Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I'm sorry you didn't get the "yea two cops are going to throw down in the Thunderdome" answer you wanted, there's an unconscious man on the ground and he needs to be taken care of. People get charged with stuff later probably more often than they get charged at the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Grem posted:

I'm sorry you didn't get the "yea two cops are going to throw down in the Thunderdome" answer you wanted, there's an unconscious man on the ground and he needs to be taken care of. People get charged with stuff later probably more often than they get charged at the scene.

I'm sorry, but Id rather see two officers fight eachother than EVER see anything like

What kinda freaks me out and makes me terribly depressed and angry about their entire incident is that "Observe, document, report" would go out your window in a heartbeat if a bystander would try to (rightfully) intervene.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Yes you are correct that should not of happened. I can't imagine what's going through the other two deputies heads but they should of stepped between Big McLargehuge and their guy.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
What disturbs me is how lonely that cop looks. His vacant stare shows he isn't enjoying choking out that kid.

Who has asked him what's going on in his life? Who has reached out to help him? Who's choking his inner demons?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Grem posted:

Yes you are correct that should not of happened. I can't imagine what's going through the other two deputies heads but they should of stepped between Big McLargehuge and their guy.

My guess is "observe, document, report" and "not my call".

Turning a blind eye to an extremely violent act right in front of them. Cowardice.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mds2 posted:

My guess is "observe, document, report" and "not my call".

Turning a blind eye to an extremely violent act right in front of them. Cowardice.

And the only thing you're doing is writing words about it on the internet. The epitome of bravery :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Alright, this subject has been beat into the ground. The guy got fired and is facing criminal charges. What he did is wrong and everyone is shocked. Let's move on to something else.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I know a deputy that actually got written up for "cowardice" for not helping another deputy restrain an inmate. Not really relevant to this situation but I thought you might find it interesting.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Branis posted:

I'm ok with the Feds going Waco on bundy and his teabag militia
Yep.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I ain;t saying I'm cool with it, poo poo, I'm not that happy with robots blowing people up period, since it violates the first rule of robotics and all, but goose needs to meet the gander

The rules only apply to bots equipped with AI. :smugdroid:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

blue squares posted:

Do you know of any books, preferably fiction but narrative non-fiction works too, that are about the life of your average police officer? Not a noir detective story, but something more like the fantastic movie End of Watch.

Every book I find on the internet seems to be about detectives, whereas I prefer material like End of Watch and SouthLand.

blue squares posted:

Okie dokie, I left for a few months last time, this time it's for good, you're welcome. Won't be reading replies to this either so don't bother.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wrong thread. Why don't we keep the pedantic civ thread bullshit there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

blue squares posted:

you didn't specify idiot and the only reason you weren't banned before was because vas was a pussy about his resource threads

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

blue squares posted:

i thought you quit gip

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Take that poo poo somewhere else. Do not bring that bullshit into this thread.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Grem posted:

I know a deputy that actually got written up for "cowardice" for not helping another deputy restrain an inmate. Not really relevant to this situation but I thought you might find it interesting.

Something like that happened in Chicago awhile back, except the cops were fired.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=4296218

quote:

Two probationary Chicago police officers have been fired for what some are calling "cowardice" in the line of duty. They are accused of running for cover instead of helping a veteran officer who was struggling with an armed suspect at a grocery store earlier this month. A third officer involved is being investigated and faces possible termination.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
:eyepop: wow

I've seen a couple of people freeze up under stress but no ones ever actually "run for cover."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hey Whip, the Park Police flies their air unit around my office in Bethesda a lot, but lately I've seen a similar helicopter flying around but with a Marpat pattern instead.

I realize you likely have no idea but I figured it was worth asking. Is that a Park Police helicopter with a new paint scheme or someone else (usually the only Marine helicopters that fly near my office are the ones used for POTUS and such)?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hey Whip, the Park Police flies their air unit around my office in Bethesda a lot, but lately I've seen a similar helicopter flying around but with a Marpat pattern instead.

I realize you likely have no idea but I figured it was worth asking. Is that a Park Police helicopter with a new paint scheme or someone else (usually the only Marine helicopters that fly near my office are the ones used for POTUS and such)?

Jesus I wish we had a new helicopter. All of our helo's are flying with 30+ year old airframes. Thanks Uncle Sam!

