Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Ugh we have legacy machines for XP that we have to pull off the network soon. You'd think the simulator software companies that we're paying 6 figures per year to keep a handful of licenses current could get off their asses and make it compatible with 7. Its not a new operating system anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

XP mode, sunshine.

What software? I've been doing half of this poo poo for my company over the last few months.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

What kind of company can I work at to not deal with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1G6lNAE_XI

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

None, there are always morons in management anywhere

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I've worked at a couple places that are engineers all the way up to the top. I think that lowers the chance that your immediate supervisor is going to be pants-on-head retarded.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Corla Plankun posted:

I've worked at a couple places that are engineers all the way up to the top. I think that lowers the chance that your immediate supervisor is going to be pants-on-head retarded.

Instead you have to deal with people who rate 0 on an empathy scale and treat you like an assembly line/sack of meat. Not sure that's any better.

It always seems like it's a challenge to find someone who has a good mix of technical know how and people skills in engineer management. Who would have thought...

I personally only know of 1 management-level person at my company who had said abilities. He left a while ago.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Apprentice Dick posted:

None, there are always morons in management anywhere

The sooner you accept this, the better off you'll be. Just accept it and learn to live with it until you start your own company.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Make friends with people at your level and a few above and below and grumble about management together. Works for me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If I go to North Carolina A&T for civil engineering would I be able to get the USDA scholarship?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

KetTarma posted:

My department head shot down my waiver request for taking this class on the grounds that going around the course catalog can weaken the accreditation of the degree.

I bugged my department head and professor about that digital imaging class I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's been added to the EE departmental course catalog as an approved cross-discipline elective. Gonna take it and do some cool machine-vision project next semester. I'm pretty excited. Just gotta get 2 more people to agree to take the class and it's on.

Edit: 1 more

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 7, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I got annoyed the guy continued to argue after about 2 minutes and didn't just accept it then dig for an engineer in company 2 and just change the specs with that engineer later. Hopeless :smith:

KetTarma posted:

I bugged my department head and professor about that digital imaging class I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's been added to the EE departmental course catalog as an approved cross-discipline elective. Gonna take it and do some cool machine-vision project next semester. I'm pretty excited. Just gotta get 2 more people to agree to take the class and it's on.

Hey, that's awesome! Enjoy that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

One of the things I like about engineering is going to cool conferences. Just got back from IEEE T&D show in Chicago and it was a blast. Some good panel sessions, an outrageous number of vendors, and basically 3 nights of partying in Chicago. It is the best type of 'working vacation'.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
The only IEEE conference I get sent to is EMBC. There's usually between two and six exhibitors.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KernelSlanders posted:

The only IEEE conference I get sent to is EMBC. There's usually between two and six exhibitors.

It really depends, some of the conferences from the better journals have gigantic expos where you're just going to not see it all.
Though IEEE and party atmosphere together is something I've never heard before ;)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Uncle Jam posted:

Though IEEE and party atmosphere together is something I've never heard before ;)

It helps to have cool co-workers, be in Chicago, and know locals. But yeah I understand your thoughts.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

spwrozek posted:

It helps to have cool co-workers, be in Chicago, and know locals. But yeah I understand your thoughts.

My co-worker always leaves the last session early to go to his room and read bible verses, so I wouldn't know :smith:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Uncle Jam posted:

My co-worker always leaves the last session early to go to his room and read bible verses, so I wouldn't know :smith:

Ouch... At least you are a tigers fan (that perfect non perfect game made me so sad...)

That seriously sounds awful... I don't think I went to bed before 2am the whole time. Bulls game in a box, Wrigley at one of those places across the street with all you can eat and drink, good bars after. I am not shy about having fun.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

Does anyone have recommendations for reference books/text books or learning materials for me to get my head around industrial refrigeration/freezing (ammonia based and whatever the alternatives are) also a similar thing for pumps and how to choose a pump for various applications.

I'm in food manufacturing and these are some pretty big holes in my knowledge.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 10, 2023

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I have several friends who have worked at SpaceX (and have all eventually left because it was destroying their lives). Be prepared for long hours, lots of stress, alcoholic coworkers, and not much work-life balance.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

I have several friends who have worked at SpaceX (and have all eventually left because it was destroying their lives). Be prepared for long hours, lots of stress, alcoholic coworkers, and not much work-life balance.

This sounds accurate, one of our senior SW guys here was at SpaceX earlier on, said essentially the same thing. The "love what you do!" thing is probably prevalent there, but at some point you weigh that against your sanity and having a healthy life.

You could always join and leave in a year or so, with whatever stock options you have vested at that point though.

movax fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 21, 2014

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I too can vouch for the insane SpaceX work hours. I've heard the pay isn't too great either but I don't know the exact numbers. Tbh though I'd take a job if they offered me one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Would I be hurting myself if I went for an internship in an engineering field other that the one that I am currently going to school for?

Can anyone spitball some companies that would want chemical engineer interns in Southern California? I know of Miller and Tesoro off the top of my head. There is a career fair at my school for the next two days so I will check those out, but I'd like an understanding of what options I have.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Would I be hurting myself if I went for an internship in an engineering field other that the one that I am currently going to school for?

Can anyone spitball some companies that would want chemical engineer interns in Southern California? I know of Miller and Tesoro off the top of my head. There is a career fair at my school for the next two days so I will check those out, but I'd like an understanding of what options I have.

