Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Honda Metropolitan owners pose a threat to freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1xsENCaQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Finally got a chance to justify the purchase of his shirt.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have been looking for a scooter to ride to work and around town.

I saw this http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4367456847.html and am wondering about it. I did some searches here and read some old posts but is there anything I should look for when I check this out Sunday?

I am also hoping to look at a Buddy 170i Sunday (2013 for 2,300 dollars)

I just want something simple to ride to work, around town, and maybe some back roads, would prefer something which can go 55 which may eliminate the Stella.

Should I look at this also?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4400582065.html

This thread has been helpful by the way, although all the Stella posts seemed to be old

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Ribsauce posted:

I have been looking for a scooter to ride to work and around town.

Do not get a Stella unless you're prepared to do the occasional maintenance on it. Yes, even the new four-stroke versions. I own one and it's awesome, but at its heart it's still a vintage scooter with very old technology inside.

Vespas are great, but expensive to repair.

If you can swing it, and it fits your body size, I'd lean toward the Buddy 170. It's simple, twist-n-go, very maneuverable, and supposedly fast as poo poo once the engine is broken in. It's fuel injected, which means you won't get away with major performance mods without some trouble, but it sounds like you're looking for a straightforward "get around town" scooter, which it will do nicely. Make sure to allocate some money for a back rack, and then beg/buy/steal a milk crate and bolt it on there for a massive storage upgrade.

P.S.: Whatever you choose, learn to do your own oil changes and you'll save a ton of money. The oil change on a scooter/motorcycle are usually quick and easy, and doing it yourself means you can afford to use the good stuff (full synthetic), which will help keep things running smoothly for a long time to come.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I've had motorcycles for years, so I know how to do all the basic stuff. If the Stellas require a lot of messing around with they are out. I am constantly messing with something on my dual sport, and I just want something to twist and go. I had thought the Buddy was probably the best bet as well, so thanks for confirming.

edit

how about this one?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4399888811.html

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 5, 2014

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
I don't want to imply that the Stellas always break down or something, it's just that they're mostly 40+ year old technology, so it assumes a certain level of hands-on care that many owners aren't really able or willing to do.

Kymco is a decent brand, as is Sym. The larger tires also make that scooter a little more forgiving of crappy pavement, at the cost of a little bit of "flickability".

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Ribsauce posted:

I've had motorcycles for years, so I know how to do all the basic stuff. If the Stellas require a lot of messing around with they are out. I am constantly messing with something on my dual sport, and I just want something to twist and go. I had thought the Buddy was probably the best bet as well, so thanks for confirming.

edit

how about this one?
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4399888811.html

There was an article of an older version of the People 250 in Minnesota Motorcyle Montly. They got a bunch of people together, and a newly assembled People 250, and ran it wide open for 24 hours straight to see how far they could go with it. I don't remember what the final mileage was, but the only problem they had was an exhaust bolt came loose. I tried to find the article again, but their site has gone to poo poo. They most have had a crash at some time and lost a lot of stuff.

This is a just gotta scoot review of an older model.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I am hopefully going to be able to look at that People 250s and Blur today (waiting on responses). There is a 170i but it is about 90 minutes away, if it was closer I'd certainly look at it today as well.

I think the 170i is the one I would like the most so I may have to make the drive.

edit

45 seconds after I posted this the lady with the 170i said she would be in my town today with it in her truck to show it to someone else. I am going to meet her now!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 5, 2014

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Ribsauce posted:

I am hopefully going to be able to look at that People 250s and Blur today (waiting on responses). There is a 170i but it is about 90 minutes away, if it was closer I'd certainly look at it today as well.

I think the 170i is the one I would like the most so I may have to make the drive.

edit

45 seconds after I posted this the lady with the 170i said she would be in my town today with it in her truck to show it to someone else. I am going to meet her now!

Good luck!

