Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Don't forget about the "Red Buses".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Outside Dawg posted:

There's always the Beartooth Highway/Pass ride.

and Dead Indian Pass. Short but sweet, and in the same area.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would actually say Beartooth and Dead Indian are better ride to be perfectly honest.

Don't have the elevation but the traffic isn't quite as bad and scenery is still stunning. Better riding roads too in my opinion.

Better yet, do all of them. A ride from Yellowstone to Glacier is a nice day.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

HotCanadianChick posted:

The best is that the state legislature passed a law authorizing the speed limits to be raised to 70mph like a civilized place, the governor signed it into law, but the Oregon DOT refuses to actually change the speed limits and update the signs because 'there's not enough information available on the impact of raising the speed limit on safety'. :suicide:

Probably because the genius lawyers in the state legislature forgot to MANDATE a 70 mph vs. merely authorize one. And gently caress me I hate when a government passes a law and then the government bureaucracy says, "No gently caress you, we're not going to follow your stupid law."

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

I would actually say Beartooth and Dead Indian are better ride to be perfectly honest.

Don't have the elevation but the traffic isn't quite as bad and scenery is still stunning. Better riding roads too in my opinion.

Better yet, do all of them. A ride from Yellowstone to Glacier is a nice day.

IIRC Logan Pass is about 6600 ft and Beartooth Pass was a shade over 10,000, But yeah, Beartooth is a better road, both surface and traffic wise (no red buses :argh:) . Last I heard they were still doing resurfacing work on the Going to the Sun Road, usually takes a season or three for them to complete it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm actually sort of amazed Logan Pass isn't higher than Kings Hill Pass.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Outside Dawg posted:

IIRC Logan Pass is about 6600 ft and Beartooth Pass was a shade over 10,000
I did not know that.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

I did not know that.

I've yet to do the ride across on a road bike, I did it once on an old Yamaha TT500 (enduro) many moons ago (late May, BIG error in timing), and have been across it a number of times in a cage. It's billed as the highest paved road in the state, at least ten miles of the highway are above the treeline. It's only 68 miles long but it is one helluva a ride. A guy posted a helmet cam of the ride at the HOG site, not up on transferring video, but here's a link if you know a member or are one; https://members.hog.com/website/_videos/BeartoothRide.m4v

Fake edit: I'll see if I can hunt it down on you tube.

Not the same one but a cam of a bike ride across Beartooth; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTGyerRNRo

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 25, 2014

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, buying a coworker's CSR650 for $650 tomorrow. New tires, runs, needs front brake bled, needs carb attention, etc.

Why do i do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdpf8kGGlCI

It runs like crap!

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 29, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

Welp, buying a coworker's CSR650 for $650 tomorrow. New tires, runs, needs front brake bled, needs carb attention, etc.

Why do i do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdpf8kGGlCI

It runs like crap!

Isn't that the american market chopperised version?

Also, today I got pulled over by a cop. I was on a road marked 80km/h and had just gone through a corner with a recommended speed of 65. I was well aware of him being behind me and I made an effort to go extra slowly and ride slightly under the limit. This is how it went:

:cop:: Could you show me your license please?
:geno:: *pulls out license* here you go. Can I ask why you pulled me over?
:cop:: When you went around that curve back there you didn't brake or slow down at all. That was pretty dangerous.
:geno:: But...I wasn't speeding...? I don't understand.
:cop:: Are your brake lights working properly?
:geno:: Yeees, it works perfectly.
:cop:: Well I didn't see them [sic] come on before that bend, you were just going way too fast.
:geno:: .....
:cop:: You need to tone down that behaviour before you end up under a truck somewhere, the road's not a race track.
:geno:: But...I wasn't speeding...?
:cop:: You weren't driving to the conditions, you need to slow down before you kill yourself! I'm going to give you a warning this time.

:allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You live in a beautiful dystopian hellhole.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:frogout:of NZ.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha, wow, your NZ cops suck, badly. Come over to one of the proper Australian states. Should have just told him you engine braked down to a safe speed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Also, today I got pulled over by a cop. I was on a road marked 80km/h and had just gone through a corner with a recommended speed of 65. I was well aware of him being behind me and I made an effort to go extra slowly and ride slightly under the limit. This is how it went:
You were leaned over, so you were obviously racing.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Isn't that the american market chopperised version?

Basically a different tank/seat/wheels iirc.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

:cop:: Could you show me your license please?
:geno:: *pulls out license* here you go. Can I ask why you pulled me over?
:cop:: When you went around that curve back there you didn't brake or slow down at all. That was pretty dangerous.
:geno:: But...I wasn't speeding...? I don't understand.
:cop:: Are your brake lights working properly?
:geno:: Yeees, it works perfectly.
:cop:: Well I didn't see them [sic] come on before that bend, you were just going way too fast.
:geno:: .....
:cop:: You need to tone down that behaviour before you end up under a truck somewhere, the road's not a race track.
:geno:: But...I wasn't speeding...?
:cop:: You weren't driving to the conditions, you need to slow down before you kill yourself! I'm going to give you a warning this time.

Can you get a ticket for that? That's ridiculous.

Has anyone ever come up behind a cop and had them pull you over? Like, would that happen? I've come through some bends before, going as fast as 100mph, and coming up behind a cop. It was night and I was the only other vehicle out there, he had to notice me come tearing through the bend and up in his rear end. I also like to pace cops, so if they're going 80 on the freeway I'm right behind them doing the same, if it's the HOV.

Edit for a rant: The only time I've been pulled over was for lane splitting. I didn't get a ticket, he just chewed me out. "Educational stop". A couple weeks ago I saw a motorcycle lane split past me and right up behind a cop and he didn't do anything. I didn't want the guy to get pulled over, but I was kinda annoyed.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 29, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yep, they can get you for driving in a manner unsuited to the road conditions. Their discretion.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

Yep, they can get you for driving in a manner unsuited to the road conditions. Their discretion.

Most places have something like that or set the limit at 'reasonable and prudent' but it seems more to stop the dummies doing the speed limit in white out snow conditions or a torrential downpour.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can get a ticket for reckless driving. You can also get a ticket for 'unnecessary display of speed or acceleration', emphasis mine. Basically a cop can ticket you for whatever the gently caress he likes; there is no way this can possibly go wrong when the police have a bonus system where you get benefits, financial or otherwise, if you reach certain ticketing milestones per month.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Slavvy, I'm impressed at your ability not to lose your cool in that interaction. Reading it brought such rage at how obviously illogical and brainless the argument was. You live in some bizarre perfect storm of police power and prejudiced direction.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
And here I thought NZ was a beautiful section of Middle Earth.

A buddy of mine got pulled over once because the cop wanted to check out his bike.

Same guy got pulled over by a nice cop who had heard there were a group of sportbikers who were riding recklessly, i.e. over 100mph on a crowded highway + stunting. The cops had blocked the road half a mile up and my friend comes through the toll booth and the cop pulls him over. Cop tells him that he doesn't want my friend to get caught up in the road block and the stunters come through a few minutes later doing their thing (and blowing through the toll) and after they were all pulled over up ahead, the cop let my buddy go.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

You can get a ticket for reckless driving. You can also get a ticket for 'unnecessary display of speed or acceleration', emphasis mine. Basically a cop can ticket you for whatever the gently caress he likes; there is no way this can possibly go wrong when the police have a bonus system where you get benefits, financial or otherwise, if you reach certain ticketing milestones per month.

Have you purchased a helmet cam yet?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Slavvy, I'm impressed at your ability not to lose your cool in that interaction. Reading it brought such rage at how obviously illogical and brainless the argument was. You live in some bizarre perfect storm of police power and prejudiced direction.

