Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for series that focus on groups of mooks taking on vastly more powerful monsters. So far my favorites are manga like Attack on Titan, Claymore, and Gantz. I mostly enjoy them just for lots of creative monster types, so as long as I can get that I'm satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm looking for series that focus on groups of mooks taking on vastly more powerful monsters. So far my favorites are manga like Attack on Titan, Claymore, and Gantz. I mostly enjoy them just for lots of creative monster types, so as long as I can get that I'm satisfied.

Toriko isn't about mooks, but it's full of creative monster types.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Read Berserk, if you havent already. The enemies are varied and interesting and the art is fantastic. I really enjoyed Evangelion for this as well, the enemies were really cool and different tactics were needed to battle each one. I've only seen the recent rebuild movies though, never read the manga.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hm. Have you tried the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer? It's...not quite what you're asking for, but it's similar.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brasseye posted:

I really enjoyed Evangelion for this as well, the enemies were really cool and different tactics were needed to battle each one. I've only seen the recent rebuild movies though, never read the manga.

The manga is a spinoff of the television series, and Rebuild is close to nonsensical without the TV series for context.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The manga is a spinoff of the television series, and Rebuild is close to nonsensical without the TV series for context.

Catch-22. You can either watch Rebuild and be confused from the lack of context, or watch the TV series and be confused from the context itself. :v:

(It's a joke, not the opening salvo of another Eva holy war, please)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Catch-22. You can either watch Rebuild and be confused from the lack of context, or watch the TV series and be confused from the context itself. :v:

(It's a joke, not the opening salvo of another Eva holy war, please)

I watched Rebuild long before I even knew a TV show existed, and it was amazing. Honestly I would suggest watching Rebuild over the show just so you don't get dragged into the massive clusterfuck that is the rest of the franchise, unless you want to.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I feel like the context for the Rebuilds has less to do with the original series, and more to do with Anno saying "Oh, you wanted Shinji to get in the loving robot? Okay. Let's see how well that poo poo goes!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

End of Eva rules and for that alone I just can't agree with any decision to watch the new movies and skip out on the old stuff.

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
What animes are somewhat simular to Kaiji at all? I already watched Akagi too, and its very cool anime, even thought with its cliff hanger ending.

Basically something that has the main character look sooo hopeless that there is nothing that he could do unless a mircale happens.

Also, I am also interested in the best of the best anime too, because I am looking to get amazed by an anime that would make me find a memory erasing machine, erase my memory, and re-watch it over and over again.

I saw most of the well known best animes already(Didn't start watching Legends of the Galactic Heroes yet, because of holy gently caress long it is).

Any ideas at all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
For the second part, look here for a start.

For the second, it isn't an anime, but there's this Korean game show called The Genius which has the same mind-games tournament feel of Kaiji and Akagi, glorious backstabbing galore. It got recommended to me when I was looking for some mind-games/death-games stuff. Those are the only subs I could find since the one mentioned in the TVIV thread for the show seems to have been removed. Most importantly, it is amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flying High posted:

What animes are somewhat simular to Kaiji at all? I already watched Akagi too, and its very cool anime, even thought with its cliff hanger ending.

Basically something that has the main character look sooo hopeless that there is nothing that he could do unless a mircale happens.

Not an anime, but the manga Liar Game (and I think there was also a live action drama) is sort of like Kaiji in terms of having incredibly tense games and the such. I think that Kaiji is better, but it's still worth reading/watching.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mors Rattus posted:

Hm. Have you tried the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer? It's...not quite what you're asking for, but it's similar.

It really is, though the twelve Knights aren't really mooks per se, the monster designs get more and more insane as it goes and they have to use teamwork to win.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Flying High posted:

You want One Outs for your gambling fix. The methodology used is very much like Akagi's, but with baseball instead of mahjong. Most of the same people worked on the anime adaption as well. It's good poo poo but like Akagi, you'll have to read the manga after the show. But thankfully unlike Akagi, the manga is over and it doesn't have a baseball match lasting 20+ volumes or anything like that.

Liar Game is also good and the manga's by the same creator as One Outs. It's a lot like Kaiji (though I prefer Kaiji over it), but there's only a manga and a live action adaption of it.

Also, Gambling Emperor Zero is worth a look because it's by the creator of Kaiji and Akagi. It's manga only for the foreseeable future, but if you like Kaiji and you like math problems then you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 30, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
One Outs is really really good fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hate to bother about this again, but I've started in on TWGOK and just finished the second girl's "catch". Is it largely isolated stuff like the first two or is there a story that they occasionally go into catch mode? Basically, is it a story with a gimmick, or is it Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei-style monster-of-the-week with no actual story to speak of?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
It's largely isolated for the first half-ish, then goes into plot mode until the end of the series.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

I hate to bother about this again, but I've started in on TWGOK and just finished the second girl's "catch". Is it largely isolated stuff like the first two or is there a story that they occasionally go into catch mode? Basically, is it a story with a gimmick, or is it Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei-style monster-of-the-week with no actual story to speak of?