I owned the Blur 220i for a while, and you would probably be quite happy with it. It's set up more as a "sports scooter" than a fat maxi-scoot, and is a lot of fun in corners.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I bought the 170i for 2,000 today. It is in my garage awaiting the title/tag. I figure if I turn out not to be a scooter guy I shouldn't lose to much on a resell. It only has 280ish miles now. It not being tagged is torture as this is a perfect day to ride.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Ribsauce posted:

edit

All solid choices.

The Buddies are always smaller than I expect (they seemed small compared to my Vino 125 and definitely compared to my Zuma 125), and I'm a small guy used to scooters. Like they're a 50cc scooter with a big engine grafted on. The 170s haul serious rear end. Solid bikes.

The Blurs look badass but the only guy I've known with one, a 220i, bought it new and ended up with a crazy lemon. It would run awesome and randomly sputter, lose power, etc. Two dealerships, one in direct contact with the head tech at Genuine, couldn't figure it out. Genuine ended up buying it back from him with a brand new Stella 4T. I do think it was a fluke. He said it was amazing when it worked though.

Kymcos are solid and reliable. The People 250 will be objectively great but probably more boring to ride than either the Buddy (which is muscle scooter, basically) or the Blur (the only properly sporty scooter bigger than 50cc on the market).

The ET4 you linked could be worth looking at, parts are readily available, and they are reliable. The bikes and parts still carry a premium for the Vespa name, though.

As for Stellas, here's a rant:
I bought mine new in 2008 and it is a love/hate relationship. I love riding it: it's hyper-flickable, shifting is fun, brakes are solid, and the two-stroke noise and smell is intoxicating. But I hate owning it. It requires seemingly constant attention and the build quality is horrible. My speedometer failed three times (then I gave up and replaced it with a digital one), my regulator/rectifier has failed, my ignition coil has failed, the sight glass on the brake reservoir failed and started leaking, every piece of rubber began drying out and rotting away nearly immediately, and a lot of wiring has failed (get used to using hand signals) - all just due to poor build quality. My motor, stock except for exhaust/intake/jetting, has been more reliable than most, but basically everything else sucks. Earlier Stellas were even worse, with time-bomb engine cranks.

And the other side of the flickable handling is an extremely nervous ride that requires constant input to keep straight, the ancient suspension design means it doesn't handle bumps or hold a line in a corner, and the engine being mounted ON THE SIDE means it's unbalanced and the weight is higher than modern scooter designs.

I daily rode it for a couple years, commuting and for fun, and would not really recommend it. It's now my hobby bike and is much better for that purpose. At least they're easy to work on and better-than-stock parts are easy to get thanks to the vintage Vespa aftermarket.

Supposedly, the general build quality has improved somewhat on the 2010+ 4-strokes and the brand-new Stella automatics, but I'm not sure I believe it. They all feel just like mine did when it was that new.

Speaking of: I got a demo ride on one of the Stella automatics. They'll sell a ton of 'em. The paint is nicer than the other Stellas - the metallic paint looks great. Obviously except for being a 4-stroke CVT motor, everything that carried over (handling, front brake, seating position, controls) feels exactly like the rest of the Stellas. The engine could be felt through the whole bike and it sounded like a lawnmower. Power felt okay for a 125, though felt weaker than my Zuma 125 and should get a little better when broken in - the one I rode had <40 miles on it. It has a weird computer-controlled carb setup that makes me wonder why they didn't just spend the bit extra for EFI.

Apparently it's a GY6-derived engine design, altered to fit in the weird short space available. Hopefully that means some parts carry over from normal GY6s as that'll mean there's a ton of performance transmission parts, big-bore kits, and even cams and cranks. A 170cc Stella with a good CVT would be a fuckin' blast. And since they kept so much of the body the same a ton of aesthetic parts carry over from other Stellas and P-series Vespas, including racks and seats. So it may be born into a great aftermarket, but we'll have to see about the GY6 stuff.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Part of me really wants to get a leftover Aprilia SR50 Factory, but where I live needs comfortable >45MPH capability and YouTube vids make it sound like you're riding the world's angriest weedwhacker

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The ability to tune your scooter with a Game Boy is worth it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The ability to tune your scooter with a Game Boy is worth it.