I'm at the point where I can't summon the energy to get riled up about it. I just tend to sigh with resignation and try to be as polite as possible. The fundamental issue is that NZ has an unbelievably lovely driving record for a first-world country. This is mostly down to our lack of mandatory insurance, laughable licensing system and no driver training whatsoever being required to get a license. The nature of our political system means that instituting any sort of long-term, multi-administration fundamental change to the licensing/driver training system is completely impossible.

For this reason it's basically just lumped on the police to lower the road toll. The police have no realistic way to discourage people from driving like morons, so instead "speed kills" has become an issue of national hysteria; statistics and facts are ignored in favour of mindless harping. The police get blamed when the road toll is bad, the police blame speeding, ergo issuing more tickets is a way of showing that they're combating the problem. This is especially unfortunate because it gets lumped into the same category as drunk-driving (also at epidemic levels), which sucks because it makes it seem like driving drunk is a behavioural issue and not a massive cultural problem. It also means that the police bundle them both into the same safety policy; namely, pulling more people over at random to breath-test them, then finding things to issue tickets for when they turn out to be sober.

Ironically, the police here actually have a huge amount of independent oversight and all their actions are very closely scrutinised and dissected by the government and public. I honestly think the NZ police system is one of the best in the world. But no one wants to criticize their powers over motorists because that would be seen as being against the road safety agenda, which is about as suicidal politically as an American politician saying they're an atheist.

MoraleHazard posted:

And here I thought NZ was a beautiful section of Middle Earth.

A buddy of mine got pulled over once because the cop wanted to check out his bike.

Same guy got pulled over by a nice cop who had heard there were a group of sportbikers who were riding recklessly, i.e. over 100mph on a crowded highway + stunting. The cops had blocked the road half a mile up and my friend comes through the toll booth and the cop pulls him over. Cop tells him that he doesn't want my friend to get caught up in the road block and the stunters come through a few minutes later doing their thing (and blowing through the toll) and after they were all pulled over up ahead, the cop let my buddy go.

That is amazing. NZ is an awesome place if you aren't interested in riding bikes or making money. It's basically the world's biggest retirement home.

Chichevache posted:

Have you purchased a helmet cam yet?

I have a lovely Chinese camera permanently pointed at my speedo, with enough visibility to show where I am at any given time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So how many times have you been pulled over since you came on this board? Cause to be honest I break laws all the time and have yet to be pulled over on the bike, save for a DUI checkpoint. Maybe you should alter your riding.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I have a lovely Chinese camera permanently pointed at my speedo, with enough visibility to show where I am at any given time.

And this isn't enough to protect you? :psyduck:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Protect you from actually having to pay a ticket, I would hope yes. Protect you from being harassed and still given bullshit tickets I would wager not, sure doesn't in good ol USA #1

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

So how many times have you been pulled over since you came on this board? Cause to be honest I break laws all the time and have yet to be pulled over on the bike, save for a DUI checkpoint. Maybe you should alter your riding.

I've been pulled over only twice since joining SA IIRC. I always ride to the speed limits when I'm in sight of civilisation; I've only ever been pulled over for speeding on a bike once in my life and that was one of those incidents; this is the second time I've been pulled over since joining. In NZ the police don't need any kind of legal probable cause or whatever to pull you over, they're entirely free to do random checks with no reason.

The big deal thing that happened to me a while ago was when my neighbour called the cops on me and they came to my door and called me on the phone. I ride like a Law Abiding Citizen when I'm in the city, aside from my arguably too-fast lane-splitting, which no cop ever pulls you over for ever. Literally the only alteration I could do to my riding to get less police attention is to just stop riding entirely, I've done/am doing everything I can reasonably be expected to do. Most cops don't have the foggiest idea about anything to do with bikes so they tend to ignore them in a general sense, I've just been fairly unlucky.

