Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Started a new game in hardcore, and my first 7 shots (with 50-65% chance to hit) all missed. :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Hi - I wanted to download Long War, but it needs patch 4. There's a rollback mod which fixes this, but removes EW as far as I can see. Is this correct?

If I want to have EW (can see why I wouldn't) there's a Long War 3 EW Beta 6. Wouldn't this be the interesting one to get?

VVVV Yeah, I did just that and everything works fine. Maybe they should hire a copywriter to explain their mod better.

Death by Cranes fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 29, 2014

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Yeah, if you've got EW, get B6, ignore all those directions, and just run its installer.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/newfoundlanders-fear-rotting-whale-carcasses-could-soon-explode-1.1797195

Sure, methane. NUKE IT FROM ORBIT ALREADY!

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

That is the most :stare: XCOM news item I have ever seen.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Once LW Beta 7 comes out, anyone else think that it should be split off into a seperate thread? A lot of people don't even know that there are XCom mods, let alone one that effectively turns it into a whole new game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Once LW Beta 7 comes out, anyone else think that it should be split off into a seperate thread? A lot of people don't even know that there are XCom mods, let alone one that effectively turns it into a whole new game.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Vanilla players won't have to get confused by LW discussion and LW players will have it easier to find relevant discussions.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Started a new run recently. Had an interesting experience on one mission. Ordered a sniper to grapple hook her way up to a rooftop. Instead, she finds herself below the map, unable to move...

But still able to fire. As far as I could tell, she could see anything in her sight range (sadly she was a squaddie I was training and thus didn't have squad sight), but the aliens couldn't see her.

It was pretty rad.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dominic White posted:

True, but there isn't a whole lot to discuss anymore outside of Long War. Might as well keep it in the main thread (or a new main thread) to give the main game some more exposure.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

John Dough posted:

True, but there isn't a whole lot to discuss anymore outside of Long War. Might as well keep it in the main thread (or a new main thread) to give the main game some more exposure.

Maybe a new main thread with updated information on Enemy Within, Long War(and other mods) would be the best approach?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Jetamo posted:

Maybe a new main thread with updated information on Enemy Within, Long War(and other mods) would be the best approach?

I agree with this, I don't think there's enough discussion to merit two seperate XCOM threads.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
New thread title: X-Com: Enemy Unknown - Long War Mod discussions and occasional RNG Bitching.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm indifferent to splitting it off. On one hand, sure, players of vanilla could get a little confused, but on the other, it's not like there's much of anything happening on the vanilla front. XCOM Complete is out which means that vanilla is basically dead.

I'm also fine with updating the OP with some more up-to-date information if that's what people want. My basic feeling had been that approximately zero people look at it anymore.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A thread reboot does sound like the better option now, I agree. Almost nobody plays without the expansion now, and there's not much to say about the game other than discuss the scattered handful of mods.

I do think any mention of Long War needs to include a disclaimer that is that it is what it is, and no matter how many pages you write about how it's not exactly the mod you had envisioned, it's not going to change unless you somehow convince the developers.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Dominic White posted:

A thread reboot does sound like the better option now, I agree. Almost nobody plays without the expansion now, and there's not much to say about the game other than discuss the scattered handful of mods.

I do think any mention of Long War needs to include a disclaimer that is that it is what it is, and no matter how many pages you write about how it's not exactly the mod you had envisioned, it's not going to change unless you somehow convince the developers.

I think that it's also worth mentioning in the same breath that the Developers are very responsive to player input, and frequently engage in extensive discussions on proposed changes to the mod. If you go to the nexus forums and make your case (politely), you will definitely get a response and well-argued suggestions and critiques are frequently incorporated into the mod.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It sounds like Beta 7 is really going to throw players for a loop. I just noticed that along with reworking how rockets work, grenades are similarly getting a scatter-based aiming system. No longer is every soldier in XCom a major league pitcher? At least it sounds like this applies to aliens as well, and Thin Men have to roll for scatter on their spit attacks.

Explosives also have damage focused at the point of impact. Land a frag right on an alien and it'll wreck it. At the very edge it'll probably only do 1-2 damage.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Dominic White posted:

It sounds like Beta 7 is really going to throw players for a loop. I just noticed that along with reworking how rockets work, grenades are similarly getting a scatter-based aiming system. No longer is every soldier in XCom a major league pitcher? At least it sounds like this applies to aliens as well, and Thin Men have to roll for scatter on their spit attacks.