The first 110 or so chapters are episodic with the arcs becoming slightly longer as it goes along. After that the main plot kicks in and doesn't go away until the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sounds good to me, thanks! Are the girls they rescue ever relevant again or do they not show up after their arc is over? I could see that becoming a bit ridiculous if he rescues a few dozen girls and they reappear in the story. You can spoiler tag it if it's super important.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
A specific few of them are relevant outside of their individual arcs, but not many of them.

Here's another line of text to suggest to anyone who doesn't want to mouse over a spoiler that this is a big explanation and not the slightly-elongated "yes" that a single line of spoilers might suggest it is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thanks!

I was GISing for an "anime judge" and this stuff overwhelmingly dominated the first results. Knowing nothing about it, it reminds me of Hotline Miami but with bigger more anime animal heads. What's it about/is it any good?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I don't know about Judge on its own, but it's the sequel to Rabbit Doubt which is phenomenally stupid in all the wrong ways. It portrays itself as an interesting murder mystery but... it really wasn't. Like at all. I can't see Judge being any good considering how Doubt ended.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Someone recommended Clannad: After Story to me after I mentioned to them that I liked Kare Kano and AnoHana. Is it pretty good? Also, do I need to watch the first Clannad series first for it to make sense?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, and yes. It's a direct continuation of the plot from Clannad; basically a second season.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Someone recommended Clannad: After Story to me after I mentioned to them that I liked Kare Kano and AnoHana. Is it pretty good? Also, do I need to watch the first Clannad series first for it to make sense?

I like both those other series more than Clannad, but I enjoyed it well enough. And yeah, you need to watch both seasons.
Also, as I said just a bit earlier in the thread: Clannad plays it's emotional notes with power-chords, that isn't necessarily something everyone is going to enjoy.

edit: Have you seen Honey & Clover? If you're looking for emotional drama/romance things you might like that too.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 4, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

I like both those other series more than Clannad, but I enjoyed it well enough.
I think it kind of depends. The Hideaki Anno directed episodes of Kare Kano? Yeah, nothing's touching that. Probably the best romance story I've ever seen in anime/manga. But then it's like night and day once he left the project. And it's not helped by the manga, which has some severe pacing issues in the second half (and some rather unsettling parts). God drat were the Anno episodes of the anime good though.

Isn't it kind of the pot calling the kettle black to say CLANNAD goes all out with its emotional manipulations but Ano Hana does not? Both are good though; I think I like the payoff in After Story more, though obviously you have to put in a lot more effort (a full season and change) before you get there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Isn't it kind of the pot calling the kettle black to say CLANNAD goes all out with its emotional manipulations but Ano Hana does not? Both are good though; I think I like the payoff in After Story more, though obviously you have to put in a lot more effort (a full season and change) before you get there.

If I try to think of it objectively AnoHana is probably even more blatantly manipulative than Clannad is, but I also feel that it's more focused on what it wants to say, which is probably helped by its much shorter length.

I might have to revise the sentiment in my earlier post wrt KareKano too, I love those early episodes so much, so much that I actually forgot about how much it changes after Anno leaves; but I'm not sure they hit nearly as hard as Clannad does when its firing all all cylinders.

Hell, just hearing the opening song for After Story can make me tear up a bit and it's been three years since I watched it.

edit: we sort of had this discussion about Clannads lack of focus after I posted about it in the shoujo thread, I knew it seemed familiar as I was thinking about what to say. :shobon:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 4, 2014

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, I really loved AnoHana, but it was pretty blatantly designed it feels like to make the viewers cry a lot. Which it succeeded at when I watched it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My opinion of AnoHana is that while it was pretty good for the most part, some parts were hilariouly contrived to make very specific, and rather dumb, drama things happen. Simply put, Menma made no sense. That said, it did elicit a few tears from me.

On the other hand, Clannad has a very solid and straightforwards progression, and there's no doubt in my mind it's the superior show.

e: VV I guess more popular quality things. Death Note, Gurren Lagaan (especially since you liked FLCL; you might like other Imaishi directed stuff too), Attack on Titan, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for a start.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 4, 2014

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I haven't really gotten into new original series at all in the past decade. Stuff I really liked; the original Hellsing and remake, the original Berserk and now OVA/whatever it is (favorite), Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Initial D, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist. The basic generic poo poo everyone enjoys. What should I attempt to watch?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Look at these two ADTRWiki pages and click around until you find something that looks interesting. Personally I'd say give Baccano! a shot. It's about a bunch of lovably-weird gangsters in 1930s America.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I just finished off the first 14 episodes of Sword Art Online and feel like that was the perfect ending for the show. Does anyone else recommend I finish it off or just go onto a new series.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

fallin1 posted:

I just finished off the first 14 episodes of Sword Art Online and feel like that was the perfect ending for the show. Does anyone else recommend I finish it off or just go onto a new series.

Stop now. Go watch something else, maybe Log Horizon.

SAO gets really creepy and bad, really fast in the second half.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Mors Rattus posted:

Stop now. Go watch something else, maybe Log Horizon.