Hold up.... what???

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXK8NHum4Zw

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What oil filter should I use for my Buddy 170i? Most Genuine Scooter filters don't mention that model

Also, are the mirrors interchangeable between models? I need a left mirror but I don't really like the ones I have so I would like some good replacements...any recommendations?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ribsauce posted:

What oil filter should I use for my Buddy 170i? Most Genuine Scooter filters don't mention that model

Also, are the mirrors interchangeable between models? I need a left mirror but I don't really like the ones I have so I would like some good replacements...any recommendations?
Far as I know the oil filter on all Buddies, after like 07 at least I think, are the same. Same filter that goes on all modern Vespas too. 170 just puts the filter in a different place (on the oil cooler).

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
I've been wanting a scooter for a number of years now, and finally pulled the trigger. Lance Havana 50 in "butter." She gets to come home tomorrow -- I'm about 7-8 miles from the shop, and I didn't want to ride it home in potential thunderstorms.

Should I assume the only way to go is comprehensive, insurance-wise? There's a pretty significant difference between comp and liability, but when I crunch the numbers I'll save more than the cost of comprehensive each month purely in gas, assuming I don't take our Rav4 very often vs. the scoot.

Don't think I've ever made a purchase that's made me more giddy. Wife looked at it and went "Hm. They come in red?"

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It's totally up to you, but replacement parts for a Chinese Honda Joker clone are cheap out of pocket, though fixing it yourself might void the warranty.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 22, 2014

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Ribsauce posted:

My gf uses Yamaha C3 mirrors on her 150 St. Tropez, and finds them much nicer.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Although there are a few exceptions, in general there are really only three types of mirror posts: 8mm, 10 mm, and whatever the gently caress Harley Davidson uses. Know this makes obtaining replacement mirrors off eBay very cheap and easy.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Goredema posted:

Although there are a few exceptions, in general there are really only three types of mirror posts: 8mm, 10 mm, and whatever the gently caress Harley Davidson uses. Know this makes obtaining replacement mirrors off eBay very cheap and easy.

Except the right side mirror on the Buddy has reverse threads (which not every bike does) - so does the Yamaha.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

cheesebot posted:

Except the right side mirror on the Buddy has reverse threads (which not every bike does) - so does the Yamaha.

Good point, I forgot to mention that some mirrors have reversed threads.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just ordered these cheap ones from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-REVERS...=scooter+mirror

so I can pass inspection. I will worry about some cooler ones later.

I am excited to start riding this to work. I have a dual sport, but it is old and not reliable so I do not ride it for actual transportation, so this scooter should be a nice change of pace.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Does anyone have a scooter shop in the South Bay area (San Jose) they want to recommend for slapping new tires on my Honda? I might try doing it myself if they have enough tools at the TechShop, not sure yet.

Are those internal tire beads for balancing bullshit or for real?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They are bullshit - most people are saved by the fact that modern tires are pretty well balanced from the factory.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 29, 2014

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I used them in my rear wheel because the tire was fine but the casting of the wheel might not be (yay Chinese aluminum!). Used to have vibration past 40 MPH but no longer do after sticking like an ounce of ceramic beads in there. This was before I learned they make balancers with cones for splined wheels like so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9koGE_HrTJ8

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I got myself a 2011 Kymco Like 50 for $500 the other day with good tags and recently serviced. It seems to have the derestricted boss variator and jet, since it goes to 35-38. A local shop is going to cut the emissions and tailpipe restriction for $75. Is there anything else I can cheaply do to get a touch more power without harming engine reliability?

And second question, the paint is pearl white and I want to cover up some scratches. Are there paint pens available for this color?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

probably drunk posted:

And second question, the paint is pearl white and I want to cover up some scratches. Are there paint pens available for this color?

A white paint pen? :monocle: whoa whoa whoa whoa just slow down there a minute.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
The BMW C Evolution is apparently just now rolling off the production lines and becoming available in Europe and I want one so bad I could pee myself.

It's basically a gundam.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

A white paint pen? :monocle: whoa whoa whoa whoa just slow down there a minute.

