Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Gravy Train Robber posted:

A new Defenders, headlined by Doctor Strange and Ghostverine.

I actually checked out C2E2 news before realizing you were joking. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I actually checked out C2E2 news before realizing you were joking. :smith:

Sorry!

Although given that they just pulled Nightcrawler out of the afterlife, I'm pretty sure Kurt will be more than happy to return the favor.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Rhyno posted:

Frank decided to pick up the mantel in the regular continuity.

That wasn't all that great. Frank being chosen to do so, being crazy good at it, and the Illuminati establishing a Captain Americacorps was the best possible storyline.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can I just say that a Ghost Wolverine line of comics, where he fights stuff in the afterlife, sounds kinda awesome? Like, if you're going to give Wolverine "some time off" without actually removing the character, making him a ghost sounds hilarious. Bonus points if his only real friend is Dr. Strange. Hah.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
There are a bunch of dead Avengers that featured in Chaos War. Dead Wolverine could team up with them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Shinjobi posted:

Can I just say that a Ghost Wolverine line of comics, where he fights stuff in the afterlife, sounds kinda awesome? Like, if you're going to give Wolverine "some time off" without actually removing the character, making him a ghost sounds hilarious. Bonus points if his only real friend is Dr. Strange. Hah.

This book already kind of happened. The last time he "died" his soul was sent to Hell while a demon possessed his body and it was Wolverine vs demons and Satan and of course somehow still Sabretooth while the X-Men tried to stop his body from killing everything.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

There are a bunch of dead Avengers that featured in Chaos War. Dead Wolverine could team up with them.

Coming soon, Avengers Afterlife. Starting Wolverine, featuring Captain Marvel, Nova, Dr. Druid, and Stature.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SilverSupernova posted:

Coming soon, Avengers Afterlife. Starting Wolverine, featuring Captain Marvel, Nova, Dr. Druid, and Stature.

Is Doctor Druid there just to hook up the tv and blu ray player?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Doctor Druid there just to hook up the tv and blu ray player?

Whither the HDMI?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Is it me, or will Rogue have aged exactly like Maggie Chascarillo?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Schneider Heim posted:

That was cool because Van Lente explicitly ended the book with the Rita DeMara version of Yellowjacket and the original Swordsman alive again (and there was a good hook for Rita given she spent the series depressed that nobody actually gave a poo poo about her death meaning she left no impact on the world) and Brevoort immediately turned around and said it didn't count because nobody had any immediate plans for them.

He did the same thing with Namorita after the time displaced version of her or whatever came back in Nova. Yost said he wasn't allowed to use her for New Warriors and IIRC someone asked Brevoort and he said she "probably died in space" or whatever and that he didn't really care because bringing her back would "devalue Civil War" or some bullshit.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Suben posted:

bringing her back would "devalue Civil War" or some bullshit.

How can you devalue something that has no value to begin with?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Actually I think it was just that it would devalue her death but her death (and the other New Warriors) is what kicks off Civil War anyway so...

Also the entire point of Civil War was that Quesada wanted heroes being "less chummy" (it was his third genie after undoing Spidey's marriage and reducing the mutant population) so gently caress that book for giving us a glut of "heroes vs. heroes, everyone is an rear end in a top hat" stories.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gynovore posted:

This. With seven titles of his own and appearing in 23 more, Wolverine accounts for over 68% of Marvel's gross income. He will never, ever die permanently. Ever.
I know you're joshin' but he's got two solo titles. Before Wolverine relaunched with a new #1 (for the second time in a year) it was getting beat in sales by Spider-Man, Deadpool, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Captain America, and Daredevil in terms of solo books. Even with another shiny new #1 and promises of BIG CHANGES it's back around 40,000 copies after just three issues. Savage Wolverine is selling less than all of those books plus stuff like My Little Pony and Afterlife with Archie. Wolverine & the X-Men (which I guess you could count as a Wolverine book) was routinely getting outsold by Bendis's X-Books and Remender's Uncanny Avengers and even when it relaunched last month its first issue was outsold by four of Marvel's other #1s that are hardly blockbuster sales generators (Daredevil, Silver Surfer, Moon Knight, Magneto).

This is not to say that Wolverine doesn't appear in a lot of comics, but in recent years he probably hasn't appeared in nearly as many comics as Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Thor, Deadpool, etc. He's also been remarkably anemic in terms of sales. I don't think a "big Wolverine story" has sold that well since Old Man Logan.

Which you know, may be why they think the time is ripe to kill him off for a spell.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

Actually I think it was just that it would devalue her death but her death (and the other New Warriors) is what kicks off Civil War anyway so...

