Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Gaffle posted:

When's Wario going to show up? I think it would be kind of neat if they did a viral marketing/ARG whatever where Wario takes over and buys out the game. Now it's Super Smash Wario, and all the characters are Wario and all of the pics of the day are about him until the ARG is over. WAHAHA!

They're going to show Mewtwo's silhouette in the next Nintendo Direct and then a little fart is going to come out of his butt and it turns out it was Wario in a Mewtwo costume the whole time. Then it will be revealed that smash releases the next day because Wario has been developed so perfectly Sakurai couldn't stand to keep him from the people any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'd like air dodges to only be used once, but don't take your jumps / UpB away. The number of times I've died while trying to dodge an attack on the ground, only to gently caress up the timing and wind up dodging in midair and dying from something I could easily recover from...

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I thought Sakurai didn't like defensive play? Like he went online and said everyone played too defensively instead of hitting each other. To me infinite air dash just encourages people to dodge all the loving time

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'd like air dodges to only be used once, but don't take your jumps / UpB away. The number of times I've died while trying to dodge an attack on the ground, only to gently caress up the timing and wind up dodging in midair and dying from something I could easily recover from...

The accidental air dodge off the side is the most depressing way to die.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Aston posted:

The accidental air dodge off the side is the most depressing way to die.

Getting stuck under Brawl's FD instead of catching the ledge was also pretty upsetting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Excels posted:

Getting stuck under Brawl's FD instead of catching the ledge was also pretty upsetting.

This is definitely The Worst Smash Feeling.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

TARDISman posted:

There is pretty much no way for Nintendo to get a positive reaction out of this. It's a fantastic idea and I love it but they're either going to have Brawl and catch poo poo for not having Melee, have Melee and catch poo poo for having a 12-13 year old game at an E3 thing, or have Smash 4 and catch poo poo for nobody knowing what's good for the first few rounds.

Just use all four.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Magnatux posted:

Just use all four.

At the same time.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Four playable characters. All Mario.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I vastly prefer fighting games where the fights look cool whether or not you know what you're doing. Smash Bros is exceptionally good at it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I hope they use a build where Marth and Fox are really underpowered. I'd hate to see those guys in the tournament.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

horriblePencilist posted:

I hope they use a build where Marth and Fox are really underpowered. I'd hate to see those guys in the tournament.

Both of those characters are cool actually, as are Bowser, DK, Wario, Peach, Olimar, Mario (which is "Olimar" backwards, for those not in the know), Falco, Kirby, Pikachu, Wolf, Lucario, Mewtwo, Roy, Ganondorf, Zelda, Ike, Charizard, Link, Captain Falcon, Dedede, Metaknight, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Rob, Villager, Samus, Li'l Mac, Sonic, Snake, ZSS, Yoshi, Diddy, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ness, Lucas, Pit, and Toon Link.

Basically everyone other than Jigglypuff.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Countblanc posted:

Both of those characters are cool actually, as are Bowser, DK, Wario, Peach, Olimar, Mario (which is "Olimar" backwards, for those not in the know), Falco, Kirby, Pikachu, Wolf, Lucario, Mewtwo, Roy, Ganondorf, Zelda, Ike, Charizard, Link, Captain Falcon, Dedede, Metaknight, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Rob, Villager, Samus, Li'l Mac, Sonic, Snake, ZSS, Yoshi, Diddy, Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ness, Lucas, Pit, and Toon Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOdabIVj1Xc

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Give it a rest, the aerial queen will reclaim her throne. :colbert:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Jigglypuff does not even jiggle. This character is a lie right down to her core.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Countblanc posted:

I'm not debating the my favorite/least favorite characters, it's that if I wanted to see Marth fighting Fox, I watch a Melee fight. This tournament's primary purpose is for promotional use, so most people will want to see some new characters. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clause demanding 80% of all battles is to contain at least one newcomer.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
So no word on which Best Buys, I'm guessing? I live in NYC, and I seem to remember the Best Buy on 5th Ave. was one of the ones used last time but I happened to be at school at the time.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will put a big cash prize or not. What I'm saying is will nintendo embrace esports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Box01YzekaQ

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oh please, we all know ground-based juggernauts are where the real hype is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJHqOC7tMOw

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Countblanc posted:

It was so weird hearing an FFX remix in Smash that I actually had to pause the video and hum it out to remember that's what it was.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I didn't even like FFX and yet I find myself putting that song over every custom soundtrack I can.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Wild Knight posted:

So no word on which Best Buys, I'm guessing? I live in NYC, and I seem to remember the Best Buy on 5th Ave. was one of the ones used last time but I happened to be at school at the time.

Did they have any of the demos going on at the Nintendo World Store itself in NYC last year at the same time? They might have something going on there again if so.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Countblanc posted:

That match is bland as hell and that FFX Battle theme remix sucks. :colbert:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Countblanc posted:

Oh yeah, gorilla's hype as poo poo and his Punch-Out skin is like the best thing about Project M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyl9fnb34Xo&t=30s

He's a lot harder to play drunk than Jigglypuff though and he doesn't make a funny noise when you slip'n'slide so that takes him down a couple of tiers

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Yeah, here's a better video instead.

