approval". Trying to gut the sale price to make certain the "right" person gets it will have a class action lawsuit deployed so fast your head will spin. You need a VERY compelling reason to turn down a superior offer on the grounds of leadership.

Consider that the last time a BoG sale went through in the NBA there was a +100m bid on the table that didn't go through, to a ownership party FAR less under the gun than Sterling... evidence suggests that the league's interests are very strong in the matter.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Apparently Sterling said shortly before the presser that the Clippers were "not for sale". Really hoping someone tracks him down ASAP to see if he's standing on that. Don't even give him a night to sleep on it, make him show his rear end immediately.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A compelling reason like the players union won't stand for it, just like how they were going to boycott the playoff game, yes. You guys act like this isn't going to be handled by the lawyers specifically so no one can point to it and say "they rigged it to cost him money!", because if that happens, lawsuit city.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

AP is saying a judge just struck down Wisconsin voter ID law
https://twitter.com/ap/status/461210558268977152

I know one of the lawyers involved, the
AP story is accurate. The laws were struck down under the VRA Section 2 claims only, not the constitutional claims (though with dicta that they'd have won on the constitutional claims also). Reading a copy of the opinion is my afternoon snack.

Ahahaha: "as the plaintiffs unrebutted evidence shows, a person would have to be insane to commit voter-impersonation fraud."

Kalman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 29, 2014

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
If I were a racist, self-made multi-billionaire and I only spent 12 million on the team back in the day, I would drag this poo poo out to the end and make sure as many people connected to the team suffer just as a big gently caress you to the world. Wanna boycott the game? Go for it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

^^^^^Every once in a great while there is a positive bit of labor news like this and it fills my black heart with joy.

Woah, no wonder they crushed him. If the players are willing to boycott a playoff game, and will be supported by everyone when they do so, the NBA has no other options.

Yeah I'm assuming Chris Paul (head of the union) let Silver know what their decision was prior to his press conference. This is also probably why every single NBA owner is in the process of indicating they'll vote to force a sale. I know I saw a tweet from Mark Cuban and the owner of the Bulls. I'm sure more are coming in the next few hours.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Don't sell the team at all. Reincorporate it as a non - profit with all proceeds going to children's sports leagues and facilities in the LA area.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
So is Rush stepping in to talk about how this is the same union/PC bullying that kept him from buying an NFL team, yet? He has to be talking about this.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

axeil posted:

Yeah I'm assuming Chris Paul (head of the union) let Silver know what their decision was prior to his press conference. This is also probably why every single NBA owner is in the process of indicating they'll vote to force a sale. I know I saw a tweet from Mark Cuban and the owner of the Bulls. I'm sure more are coming in the next few hours.

Yeah, whoever that is. Probably some nobody who's not as famous as Mark Cuban.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

De Nomolos posted:

So is Rush stepping in to talk about how this is the same union/PC bullying that kept him from buying an NFL team, yet? He has to be talking about this.

People only see two sides to any given issue. If Rush starts throwing elbows at the NBA, people are going to think he's standing with Sterling, and Sterling is radioactive right now. I think even Rush has sense enough to give it a week.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Yeah, whoever that is. Probably some nobody who's not as famous as Mark Cuban.

The only thing Jerry Reisensorf is famous for is driving away Phil Jackson after 6 championships because of ego.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

He's currently telling Fox News that he's not planning on selling the team.

If the NBA actually does have 3/4 of the owners on board, he's not gonna have a goddamn choice. Looks like the right's just rallying to him now, though. Clive Bundy's 15 minutes must be over.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

If the NBA actually does have 3/4 of the owners on board, he's not gonna have a goddamn choice. Looks like the right's just rallying to him now, though. Clive Bundy's 15 minutes must be over.

Got a link to examples? My blood pressure is to low right now

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Don't sell the team at all. Reincorporate it as a non - profit with all proceeds going to children's sports leagues and facilities in the LA area.

Sell it to the players and make it a co-op :getin:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

Also if the story about armed checkpoints is true, Bundy's going to lose the small portion of the right that can at least see reality from where they're standing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of Californians, Senator Barbara Boxer just tried to make a hip-hop joke on the Senate floor.

quote:

"Suppose the other side had had taken that attitude, don't raise it," Boxer said, according to a transcript. "Well, it would still be, I guess, a buck an hour -- 50 cents if you were kids. Today 50 Cents is a singing group. Am I right about that? Okay. So here's where we are. Instead we've raised the minimum wage over and over and over again."

Personally, I think this could be solved by taxing the Cash Money Millionaires at a higher rate.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

The Governor (who they're trying to impeach) vetoed it last year, so the Missouri House decided to try again and has passed a law banning state and local officials from adopting any policy tied to Agenda 21.

And, sure, it was adopted by the UN in 1992, but they're gonna seize all that sweet, sweet Missouri land aaaaaaaany day now, so we must remain vigilant!

