Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh well if you want to start talking Zeiss glass...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Yeah! Lets hear about it, I've spent most of my time on Amazon, as far as learning what's out there and frequently used. If you know of any specialty stuff that's really off the charts, I'm all ears.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh well if you want to start talking Zeiss glass...

Am I mistaken, or I have read some reviews of Zeiss stuff that says it wasn't quite as sharp as Canon (or Sigma) equivalents? Despite it costing x10.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

yeah, bullshit they do. all there is are the 200-500mm ones.

HAH - fuckin amazon "fixing" my search for me and I'm not even noticing. I wonder how many people are getting taken on that little charmer

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I think that the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art came out like a micron sharper than the Otus in the center on DxO's score but their lens rating system is weird as hell. Most of the reviews I've seen said the Sigma came right up to the Otus but that the Otus was barely sharper in the corners and about the same in the center. So Sigma seems to have made an Otus with AF for about 1/4 of the cost. Its been hilarious watching Canon fanboys gnash their teeth, talk about how Canon designed the 50mm f1.2 to be soft ~*on purpose*~ and latch on to the one review where the guy got bad AF consistency in one specific situation.

Re: Tammy 150-600 - I think you have to put in a back order or you're never gone a see one come your way. I think every single one that shops are getting now are already promised to other buyers and never make it to the shelf.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I think that the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art came out like a micron sharper than the Otus in the center on DxO's score but their lens rating system is weird as hell. Most of the reviews I've seen said the Sigma came right up to the Otus but that the Otus was barely sharper in the corners and about the same in the center. So Sigma seems to have made an Otus with AF for about 1/4 of the cost. Its been hilarious watching Canon fanboys gnash their teeth, talk about how Canon designed the 50mm f1.2 to be soft ~*on purpose*~ and latch on to the one review where the guy got bad AF consistency in one specific situation.

Re: Tammy 150-600 - I think you have to put in a back order or you're never gone a see one come your way. I think every single one that shops are getting now are already promised to other buyers and never make it to the shelf.

Because the 50/1.2 is such an accurate focus monster of the industry, right? I don't know why anyone would try to justify it like that anyway - anyone who bought the 1.2 was buying it for the aperture, not for it being some monster of sharpness and AF performance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I'd ask to see if there were any really out-there lenses that more experienced people knew of and coveted, but I hadn't seen or read about because they were so outside of most people's budgets.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.0
Or the Kubrick Barry Lyndon-series lenses

:dong:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.0
Or the Kubrick Barry Lyndon-series lenses

:dong:

1200 5.6?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

:frogsiren: 1600mm 5.6 :frogsiren:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JFC it's an autofocus lens :vince:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah! Lets hear about it, I've spent most of my time on Amazon, as far as learning what's out there and frequently used. If you know of any specialty stuff that's really off the charts, I'm all ears.

Never used either but the TS-E 17mm f/4L and TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II are supposed to be pretty peerless.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Hot diggity dog!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

JFC it's an autofocus lens :vince:

Yeah, it's Canon's ultimate dick wagger. They've only made a handful of them, but man that thing must be sweet.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

With the right light, I'm pretty sure I could use that to shoot down a satellite.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

That's great, thanks y'all. And I do mean unlimited funds, I'm just turning over some options in my mind and I figured I'd ask to see if there were any really out-there lenses that more experienced people knew of and coveted, but I hadn't seen or read about because they were so outside of most people's budgets.

Unlimited funds list:
C500 body
14.5-60mm T2.6
30-300mm T2.95-3.7
14mm T3.1
24mm T1.5
35mm T1.5
50mm T1.3
85mm T1.3
135mm T2.2

I'm pretty sure just the primes and body will push you past $50k, the zooms will be like $40k each.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BrosephofArimathea posted:

With the right light, I'm pretty sure I could use that to shoot down a satellite.

For $2m I expect this thing to have some serious ~Leica glow~.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sildargod posted:

I played with a Tamron 70-200, a Canon 70-200, and the fixed 200l, and went with the 200l. What a lens it is...

PTA bout-90 by sildargod, on Flickr

PTA bout-4 by sildargod, on Flickr

PTA bout-6 by sildargod, on Flickr

Focus is a little difficult to obtain with the ludicrously thin DoF, which means many, many images are discarded, but when it's right the result is like magic.

Was the Tamron 70-200 the VC one? I bought it and have been using it without issues on my 5D. Of course the autofocus is not anywhere close to what folks have on modern bodies, but I have not felt any lack in accuracy or speed. What were your thoughts?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I've used dozens of lenses and I cannot get enough of the 24mm TS-E L II. It hardly leaves my camera unless im shooting portraits or macro stuff.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

rio posted:

Was the Tamron 70-200 the VC one? I bought it and have been using it without issues on my 5D. Of course the autofocus is not anywhere close to what folks have on modern bodies, but I have not felt any lack in accuracy or speed. What were your thoughts?

