Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cream_Filling posted:

So a crappier FT-86 with half the power that you still wouldn't buy new.

The tC exists because it's cheap and probably has good margins while the 86/BRZ is there more as a marketing exercise and probably won't turn a profit for a while.

The tC doesn't get me a fresh supply of NOS parts though :colbert: . It was a joke post, obviously bringing back a 30 year old car without changes is monumentally stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cream_Filling posted:

It could easily look close to the concept with just the bumpers being fatter but I'm also in the "ha it's going to be a Juke coupe" camp because that would be funny as hell. They'd just wave their hands a little and go "AWD is better than RWD!"

they've all but confirmed it will be rwd / manual stock. but the concept has a cvt soo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Terrible Robot posted:

The tC doesn't get me a fresh supply of NOS parts though :colbert: . It was a joke post, obviously bringing back a 30 year old car without changes is monumentally stupid.

The thing I was getting at though was that the FT-86 is pretty much that car except at modern standards. And honestly actually building an old Celica probably wouldn't be that much cheaper due to it still being low volume and likely more labor intensive than modern designs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A MIRACLE posted:

they've all but confirmed it will be rwd / manual stock. but the concept has a cvt soo

Can I get a source/link on this?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-idx-freeflow-and-nismo-concepts-with-any-luck-youll-soon-know-these-as-510s-2013-tokyo-auto-show/

this is actually the best i can find, so they haven't confirmed anything officially. it would be retarded without a manual though because they would miss the target market completely

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A MIRACLE posted:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-idx-freeflow-and-nismo-concepts-with-any-luck-youll-soon-know-these-as-510s-2013-tokyo-auto-show/

this is actually the best i can find, so they haven't confirmed anything officially. it would be retarded without a manual though because they would miss the target market completely

The target market of middle-aged empty nesters?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Months and months ago there was a blurb in one of the auto rags about Nissan working on a cheap, sport car. Their "answer" to the FT-86, based on the Juke. Until I actually see a production version of that car that's RWD I'm just going keep assuming its the same vehicle mentioned in that blurb.

At least if I'm wrong I won't be disappointed.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I want to see a Nissan badged rebodied rear-engine Renault Twingo with go-fast bits. Not happening though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

I want to see a Nissan badged rebodied rear-engine Renault Twingo with go-fast bits. Not happening though.

The smart car version might be a little hotted up.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

All I want is a diesel hatch that doesn't come with a ridiculous "sorry you don't live in Europe" surcharge. Is there a reason diesels are so expensive in North America besides economies of scale?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

The smart car version might be a little hotted up.

Is it goign to look anything like the previous version? Because if so :barf:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a primate posted:

All I want is a diesel hatch that doesn't come with a ridiculous "sorry you don't live in Europe" surcharge. Is there a reason diesels are so expensive in North America besides economies of scale?

Diesel engines usually are slightly more expensive to make since they have to be stronger, and meeting US emissions is difficult and usually requires more expensive equipment. Also, as you already said, they are mega niche and nobody wants them.

Have you actually driven a small diesel hatch before? They're not very fun and I don't see why you would really want one absent heavy tax subsidies like in Europe.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The Golf TDI isn't a bad deal really, they're nicely equipped. There is always the new poor edition Jetta TDI at under 20k if you can deal with a sedan.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

a primate posted:

A Golf with the 2.0 tdi starts at about $35700 in Germany. and ends up at about $40000 at highline trim with a DSG. Diesels are expensive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

Have you actually driven a small diesel hatch before? They're not very fun and I don't see why you would really want one absent heavy tax subsidies like in Europe.

Yeah, except my Golf is way more fun to drive than any of the gas equivalents I test drove.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fknlo posted:

Yeah, except my Golf is way more fun to drive than any of the gas equivalents I test drove.

Each to their own and all, but you won't find that is the common view at all.

Most people buy the diesel because they (or their employer) is too cheap to run the petrol version and just live with the compromised driving experience.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Each to their own and all, but you won't find that is the common view at all.

Most people buy the diesel because they (or their employer) is too cheap to run the petrol version and just live with the compromised driving experience.