MSP flies a dark gold/black combo Dolfin, so that might be what you're seeing. Otherwise it's some military flight. In Bethesda it could be either one.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

beanieson posted:

:eyepop: wow

I've seen a couple of people freeze up under stress but no ones ever actually "run for cover."

The vet cop was working with IA

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Jesus I wish we had a new helicopter. All of our helo's are flying with 30+ year old airframes. Thanks Uncle Sam!

MSP flies a dark gold/black combo Dolfin, so that might be what you're seeing. Otherwise it's some military flight. In Bethesda it could be either one.

Nah, it's not a Dolphin. MSP usually doesn't fly near us too often, and the only other Dolphins I see are the Coast Guards flying up the Potomac and such. I'm guessing it's the Marines since they're the only ones I can think of that still fly the UH-1N on a regular basis (and is more a less similar to what Park Police flies, that being a Bell 212).

For 30 year old air frames though, they seem to be in good shape since they rarely go more than six hours without buzzing our office.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Aérospatiale Dauphin :getin:

They do a lot of medevac work, too. I hear them flying over the house all the time, sometimes at treetop level.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Mad Dragon posted:

They do a lot of medevac work, too. I hear them flying over the house all the time, sometimes at treetop level.

Yeah, the one time they've flown by my office was when they were dropping someone off at Bethesda Naval Hospital (no idea why someone would get medievacd there).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tentative8e8op posted:

Im glad you agree with me that, if an identified bystander knocked Mr Choker unconscious with an expertly thrown large rock, the thrower shouldn't be arrested.

e, im picturing Mr identified bystander throwing only one rock at the officer during the assault, and afterwards just calmly standing by until police leave.

This is as much a fantasy as "responsible gun owner stops maniac in a mass shooting" scenario.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Handsome Ralph posted:

For 30 year old air frames though, they seem to be in good shape since they rarely go more than six hours without buzzing our office.

There's a dedicated flight mechanic on staff that performs magic on them. The two Bell's usually go up at least three times a day for various calls.

The Bell LongRanger that was used in the Air Florida rescue is still flying as well, but only for training flights.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Mad Dragon posted:

That's pretty much all they do in some parts of Maryland. I forget the statistics but direct Law Enforcement support is a fairly small portion of their flight time compared to medical and search and rescue support. It can depend though on which area of the state they are.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Mad Dragon posted:

Oh please.

Far superior!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Hezzy posted:

Oh please.

Far superior!

Baltimore City flies one of those as their air unit.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Its amazing Baltimore has money for anything at all.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Whip Slagcheek posted:

iirc they get paid a hefty sum by the federal gub'ment to insure some level of safety exists since it's next-door to the capitol and poo poo going extremely South there could be a pretty huge problem, or massive embarrassment for the feds.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

All cities get insane amounts of government subsidies for police gear and it actually pisses me off. I'm like 100% certain we can find a better use for federal money than making sure Bumblefuck County, Mississippi has a new swat truck with a water cannon and whatever else. Thanks DHS defense contractors! :suicide:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Baltimore City flies one four of those as their air unit.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

When residents of the City routinely take potshots at them you've got to have a backup. Not like the County wants to offer support of their helicopters to the City.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
What do you all cops think aobut the private prison industry?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Tentacle Party posted:

Maybe he choked that kid out to send a clear message to the crowd. He probably saved lives that night by deescalating the situation.

Please dont ban me or whatever I am not trolling, but this is sarcasm right? You cannot be serious. I refuse to believe you typed this out in a serious way

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

^I'm almost positive he was.

Fat Marilyn Monroe posted:

What do you all cops think aobut the private prison industry?

It's abhorrent.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2014

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Please dont ban me or whatever I am not trolling, but this is sarcasm right? You cannot be serious. I refuse to believe you typed this out in a serious way

you can't really be that dumb right?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

you can't really be that dumb right?

Are you saying I'm dumb because he was definitely serious?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Tentacle Party is australian, i'm fairly certain they choke each other out as a greeting there.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Branis posted:

Tentacle Party is australian, i'm fairly certain they choke each other out as a greeting there.

Only if it's erotically.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

JayKay posted:

Only if it's erotically.

is there any other way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Branis posted:

Oh okay. Did you know Australians were descended from common criminals? Like all of them except the aboriginals and expatriots.

• Locked thread