Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

You can sell it and buy an actual Time Capsule.

Or buy a Synology mini and your first hard drive to put in it. And it will be able to do way more than just store Time Machine backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

I'm using a 2010 MacBook with a hard drive in the optical bay. I abruptly got a "eject disk before unplugging" notification and uh... the volume is gone. Nothing in Disk Utility. Anything I can check that doesn't require me to pop it open and fiddle with the connectors? I'm about to try resetting PRAM and SMC. I just find this disturbing enough that I wanted to ask the thread.

edit: SMC/PRAM doesn't help. Weirdness. It's a good thing I got a time capsule like one week ago.

Get a time capsule. They're designed for this stuff. They're great. They're great routers too.

Does the drive show in option boot? If not looks like you're opening it's and playing with the cables! If it straight up disappeared that's more likely to be a cable then the drive itself. Do you have a sata hdd sled?

Also are you sure time machine is backing up your second hdd? Time machine usually only backs up the OS X boot Volume.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Does the drive show in option boot? If not looks like you're opening it's and playing with the cables! If it straight up disappeared that's more likely to be a cable then the drive itself. Do you have a sata hdd sled?

Also are you sure time machine is backing up your second hdd? Time machine usually only backs up the OS X boot Volume.

Time machine backs up both of my internal drives with no additional configuration.

And I've had drives in two different data doublers and with different ODD cables drop out and lose their format for no apparent reason at all. Never have figured out why. In fact, there's one particular drive ( HGST 1TB 7200RPM 32MB cache) that always does this. We carry this particular drive in my shop and I've tested 5 of them, and every time they drop out and completely wipe themselves within an hour of installing in the ODD bay and copying data over. There's nothing wrong with the drives, and they're reliable in any other installation. I don't know what info I'm missing that would explain the behavior.

E: this is in a late-2011 15" MBP.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 27, 2014

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kode54 posted:

Or buy a Synology mini and your first hard drive to put in it. And it will be able to do way more than just store Time Machine backups.

Not a bad idea for him to start looking into building a NAS if he wants to tinker I suppose, I just like the Time Capsule.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

Macofalltrades sells a slightly newer model for $600. Given that they are a retailer, have a warranty, etc, I doubt you would do better than $550 for yours, even with the upgrades (which tend not to affect the resale value much to be honest).
I got no other bites so I sold it for $550. I'm very happy with that!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Obligatory 'grain of salt' included, but potential new Airs next week.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/updated-macbook-airs-next-week/

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
My wife has my old MacBook Pro 13' (mid 2010). Has Mavericks installed etc etc. Today the wifi started dropping and we can't turn it back on. Periodically the fan kicks in to full blast (only started yesterday) and the computer would freeze. Once we go to restart it it would boot but have no image on the screen. About to scrap and reload Mavericks but is this thing done? Out of ideas and 140 miles to and from a fruit stand.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OMGzKakaniz posted:

My wife has my old MacBook Pro 13' (mid 2010). Has Mavericks installed etc etc. Today the wifi started dropping and we can't turn it back on. Periodically the fan kicks in to full blast (only started yesterday) and the computer would freeze. Once we go to restart it it would boot but have no image on the screen. About to scrap and reload Mavericks but is this thing done? Out of ideas and 140 miles to and from a fruit stand.

Pram/smc reset?

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

Kingnothing posted:

Pram/smc reset?

I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OMGzKakaniz posted:

I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks

If that Doesn't work, ideally you would want to test it in another OS before wasting your time reinstalling, but I doubt you have a bootable external copy of mavericks floating around.

Check apples website for a authorized service provider near you. They probably have the same test tools an apple store does.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Open Console.app and see what is getting logged at the times where it's freezing, hanging, etc. Often as not you can pinpoint a problem that way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

binarysmurf posted:

Obligatory 'grain of salt' included, but potential new Airs next week.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/24/updated-macbook-airs-next-week/

12" model makes my bank account tremble

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Heh so I just sold my 2007 Macbook Pro, apparently the guy I sold it to works at Apple retail. He said he has to be early at work tomorrow because they're getting a new shipment in. Guess what that is :haw:

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

awesome-express posted:

Heh so I just sold my 2007 Macbook Pro, apparently the guy I sold it to works at Apple retail. He said he has to be early at work tomorrow because they're getting a new shipment in. Guess what that is :haw:

Macbook Airs with a 100mhz bump?

:laffo:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
It won't be retina MacBook Pros :saddowns:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Housh posted:

Anyone else still using their Rev A 2006 MacBook? Snow Leopard stopped getting love a while ago. Safari and Chrome stopped getting support. I was using Firefox until the latest Adobe Flash update broke flash videos. I have YouTube set to HTML5 but anything embedded on a page is busted. Overall things run really crappy so I have been booting to Win 7 which runs everything fine. I'm thinking of trying some Linux distros to see if I can get something even lighter on the system but Win7 is good for now.

