Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Miltank posted:

Is there a good write up for players who are new to the dark souls games? I am doing fine but I don't really know where I should be allocating level ups/when to upgrade armor and weapons.

As of Dark Souls II, you can reallocate points, so don't worry about messing yourself up too bad.

Upgrading weapons is vastly superior to increasing STR or DEX.

If you wanna feel like a pro, put points into ADP till Agility is 100, and abuse invincibility frames to dodge stuff. Else, make sure to grab a shield with 100% physical block.

Armor doesn't really matter. Fast-dodging is way more important than a couple more armor points.

Don't eat boss souls, they can me made into unique weapons or spells later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Hitler is not on that list.

Why would it be?

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

WirelessPillow posted:

Why would it be?

because "but" is on that list.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Out of interest, what are they?

The number I named was more of a joke. As far as I know, you can't be hurt during invulnerability frames at all, except if you get petrified by a basilisk cloud or something. Other than that, I can't really name any attacks that could hurt you in those roll invulnerability frames. But if you come out of those invulnerability frames into an attack hitbox, you get hit, which is why a lot of lingering AoE stuff is really hard to dodge.

I kind of wish they'd communicate the rolling stuff better. It's not really intuitive if you think about it. I wouldn't really want to roll into a gigantic rat that is trying to body slam me in a real fight scenario. I got through DS1 twice without ever really properly abusing the invulnerability frames like I'm doing now in DS2.

edit: ^^^^ visions of horse... but hole

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 30, 2014

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is anyone having luck as a Blue Sentinel? I've been invaded three times myself, once in Forest of the Fallen Giants, and twice in Heide's Tower of Flame. I've been sitting around with my ring on but there is no one for me to counter murder :saddowns:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
"Nazi" made the list, after all. As did "pie".

Other words on the list:
underwear
dork
poke
poop
rtfm (is this an IT forum from the 90s?)

So yes. The censor is an old puritan mother, as I suspected.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

FrancoFish posted:

Old Knight Shield, 100% Phys Reduction. For some reason, they just cut right through my shield. I can't even get past the first pair with 50% of my HP left.

Maybe bleed. All of the enemy katanas deal bleed damage. I THINK the old knight shield has low status "high" element resists, since the greatshield is the reverse. Try a different shield, and watch that status build-up meter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There are a few attacks that effectively can't be dodged by rolling through them simply because the attack has a big enough AOE and duration that once your I frames run out, you're still in it. An example would be the Ruin sentinels crazy spin; if you try to dodge through it you'll just get hit by another rotation of the spear. Barely any enemies have these though, and you can always just dodge away from those attacks anyways.

I frames can result in some goofy poo poo happening, like ending up on top of a giant geeko after it tries to body slam you.

VVV Don't get people hating that place so much. It offers a unique challenge and is really pretty. Dodging soul arrows isn't that hard.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 30, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Shrine of Amana is loving terrible

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, decided to try Lucatiel in Lost Sinner's at intensity 2, and when she's not rubbing her face into water giants she's plunging into the depths. I guess I lose the game of Fashion Souls.

e: The bonfire ascetic gimmick of shields doing literally nothing is awful.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 30, 2014

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

what's the deal with getting driven away from invaded worlds when I use red eye orbs in this version? are babies just scared & quitting a lot more?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Minorkos posted:

The number I named was more of a joke. As far as I know, you can't be hurt during invulnerability frames at all, except if you get petrified by a basilisk cloud or something. Other than that, I can't really name any attacks that could hurt you in those roll invulnerability frames. But if you come out of those invulnerability frames into an attack hitbox, you get hit, which is why a lot of lingering AoE stuff is really hard to dodge.

I kind of wish they'd communicate the rolling stuff better. It's not really intuitive if you think about it. I wouldn't really want to roll into a gigantic rat that is trying to body slam me in a real fight scenario. I got through DS1 twice without ever really properly abusing the invulnerability frames like I'm doing now in DS2.

I'm not sure how it's not intuitive? That's a standard thing in this type of action game; the dodge moving having iframes.

masato tatanka posted:

what's the deal with getting driven away from invaded worlds when I use red eye orbs in this version? are babies just scared & quitting a lot more?

d/c

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

Shrine of Amana is loving terrible

You can roll through those magic missiles. Just when they're about to hit you with one, roll forward and it'll harmlessly pass through you! Might want to grab a bow for those crossfire situations, though.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Minorkos posted:

Ah, that's good to know, then. And I'm quite famillier with i-frame from monster hunter. Why yes I'd like to roll through an attack which physically pushes me away and not get hurt :v:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, decided to try Lucatiel in Lost Sinner's at intensity 2, and when she's not rubbing her face into water giants she's plunging into the depths. I guess I lose the game of Fashion Souls.

Don't bother fighting anything. Run to the boss door and enter immmediately and she'll follow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HellCopter posted:

Don't bother fighting anything. Run to the boss door and enter immmediately and she'll follow.