But really it's not. Stamford's death kicks off Civil War. The whole thing's about how civilians are unsafe in Marvel. Any of the New Warriors coming back wouldn't really matter any more than any other superhero resurrection. I mean, Speedball came back (I know Speedball never died, but happy-go-lucky Speedball came back after being grimdark Penance).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Suben posted:

That was cool because Van Lente explicitly ended the book with the Rita DeMara version of Yellowjacket and the original Swordsman alive again (and there was a good hook for Rita given she spent the series depressed that nobody actually gave a poo poo about her death meaning she left no impact on the world) and Brevoort immediately turned around and said it didn't count because nobody had any immediate plans for them.

If that didn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth, I would consider Chaos War to be one of my all-time favorite comic events.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Marvel thread. I wasn't sure where else to ask. But I need your help. I'm really new to comics - but I just realized that I might never enjoy a character more than motherfuckin Doctor Strange. I love the idea of a dude who scoffs at living in a world where the godamned wolverine coexists with holy-poo poo ironman because their physical abilities are nothing in the face of that cosmic horror that is implied by the undeniable existence of magic/the occult/extra-dimensional horror. In any event, I'm reading through a digital copy of The Oath right now, and really enjoying it.

There's not much out there on Doctor Strange. Apparently some kind of "annual" edition of Uncanny Avengers, that will address this magic-in-the-marvel-universe concept, is on sale tomorrow. Should I pick it up? Is there anything else out there on/related to Strange available, that I should check out? Why isn't this guy more popular?

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 30, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He's not that popular because he can be seriously hard to write. As for stuff to read, the original Lee/Ditko Strange Tales are really good. Doctor Strange: The Oath is a pretty self-contained story, but it's not really full of Strange wandering the higher planes or anything like that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, Strange is an awesome character that is nigh-impossible to write well; his powerset is quite literally 'do whatever the plot requires,' which makes it hard to keep the dramatic tension in a story high. That is one of the reasons why no one buys his books; basically every comics writer has a Doctor Strange pitch they'd love to write but Marvel knows full well they'd lose money because they always lose money.

The original Lee/Ditko Strange Tales are probably your best bet, A_Ruse!, and Mark Waid had a Strange mini a few years back that I quite enjoyed; also, Matt Fraction's Defenders was a Doc Strange story at heart and was also awesome, so give that a try.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wildly out of character at times too. :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The problem with Fraction's Defenders is that it's not very new to comics friendly. But if you're willing to spend some time on wikipedia it's very, very good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A_Ruse! posted:

There's not much out there on Doctor Strange. Apparently some kind of "annual" edition of Uncanny Avengers, that will address this magic-in-the-marvel-universe concept, is on sale tomorrow. Should I pick it up? I anything else out there on/related to Strange available, that I should check out? Why is this guy not more popular?

He's generally not more popular because he doesn't hang out with the more standard superheroes (who are of course the guys who move books). He generally has a problem that kind of befalls Superman in DC, in that he's really powerful so a lot of writers don't know how to work him in to the larger tapestry of the universe. He's so powerful, in fact, that a lot of the usual poo poo in the Marvel universe is just not worth his time compared to the cosmic horrors he has to deal with. However, that same Superman problem has another side, which is the case of jobbing hard when he's involved in a team. When the good Doctor actually does show up to help the Avengers out (or recently when he was an actual full-time member of the New Avengers) he almost always gets his rear end kicked by the villain-of-the-day to show how much of a threat said villain is. In short, Dr. Strange is not more popular because he's either doing cool things and not hanging out with Spider-Man/Wolverine/[popular character] or he is hanging out with popular characters and getting his poo poo kicked in.

As for stuff he's in, the Defenders are pretty much Strange's very own super-team and while they don't have a current ongoing, Matt Fraction had a very excellent Defenders run recently. There's probably a bunch of other stuff people will recommend but you've already read the Oath and so that's pretty much all I've got on the character.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mr. Maltose posted:

He's not that popular because he can be seriously hard to write. As for stuff to read, the original Lee/Ditko Strange Tales are really good. Doctor Strange: The Oath is a pretty self-contained story, but it's not really full of Strange wandering the higher planes or anything like that.
I hope Hickman writes a Doctor Strange on-going some day, because that guy alone made me fall in love with so many characters, and if anyone can write a great book about abstract, undefined heroes, powers, and places, it's Hickman.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

I hope Hickman writes a Doctor Strange on-going some day, because that guy alone made me fall in love with so many characters, and if anyone can write a great book about abstract, undefined heroes, powers, and places, it's Hickman.