It was indeed, the only that stopped me snapping it up there and then was the extra $600 which I couldn't justify (yet). It seems to be absolutely fantastic, better even than my Tamron 24-70VC which was my go-to lens for everything for a long while. I'm considering sucking it up and getting it at the end of may though. Have you noticed any softness wide open at the long end? Most of the reviews I saw mentioned strong haloing and loss of contrast, but I didn't notice anything in my 10 minutes faffing around at the shop.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's very loose claims about Canon working on new fullframe sensors, that are cheaper due to apparently new manufacturing processes, and apparently are RGB, too. Hopefully this'll be true, especially latter. Ignoring any losses from stacking photon wells, a full RGB sensor should allow for more accurate luminance values and therefore less noise.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/04/new-sensor-technology-coming-from-canon-cr1/

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
but noise isnt the problem right now...its dynamic range where canon sensors are lagging behind the worst.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'd figure that goes hand in hand. If the SNR is higher, you can amplify the signal more.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I picked up a Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8 at a thrift store for $1.
Is it worth tracking down a FD-EF converter to use on a modern dslr or should I not bother?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thumposaurus posted:

Is it worth tracking down a FD-EF converter to use on a modern dslr or should I not bother?

Don't bother. With a glassless adapter you lose infinity focus and with a converter with glass you lose image quality and get a teleconverter.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thumposaurus posted:

Canon FD stuff is cheap at this point because no one wants it. Adapting it to EF mount doesn't work (for the above reasons), so the only people who want it are people who shoot FD mount on film and people who adapt it to mirrorless.

It's a fine lens, but nothing special. There's tons of them out there because they were the standard "kit" lens at the time. If you want to shoot a 50mm go buy a EF 50/1.8 for like $100

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a EF 50/1.8 that I got last year at a different thrift store already, just this one was $1 so couldn't really pass it up.
Guess I'll just put it up on a shelf for now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My friend bought an FD adapter for a few lenses he bought second-hand, I shot some stuff on a 5D with them and absolutely hated it. Highlights were totally blown out in studio and outdoors, there was flare all over the place.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I did some shooting on the weekend, and I was using my 18-55 Canon kit lens for a bit cause the only other lens I have is 50mm.

I was shooting at 400 ISO, and I find the shot looks grainy when I'm zoomed in to 100%. I guess it's cause it's just the cheapo kit lens, does that sound about right? Would upgrading to a better lens make for better performance at that ISO?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I did some shooting on the weekend, and I was using my 18-55 Canon kit lens for a bit cause the only other lens I have is 50mm.

I was shooting at 400 ISO, and I find the shot looks grainy when I'm zoomed in to 100%. I guess it's cause it's just the cheapo kit lens, does that sound about right? Would upgrading to a better lens make for better performance at that ISO?

Nope, lenses generally don't introduce grain unless they're... filled with grain. Could you post a crop of the image at 100% Maybe we can help you with what you're seeing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

triplexpac posted:

Describe "grainy".

Most images look grainy when at 100% honestly.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
70-200 f/2.8 IS, the original version not the mk 2, on sale at my local camera shop used for around $1500. Looks in good shape, they are holding it for me til tomorrow evening. Is there a reason I should pass on this?

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
My 6D and 24-70 II showed up! And naturally the first thing I do is photograph the cat ><

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Drewski posted:

My 6D and 24-70 II showed up! And naturally the first thing I do is photograph the cat ><
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603240

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WRONG

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Well to be fair it's an insane time at work. I took Monday off to go to San Diego so I'll actually do real things with my new camera. Also I've found an abandoned dairy farm nearby that was used as a rehabilitation facility for psychiatric patients committed to the state of California. So hopefully there is some cool stuff coming!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Drewski posted:

Well to be fair it's an insane time at work. I took Monday off to go to San Diego so I'll actually do real things with my new camera. Also I've found an abandoned dairy farm nearby that was used as a rehabilitation facility for psychiatric patients committed to the state of California. So hopefully there is some cool stuff coming!
Scary Dairy huh. Been years since I was out there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No I was not committed to the state of California.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Scary Dairy huh. Been years since I was out there.

I find it hilarious that a dairy farm for mental patients was called Scary Dairy. It just seems so murderous.

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

Shellman posted:

70-200 f/2.8 IS, the original version not the mk 2, on sale at my local camera shop used for around $1500. Looks in good shape, they are holding it for me til tomorrow evening. Is there a reason I should pass on this?

If I recall correctly, the mk2 was on sale last December for $1800 new from reputable sellers.

Personally, if it was my money, I'd get the mk2 > tamron vc > mk1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MkII refurb is ~$1700.