I'll try that, this is really tedious babysitting her dumb rear end. Especially when enemies more often than not just ignore the fact that I have my shield raised.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

NeurosisHead posted:

Is anyone having luck as a Blue Sentinel? I've been invaded three times myself, once in Forest of the Fallen Giants, and twice in Heide's Tower of Flame. I've been sitting around with my ring on but there is no one for me to counter murder :saddowns:

I was summoned to defend an apostle twice to the Forest, barely got in NG+ so I have yet to invade anyone.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
When you're looking like some massive STR build character, no one expectes a Forbidden Sun in their face.

Every time. I can't wait until I have enough attunment to get TWO Forbidden Suns. :getin:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Oh hello casual misogyny!

EDIT: :laffo: Manikin mask is the best for terrible message screenshots

beefart fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 30, 2014

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll try that, this is really tedious babysitting her dumb rear end. Especially when enemies more often than not just ignore the fact that I have my shield raised.

I just did the run with her: if you sprint past the giants, wait for stam regen and then immediately sprint before the clumsy goobers catch you, you can get to the bridge without taking any hits and they'll all reset, with Lucatiel untouched. Of course, once you're in there she'll just stand there like a loving moron eating hits without raising her shield and contributing nothing, but hey.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Anyone else having a hard time getting summoned suddenly? I keep getting "Summon Cancelled" messages, though I haven't disconnected myself and I'm definitely not VAC banned. I've never D/Ced during a summon or an invasion either so... Server issues?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

beefart posted:

Oh hello casual misogyny!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

alarumklok posted:

I just did the run with her: if you sprint past the giants, wait for stam regen and then immediately sprint before the clumsy goobers catch you, you can get to the bridge without taking any hits and they'll all reset, with Lucatiel untouched. Of course, once you're in there she'll just stand there like a loving moron eating hits without raising her shield and contributing nothing, but hey.

She decided to kill herself by not raising her shield or fighting back or doing anything. Thanks for making this dependent on broken AI, From! It's astonishing how lovely this is.

e: Cool, great, I died during my loving invincibility frames mid-backstab.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 30, 2014

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

RBA Starblade posted:

She decided to kill herself by not raising her shield or fighting back or doing anything. Thanks for making this dependent on broken AI, From!

All NPC phantoms are really good for is being meat shields anyway :getin:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Surprisingly, Lucatiel is at her worst in the Lost Sinner fight. Bring her to the Smelter, Rotten, or Flexile and she'll clean house.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HellCopter posted:

Surprisingly, Lucatiel is at her worst in the Lost Sinner fight. Bring her to the Smelter, Rotten, or Flexile and she'll clean house.

She failed at all of those except Flexile (the first time, it's not possible for me to get her to the boat without her killing herself any more) and Smelter, I think, the first time. I'm honestly banking on me having gotten her at Lost Sinner first time around because if not, gently caress me, I get jack poo poo for these last three hours.

e: The attack that Lost Sinner just did to hit Lucatiel did a 360 and instant killed me. From across the arena.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 30, 2014

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

These gargoyles are the worst, they should have been the primal bonfire keepers instead of sinner.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

It really is weird how loving stupid the npc phantoms are compared to the npc invaders.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Cool, great, I died during my loving invincibility frames mid-backstab.

Pretty sure you don't have invincibility frames when backstabbing anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I give up, this isn't possible. It is not humanly possible to get these god drat retards to not destroy themselves. Not while the game is pretending I don't have a shield.

quote:

Pretty sure you don't have invincibility frames when backstabbing anymore.

Every other backstab I've done suggests otherwise, but maybe I just got super lucky.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool got Vesdalt down 5% health then I got instakilled by an attack I'd never seen before :suicide:

I'd enjoy fighting this guy if killing all his guard wasn't jacking my SM up even more.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wish this released the same time as the console so I could pvp without giantdad builds being standard.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RBA Starblade posted:

I give up, this isn't possible. It is not humanly possible to get these god drat retards to not destroy themselves. Not while the game is pretending I don't have a shield.

Every other backstab I've done suggests otherwise, but maybe I just got super lucky.
Backstabs don't have invincibility anymore. If you want a phantom to get to the door, clear the entire area before summoning them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Backstabs don't have invincibility anymore. If you want a phantom to get to the door, clear the entire area before summoning them.

I have never been hurt during a backstab even when a bad dude is flailing at my back.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
Backstabs do have invincibility frames, they just don't last the entire duration of the animation like they did in Dark Souls 1. The same is true of pulling levers and opening doors as well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Umberger posted:

Backstabs do have invincibility frames, they just don't last the entire duration of the animation like they did in Dark Souls 1. The same is true of pulling levers and opening doors as well.

I must have just gotten really lucky then until right now. Except literally right now, I decided to give it one more attempt for the night and it finally happened. Now I just have to hope I actually did summon her twice before (and had her live).

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Really the npc helpers are just tanks because holy poo poo they can take a lot of hits.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Dress Up Souls time eh?

That thing behind me sure looks familiar. I'm sure there's more like it but that's pretty drat similar to the Grand Archway of the Grand Masonic Lodge of Pennsylvania: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Lodge_of_Pennsylvania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm honestly really getting tired of dieing to invading phantoms that are 10 feet away from where the game tells me they are.