Not to get too far off of NBA chat but as a proud Missourian I'm concerned. Haven't really gone into depth on agenda 21 but seems like its mostly a bigass guidance document for sustainable development. You know, guidance on crazy things like providing sewer and safe drinking water to developments or policy that would prevent your neighbor on the hill from dumping poo poo tons of runoff on your land. Literally everything in a City's zoning/development code could be tied back to this some how.

So if this should pass wouldn't it effectively nullify most city's code and zoning regs? Can I, as a developer, start cramming trailer houses next to the McMansion down the block and casually direct the sewer to discharge to their pool?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Joementum posted:

Speaking of Californians, Senator Barbara Boxer just tried to make a hip-hop joke on the Senate floor.

Personally, I think this could be solved by taxing the Cash Money Millionaires at a higher rate.

What's the marginal tax rate for someone making over a Chamillion dollars a year, anyway?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

fishhooked posted:

So if this should pass wouldn't it effectively nullify most city's code and zoning regs? Can I, as a developer, start cramming trailer houses next to the McMansion down the block and casually direct the sewer to discharge to their pool?
Naw, they'd hire Pinkertons to kill you. You could dump it into the children's playground though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fried Chicken posted:

Check the twitter link's responses for one.

EDIT: Also: Eric Bolling sounds like someone who needs to become acquainted with reality, stat.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 29, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

protastic posted:

Tanks are possibly the worst kind of armed response anyone could give these people. Actual operational problems aside, can you imagine the massive persecution boner it would give the far right? They'd start painting this batshit militia as the American equivalent of Tank Man.

I don't want to be an armchair general either, but I know we've got plenty of response options that aren't "point cannons at them until they give up." Probably a fair few that have less chance of turning into Waco, too.

They absolutely want a show of force on the part of the government, to validate their crazy conspiracy theories and such; that's what this has always been about.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Does twitter weigh what responses it shows based off their profile data if you, like how google does targeted returns? Because I'm getting stuff like

quote:

@FoxNews PERHAPS IT IS TIME FOR THE PLAYERS THEMSELVES TO FORM THEIR OWN LEAGUE AND LEAVE THE PIG OWNERS IN THEIR FILTH.

(https://twitter.com/LibbyLab/status/461221972840419329)

Not #tcot stuff

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So are teams called franchises for shits and giggles?

I keep hearing/seeing poo poo about how the league can't outright revoke ownership without providing some kind of satisfactory buyout to Sterling, but I can't imagine the NBA, were they a franchise issuer, would be so stupid to draft a contract without some kind of allowance for brand protection and prevention from having to buy out racist fucks who paid enough money back when the NBA board of governors was closer to the CPAC committee than what it is today.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Nothing more amusing than watching old white people try to use pop-culture references.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Actually thanks to the Bush tax cuts and favorable offshore incorporation strategies they became the Cash Money Billionaires, possibly Trillionaires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2RZLbkBfDc&t=284s

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Just read the past ~50 posts about Sterling getting owned by the NBA, the Wisconsin Voter ID Law getting tossed in court, and Kerry demanding that other nations pick up the slack so we can reduce our military presence. I lurk this thread every day and this is a good day :unsmith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I will only give a poo poo about that Wisconsin decision if it goes to the Supreme Court. The rest of the loving southwest still has to live with voter id.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Can we just have Boxer have two votes in the senate and fire Feinstein out of a cannon?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I know it is the Daily show, but... like the onion, they have racism covered.
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/full-episodes/a69rw6/april-28--2014---mookie-wilson

I'm racist, but my Dick and my wallet are not. Yep.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 29, 2014

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Old James posted:

They aren't building them in Texas. These are the engineering/marketing/white collar jobs.

Actually, they've been building the Tundra in San Antonio for about a decade. If we can build the Highlander, Sequoia and Sienna in Southern Indiana with no real supplier issues, Texas has nothing to worry about.

From living in both Indiana and Texas, let me tell you, Central Texas' infrastructure is leagues ahead of anything in Indiana.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Can we just have Boxer have two votes in the senate and fire Feinstein out of a cannon?

Boxer just supported this so I'd rather not.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I did not see a lifetime ban on Sterling coming. Props for Adam Silver on doing the right thing.

thefncrow posted:

No.

The team's biggest value comes from it being located in LA, and even if the Seattle ownership group that tried to pull the Kings away paid the inflated price for an LA team, the league would basically never approve a relocation away from LA.
Is there any chance that they can take a page out of the Angels playbook and move to the Honda Center in Anaheim whole still calling themselves the Los Angeles Clippers? The Arena Football team that plays there is called the Los Angeles Kiss (because they're owned by the rock group), the Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim for years before going to St. Louis, and the Angels are considering dropping the long-mocked "of Anaheim" from their official franchise name.

Fried Chicken posted:

Here you go.

Let's go back to some bad news. The party of small government, small businesses, and less regulations on the private sector is trying to make it harder for small craft brewers to operate in Florida. This bill passed the Senate today.

quote:

TALLAHASSEE -- The Florida Senate further watered down a beer bill Monday that has become a fight over control of the state's growing craft brew industry.

