Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat i really love the Belltower mechanic. Killed two Bell defenders (the second one just chilled in the stars making "joy" emotes until the first died) and then died to the boss (was not expecting that :stare:) so i summon a dude up and we climb up the stairs to smash two more defenders and wipe the boss out. I then spent some time throwing down signs and helping people against the invaders, fun times.

Also, i don't know if they were goons or not, but i want to give a shout out to whoever was chilling in the Black Gulch and helped me out of that god forsaken area. Jesus Christ i was hating the neo-Blighttown and then you face that.

I've now went into the forest area beyond the gate locked by the petrified women who sells pyromancy, i travelled along and reached a place foggy as hell. I keep seeing messages to destroy some trees but i can't seem to find a way to do it. Any help?

edit: also, everyone should seriously play in the rat's playhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Some poor fucker invaded me with his dual petrify/posion whips and I put my 35 ADP to good use. :smugdog:

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Mans posted:

I've now went into the forest area beyond the gate locked by the petrified women who sells pyromancy, i travelled along and reached a place foggy as hell. I keep seeing messages to destroy some trees but i can't seem to find a way to do it. Any help?

Attacking the trees distracts the invisible guys who will try to shank you. Just hug the walls until you find the way out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So I was sunbroing at The Rotten.

We kill him, takes a bit. Then the host gets the bright idea to do Warcry in the lava, killing himself.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

IchGestalt posted:

After some time, A gravestone should spawn - and you can use it to bring her back (As a ghost?). I think this is the same for all friendly NPC's.

Not all of them and, in the Herald's case, not entirely true in her case. You have to pay a modest amount to revive her each time you want to chat her up for whatever reason, while the other spooky ghosts stick around.

You've gone and given yourself quite a bit of sin, though, so have fun getting invaded a bunch.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tahjir posted:

Okay I want to know how long it took them to write that list. I didn't even know the word waffle could be offensive.

Because of blue waffle is my guess, same reason lemonparty is on there. The funniest thing to me is "qq more" however.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Contra Duck posted:

Attacking the trees distracts the invisible guys who will try to shank you. Just hug the walls until you find the way out.

Yeah I just hugged the left to avoid backstabs and talk to a cool guy. :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gamerofthegame posted:

Not all of them and, in the Herald's case, not entirely true in her case. You have to pay a modest amount to revive her each time you want to chat her up for whatever reason, while the other spooky ghosts stick around.

You've gone and given yourself quite a bit of sin, though, so have fun getting invaded a bunch.

I've been sinning all game and have yet to see the sissy blue boys once. Plus if this is anything like Dark Souls, most people in the sentinels are terrible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy gently caress, so I've been screwing around with MotionJoy all day trying to get my original gamepad as well as my PS3 controller to work.

I downloaded something called "Better DS3" and it just loving worked immediately. No creepy Chinese browser-based bullshit constantly polling home like MotionJoy, just a simple interface that immediately worked with no fuss.

gently caress MotionJoy Forever

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

QuarkJets posted:

Holy gently caress, so I've been screwing around with MotionJoy all day trying to get my original gamepad as well as my PS3 controller to work.

I downloaded something called "Better DS3" and it just loving worked immediately. No creepy Chinese browser-based bullshit constantly polling home like MotionJoy, just a simple interface that immediately worked with no fuss.

gently caress MotionJoy Forever

BetterDS3 functions by using the MotionInJoy drivers so without MotionInJoy BetterDS3 wouldn't work at all. :shobon:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I really don't care for bosses that suddenly start using new attacks or longer/faster combos once they get low on health. They should just start with all their attacks, then they would be a better boss, like Artorias.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.
Uh, so I went through the portcullis by Pate and got killed by the hollows in the hallway because I D-Padded wrong trying to heal. Now after reviving at the bonfire I go back and the portcullis is still closed--Pate gave me the White Soapstone. Is there a way to get back through to get the treasure and my bloodstain or am I hosed?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been sinning all game and have yet to see the sissy blue boys once. Plus if this is anything like Dark Souls, most people in the sentinels are terrible.