New Avengers #14 was largely Dr. Strange focused and is the best issue of the series so far. I would kill for a Hickman written Strange series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suben posted:

Also the entire point of Civil War was that Quesada wanted heroes being "less chummy" (it was his third genie after undoing Spidey's marriage and reducing the mutant population) so gently caress that book for giving us a glut of "heroes vs. heroes, everyone is an rear end in a top hat" stories.

It is Marvel's Identity Crisis, after all...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

A_Ruse! posted:

Marvel thread. I wasn't sure where else to ask. But I need your help. I'm really new to comics - but I just realized that I might never enjoy a character more than motherfuckin Doctor Strange. I love the idea of a dude who scoffs at living in a world where the godamned wolverine coexists with holy-poo poo ironman because their physical abilities are nothing in the face of that cosmic horror that is implied by the undeniable existence of magic/the occult/extra-dimensional horror. In any event, I'm reading through a digital copy of The Oath right now, and really enjoying it.
Time to recommend Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment again.

SMP posted:

New Avengers #14 was largely Dr. Strange focused and is the best issue of the series so far. I would kill for a Hickman written Strange series.
Yeah, that was a great Strange issue. More of that, please.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
It's not 616 continuity but the Doctor Strange: Season One graphic novel by Greg Pak & Emma Rios is a great entry point and absolutely gorgeous (plus Wong is completely awesome in it).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kaleidoscope posted:

It's not 616 continuity but the Doctor Strange: Season One graphic novel by Greg Pak & Emma Rios is a great entry point and absolutely gorgeous (plus Wong is completely awesome in it).

If you are talking entry points for Mr. Strange lets not leave out The Oath.

redbackground posted:

Yeah, that was a great Strange issue. More of that, please.

Still waiting on him to come back, though I really hope whatever artist drew that issue is back by then too.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 30, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Roger Stern wrote a really good story called Triumph and Torment, which delves into how a Sorcerer Supreme is chosen. Basically Strange has to prove himself worthy again and he wins. But Dr. Doom comes in second and the bylaws state Strange has to assist Doom with a favor.

Doom wants to take on Mephisto and save his mother's soul.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Strange-Do...ge+and+dr+droom

It is really good and it is often referenced.

This mini series by Waid is something I remember being good. Takes place after Strange is no longer Sorcerer Supreme.

http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Doctor-Out-Mark-Waid/dp/0785144250/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398869661&sr=1-8&keywords=doctor+strange

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

If you are talking entry points for Mr. Strange lets not leave out The Oath.

Still waiting on him to come back, though I really hope whatever artist drew that issue is back by then too.
According to the end of this week's New Avengers, he'll be back just in time to fight the Nope Not The Justice League.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

According to the end of this week's New Avengers, he'll be back just in time to fight the Nope Not The Justice League.

I just saw Valerio Schiti posted this on tumblr. He'll be back for the next issue!
Some art from NA #18

Namor looks like he should be in a Kpop band.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, hello, General Marvel Thread. The relaunch of Fantastic Four is up to issue #3, right? How is it so far? I'm not sure if after Hickman anyone can make an awesome FF run, but I'd love to hear otherwise.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 30, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, hello, General Marvel Thread. The relaunch of Fantastic Four is up to issue #3, right? How is it so far? I'm not sure if after Hickman anyone can make an awesome FF run, but I'd love to hear otherwise.

I like Fraction's run on it well enough, but I dropped this one after the first issue.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Nope, not really worth reading. Not bad, just nothing new or interesting beyond red costumes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Someone will come along and put together another great FF run eventually. It wasn't Fraction and it's not Robinson.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'd like to see Gillen take a go at FF.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
It's not Doctor Strange, but in the same vein I really quite liked the Doctor Voodoo series.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I am curious as to what's going to happen with Dr Strange being even more powerful after a career of constant nerfing. Maybe they'll try for the "It's not about having the power to save the day it's about saving the day without accidentally unraveling the universe." angle.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

I am curious as to what's going to happen with Dr Strange being even more powerful after a career of constant nerfing. Maybe they'll try for the "It's not about having the power to save the day it's about saving the day without accidentally unraveling the universe." angle.

If Hickman can handle Franklin then I think he can handle Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

I'd like to see Gillen take a go at FF.

Would really like this. Generally, I feel like I could really enjoy a shuffling around of some of the bigger guys at Marvel to titles they haven't tangled with before. Question, has Fraction ever written any Spider-Man? I feel like he could really nail down the humor and the balance between the mask and Parker's personal life.

• Locked thread