The bill, SB 1714 sponsored by Sen. Kelli Stargel, R-Lakeland, has been pushed by beer distributors and retailers to further regulate Florida's exploding craft breweries trying to expand and sell their own brews on premises and also in bottles or jugs known as growlers.

But Stargel on Monday backed off some controversial provisions of a beer bill likened to a mob-like shakedown of Florida's exploding craft brew industry.

The bill would legalize 64-ounce "growler" jugs of beer to be filled by in brew pubs. But craft brewers have been up in arms this spring over the rest of the bill, which would have required breweries selling more than 2,000 kegs of beer a year to fall under the state's Prohibition-era,"three-tiered" regulatory system requiring beer-makers to sell their bottled or canned products through distributors.

The debate has flustered lawmakers for weeks about why the Legislature was wading into a fight about adding regulation to a growth industry.

"Why can't we just pass the growler bill and call it a day," Sen. Aaron Bean, R-Fernandina Beach, said during debate on the bill Monday.

But Stargel said the growing businesses needed to operate under the same regulatory rules as larger companies, which were designed to limit over-supply of alcohol in cities. She won changes Monday allowing larger craft brewers to sell up to 20 percent of their brewed product in bottles or cans to take home without going through distributors.

Breweries that produce fewer than 2,000 kegs could sell all their own packaged beer, and bigger breweries could sell 20 percent of their on-site production in sealed containers to go.

Breweries that sell fewer than 2,000 kegs -- or 1,000 barrels -- would still be exempt from going through distributors to sell their packaged beer, a limit beer brewers called "laughable" because it wouldn't cover the cost of producing and packaging the beer.

Orlando Brewing Company, which produces twice as much as the limit, would have to sell the rest of their bottled or packaged beers through distributors.

"This bill does no harm to anyone currently in the craft brew industry," Stargel said.

But Josh Aubuchon, director of the Florida Brewers Guild, said the bill still placed unwanted restrictions on their operations.

Brewers, for instance, would have a harder time collaborating with other beer-makers outside Florida. And if they transferred more than 1,000 barrels of beer between breweries they owned, they would have to go through a distributor.

"Why do we need this?" Aubuchon said. "Why are we trying to restrict what Florida businesses can do?"

Stargel said that was because brewers were enjoying an exemption meant for tourism-based brewers like Busch Gardens.

“They don’t want any regulation on alcohol," she said. "They don’t think alcohol should be regulated.”
As you might expect, Stargel is full of poo poo. The big brewers would hardly be affected by these regulations because they have the money to comply, despite the fact that their products are garbage. In contrast, craft breweries make better beer and make different styles of them, but they don't have the money to comply unless they vastly increase the price of their product.

And have a couple of bonus articles on the subject:

An editorial by Stargel defending big government harassing craft breweries. The money quote: "First, I want to establish that I am, and always will be, a small-government Republican... [but] the three-tier is the backbone of societal protections against rampant alcoholism of the 1920s."
The owner of Florida's best-known craft brewery will consider leaving Florida if SB 1714 passes.

Some of you might think it's just beer, but this is the perfect example of Republicans loving private sector regulations if they enrich their financiers, and there's no guarantee that a similar bill won't be proposed in other states. Plus I love good beer, dammit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radish posted:

Boxer just supported this so I'd rather not.

Ughhhhhhh gently caress those two.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

So are teams called franchises for shits and giggles?

I keep hearing/seeing poo poo about how the league can't outright revoke ownership without providing some kind of satisfactory buyout to Sterling, but I can't imagine the NBA, were they a franchise issuer, would be so stupid to draft a contract without some kind of allowance for brand protection and prevention from having to buy out racist fucks who paid enough money back when the NBA board of governors was closer to the CPAC committee than what it is today.

There are brand protections, certainly. There are also owner and shareholder protections to counterbalance them. You will see some sound and fury and probably a lawsuit from Sterling, but he is going to be removed from ownership. The new owner will be someone acceptable to the league, but will pay a reasonable approximation of the value. The shareholders will receive a reasonable sum, counterbalanced by the fact that Sterling represented a drag on the business so any loss removing him is basically the NPV of his future horse poo poo. The other 29 owners will all get their cut of the sales price and add it to the pile of money they sleep with "sports hostesses" on every night.

You are not going to see the new owner get the team for $3.50 as punishment to Sterling. The fact that this was ever any contention of this fact has to be proof of those psychological studies showing people can talk themselves into defending things they know are wrong just because someone disagrees with them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Ughhhhhhh gently caress those two.

Yeah I feel ya. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

The fact that this was ever any contention of this fact has to be proof of those psychological studies showing people can talk themselves into defending things they know are wrong just because someone disagrees with them.

Or because not all of us were aware of the legal issues you've pointed out in this regard. You know, whichever.

• Locked thread