I've met maybe 4 blue sentinels trying to kill me and managed 16~ blue invasions of my own. It's weird, blue orbs seem kinda limited to the zone you are in but I have also invaded into the Dragon Shrine & Amana Shrine despite never going there myself. They really should just let it be global instead of whatever janky system they have going right now, it's hard enough to find sinners without also requiring that you be in the same zone as them.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

After having a bit of a sad moment when I had to dismiss a helpful bro in Sinner's Rise because Lucatiel decided to fall into some water, joy returned when I went back to the bonfire and discovered the sign of someone with the name BATTLE DAD. He did not disappoint. :patriot:

electrohead posted:

Uh, so I went through the portcullis by Pate and got killed by the hollows in the hallway because I D-Padded wrong trying to heal. Now after reviving at the bonfire I go back and the portcullis is still closed--Pate gave me the White Soapstone. Is there a way to get back through to get the treasure and my bloodstain or am I hosed?
There's another way around, if you're observant.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.

Helter Skelter posted:

There's another way around, if you're observant.

Excellent, all I needed to know.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So I was in the Doors of Pharros first bonfire, and got summoned as a grey phantom.

I didn't have a sign down, and when in the world the host could attack me but I couldn't attack him.

What in the poo poo...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

So I was in the Doors of Pharros first bonfire, and got summoned as a grey phantom.

I didn't have a sign down, and when in the world the host could attack me but I couldn't attack him.

What in the poo poo...

You got summoned by a Ratman. Think Belltower but reversed. If you couldn't hurt him it's because of lag or hacking.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Oh, well that could have been explained better I guess.

Is this place optional or am I going to have to splatter some fuckkin rats?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's a lesson Dark Souls taught me; don't fulfill dubious requests in pursuit of a dumb hat.

I looked up where to get some gear I wanted and found out I needed to complete the murder requests of a crazy guy to get him to sell them too me. I could have completed said requests by simply progressing further in the game, but I figured "hey the only characters I care about in Majula so I can just kill them, burn a bonfire ascetic, and then they'll come back and everything will be just fine! I'm not gonna bother looking up if this plan will actually work because I'm lazy and tired.

Well it didn't work. Maybe I misunderstood ascetics and they don't reset NPCs, but either way I kind of just hosed myself overbecause one of the people I killed was the Emerald Warden. So no more leveling.

...but at least I got my hat :shepicide:

gently caress. She'll at least come back on NG+ right?

I feel bad for you, but this made me laugh a lot

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Got invaded for the first time last night by someone who was playing legitimately and who proceeded to legitimately lose against me. Makes a nice change from Dark Souls 1 where all the invaders I had were either hacking or twinking. :thumbsup:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There's some neat treasure in there and an optional boss, plus the chance to join the rat covenant. Otherwise that section entirely skippable, onwards is up the stairs where the first dwarf is. I actually missed the rat cave part entirely my first time through.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Got invaded for the first time last night by someone who was playing legitimately and who proceeded to legitimately lose against me. Makes a nice change from Dark Souls 1 where all the invaders I had were either hacking or twinking. :thumbsup:

there's still a lot of hackers but I've had a much better time finding people playing fair than I ever did in the first game. PvP is actually fun in this game!!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

The boss is optional, so in theory you could just run through it to the next area. Or disconnect and get through it offline no problem.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Tried out some pvp tonight. I don't understand how the lag and hitboxes can be so bad in 2014. poo poo wasn't this bad back on 56k.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Now that duels are actually happening I don't feel so bad about the cracked red eye limitations. It's still really lovely that red phantoms have a ton of nuisance taxes that other phantoms don't but actually getting the orbs in NG isn't that bad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Darox posted:

Now that duels are actually happening I don't feel so bad about the cracked red eye limitations. It's still really lovely that red phantoms have a ton of nuisance taxes that other phantoms don't but actually getting the orbs in NG isn't that bad.

Well, at least you don't have to pay a token of Fidelity every time you want to duel.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Well, at least you don't have to pay a token of Fidelity every time you want to duel.

The worst thing about being blue is definitely having to use each blue orb 10 times before you get a hit. I've only had to retry a red orb once out of maybe 50 attempts.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've discovered the light and joined the Bellbro covenant. Holy poo poo, is that poo poo fun. Well, other than when they pre-summon a gold phantom and wait for you to zone in. That's some bullshit. :argh:

I'm half-tempted to leave a white sign at the entrance and then do nothing when the invaders show up to kill the host. I was working for the bell tower all along!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Finally maxed out the ball keeper covenent. Now to continue the game and try to find the second boss soul trader.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I summoned two warriors of the Sun but i've yet to see how you can be a sunbro :(

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

I summoned two warriors of the Sun but i've yet to see how you can be a sunbro :(

You can find them in Harvest Valley, right before the entrance to Earthen Peak. There'll be a hammer bro near a narrow path. That's where you go.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

QuantaStarFire posted:

I've discovered the light and joined the Bellbro covenant. Holy poo poo, is that poo poo fun. Well, other than when they pre-summon a gold phantom and wait for you to zone in. That's some bullshit. :argh:

I'm half-tempted to leave a white sign at the entrance and then do nothing when the invaders show up to kill the host. I was working for the bell tower all along!

