Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Maraxus of Keld was huge! Provided you weren't tapped out.

Maraxus was the dumbest loving card ever. "IM AN ENORMOUS BURLY FIGHTER MAN. I GET WEAKER WHENEVER I ATTACK." ~Weatherlight~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm strangely attached to Chromium from legends, but I think my favorite rare that I opened was a Gaea's Cradle when I was in high school. I still have it and most of the saproling deck I built around it too.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Think my first rare was Vizzerdrix. I still have a soft spot for that funky looking bunny.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have no idea what my first rare was because who has time for that nerd poo poo when holy poo poo look at this Scaled Wurm, this fucker is 7/goddamn 6. Look how big these numbers are.

Okay well I was going to reference my Crash of Rhinos card because that was my "OMG ITS SO BIG" card, but when I Google "mtg crash of rhinos" and click the gatherer link it just sends me to a random other card...each time I click back and reclick the link its another random rear end card...

If someone else does that search does it do that hosed up random card poo poo?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

7/6!? That's got nothing on this loving Force of Nature over here.

I think my favorite rare is the English copy of The Abyss that I was somehow able to convince a friend to trade to me back around 1999. I managed to hold onto it during a long hiatus from Magic, and it now gets to live a second life in my cube, swallowing creatures and making opponents' lives unpleasant.

Man, that just reminded me of a local store that had packs of Renaissance. Italian Hellfire was something special.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay well I was going to reference my Crash of Rhinos card because that was my "OMG ITS SO BIG" card, but when I Google "mtg crash of rhinos" and click the gatherer link it just sends me to a random other card...each time I click back and reclick the link its another random rear end card...

If someone else does that search does it do that hosed up random card poo poo?

Just sent me to Kithkin Daggerdare, yeah.

Magiccards.info is generally better for card searchin'.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

First Rare would probably be the Rhox in the Starter set I got. I had learned from a WotC person a year or 2 previous but only got a v. basic "This is how to play" thing, then got the Starter with the foil Rhox.

Favourite rare from my early days, however, was the Dakkon Blackblade I got from buying a back issue copy of the Dakkon Blackblade comic from a local comic shop I knew well.

I traded it away years ago, but recently got to trade for another one (They're all chronicles printings, so white border for maximum nostalgia) and it takes a pride of place in my binder, next to the Protean Hulk and Flash, displaying proudly one of, if not the, most broken combo in Magics history.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

First rares were sengir, shivan dragon and demonic attorney out of a revised starter

Sengir was uncommon at the time, I'm pretty sure starter decks just had 2 rares. He was rare for the Torment reprint though.

My first rares were Timetwister and Scrubland out of an Unlimited starter. Maybe one day I'll have them again.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If we're all just noiseposting our first rares, I'll volunteer my first rares out of a birthday starter were Tundra, Gaea's Liege and a lace (Deathlace, I think)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Toshimo posted:

Maraxus was the dumbest loving card ever. "IM AN ENORMOUS BURLY FIGHTER MAN. I GET WEAKER WHENEVER I ATTACK." ~Weatherlight~

Well, yeah. And he was killed by Starke of all people.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Mercury Crusader posted:

And that's why you don't do steroids, kids.

Honestly almost all of the Weatherlight story legends were terrible. Look at Gerrard for instance - centuries of eugenics to produce what?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The Assassination of Maraxus of Keld by the Coward Starke of Rath

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Tardigrade posted:

Honestly almost all of the Weatherlight story legends were terrible. Look at Gerrard for instance - centuries of eugenics to produce what?

Expensive blocker tapper so your 3/4 dude can I guess hit your opponent? Oh, and life gain, everybody loves life gain! It's a white trait!

Coincidentally, Squee somehow became the best legend of that whole Weatherlight Saga.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I just wish we could get this piece on a real card

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
FYI: Back in the day, tapping a blocker made it deal no combat damage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

netcat posted:

That's not my Hanna!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

My first ever Magic product was a Mirage Sealed Deck, with my rares being Tombstone Stairwell, Daring Apprentice and my still favorite card ever: Catacomb Dragon. 11 year old me could not handle how awesome the badass black dragon was. I still have that same Catacomb Dragon in my Korlash EDH deck.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Expensive blocker tapper so your 3/4 dude can I guess hit your opponent? Oh, and life gain, everybody loves life gain! It's a white trait!

Coincidentally, Squee somehow became the best legend of that whole Weatherlight Saga.

Back when Gerrard was made, tapped creatures dealt no combat damage, so his ability made sense.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

FYI: Back in the day, tapping a blocker made it deal no combat damage.

Ojetor posted:

Back when Gerrard was made, tapped creatures dealt no combat damage, so his ability made sense.

Oh right. I forgot about that. Those situations happened so infrequently with me that I overlooked that.

It was still four mana to do, though.

netcat posted:

What, you don't like laser gun Hanna?