SAO gets really creepy and bad, really fast in the second half.

That's what I thought. Just out of curiosity did asuna die?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

fallin1 posted:

That's what I thought. Just out of curiosity did asuna die?

Kirito hacks the game, stabs the poo poo out of Kayaba, saves his waifu, then beats the poo poo out of Kayaba in real life outside of Azuna's hospital because he now has super human reaction speed or something from playing video games. I'd spoil this but really is anyone going to complain?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Kirito hacks the game, stabs the poo poo out of Kayaba, saves his waifu, then beats the poo poo out of Kayaba in real life outside of Azuna's hospital because he now has super human reaction speed or something from playing video games. I'd spoil this but really is anyone going to complain?

Ok, yea the ending the first story arc should have ended the series. That just sounds horrible.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

fallin1 posted:

Ok, yea the ending the first story arc should have ended the series. That just sounds horrible.

Arafatwa is getting a few things wrong. The person Kirito beats up isn't Kayaba, but a new character, Sugou, who took a bunch of the people trapped in SAO, including Asuna, as hostages in order to use them for mind control research (and also plans to rape Asuna). To rescue Asuna (Kirito doesn't know the full details of Sugou's plans), Kirito has to enter a new MMO, Alfheim Online (ALO), which was clumsily programmed by Sugou using the SAO source code as a base (although it contains some elements SAO didn't, like spellcasting and flight, and player skill is more important than leveling up) and is also an actual game played by not-trapped people. Kirito teams up with his adoptive younger sister, Suguha (known as Leafa in ALO), who has become an ALO player while Kirito was in SAO and has a (thankfully unrequited but still annoying) romantic interest in him. With the unexpected help of Kayaba (believed dead, but his consciousness has survived in virtual reality after the suicide of his physical body), Kirito hacks ALO in order to rescue Asuna (Sugou had sloppily copied the part of SAO's code that gave Kayaba a backdoor). Kirito is then attacked by Sugou in the real world, but survives thanks to his superior reflexes. The combination of the SAO and ALO incidents nearly kills virtual reality gaming, but it eventually gains popularity again thanks to "The Seed," an open-source program given to Kirito by Kayaba and then released online that lets amateurs create new virtual reality MMOs.

Still bad, just for different reasons, and even this part had some stuff I liked.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Okay so I just got interrupted trying to sleep when I came to the realization I've kept extremely poor track of something that I know I wanted to see but now don't know if it's already come out or not. This is extremely vague so please bear with me.

I recall hearing of a series of anime shorts, or a series of OVAs, or a series of movies (sorry) that were supposed to all come out as some massive project. To end the series, a game was also being made. For some reason I thought Lily Bergamo, Suda 51s next game, was the game in this series but it appears I'm wrong. If anyone has any clue what I'm talking about and can point me to a name, let me know. Other than what I've said, all I really know is that it's a high quality, high budget production so it's probably something super famous or popular, which means I don't doubt someone can give me a good response here. Thanks!

Edit: Welp, 1 minute after writing this I decide to see what else Grasshopper Manufacture made. Go figure, the only other game past Killer is Dead that isn't Lily Bergamo? The game that ends the series, called Short Peace, is Rinko Tsukigime's Longest Day. That was the answer all along. Once again the "type it out and you'll answer it yourself" style of thinking works.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 5, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could use a really awesome and decently long manga to read during downtime at work. Don't really care what genre, though I guess I've been in a mood for seinen as of late. For example, I just went through Knights of Sidonia which I liked a lot. I was thinking of picking up Vagabond again but it's been so long and I'm so far behind I might as well start over. Maybe Otoyomegatari or Vinland Saga? One thing that I really liked about Sidonia is that despite being very serious it had a lot of levity (basically everything involving Tsumugi). I guess that's another reason why I haven't mustered up the effort to get back into Vagabond, it's just so freaking dour. There's a good chance I've already read most of the obvious stuff but whatever can't hurt to ask either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

I could use a really awesome and decently long manga to read during downtime at work. Don't really care what genre, though I guess I've been in a mood for seinen as of late. For example, I just went through Knights of Sidonia which I liked a lot. I was thinking of picking up Vagabond again but it's been so long and I'm so far behind I might as well start over. Maybe Otoyomegatari or Vinland Saga? One thing that I really liked about Sidonia is that despite being very serious it had a lot of levity (basically everything involving Tsumugi). I guess that's another reason why I haven't mustered up the effort to get back into Vagabond, it's just so freaking dour. There's a good chance I've already read most of the obvious stuff but whatever can't hurt to ask either way.

Vagabond is one of my absolute favorites, and I'd heartily recommend reading it. Otoyomegatari and Vinland Saga are also both really good, but Otoyo is still rather short (I think we're around 30 chapters in?), while Vinland starts off pretty Shounen and gets more mature as it goes.

I'd recommend Shin Angyo Onshi, which is a completed Manhwa, and absolutely worth reading. I don't know what your standards of work-safe are, but I think Shin Angyo Onshi should fit into them considering your own suggestions.
Also, check out Dorohedoro.

• Locked thread