There's nothing compromised about diesel for ordinary driving, in fact the extra low-down grunt makes fast-ish smooth highway driving effortless, overtaking maneuvers in particular.

Is it unsuited for auto-X and trackdays? Absolutely, but that's not where we spend most of our driving time, not even die-hard enthusiasts.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

fknlo posted:

This. The gas engines from VW (at least, the 2.5L 5cyl VW puts used to put in their NA Golf/Jetta) I tried felt totally gutless. Granted, I didn't try the 2.0L TSI from the GTI. The massive lump of torque from the TDI engine is such a blast to play with. The rest of the rev range is pretty much useless, but it puts such a smile on my face.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

There's nothing compromised about diesel for ordinary driving, in fact the extra low-down grunt makes fast-ish smooth highway driving effortless, overtaking maneuvers in particular.

I'd still have to disagree - every smallish diesel I've driven still has big dead spots in the rev range that you end up having to deal with (the VWs with the 7 speed are particularly bad as the gearbox is clearly trying to optimise fuel economy with absolutely no regard for performance).

The more powerful versions are definitely better but then that applies to petrol too.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If you want a car that drives like a diesel in the US, buy a hybrid. Really. Same low end torque, same slow 0-60 time, same overall acceleration profile, same "it doesn't feel that slow", same good fuel economy, same low rolling resistance tires. What's missing is the sound and the turbo lag.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

1337JiveTurkey posted:

What's missing is the sound and the turbo lag.

And the intercooler icing up and hydrolocking the engine when it melts

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

sanchez posted:

And the engine taking forever to defrost anything.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The TDI isn't comparable in price / trim to a base Golf, it's comparable to a GTI, and you're crazy if you think a TDI is as fun to drive as a GTI.

Also diesels are inherently heavier than petrol, especially with the stuff to cope with US emissions / lovely fuel; you don't notice on the TDI because the car is heavy as poo poo already.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can do 30mpg at 80mph with my v8, with the added benefit of being able to roast the tires whenever i feel like it.

An 800 mile range would be cool, but over 200,000 miles, it's only $7000 in fuel savings. Just not worth it for the compromises that need to be made.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Snowdens Secret posted:

The TDI isn't comparable in price / trim to a base Golf, it's comparable to a GTI, and you're crazy if you think a TDI is as fun to drive as a GTI.

Also diesels are inherently heavier than petrol, especially with the stuff to cope with US emissions / lovely fuel; you don't notice on the TDI because the car is heavy as poo poo already.

At this point diesels appear to be enthusiast hipster-cred dickwaving vehicles.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sanchez posted:

I don't even understand how the thermodynamics would work with this. They don't, especially when your cooling source is ambient air. How do you expect to have condensation inside, let alone freezing?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you guys haven't seen it already, Toyota is moving USA corporate to Plano, Texas, from California. No word on whether that's going to lead to a more competitive Tundra or not.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DJ Commie posted:

I don't even understand how the thermodynamics would work with this. They don't, especially when your cooling source is ambient air. How do you expect to have condensation inside, let alone freezing?

Maybe if the ambient air is below freezing? I've never heard of this issue before by the way so this is a guess, not me being a jerk or anything like that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

The issues appears to be the Low Pressure EGR passing combustion water vapour into the intercooler (IC), which condenses and collects in the IC. If the water freezes and causes a blockage, you get a no start condition. If it thaws, the water is sucked into the combustion chamber and hydrolocks the engine if there is enough water to do so. Otherwise, you get a rough running engine for some distance until the water is burned off. On the continuum from a hydrolock to rough running engine, there could be bent connecting rods, damaged pistons, ring damage, etc. It can happen to anyone under the right conditions for enough water vapour to condense in the IC, as is apparent from the map.

The water gets in there while the car is running and then it freezes overnight, or similar

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

Is it unsuited for auto-X and trackdays? Absolutely, but that's not where we spend most of our driving time, not even die-hard enthusiasts.

fknlo posted:

The tdi we get here is in no way representative of a standard "diesel hatchback" in Europe.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of cool diesel cars, http://www.businessinsider.com/trident-iceni-magna-supercar-2014-4#!Gqun8

"Power for the fastest diesel supercar in the world comes from a 6.6 litre turbo-diesel V-8 with 700 lb/ft of torque that can push it to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cyrezar posted:

Speaking of cool diesel cars, http://www.businessinsider.com/trident-iceni-magna-supercar-2014-4#!Gqun8

"Power for the fastest diesel supercar in the world comes from a 6.6 litre turbo-diesel V-8 with 700 lb/ft of torque that can push it to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.