No rules in the belltower, amigo! Pull all the dirty tricks ya feel, 'cause the other side is most certainly going to also!

My favorite is to hide on the inner side of the rooftop since a ton of the belltower guys like to camp up there once they see the host sitting on the ground floor. Then I just give 'em the friendly Zweihander to the back and welp!

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

If you die, you just go back to where you were unharmed.

I wish the PC had ragemail, because it's so hilariously unfair for the person forced to fight my rats, while I tossed zero effort soul arrows at them. At least I usually stay at ground level and give them a little hope. Means they're more aggressive and die faster to try and kill me.

All the areas are optional at least.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kanos posted:

BetterDS3 functions by using the MotionInJoy drivers so without MotionInJoy BetterDS3 wouldn't work at all. :shobon:

Don't care -- it doesn't use the MotionJoy interface, doesn't phone home, and is apparently better at applying the MotionJoy drivers than MotionJoy is. These are all good things

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

tRIDAV posted:

Tried out some pvp tonight. I don't understand how the lag and hitboxes can be so bad in 2014. poo poo wasn't this bad back on 56k.

there's some laggy matches and some that aren't so bad. I recommend keeping region-play set to "restricted," otherwise you're playing against people in Japan or whatever and that's no fun thanks to latency

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Cardboard Box posted:

there's still a lot of hackers but I've had a much better time finding people playing fair than I ever did in the first game. PvP is actually fun in this game!!
There were an absurd number of hackers in DS1, DS2 PC currently could not even compare. Most of them were 'just' stat hackers which you might not realize until you notice while hosting at SL98 that some invader has 2.2k health, can one-hand havel's shield, and also is able to cast high faith spells. Probably a factor in why PC Dark Souls gravitated towards SL120 PVP instead of SL100. When I made a few dark souls videos it was depressing realizing (in editing retrospect) just how many players I fought who turned out to have 99 VIT*, like 1 in 5 would be a generous understatement.

Additionally you could use the book of the guilty, just randomly browse starting at the top 500th or whatever. An overwhelming majority of the high indictment players were stat hacked. Basically, the stat hacking in DS1 was incredibly rampant and the odd infinite health hacker was a rare nuance at most.

*In DS1, the damage numbers you see are after resists, in other words the damage you dealt to their health. So you can have a pretty good idea how much health they had before the killing blow landed. When a player has 25+% health after taking 1500 dmg you know they have 99 VIT + FAP ring. Some stat hackers were really obvious, like fast-rolling in full giants armor and popping mulitple divine blessings, others tried to be subtle.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

BlueBro Report:

Guilty sinner runs from me, summons two gold phantoms to hide behind, and then backs himself off a cliff trying to escape my chaos storm. :v:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NullDragon posted:

If you die, you just go back to where you were unharmed.

I wish the PC had ragemail, because it's so hilariously unfair for the person forced to fight my rats, while I tossed zero effort soul arrows at them. At least I usually stay at ground level and give them a little hope. Means they're more aggressive and die faster to try and kill me.

All the areas are optional at least.

What annoys me about the ratmen is how clever they think they are, hiding on the second level of the Doors of Pharros rapezone with all the locks opened. Like I'm actually going to go running into trap hell to kill them. No thanks, there's this nice little cavern on the ground floor with no enemies. I'll just hang out there until you come down to play. I have a book, I can wait. You summoned me, you can come try to kill me.

Also, I killed your King. He whined a bit, then said "I'm gonna make you pay!" and then stood shock-still while I finished him off. All talk, no walk.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Do the Pharros traps reset in a newgame? I'm loving Ratbros and just want to know if I should hoard a bunch of lockstones before going on to the next playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Man, the censoring is something else. I can only imagine what this guy's actual name is, and whether it's something actually dirty or not.