Why? Help me!

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Has anyone rode the Sym Symba? I like the look and it seems fun but I'm curious about the half-manual transmission.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

tuckfard posted:

Has anyone rode the Sym Symba? I like the look and it seems fun but I'm curious about the half-manual transmission.

I've got one, a 2010 that I picked up for a grand with less than 6000 miles. It's a pretty good bike.

Compared to my '81 Honda Passport (70cc, 3-speed) it's a ton faster, has a better front brake and really decent suspension. I'm about 250 lbs and the Symba will do about 55mph indicated on a flat road, while the Honda struggles to get much over 40mph.

The semi-auto transmissions are super easy to get used to... I was able to teach my wife (zero previous moto-experience) to ride in about 5 minutes. It's a bit more involving than a traditional twist and go scooter, but fun nonetheless.

Hope this helps.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm moving to where I will start having a longer commute than I'm used to (12 miles so not super long), and I feel like using a normal 4 person car for just myself is stupid ecologically. I think a scooter makes sense to me, and because I can charge at work for free an electric scooter sounds even more sensible.

Are there any brands with electric scooters worth looking at? I will be on roads with 25 mph speed limits for the most part, so I'd like something that can do at least 30 mph. When I type in electric scooter into google, I get far more of the kiddy standup scooters that don't make sense for commuting.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

I'm moving to where I will start having a longer commute than I'm used to (12 miles so not super long), and I feel like using a normal 4 person car for just myself is stupid ecologically. I think a scooter makes sense to me, and because I can charge at work for free an electric scooter sounds even more sensible.

Are there any brands with electric scooters worth looking at? I will be on roads with 25 mph speed limits for the most part, so I'd like something that can do at least 30 mph. When I type in electric scooter into google, I get far more of the kiddy standup scooters that don't make sense for commuting.

Not sure about the lower end, but for a nice high-end electric in the US, I'd go with Current Motors or a Vectrix VX-1. Then again, you're paying like $10K for the privilege. Here in the PNW, I know Seattle E-Bike stocks the SEV E-tricks, which goes at 35 MPH and runs about $5K.

Where are you located?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BMW are starting to make some electric scooters but they may be overkill as far as size and budget for what you're wanting. But check them out in case.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Squirrel Burger posted:

Not sure about the lower end, but for a nice high-end electric in the US, I'd go with Current Motors or a Vectrix VX-1. Then again, you're paying like $10K for the privilege. Here in the PNW, I know Seattle E-Bike stocks the SEV E-tricks, which goes at 35 MPH and runs about $5K.

Where are you located?

I think Vectrix just filed for bankruptcy again, so I wouldn't hold up hope for them. Those SEV eTRICKS look like a blast, though. I might have to swing by that place next time I'm in Pioneer Square, I didn't realize they were selling electric motorcycles, too (Brammo!).

Until the bike players like BMW get into it I'm not sure there are any really good electric scooters out right now. The electric motorcycle world is better developed (Brammo, Zero), so maybe you could look into those.

I'm also gonna say that any good scooter will push 70mpg or better on your commute, so even if your electricity is free from work it would take a staggeringly long time for an electric scooter to pay for itself over a gas scooter.

Even if the eTRICK met your needs they're $5,600 and out-ranged and out-performed by many 50cc scooters, and all 125cc scooters, which you could find used in great shape for $4,000 less.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Chin Strap posted:

I know you want a scooter, but 12 miles is nothing on a bike and cheaper.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah if your commute is 12 miles, using a gas-powered scooter is going to cost you about six dollars of gas per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah but a gas scooter doesn't go whiiirrrrrzoooooooom

Edit: In the world of high-end electric scooters, Current is probably one of the best in the US, but the EU gets the ArtElec 670. AND the BMW C Evolution is just rolling off the assembly lines there, but will be coming to the US.

Downside? The C Evolution is 20 large. Strictly for the electric vehicle enthusiast who wants a euro flair. For that price, you can get a Brammo Empluse R or a Zero SR with all the trimmings.

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 13, 2014