Even if they could somehow magically get 50mpg out of a duramax, that would still need a 40 gallon/151 liter tank to hit their "2000 mile" target.

edit: this seems like yet another idea man putting pretty numbers on paper to sucker in investors. Remember that carbon motors cop car that was supposed to be 20 grand with a 400hp diesel engine that got 30mpg? the website looks like it was built by a 12 year old.
edit2: The specs say it is a 6 speed autmatic, but the track pack gets you a carbon/kevlar clutch
edit3: their headquarters on google street view, seems super duper legit

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 30, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Powershift posted:

Even if they could somehow magically get 50mpg out of a duramax, that would still need a 40 gallon/151 liter tank to hit their "2000 mile" target.
...kay? You say that like it's a big deal. My Suburban has a 42 gallon tank. Of course that's just so it'd be able to drive more than 30 miles a tank if it had the 7.4, but I've got the 5.7 so I've got insane cruising range even at 12 MPG.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

...kay? You say that like it's a big deal. My Suburban has a 42 gallon tank. Of course that's just so it'd be able to drive more than 30 miles a tank if it had the 7.4, but I've got the 5.7 so I've got insane cruising range even at 12 MPG.

Your suburban isn't a small sports car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Powershift posted:

Your suburban isn't a small sports car.

Neither was my '01 93 convertible, where they decided "If we're gonna be heavy, gently caress it.", and gave it a 16 gallon tank. I could likely make 500 if it was mostly downhill. Yay, math! :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Residency Evil posted:

The tdi we get here is in no way representative of a standard "diesel hatchback" in Europe.

Well yeah, it's 140hp, where a lot of Euro diesels in the same segment hover somewhere around 90-120hp, but there are also plenty of diesels in the 140-180hp segment driving around here.

Still, I drove a rental Citroën DS4 with the 110hp 1.6 diesel around Scotland for a week, and it had adequate power for overtaking, while still getting around 4.5L/100km (~52mpg). It never felt underpowered, not much slower than my own car, which has 50hp more.

And my old car only had 70hp from a 1.3 diesel, but it never really felt underpowered when staying within the speed limits. Still had enough get-up-and-go for motorway overtaking.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

West SAAB Story posted:

Neither was my '01 93 convertible, where they decided "If we're gonna be heavy, gently caress it.", and gave it a 16 gallon tank. I could likely make 500 if it was mostly downhill. Yay, math! :v:

Volvo 7/900s come with a ~19 gallon tank. I guess they had to fill up all that space under the trunk somehow.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Volvo 7/900s come with a ~19 gallon tank. I guess they had to fill up all that space under the trunk somehow.

That's a fairly standard size for midsized cars isn't it? My Mazda6 had an 18gal tank. Ridiculous at 33mpg.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

Well yeah, it's 140hp, where a lot of Euro diesels in the same segment hover somewhere around 90-120hp, but there are also plenty of diesels in the 140-180hp segment driving around here.

Still, I drove a rental Citroën DS4 with the 110hp 1.6 diesel around Scotland for a week, and it had adequate power for overtaking, while still getting around 4.5L/100km (~52mpg). It never felt underpowered, not much slower than my own car, which has 50hp more.

And my old car only had 70hp from a 1.3 diesel, but it never really felt underpowered when staying within the speed limits. Still had enough get-up-and-go for motorway overtaking.

Believe me dude, I've spent a fair amount of time in European hatchbacks and understand where you're coming from. The average poster here dreaming about hot european diesel hatchbacks would call a 70hp 1.3 diesel dangerously underpowered and unsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you guys haven't seen it already, Toyota is moving USA corporate to Plano, Texas, from California. No word on whether that's going to lead to a more competitive Tundra or not.

I wonder what kind of handjobs and tax loopholes Rick Perry and his crew are giving them. Gross.