Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SedanChair posted:

I'd just like to point out that this sentiment has been utterly torpedoed by yet another article about a black man writhing to death for an hour by the state's sanction, and another black man lined up to receive the same treatment. :waycool:

They just happen to be intimidating black men! Those intimidating black men, I tell you. They sure just happen to commit a lot of capital crimes.

nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

The government shouldn't have the power to look at a nonprofit organization's charter to determine if it's a sham political outfit trying to dodge taxes but it should absolutely have the power to literally kill a person.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Blindeye posted:

As gently caress people who think we should go eye for an eye on every person they believe committed evil acts.

What has always struck me is that a (more) humane method of execution exists, yet we don't use it. This suggests to me that execution is more about vengeance than justice, which is pretty hosed up.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The government shouldn't have the power to look at a nonprofit organization's charter to determine if it's a sham political outfit trying to dodge taxes but it should absolutely have the power to literally kill a person.

Is that state power a conservative state? This matters.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

kaxman posted:

What has always struck me is that a (more) humane method of execution exists, yet we don't use it. This suggests to me that execution is more about vengeance than justice, which is pretty hosed up.

gently caress that, the only people that should be in prison at all are people that commit physical felonies. As in, did they kill, rape or try and rape or kill another person?
No one else should be in prison. The simple answer is, only people that hurt other people go to prison.
And physical robbery.

Edit:

I would of course add public officials that break finance laws and take bribes. gently caress them.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 30, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Fried Chicken posted:

Even if you are ethically OK with the death penalty in theory, I don't see how you can sign off on it in practice given how messed up our justice system is.

Yeah, the death penalty is just another way for rich people to kill poor people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, the Louisiana legislature moves to make panhandling punishable by up to a $200 fine and six months in jail.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fried Chicken posted:

Even if you are ethically OK with the death penalty in theory, I don't see how you can sign off on it in practice given how messed up our justice system is.

Isn't there some sort of correlation between being white and wealthy and thinking that the justice system is fair?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Teddybear posted:

We might see a revival of death penalty in politics in the next few cycles-- Oklahoma, who was so deadset on killing two inmates that they were going to do a double execution tonight using drugs of unknown provenance after threatening their own Supreme Court, has temporarily delayed the second inmates execution, citing time constraints.

The reason was that the first inmate writhed, struggled, and moaned for an hour before he eventually had a massive heart attack. In front f an AP reporter who live tweeted it.

Edit: NYT article on it: http://nyti.ms/1rM1A5E

a) Uh holy poo poo.

b) Wasn't this the case where the Oklahoma judiciary, having bifurcated courts of last resort, clusterfucked a bunch trying to figure out which court properly had it (or rather, each court tried not to be the one to decide it)?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't there some sort of correlation between being white and wealthy and thinking that the justice system is fair?

I think this is what you're referring to, and this is the full book on it.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 30, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
E: quote is not edit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

One of the OK guys (not sure if it was the one who just went through hell or not) is set to be executed because he raped and murdered an 11-month old. I read an article today and it seemed to say that their appeal to the OK Supreme Court was not an appeal on fact; the guys were saying "yeah we did what we were accused of." In this particular case I don't have a problem with the death penalty but for gently caress's sake can't the state at least get it right (I mean physically, I'm well aware of the giant racial problem with the justice system applying the death penalty unfairly)?

kaxman posted:

Yeah, always has been. There's no proven deterrent component and killing someone doesn't bring the dead back.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

SubponticatePoster posted:

One of the OK guys (not sure if it was the one who just went through hell or not) is set to be executed because he raped and murdered an 11-month old. I read an article today and it seemed to say that their appeal to the OK Supreme Court was not an appeal on fact; the guys were saying "yeah we did what we were accused of." In this particular case I don't have a problem with the death penalty but for gently caress's sake can't the state at least get it right (I mean physically, I'm well aware of the giant racial problem with the justice system applying the death penalty unfairly)?

Yeah, always has been. There's no proven deterrent component and killing someone doesn't bring the dead back.

I can't speak to these cases specifically but just because they don't appeal on actual innocence doesn't mean they're accepting their guilt in fact, it's just that getting an appellate court to overturn a sentence on issues of fact is much more difficult than getting it on an issue of law, if you have both of them.

