Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

AgentSythe posted:

I've been thinking about getting into MTGO. However, I've heard from a fair amount of prominent players about the awfulness of the beta client. Is that thing due to be forced upon the community soon? Is it fine to start now and hope they fix that?

You can download the client and play the free trial without creating an account. You get the same account no matter when you sign up. You could try it now, and if it's not worth it, don't put any money into it. You could check it out in a year and make an account then. You won't have missed out on anything.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ScarletBrother posted:

First rare was a Revised Serra Angel. Yup I'm old.

Not to say you didn't get it in your rare slot because misprints and collation errors were pretty common back then, but Serra was an uncommon. You could just as easily got something super underwhelming in your rare slot and forgot about it because there were a shitload of forgettable rares back then.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Promoted Pawn posted:

Not to say you didn't get it in your rare slot because misprints and collation errors were pretty common back then, but Serra was an uncommon. You could just as easily got something super underwhelming in your rare slot and forgot about it because there were a shitload of forgettable rares back then.

It sure felt like a rare. It was probably Thoughtlace or some such poo poo.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Count me among the people that do not know their first rare. I started "playing" Magic when I was in 6th grade (around Ice Age) and had no idea about rarity because they didn't give any indication on the card. I vaguely remember Shivan Dragon and Force of Nature being big chase cards, but the first card I ever chased was Phil Foglio's Goblin King.

Man, I still love his goofy-looking art.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

vOv posted:

It annoys me more than it should that the Un cards on Gatherer don't have updated rules text.

Un cards have no Oracle text.

Still, Rosewater will occasionally answer Un-set rules questions in Blogatog.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ScarletBrother posted:

It sure felt like a rare.

This is true. It was the best creature all the way up until Morphling was printed.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 30, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Count me among the people that do not know their first rare. I started "playing" Magic when I was in 6th grade (around Ice Age) and had no idea about rarity because they didn't give any indication on the card. I vaguely remember Shivan Dragon and Force of Nature being big chase cards, but the first card I ever chased was Phil Foglio's Goblin King.

Man, I still love his goofy-looking art.

Goblin King was among one of the first cards I ever did chase as well, and this was back before goblins really took off around the time of Onslaught and not just as a few pieces you'd put into a Sligh deck. It was a Fifth Edition copy, which had the Phil Foglio art. I'd be using it in my Goblin EDH deck, but my brother got me a Beta Goblin King just recently as a birthday gift, so I'm obligated to rock it old school.

Bring back Phil Foglio's goofy art.

Though I will say that I enjoy the goblin art of Wayne Reynolds. Lots of fun stuff.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My first rare (that I remember) was a Jester's Cap from Ice Age. That thing was awesome. :3:

I remember the guy who taught me how to play trying to scam one off of another new player but I butted in and said something about how cool the cap was and the other guy backed out of the lopsided trade.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I can't remember my first rare either, since my introduction to the game was my cousin giving me his boxes full of old cards he didn't want anymore. I clearly remember pulling a Wrath of God out of a fifth edition pack pretty early on, but I couldn't tell you what the actual first thing I opened was.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
My first rare that I remember was a Rathi Dragon, although I think I got a Vhati il-Dal in the same starter deck which ended up being my favourite magic card ever. Rathi Dragon was particularly bullshit in a set with Common Lotus Petals, as one of my friends learned a year ago when I got back into the game after quitting when Stronghold came out. Turns out a 5/5 flyer hitting the field on turn two can be hard to deal with.

Alris fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 30, 2014

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My first ever rare was Stormbind, with a Zuran Orb in the same pack. I have playsets of both now, but I still recognize my firsts from their patina alone. I still remember splashing red in my first deck (green with elves for some ramp) to play Stormbind, plus activation costs on Shambling Strider.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
So... how often do people actually redeem their MTGO cards for real cards? Obviously it probably doesn't make sense from a pure "Buy online cards and redeem them for real cards" perspective, since somebody would be making a killing at that. But if I'm going to be playing mostly drafts anyway, how rarely does something like that happen?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So they're doing 0 ticket events for MTGO that pay out in real prizes. The catch? Sometimes you'll be kicked out of games or your clock will be manipulated on purpose.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1483

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

So they're doing 0 ticket events for MTGO that pay out in real prizes. The catch? Sometimes you'll be kicked out of games or your clock will be manipulated on purpose.
Can't argue with free.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I am honestly interested in that, but I haven't played MODO since the beta tests back in 01-02. Is it worth bringing my account back to play formats that I missed?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Jonked posted:

So... how often do people actually redeem their MTGO cards for real cards? Obviously it probably doesn't make sense from a pure "Buy online cards and redeem them for real cards" perspective, since somebody would be making a killing at that. But if I'm going to be playing mostly drafts anyway, how rarely does something like that happen?