This is not true AFAIK. Pretty certain this was suggested in forum but Amineri said it's not technically feasible because grenades use the pathing programming so they cannot be forced to miss or scatter.

quote:

Explosives also have damage focused at the point of impact. Land a frag right on an alien and it'll wreck it. At the very edge it'll probably only do 1-2 damage.

This is true and awesome.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Uh... will that grenade thing work both ways?

Also, does "wreck it" just mean max normal output or something even bigger?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

amanasleep posted:

This is not true AFAIK. Pretty certain this was suggested in forum but Amineri said it's not technically feasible because grenades use the pathing programming so they cannot be forced to miss or scatter.

Yeah this seems like it's just outside of the game engine, since they'd also have to somehow account for the possibility of a grenade, for example, missing a window and then bouncing off of the wall. Considering the ridiculous angles/bounces you need to use sometimes with grenades, having them scatter would just be an absolute nightmare and would seriously diminish their effectiveness.

Also if we're really starting a new thread then I suggest mentioning long war in the thread title so that people who are familiar with the mod from EU might notice that it's being released/updated again if they haven't been paying attention. Something like 'X-Com Complete: Long War constantly changes'.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

amanasleep posted:

Ah, fair enough. Wasn't entirely sure how to read this:

quote:

- Significant overhaul of Grenade, Poison spit and Rocket launcher mechanics. New calculation method for rocket scatter, and a number of abilities (suppression, disorientation, poisoned, mindfrayed) apply penalties to range (for grenades, spit, Exalt rocket launchers) or accuracy (for XCom rocket launchers).

The whole 'significant overhaul of grenade mechanics' thing sounded pretty big.

dyzzy posted:

Also, does "wreck it" just mean max normal output or something even bigger?

There's a note that explosive damage has been adjusted to compensate for the new damage mechanic. Unless it's a general nerf to grenades, I'd expect the point-blank damage to be a point or two higher.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2014

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Another Long war question, since we're on the topic: What use does the outsider shard have? I just captured an outsider, but there is no new research. I looked through the tech tree and saw no mention of the shard/interrogation.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Samopsa posted:

Another Long war question, since we're on the topic: What use does the outsider shard have? I just captured an outsider, but there is no new research. I looked through the tech tree and saw no mention of the shard/interrogation.

You need them to build keys for the alien bases. The option to build one doesn't show up until you have scouted a base (so they could extend the game length another 20 days).

Lima fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 30, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Ah, fair enough. Wasn't entirely sure how to read this:

The whole 'significant overhaul of grenade mechanics' thing sounded pretty big.

They are changing the Rocket Scatter mechanics, and changing grenade ranges. Many of these changes were prompted by the power of Exalt Heavies on the one hand (once the vanilla AI had been unshackled to allow them to use the things properly), and mid to late game aliens on the other hand, which spam grenades (this is also a vanilla problem).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looking forward to fighting Exalt now that they're a real threat. As there's no reason to not use explosives on them, it should be a real slugging match.

It sounds like the mission to take them down is a genuine challenge now, complete with a boss battle. Long War brings the pain.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dominic White posted:

It sounds like the mission to take them down is a genuine challenge now, complete with a boss battle. Long War brings the pain.
Its loving hard, that's for sure. I don't plan to actually give them a go until I have a full A-team at MSGT with adv power armor and full plasma, and I expect to have problems then.

Samopsa posted:

What you're looking for in the tech tree is "Alien Operations." Like vanilla, you still need to interrogate another alien first.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Its loving hard, that's for sure. I don't plan to actually give them a go until I have a full A-team at MSGT with adv power armor and full plasma, and I expect to have problems then.

From what I read on the LW forum, the final mission has been geared to be tough even if you get the Super Skyranger upgrade (12 spaces), and throw all your best troops at it. Apparently the number of enemies is hardcoded, so I assume they've made it into a boss rush of sorts. Hopefully the final boss will now be a real knock-down, drag-out fight rather than being some chump you one-shot with a railgun.

I shudder to think at what the hell is going to be scary and powerful enough to stand up to twelve of XCom's finest.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 30, 2014

Trax416
Dec 1, 2006

Coolguye posted:

I'm indifferent to splitting it off. On one hand, sure, players of vanilla could get a little confused, but on the other, it's not like there's much of anything happening on the vanilla front. XCOM Complete is out which means that vanilla is basically dead.

I'm also fine with updating the OP with some more up-to-date information if that's what people want. My basic feeling had been that approximately zero people look at it anymore.