I'm not in the California area but in the Kansas City area larger Civil firms like to hire ChemE's. Usually they'll be part of the industrial site design or wastewater group. The old firm I worked at had ChemE's laying out roadways/sewers almost as often as they would design industrial/wastewater processes. Probably didn't pay near what a ChemE usually makes since us CE's have a lower pay scale

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Any of the big oil companies ie Exxon Mobil in Torrance or Chevron in El Segundo are probably looking for interns. SoCal is pretty big so it depends on where you live.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Depends on how many internships you'll be taking over the course of your schooling. If its your only one, I'd beware, but otherwise it would be fine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

'Lo, all. I'm changing careers from Mechanic to Mechanical Engineer. I'm about to start taking my Calc courses for my AA, so I figure it's a good time to start thinking about internships for next year.

I'm undecided exactly what industry I want to go into. I'm in central FL so there's plenty of aerospace to go around, and obviously there's power generation. I've definitely got an interest in automotive, though, so I'd certainly be open to something along those lines.

Are there any major options I'm overlooking? I'd be open to leaving the state eventually (oh god please get me out of here.) Automotive is something I've got hands-on experience with as it's a hobby of mine, but I'm also a huge aerospace dork who's been interested in rockets since I was a kid so there's that pull as well. Of course, I welcome low-stress, stable alternatives that will let me enjoy that stuff as hobbies on the side.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fucknag posted:

'Lo, all. I'm changing careers from Mechanic to Mechanical Engineer. I'm about to start taking my Calc courses for my AA, so I figure it's a good time to start thinking about internships for next year.

I'm undecided exactly what industry I want to go into. I'm in central FL so there's plenty of aerospace to go around, and obviously there's power generation. I've definitely got an interest in automotive, though, so I'd certainly be open to something along those lines.

Are there any major options I'm overlooking? I'd be open to leaving the state eventually (oh god please get me out of here.) Automotive is something I've got hands-on experience with as it's a hobby of mine, but I'm also a huge aerospace dork who's been interested in rockets since I was a kid so there's that pull as well. Of course, I welcome low-stress, stable alternatives that will let me enjoy that stuff as hobbies on the side.

In automotive on the production engineering side, there are long hours fiddling over nameless parts abound. Can you get psyched about wire harnesses? There are positions that are less draining, but the a large amount for ME is like that. However, internships are definitely the ticket to make sure you don't land in a position like that. There is a heck of a lot of test stand stuff for reliability, evaluation of whole vehicles, crash tests, etc that are a bit less than staring at CAD for 80 hours. R&D is big too but then you start getting into needing a MSc or PhD for that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BeefofAges posted:

So pretty much has startup-esque salt mine hours?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I'm a computer engineering student. Does anyone have opinions on the DoD SMART scholarship, interning, and job program? I was in the military previously and thinking on it, the idea of working for the DoD appeals to me. What are some views on this?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

So pretty much has startup-esque salt mine hours?

Probably with far better pay and benefits though. SpaceX stock also far more likely to be worth something down the road vs. generic web-app #21238.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Apocadall posted:

I'm a computer engineering student. Does anyone have opinions on the DoD SMART scholarship, interning, and job program? I was in the military previously and thinking on it, the idea of working for the DoD appeals to me. What are some views on this?

General consensus is that DoD jobs are one of the last bastion of the 40 hour a week jobs. They are the best for a work-life balance. Alternatively, it's white people welfare.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Claverjoe posted:

General consensus is that DoD jobs are one of the last bastion of the 40 hour a week jobs. They are the best for a work-life balance. Alternatively, it's white people welfare.

If you like a job that's less technical and more bureaucracy and paperwork, you'll fit right in.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Also your co-workers will be old and about fun as a retirement home without a bingo night.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Apocadall posted:

One of my lab mates did it and had his last year of undergrad and all of grad school covered and then some. He has to work for the DoD for like 3 years to "pay" it off but he seems happy at his job and the place he ended up at is basically my old lab in government lab form, so it couldn't be a better fit for him. He did have a strict time limit to finish grad school though, had to really push to finish his masters in 2 years.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Thanks for the info guys! I'm probably going to wait another semester or two to make sure my grades stay up and give it some long thought into if it'll be the right fit for me. It does sound like something I'd be interested in. I'm 25 so being around people that are a bit older sounds nice. The not working on stuff and being more managerial does put me off slightly, but I have had people tell me I'd be good in a managerial position so I guess I should think on it more.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I recently got a job as the only electrical engineer in a sea of mechanical engineers so I'm a bit :supaburn: because of the holes in my knowledge. Though my boss/supervisor are really good at explaining anything that I don't understand, I still don't want to bug them all day long.

Is there anything online that goes over stress/strain, tensile strength, or generally what sort of things happen when you beat up a thing at various temperatures? I'm going to be doing destructive testing this summer, so I'd like to know what's going on. Or at least how to find out. Its more Materials, but all the materials stuff I have access to is about metal fatigue and textbooks from the 70s when my Dad went through Materials Eng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Jyrraeth posted:

I recently got a job as the only electrical engineer in a sea of mechanical engineers so I'm a bit :supaburn: because of the holes in my knowledge. Though my boss/supervisor are really good at explaining anything that I don't understand, I still don't want to bug them all day long.

Is there anything online that goes over stress/strain, tensile strength, or generally what sort of things happen when you beat up a thing at various temperatures? I'm going to be doing destructive testing this summer, so I'd like to know what's going on. Or at least how to find out. Its more Materials, but all the materials stuff I have access to is about metal fatigue and textbooks from the 70s when my Dad went through Materials Eng.

I don't know how it is for MechE stuff, but I've used open course ware for plugging some holes in my knowledge.

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

I STRONGLY recommend the "art of estimation in science and engineering" read. I feel it pretty much instantly made me a better engineer for reading it.