After drafting/sealed a whole lot during scars block I redeemed the whole lot for Scars, Besieged and New Phyrexia. I can't say I regret it. It required a little bit of trading to get the last few mythics, but I got most of the more expensive ones through sealed/draft.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

GonSmithe posted:

So its like normal then?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bugsy posted:

So its like normal then?

Wizards is actually really good about compensating over client issues / bugs. I've sent in like five reimbursement requests over the past couple years and I've never had any issues getting refunds of inputs.

Obviously not relevant here given this is free, but that's kind of the point.

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010
My first rare was Beast Walkers :saddowns:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Bugsy posted:

So its like normal then?

I've always received compensation for issues within 24 hours throughout three or so years of using modo so I wouldn't go with normal really.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Zorak posted:

Wizards is actually really good about compensating over client issues / bugs. I've sent in like five reimbursement requests over the past couple years and I've never had any issues getting refunds of inputs.

Obviously not relevant here given this is free, but that's kind of the point.

I've gotten much, much more than 5. Just chiming in to say that.

redux
Apr 23, 2008
Is MODO down right now? I was in a daily and noticed I was likely disconnected, and now I can't log back in. Can't seem to get the Wizards website to open either.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

redux posted:

Is MODO down right now? I was in a daily and noticed I was likely disconnected, and now I can't log back in. Can't seem to get the Wizards website to open either.

Works fine for me, it's probably you.

If this happens in the future, use downforeveryoneorjustme.com.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

redux posted:

What error is it giving you? It's possible you may have to repair your client.

redux
Apr 23, 2008
It was saying it was checking for updates, waited a long time, then failed. It just came back up though, seems like it hit quite a few people so it wasn't just me.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
These free events finally pushed me into signing up for MTGO. I'm only going to play pauper and draft every now and then, because I'm way too broke to be buying the same cards twice, but it seems pretty much guaranteed I'll make my :10bux: back off the free events.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Rollie the Guar posted:

These free events finally pushed me into signing up for MTGO. I'm only going to play pauper and draft every now and then, because I'm way too broke to be buying the same cards twice, but it seems pretty much guaranteed I'll make my :10bux: back off the free events.

I mean, I wouldn't count on that being the case.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jonked posted:

Dealers at least all the time, there's always MTGO redemption boxes on Ebay. Last time I looked 6months or so there were still Time spiral boxes.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

GonSmithe posted:

If I read that correctly, the Shadowmoor sealed events are not phantom? So even if Worth randomly boots you from the event, you still get the cards? Sounds cool to me.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

When do those open for "sign up"

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

When do those open for "sign up"

quote:

While these events don't get started until Saturday, entry will open on Wednesday, April 30, 2014, at 2:00 PM PDT. Hop in the queue and secure your spot!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

My first pack rare was Transcendence. :negative:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Night Danger Moose posted:

My first pack rare was Transcendence. :negative:

I think that was my first or second Torment rare. I always wondered what would happen if you had another "can't lose the game" effect in play and went over 20 life with that.

quote:

If your life total is 20 or more and you control an effect that states "you can't lose the game", then an infinite loop is formed. If neither player wants to end the loop by removing one of these two cards from the battlefield, the game ends in a draw.

This sounds like a dumb EDH idea I should attempt.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Is there a good "gently caress it let's try modo okay what do I do" guide?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Is there a good "gently caress it let's try modo okay what do I do" guide?

Same here. I want to buy MODO for this but I am intimidated by it's controls.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GonSmithe posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about this other than probably angry if this happens to me and I'm actually doing well for once.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Samael posted:

Its honestly not that difficult. I only picked up MODO a month or two ago, so I've never even used the older client. The Beta works fine for me.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Its honestly not that difficult. I only picked up MODO a month or two ago, so I've never even used the older client. The Beta works fine for me.

Can you still download the older client? I really don't want to use the beta one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The actual gameplay in the Beta is fine, but it has weird annoying issues in how the tournament screens work. E.g. it will show everyone being in game 1 of their round even when you're only waiting on one pair, and there's no way to close the game screen after your game is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Samael posted:

Just keep your finger hovered over F6 to pass the through all the useless priority checks and "OKs". If you tap it by mistake and want to have checks again, to counter a spell or play a second main, then hit F3.

Everything else is pretty point-n-click.

• Locked thread