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!
My first rare was Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran from the Ravinca Boros Theme deck. Then my first rare from a booster pack was firemane angel which was perfect for my deck!!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

netcat posted:

Somewhat related, I heard that the Hanna on Fact or Fiction is meant to be a self portrait.

Also my first rare was a Clickslither. I actually won some games with it. :3:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Mercury Crusader posted:

What, you don't like laser gun Hanna?
It's a little hard to believe that she's not a destroyer when she's blowing up a robot zombie with a Flash Gordon laser pistol.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ojetor posted:

Actually, no. Gerrard was in Apocalypse, which was long after the 6th edition rules changes which eliminated the "tapped blockers deal no damage" rule.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Carrasco posted:

Actually, no. Gerrard was in Apocalypse, which was long after the 6th edition rules changes which eliminated the "tapped blockers deal no damage" rule.

Nah man, Gerrard was totally in weatherlight:

The apocalypse Gerrard can activate his ability before the declare blockers step, so that's actually a properly done template shift to reflect a rules change.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Carrasco posted:

Actually, the original Gerrard was in Weatherlight as Master of Arms and the Apocalypse version is a callback to it. And Weatherlight was pre-6th.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
It was Gerrard's look-alike, Master of Arms, that had the rules changed out from under him.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Applebees posted:

It was Gerrard's look-alike, Master of Arms, that had the rules changed out from under him.

I love this part of the thread.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sleepy Owl posted:

Somewhat related, I heard that the Hanna on Fact or Fiction is meant to be a self portrait.

It's not just meant to be, she's got the model photos she took of herself and her partner, Dawn: http://teresenielsen.typepad.com/the_world_of_terese_niels/2012/09/hanna-ships-navigator-the-girl-next-door-.html

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Master of Arms is just some Benalish dude that couldn't figure out how Banding worked.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

My first rare was some Zendikar thing. I imagine it must of been some vampire because I've spent all my time in magic making lovely vampire decks. That or Predatory Urge. gently caress Predatory Urge, I've opened that fucker too many times.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

LordSaturn posted:

It's not just meant to be, she's got the model photos she took of herself and her partner, Dawn: http://teresenielsen.typepad.com/the_world_of_terese_niels/2012/09/hanna-ships-navigator-the-girl-next-door-.html

Nielsen through that link posted:

Above was the version of Hanna, depicted in the style guide back then. At best she's, how shall I say, "the girl next door", and don't take me for a chauvinist, because I also thought Gerrard and Ertai were a wee bit, the "boy next door", until I had the opportunity to create my version of them. : )
:eyepop:
Hello, Gerrard!

netcat posted:

Her art for Sydri is very very similar, which I suppose is a strike against it ever getting back to print?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

netcat posted:

If I had that in cardboard I'd be very tempted to reassemble my Hanna EDH deck even if nobody else found it fun to play against.

Or I guess I could just play it without Stasis or Mindslaver, but that's much less fun for me.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
First rare was a Revised Serra Angel. Yup I'm old.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My first rare was a Mudhole. :smith:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I started with a Portal starter pack my dad bought me at Barnes and Noble. I don't remember what rare it was, sadly. I do remember that the Portal card I wanted the most (and eventually got) was Thing from The Deep. It was huge! A 9/9! All kids are Timmys in some way, even if I'm more of a Johnny these days.

My dad still remembers Thing from the Deep, though. I visit home about once a week and whenever I mention anything Magic he asks if I'm using it. Oh Dad :allears:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Portcullis from a Tempest pre-con with Megrim. :shobon:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I've been thinking about getting into MTGO. However, I've heard from a fair amount of prominent players about the awfulness of the beta client. Is that thing due to be forced upon the community soon? Is it fine to start now and hope they fix that?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Still the most best card.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

AgentSythe posted:

I've been thinking about getting into MTGO. However, I've heard from a fair amount of prominent players about the awfulness of the beta client. Is that thing due to be forced upon the community soon? Is it fine to start now and hope they fix that?

It's not just the Beta client; the problem is that their programming team is composed of crack-addicted chimpanzees with Down's. For example, when you cast Mind's Desire, then cast an Aura from among the exiled cards, the window containing the remaining exiled cards vanishes and can't be brought back, preventing you from casting the remaining cards. I had to concede many games due to that. The bug came out when Mind's Desire was released, TEN YEARS AGO, and AFAIK it still hasn't been fixed.

EDIT: I was nosing around the Wizards site to find some confirmation of the above and found their 'community-maintained' wiki. If you're in the mood to gouge your eyes out with a rusty fork, click here to see the worst wiki in the known universe.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 30, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ScarletBrother posted:

First rare was a Revised Serra Angel. Yup I'm old.

Shaharazad was mine I think, I never did finish a subgame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It annoys me more than it should that the Un cards on Gatherer don't have updated rules text.

• Locked thread