I was actually just reading it. Looking to get into X-COM, debating about buying it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
A relatively new addition in LW B7 that I just noticed is that they buffed Lightning Reflexes on the first Overwatch shot that it triggers (from a 75% penalty up to a 90%) but slightly nerfed it on the following shots (75% down to 70%). Not sure how I feel about the nerf portion since even 75% led to my scout getting hit all the time, but at least it should be really reliable in wasting at least one Overwatch now, which still makes the class super useful/good.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Dominic White posted:

Looking forward to fighting Exalt now that they're a real threat. As there's no reason to not use explosives on them, it should be a real slugging match.

I'd prefer it that way, those guys were clowns in vanilla. Three of our men just died to the same overwatch ambush! RUSH MORE MEN INTO THE MEAT GRINDER!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Any opinions on the Android version? Noticed today that it's on sale for :10bux:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

VDay posted:

A relatively new addition in LW B7 that I just noticed is that they buffed Lightning Reflexes on the first Overwatch shot that it triggers (from a 75% penalty up to a 90%) but slightly nerfed it on the following shots (75% down to 70%). Not sure how I feel about the nerf portion since even 75% led to my scout getting hit all the time, but at least it should be really reliable in wasting at least one Overwatch now, which still makes the class super useful/good.

Eh, I'm still a little iffy on it. 90 means you will still lose your soldier for good/a very long time just for taking the "sure thing" on occasion, and situations where you can reliably trigger just one overwatch (and aren't otherwise easy, eg. one last alien) are hard to come by. That said 90 is a hell of a lot better than 75.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm fairly sure that's a 90% saving throw on top of whatever penalties the aliens get based on range, cover and movement for the shot itself. Firing on overwatch isn't the most accurate thing to begin with. If you're sprinting then you get an extra bonus, too. It's still technically possible to get hit when drawing fire, but very unlikely on the first shot.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Even 95% is a 1 in 20 chance which is still high enough to change the skills usage completely.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It plays into the general design of Long War, in that nothing is a sure thing anymore. You could stack the odds so far in your favor in the vanilla game that you could easily keep the same handful of guys stomping through the campaign even on the highest difficulty.

I do like that there are catch-up mechanics on both sides - setbacks are to be expected, but it's not the end of the game. If the aliens overtake you tech-wise, you'll be given more meld, and in the next update the aliens will start getting sneakier if you have the tech advantage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I hope their careful with that. I want it to be a fight, sure. What I don't want is the early racing game problem where if you were behind an enemy you'd slow down and if you passed them they'd get a massive speed boost. I want to be able to get ahead and stay there without feeling like the game is punishing me for doing well.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Trax416 posted:

I was actually just reading it. Looking to get into X-COM, debating about buying it.

Buy it and the expansion. Even without Long War, the base game is absolutely amazing.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Muscle Tracer posted:

Buy it and the expansion. Even without Long War, the base game is absolutely amazing.

Definitely play through the base game a few times before Long War, though. Long War does not gently caress around.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

dogstile posted:

I hope their careful with that. I want it to be a fight, sure. What I don't want is the early racing game problem where if you were behind an enemy you'd slow down and if you passed them they'd get a massive speed boost. I want to be able to get ahead and stay there without feeling like the game is punishing me for doing well.

It might not be exactly to your tastes, but it fits in perfectly with the story. If the aliens wanted, they could wipe Earth clean in a matter of days. Instead, they're trying to spur you into rapid advancement, so finding more Meld if you're behind and less if you're ahead makes for a nice auto-balancing system.

It doesn't sound like the aliens get much in the way of advantages if you're ahead, but they can launch Ambush missions if they're losing badly, which look like Research/Harvest missions but you'll find yourself jumped by a much more organized force when you arrive.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Dominic White posted:

It might not be exactly to your tastes, but it fits in perfectly with the story. If the aliens wanted, they could wipe Earth clean in a matter of days. Instead, they're trying to spur you into rapid advancement, so finding more Meld if you're behind and less if you're ahead makes for a nice auto-balancing system.

It doesn't sound like the aliens get much in the way of advantages if you're ahead, but they can launch Ambush missions if they're losing badly, which look like Research/Harvest missions but you'll find yourself jumped by a much more organized force when you arrive.

The trouble is that they already have advantages if they get ahead. Their troops get better, and I think their ships even get better. Which makes it harder to slow their research, I guess.

Ambushes sound fun, though. Although I hope they aren't beefed up abductor or supply ships, those things are already pinatas full of plasma and fear..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Deuce posted:

The trouble is that they already have advantages if they get ahead. Their troops get better, and I think their ships even get better. Which makes it harder to slow their research, I guess.

Which is why Long War starts giving you larger Meld payouts if you're behind in research. It's tricky to make a comeback, but it does at least throw you a bone.

• Locked thread