But of course, compare this draconian sentence for child rape for a rich white guy - rehab and a suspended sentence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New ad from the Employment Policies Institute, which is a "think tank" funded by the restaurant lobby features a fortune teller and Obama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvKXjo0Lew

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The kinds of places most interested in humane capital punishment have tended to ban the practice altogether rather than switch off of other methods to inert gas.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pohl posted:

gently caress that, the only people that should be in prison at all are people that commit physical felonies. As in, did they kill, rape or try and rape or kill another person?
No one else should be in prison. The simple answer is, only people that hurt other people go to prison.
And physical robbery.

Edit:

I would of course add public officials that break finance laws and take bribes. gently caress them.

well good news, if you commit a nonphysical robbery, like say massive fraud that collapses the world economic system, or rig the market price of food to increase your profits while triggering famines across south east asia, or just outright steal 7 billion dollars, you don't go to jail. At worst, you have to pay back 20% of what you stole, and you can write that off in taxes. Same for poisoning the water supply, or running a fertilizer plant so unsafely it explodes and wipes out a town.

Reminder that in Louisiana the prison system is so hosed there is a massive financial incentive to up the sentencing and infractions codes to lock up more and more people for longer and longer

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Isn't Louisiana the one with the prison that re-instituted cotton picking for slaves I mean prisoners.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
GOOGLE-FU: SHAOLIN THEATER

When you can snatch the racism from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

You must train the mind and body to face Internet Racism. This can be done through google-fu.

~TODAY'S GOOGLE-FU SHAOLIN TRAINING~

1) GIS the following image:

Clayton Lockett (left) and Charles Warner.

2) Read the comment threads for each article listed in the first page of results. Read them with your eyes.

Begin!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Lets not kid ourselves here, vengeance has always been part of the justice system and with good reason - that is part of the point. The justice system isn't just about rehabilitation and making sure it doesn't happen again, it is about making the victim feel satisfied with what happened, so they don't saddle up and take their own revenge. The whole codification of law grew out of the idea that you could end the cycle of violence by having an impartial system that did it, rather than having tons of blood feuds. No small part of the legitimacy of the justice system comes from people feeling that they have had revenge, that the person who wronged them has been punished. When you see the "affluenza" kid, or Roman Polanski, or the DuPont family baby rapist, or the wall street banksters get away without being punished, you feel like the system is broken even if those people never break the law again. Vengeance is an intrinsic part of the justice system, and the only way it won't be is if we ever completely change what it is to be human so we don't feel the need for revenge any more.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 30, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Isn't Louisiana the one with the prison that re-instituted cotton picking for slaves I mean prisoners.

yep, Angola

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So Oklahoma cheaped out on every step of this execution then?

The end of the NYT article posted:

Mr. Lockett did register one final protest of sorts. For his last meal, he requested Chateaubriand steak, fried shrimp, a loaded baked potato, garlic toast, an entire pecan pie and a liter of Coke Classic. His order was denied because its cost exceeded the state’s $15 limit, said Jerry Massie, spokesman for the Department of Corrections.

Yep.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well, the use of the most famous LA plantation prison for that dates back to the 1870s, with the land being owned by a former confederate general who leased out prisoners from the state to work his lands. Then the lands were taken over by the state in the 1880s and are used to this day.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

kaxman posted:

Ideally the death penalty needs to be abolished federally and in all 50 states, but at the very least this shitshow should put a nationwide moratorium on all executions and the immediate ban of lethal injection as a "humane" method of execution. People like to think it's clean, quick and painless because it's done with drugs administered by a doctor, when it's just as cruel and gruesome as electrocution when it's done incorrectly.

quote:

In keeping with the untried drug protocol announced by the Corrections Department this month, Mr. Lockett was first injected with midazolam, a benzodiazepine intended to render the prisoner unconscious and unable to feel pain. This was followed by injections of vecuronium bromide, a paralyzing agent that stops breathing, and then potassium chloride, which stops the heart.

This combination has been used in Florida, but with a much higher dose of midazolam than Oklahoma is planning to use. Without effective sedation, the second two drugs are known to cause agonizing suffocation and pain.