I love this laptop and don't want to let it go but it looks like next MacBook Pro refresh I'll be looking to retire black beauty. :(

Click To Flash is your (and everybody else's) friend: http://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

awesome-express posted:

iPhone socks.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
MacBook Airs are now $100 cheaper and get a slight speed bump: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5662150/apple-updates-macbook-air-latest-intel-processors

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Based on that, I'd think that either the 12" was made up or will not come out before the end of the year or so. Surely they wouldn't bother with a speed bump and then drop those models five weeks later.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flavor posted:

Based on that, I'd think that either the 12" was made up or will not come out before the end of the year or so. Surely they wouldn't bother with a speed bump and then drop those models five weeks later.
They could replace the old $1199 MBP with a 11.8/12" MBP w/retina! I forgot how long I've been wanting that, and that the old 13" MBP was still around.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

japtor posted:

They could replace the old $1199 MBP with a 11.8/12" MBP w/retina! I forgot how long I've been wanting that, and that the old 13" MBP was still around.

I highly doubt they're going to update grandpa's MBP or release any new laptop with a built-in SuperDrive and conventional hard disk. Even if that would be the case, they're also not going to debut/re-introduce the 12 inch format on a legacy product line. If there's going to be a 12-inch, it's going to be an MBA or rMBP(*) first.

(*) Yes I know what you're proposing would technically be a retina MBP, but it wouldn't be part of the diskless product line commonly referred to as rMBP.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just as a note, the price drop does not appear to have happened for Canadian customers, though the speed bump is registering.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Kenny Logins posted:

Just as a note, the price drop does not appear to have happened for Canadian customers, though the speed bump is registering.

Possibly intentional: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/03/ps4-hardware-software-accessories-see-rare-price-increase-in-canada/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I don't really doubt it was intentional, as video games have also had that price differential for a few months now. Oddly, this lack of a price drop made me feel slightly better about the retention of value in my August 2013 MBA purchase, even if the US/CDN differential is 100% bullshit in general.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Apple doesn't adjust product prices upwards mid-cycle, even though currency changes might warranty it. CADUSD has dropped a fair bit since the last MBA revision - I'm not surprised they are declining to drop the MBA price.

It has been instructive to see how they've been pricing iPads since release. It has tracked CADUSD at the time of release reasonably well.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Have any of you held a 12" lately? I forgot how thick they were.

This post brought to you by innuendo.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Apple doesn't adjust product prices upwards mid-cycle, even though currency changes might warranty it. CADUSD has dropped a fair bit since the last MBA revision - I'm not surprised they are declining to drop the MBA price.

It has been instructive to see how they've been pricing iPads since release. It has tracked CADUSD at the time of release reasonably well.
I'm not saying I'm surprised, but the overall CAD/USD trend of price differential sucks and it has sucked for years. I mean, the prices even fell by €100 for EU customers, so it doesn't seem principled.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flavor posted:

I highly doubt they're going to update grandpa's MBP or release any new laptop with a built-in SuperDrive and conventional hard disk. Even if that would be the case, they're also not going to debut/re-introduce the 12 inch format on a legacy product line. If there's going to be a 12-inch, it's going to be an MBA or rMBP(*) first.

(*) Yes I know what you're proposing would technically be a retina MBP, but it wouldn't be part of the diskless product line commonly referred to as rMBP.
...I didn't mean that at all :confused:. I meant a smaller retina model (i.e. like the others, just smaller) to replace the old rear end MBP as the cheap/entry level model, nothing about duplicating its functionality.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

japtor posted:

...I didn't mean that at all :confused:. I meant a smaller retina model (i.e. like the others, just smaller) to replace the old rear end MBP as the cheap/entry level model, nothing about duplicating its functionality.

The reason this is confusing is because you called it "MBP with retina" instead of "rMBP" or "retina MacBook Pro". "MBP" is the term for the old machines with the spinning drives.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
In his defense it's name is MacBook Pro with Retina display.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah retina displays are standard on current MBPs now so I don't bother mentioning it. It's like having to specify that the next iPhone will have a retina display.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I know what you mean, but the non-retina MBP is still "current", so that's all debatable because retina displays are not standard on them and while all iPhones have these displays, it's not like all Apple laptops have them. (They just updated two today that don't). In the end, this is a really pointless discussion about the finer points of what a company calls its products now or will call them in the future, and I see no point in going on with it. It just wasn't 100% clear to me what you meant, sorry.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
No need to apologize. Goons, particularly, have an issue with the official naming of Apple products.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Japtor's avatar makes sense now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FlashBangBob posted:

No need to apologize. Goons, particularly, have an issue with the official naming of Apple products.

Stop calling it an iTouch you heathens.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Stop calling it an iTouch you heathens.

If I hear you call your MacBook Pro a PowerBook one more god drat time…

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
hey guys can you fix my MAC for free

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

hey guys can you fix my MAC for free

Oh God the "MAC" in all caps. I see this all day long from sales reps and it's so hard to just let it slide.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

NeuralSpark posted:

Oh God the "MAC" in all caps. I see this all day long from sales reps and it's so hard to just let it slide.

I see it *everywhere*. I just like to imagine they're talking about the cosmetics company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Also I just got a new job and apparently I have to do iOS development on a Mini with 2gb of RAM. Swapping like a good 3 gigs all the time with Xcode and the simulator running.

Expect me to bother you people about upgrading it soon