Gillingham posted:

Protect you from actually having to pay a ticket, I would hope yes. Protect you from being harassed and still given bullshit tickets I would wager not, sure doesn't in good ol USA #1

Correct.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Remember that at least half of Slavvy's problems aren't even the result of his own riding, but instead his identity getting mixed up with that of ~THE CRIMSON DIRTBIKER~

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah it's like that anywhere tho, you never win fighting the cops, only fighting the courts.

Maybe you'll be a bit less of a target with another naked bike but then again maybe not. I think in my case it might just be that I do all that I can to fly under the radar as opposed to the flashy morons who ride like dicks in the city. But seriously, besides minor infractions like speeding in front of cops or what they might term 'reckless' riding where the cop didn't seem to mind, I've ridden past a cop with nothing on my front end but the forks and wheel after I crashed my bike and they didn't bat an eye. Its like if you wear gear and ride a standard here, you're invisible.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 30, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Remember that at least half of Slavvy's problems aren't even the result of his own riding, but instead his identity getting mixed up with that of ~THE CRIMSON DIRTBIKER~

:siren:I SAW THAT GUY THE OTHER DAY!:siren:

I'm not joking. It was a black bike, not a red one, and it looked like a junior-sized 125cc dirt bike of some description with a white placard where the headlight goes and no road gear whatsoever. He was riding along the footpath past the shops which are directly in front of the railway footbridge that I supposedly rode over. No helmet etc. I called the non-urgent police line and they told me they'd look into it.

nsaP posted:

Yeah it's like that anywhere tho, you never win fighting the cops, only fighting the courts.

Maybe you'll be a bit less of a target with another naked bike but then again maybe not. I think in my case it might just be that I do all that I can to fly under the radar as opposed to the flashy morons who ride like dicks in the city. But seriously, besides minor infractions like speeding in front of cops or what they might term 'reckless' riding where the cop didn't seem to mind, I've ridden past a cop with nothing on my front end but the forks and wheel after I crashed my bike and they didn't bat an eye. Its like if you wear gear and ride a standard here, you're invisible.

One of the contributing factors to me trading down.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'm not joking. It was a black bike, not a red one, and it looked like a junior-sized 125cc dirt bike of some description with a white placard where the headlight goes and no road gear whatsoever. He was riding along the footpath past the shops which are directly in front of the railway footbridge that I supposedly rode over. No helmet etc. I called the non-urgent police line and they told me they'd look into it.

Eagerly awaiting the post when the cops show up saying they got a phone call that you were riding down that footpath.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

One of the contributing factors to me trading down.

Pretty sure you should have called the emergency number.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Deeters posted:

Eagerly awaiting the post when the cops show up saying they got a phone call that you were riding down that footpath.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Deeters posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Pretty sure you should have called the emergency number.

I was on my bike at the time but, frankly, it just didn't occur to me. I don't think I have it in me to Think Of The Children that much.

Deeters posted:

:smith:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Tube strikes in London mean it's loving amateur hour on my commute. Not sure what annoys me the most - car drivers who think that if they can see the front of the mile-long jam they're in it'll make it shorter so they pull out and block the filter lane, cyclists who think their freebie high-vis vest obviates the need to look behind them before changing lines, or weekend bikers paddling their midlife crisis money sinks 20 yards then stopping because the gap is less than six feet wide.

Oh wait it's the last ones because they manage to combine all the sins of the others, also then take up all the loving space in the car park at work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress those people. And gently caress your big fuckoff harley that you can't thread through a gap even after one of the cars has moved over for you and gently caress your constant, pointless, juvenile, retarded blipping of the throttle for no reason. It isn't cool to begin with, and it certainly isn't cool when you're doing 5kmh with your ankle socks showing and your loafers dragging on the ground and you're stuck between a mazda 3 and a hiace.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy, just get a scoot. You'll feel more relaxed riding and I'm pretty sure the cops won't bug you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

One of those Aprilia 800cc scoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012