Oklahoma and other states have turned to compounding pharmacies — lightly regulated laboratories that mix up drugs to order. Opponents have raised questions about quality control, especially after the widely reported dying gasps of a convict in Ohio for more than 10 minutes, and an Oklahoma inmate’s utterance, “I feel my whole body burning,” after being injected with compounded drugs.

"Humane execution" is a goddamn oxymoron. It cannot be done, and it's beyond arrogant to even try. We might as well go back to using the guillotine or literally blowing people away. As barbaric and gruesome as these methods are, they at least pretty much guarantee an instantaneous death and give those who vigorously support the death penalty what they really want.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

well good news, if you commit a nonphysical robbery, like say massive fraud that collapses the world economic system, or rig the market price of food to increase your profits while triggering famines across south east asia, or just outright steal 7 billion dollars, you don't go to jail. At worst, you have to pay back 20% of what you stole, and you can write that off in taxes. Same for poisoning the water supply, or running a fertilizer plant so unsafely it explodes and wipes out a town.

Those guys too! There is a lot of room for those people. I think you get what I mean.
But, yeah, I would have to be narrow minded and restrict the people I let into my prison. You have to be pretty bad to get in here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ideally the death penalty needs to be abolished federally and in all 50 states, but at the very least this shitshow should put a nationwide moratorium on all executions and the immediate ban of lethal injection as a "humane" method of execution. People like to think it's clean, quick and painless because it's done with drugs administered by a doctor, when it's just as cruel and gruesome as electrocution when it's done incorrectly.

"Humane execution" is a goddamn oxymoron. It cannot be done, and it's beyond arrogant to even try. We might as well go back to using the guillotine or literally blowing people away. As barbaric and gruesome as these methods are, they at least pretty much guarantee an instantaneous death and give those who vigorously support the death penalty what they really want.

quote:

One wretched fellow slipped from the rope by which he was tied to the guns just before the explosion, and his arm was nearly set on fire. While hanging in his agony under the gun, a sergeant applied a pistol to his head ; and three times the cap snapped, the man each time wincing from the expected shot. At last a rifle was fired into the back of his head, and the blood poured out of the nose and mouth like water from a briskly handled pump. This was the most horrible sight of all. I have seen death in all its forms, but never anything to equal this man's end

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

death posted:

One wretched fellow slipped from the rope by which he was tied to the guns just before the explosion, and his arm was nearly set on fire. While hanging in his agony under the gun, a sergeant applied a pistol to his head ; and three times the cap snapped, the man each time wincing from the expected shot. At last a rifle was fired into the back of his head, and the blood poured out of the nose and mouth like water from a briskly handled pump. This was the most horrible sight of all. I have seen death in all its forms, but never anything to equal this man's end.

Always one of my favorite stories.
In a horrible way of course. :/

Pohl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 30, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The Warszawa posted:

I can't speak to these cases specifically but just because they don't appeal on actual innocence doesn't mean they're accepting their guilt in fact, it's just that getting an appellate court to overturn a sentence on issues of fact is much more difficult than getting it on an issue of law, if you have both of them.

But of course, compare this draconian sentence for child rape for a rich white guy - rehab and a suspended sentence.
What I read specifically said they never contested their guilt, at least implying they were like "yeah we did this we just don't want to be executed in a lovely manner." Now the original article I read has been sort of cannibalized by the update and the details aren't there or I would post them.

I'm aware of the DuPont case and if we actually had a *justice* system and not just a penal system he'd be in the same place as Warner.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The entire south did that the best they could after Reconstruction ended.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The entire south did that the best they could after Reconstruction ended.

Yeah, I know. The North hosed the south and made it so hard to be real.
In fact, the North hosed the South so hard they can't believe they got hosed that hard.

Blah, you Southern fuckers got off easy.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2014

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GlyphGryph posted:

Ugh. Why do people think this bullshit is an improvement over, like, a firing squad or better yet the guillotine?

Our modern day execution methodology is perhaps seem like one of the most unnecessarily cruel ways to do it.