Now was that so hard, Sakurai? If your fans can do this poo poo what makes it so difficult for you?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Did they have any of the demos going on at the Nintendo World Store itself in NYC last year at the same time? They might have something going on there again if so.

They did, yeah.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Excels posted:

Now was that so hard, Sakurai? If your fans can do this poo poo what makes it so difficult for you?

To be fair that looks really bad.

Ridley compacted that much kinda looks gross I mean.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So after someone posted that video of a modded Brawl with like hundreds of random characters (from Homer Simpson to an Oreo cookie), I've been vaguely interested in grabbing a pack like that. I decided to look into it today and I'm just sort of confused. I found Brawl Vault, supposedly the site where all this is going down at, and what I really want is just base brawl but with some extra characters and stages, and maybe some more interesting alt costumes for existing characters. From what I can tell, this should be entirely doable, but all the existing packs seem to either be giant idiotpacks like the one in the video with four different ridleys and homer simpson and dumb stuff like that, or just slightly tweaked versions of project M. I figured it seems easy enough to add my own stuff so I'd just grab what I did and didn't want piecemeal but after looking through the site a bit all I've really found are hundreds of nearly identical mewtwo skins. Am I missing something important or is this scene just not nearly as advanced as that video made it appear?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I've never tried grabbing mods piecemeal for that exact reason, it just seems impossible to wade through all the poo poo to get to the cool stuff. I just stick with complete overhauls like Project M and Brawl Minus instead.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
That guy also admits in the video description that the game crashes every 5 matches or so due to all of the conflicting mods. It's actually a lot of work to make a good looking, stable mod.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Funkmaster General posted:

So after someone posted that video of a modded Brawl with like hundreds of random characters (from Homer Simpson to an Oreo cookie), I've been vaguely interested in grabbing a pack like that. I decided to look into it today and I'm just sort of confused. I found Brawl Vault, supposedly the site where all this is going down at, and what I really want is just base brawl but with some extra characters and stages, and maybe some more interesting alt costumes for existing characters. From what I can tell, this should be entirely doable, but all the existing packs seem to either be giant idiotpacks like the one in the video with four different ridleys and homer simpson and dumb stuff like that, or just slightly tweaked versions of project M. I figured it seems easy enough to add my own stuff so I'd just grab what I did and didn't want piecemeal but after looking through the site a bit all I've really found are hundreds of nearly identical mewtwo skins. Am I missing something important or is this scene just not nearly as advanced as that video made it appear?

I just tried out the Project M last week and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Vanilla PM 3.0 comes with Roy, Mewtwo, and the Pokemon split into individual characters. I spent some time with my roommate swapping out characters and textures and it's pretty easy to do. Two days ago we realized you could use a costume manager instead of replacing the files by hand, so it got even easier by becoming drag and drop.

Not sure how :filez: sharing modified PM source is, though.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Excels posted:

I'm all for Ridley in Smash, but this video is definitely not an argument in favor of how that can work well.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Just a heads up, Nintendo did an e3 Wii-U promotion once before at Best Buy, and it was only at SELECT (very few) Best Buys. (I think it was "E3 at Best Buy 2013") A Nintendo rep was there to monitor the equipment so no "data mining" occured. I hope this isn't the case, but the probability is high that they will do a similar thing here. For me, I think I would have to have driven for hours to get to a participating location. Some states only had a single Best Buy doing the promotion.

Also, this whole invitational is a little weird. I'm glad they are doing it, but how are you going to get invited? Are they only going to allow so many people?

Let's hope it is cool.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Spectacle Rock posted:

Just a heads up, Nintendo did a big Wii-U promotion once before at Best Buy, and it was only at SELECT Best Buys. A Nintendo rep was there to monitor the equipment so no "data mining" occured. I hope this isn't the case, but the probability is high that they will do a similar thing here. For me, I think I would have to have driven for hours to get to a participating location. Some states only had a single Best Buy doing the promotion.

Also, this whole invitational is a little weird. I'm glad they are doing it, but how are you going to get invited? Are they only going to allow so many people?

Let's hope it is cool.

Dota 2 had an invitational tournament before the game was even out of closed beta, they sent advanced copies and probably gigantic NDAs to select teams to practice with before the tournament. Nintendo is probably doing the same thing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Excels posted:

If I were Sakurai and someone on my dev team told me Ridley should be in the game I would show them this video to dissuade them. :pwn:

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

Let's hope it is cool.

According to the press release it's a 16-man tournament. I imagine they're going to pick very well known and influential players in the Smash community, get them to sign an NDA, give them time to train the new game, and let them show off the game to the community. At least, that's what I hoping. This is an excellent opportunity for Nintendo to win back the competitive Smash scene after they were burned by Brawl, as stuff like For Glory mode suggests that they want to.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Excels posted:

2small

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Well I think it works, it would satisfy most people if it were done by professionals.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I'm hoping they do something special at the end of the tournament. Like rig it so in the final match the winner is suddenly slammed with a "CHALLENGER APPROACHING" event to show off someone big, like Mewtwo returning or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The winner is the new challenger.

• Locked thread