This is probably obvious, but contemporary execution methods have everything to do with sparing the tender feelings of the public and allowing advocates of the death penalty to insist there's no connection between them and the barbarism of the past. The guillotine would be far more humane than lethal injection or the gas chamber, but those methods are considered "modern" and "scientific" while the guillotine is seen as a relic.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

What I read specifically said they never contested their guilt, at least implying they were like "yeah we did this we just don't want to be executed in a lovely manner." Now the original article I read has been sort of cannibalized by the update and the details aren't there or I would post them.

I'm aware of the DuPont case and if we actually had a *justice* system and not just a penal system he'd be in the same place as Warner.

Every article I read about these two before today specifically mentioned that the man convicted of raping the 11 month old maintained his innocence throughout, so I assume them "not contesting their guilt" is because appealing that way was faster/more likely to result in postponement.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pohl posted:

Yeah, I know. The North hosed the south and made it so hard to be real.
In fact, the North hosed the South so hard they can't believe they got hosed that hard.

Blah, you Southern fuckers got off easy.

Louisiana isn't really even that high for private prisons though:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Would you really want to be in a California public prison?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Would you really want to be in a California public prison?

A California private prison would have the same funding available as the public one minus some percent profit.

I look forward to the death penalty case making it to the Supreme Court and Thomas coming up with something like "When the constitution was written if there was a botched execution it was the duty of the presiding officer to administer a coup de grace. So do that, dummies."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man found guilty of murder after killing two kids who broke into his house.

Oh but you see he was clearly looking to kill someone with his gun and hoping someone broke in so he could gun them down. Totally different from chasing someone through your neighborhood or shooting someone in the face through your screen door because you see those other guys deserved it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Oh but you see he was clearly looking to kill someone with his gun and hoping someone broke in so he could gun them down. Totally different from chasing someone through your neighborhood or shooting someone in the face through your screen door because you see those other guys deserved it.

Also Minnesota vs Florida.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Holy poo poo that guy is loving crazy :stare:

quote:

Prosecutors said Smith's plan was set in motion on the morning of the killings, after Smith saw a neighbor whom he believed responsible for prior burglaries drive by. Prosecutors say Smith moved his truck to make it look like no one was home, and then settled into a chair in his basement with a book, energy bars, a bottle of water and two guns.

Smith also set up a hand-held recorder on a bookshelf, which captured audio of the shootings, and had installed a surveillance system that recorded images of Brady trying to enter the house.

The audio, which was played several times in court, captured the sound of glass shattering, Brady descending the basement stairs and Smith shooting Brady three times. Smith can be heard saying, "You're dead." Prosecutors said Smith put Brady's body on a tarp and dragged him into another room, then sat down, reloaded his weapon and waited.

About 10 minutes later, Kifer came downstairs. More shots are heard on the recording, then Kifer's screams, with Smith saying, "You're dying." It's followed soon after by another gunshot, which investigators said Smith described as "a good, clean finishing shot."

The teens were unarmed, but Smith's attorneys had said he feared they had a weapon.

The tape continued to run, and Smith was heard referring to the teens as "vermin." Smith waited a full day before asking a neighbor to call police.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

loving good. And it looks like Minnesota has a judicially imposed duty to retreat in some home invasion cases even though it has the castle doctrine in statute. So it's different than Florida's lovely loving law.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Jagchosis posted:

loving good. And it looks like Minnesota has a judicially imposed duty to retreat in some home invasion cases even though it has the castle doctrine in statute. So it's different than Florida's lovely loving law.

Why am I not surprised.

Thank Christ. This whole thing was an amazing horror show. Now that man is somewhere he can't hurt anyone anymore.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fried Chicken posted:

You realize they caught the actual killer, right? And that he had tried to get 2 other women in an identical way, but only Levy was unable to get away. I know people like to point out stuff like Scarborough's intern dying in suspicious circumstances, but this is a serial rapist and attempted serial killer who actually did the deed.
Yes, they caught him not long after I was living in DC, believe it or not, though her parents still don't believe it and think Condit knew something (I imagine a lot of people do). Since he lost his political career, Condit had a bit of an axe to grind over people being publicly persecuted. I mean what other possible reason, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The purpose of humane execution is to make it easier on the executioner.

• Locked thread