Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Party Boat posted:

Some general stuff:

Most normal stages have a damsel hidden somewhere in them - take her to the stage exit and you'll get a free kiss when you leave.

Or, if you find an altar, drop a live damsel on it and you'll be rewarded with a random item. A second damsel will give you the kapala, which allows you to regain health by grabbing the blood droplets that fly out when things die.

In general it's worth at least one bomb or rope to get a crate or damsel.

The idol in the mines usually isn't worth grabbing, as the boulder is just too destructive. Even if it doesn't kill you it'll probably smash something valuable or piss off a shopkeeper.

The Spelunky thread is pretty active (ignore the PC in the title, there are tons of Vita players in there) so you should be able to get more answers there and bulk out your friends list.

Thanks. Is it possible to kill the pissed of shopkeeper guarding s bunch of chests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Renoistic posted:

Thanks. Is it possible to kill the pissed of shopkeeper guarding s bunch of chests?
Yes. If you have a way to burrow to vault-guarding shopkeepers, they die like any other.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Dark Souls 2 on PC this week. I've played the first and it is probably my favourite game of all time. Plan on playing through this with a co op friend if at all possible. Anything I should know? I want literally no spoilers if possible!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ormy posted:

Dark Souls 2 on PC this week. I've played the first and it is probably my favourite game of all time. Plan on playing through this with a co op friend if at all possible. Anything I should know? I want literally no spoilers if possible!
Save your titanite, it's rare until fairly late on

Co-op matching seems to go by soul memory (total souls spend on your character) rather than level, so there's no reason not to level up every chance you get

Go faith+strength or dex+magic. Don't rely on just ranged or just melee.

You can repair rings when they break. Bear this in mind when reading the descriptions.

DO NOT ATTACK THE LITTLE PIG THINGS.

Apart from that, have fun!

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

Ormy posted:

There's a ring you can buy from one of the merchants in the main town called the Name-engraved Ring and it let's you pick a god and it makes it easier to co-op with players who picked the same god. So if you're having trouble meeting up with your co-op friend try that.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Thanks you two, just what I was after :).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ormy posted:

There's a ring in DS2 just like the ring of sacrifice in DS1 that breaks when you die wearing it but you keep your souls.

Only in DS2 you're allowed to repair it, infinite times.

So there's never a reason to lose 40,000 souls like happened sometimes in DS1 and was rage inducing. (Although even in DS1 you could get rings of sacrifice or use a homeward bone)

Get yourself a few of them and any time you have more than ~8K souls on you (repair bill cost) put one on.

Also the game plays like DS1 but isn't DS1. This'll get you killed a few times until you learn the differences, but that's dark souls anyways. Prepare to die.

All of the stats are good. All of them. You can't min/max as much as DS1. Especially pay attention to Adaptability. The game will feel sluggish at first until you put points into it.

Ignore the guy who said to go hybrid melee + magic. You can, if that's your thing, but feel free to go pure melee too. :black101: Just bring a bow so you can pull things occasionally (like in DS1). :colbert:

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Any special tips on Batman: Arkham Origins?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nohman posted:

I would play this series in order on hard mode if I were you. Well I guess for the story it doesn't matter that much, but I just don't think I would have liked AO if I hadn't played AC and AA first

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 23, 2014

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

ethanol posted:

I would play this series in order on hard mode if I were you. Well I guess for the story it doesn't matter that much, but I just don't think I would have liked AO if I hadn't played AC and AA first

I've already played Asylum and City.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

A friend just bought me Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. I know it's a 4x game and I've played a few of them now and then, but I'm pretty bad at them in general and know nothing of this one in particular. Any recommendations or crash-course knowledge I should know to not be a rampant pile of failure?

Rorac fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 24, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nohman posted:

The Challenge system sucks as a whole, and if you want to do the Predator ones in one playthrough you need a guide. I'd recommend one, except the one I used turned out to be crap and was wrong about a key thing (the difficulty of two rooms).

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Anyone had a chance to play Starpoint Gemini 2? Any tips?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
How hard is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance assuming I'm fairly adept at action games? Should I still play on normal?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RagnarokAngel posted:

How hard is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance assuming I'm fairly adept at action games? Should I still play on normal?

Play on normal til you get the hang of the controls, especially the dodge/parry. It's different to what you'll be used to if you're coming from pretty much any other series, and on harder settings, the game will punish you for any screwups. Once you've got a decent grasp of things, bump it up. MGR really comes alive on harder difficulties and flawlessly cutting your way through a battalion of elite enemies makes you feel like an unprecedented badass.

Also, grab a guide for the collectables. Some of the data units are hidden in the most devious places.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
^^^ is 100% correct, and there are 2 difficulty modes above hard, so if you're planning multiple playthroughs then getting used to the game kicking your rear end is a good idea once you feel confident. ChipCheezum made a video that explains MGR perfectly, but if you're not up to watch a video, one of the most important things is to buy the move "Defensive Offense" as it essentially functions as your dodge move. Also, I don't remember if this is in the video, but you'll probably want to turn the camera sensitivity all the way up too since it's silly slow in such a fast game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Xythe posted:

^^^ is 100% correct, and there are 2 difficulty modes above hard, so if you're planning multiple playthroughs then getting used to the game kicking your rear end is a good idea once you feel confident. ChipCheezum made a video that explains MGR perfectly, but if you're not up to watch a video, one of the most important things is to buy the move "Defensive Offense" as it essentially functions as your dodge move. Also, I don't remember if this is in the video, but you'll probably want to turn the camera sensitivity all the way up too since it's silly slow in such a fast game.

There's one boss in particular (Monsoon) who functions as your ultimate test of dodging/parrying. If you don't have it down by then, he will bury you. It takes a good while to get used to, since it really is unlike most games you've played, but once it clicks, the hard part is over.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

www.beforeiplay.com posted:

On Zombie Island (the only DLC I've played), make a beeline to the Southwestern area of Hollows End and talk to Zombie TK Baha and get the Brains quest, which will require you to get hundreds of brains from zombies.

I would add that, unlike most (if not all) of the other quests in the entire game, there is no Claptrap announcement or quest to point you to this area. So don't go into it thinking, "Gosh, I'll sure have to make that one a priority once they finally tell me to go there!" or else you'll wind up grinding for brains...

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for The Banner Saga?
EDIT: I mean anything above and beyond what's in the wiki?

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, and tbh it wasn't even that good a joke.

It was all right. I haven't thought about a fax machine in years. That's worth a chuckle alone. Heh heh, do one about dot-matrix printers.

Is Wargame Red Dragon the right next step for me if the last RTS I beat was Command and Conquer Red Alert?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

Not really, and I'm not just saying that because I contributed most of it.

There's an upcoming patch that will fix the final boss's difficulty but there's no point in waiting, it'll probably be updated by the time you get that far.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Caufman posted:

Is Wargame Red Dragon the right next step for me if the last RTS I beat was Command and Conquer Red Alert?

No. No way whatsoever.

This is Giantbomb's look at W:RD. If you haven't played an RTS since C&C:RA, I'd say your next step is Starcraft 2, Company of Heroes or something in the Dawn of War WH40K series.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Caufman posted:

Wargame isn't really an RTS. Its a real time grognard simulator.

Wargame is the only videogame I've ever played in my entire life where I booted the thing up, started a match against a computer, and had no loving clue what to do. I'm serious, I sat there clicking on every single part of the UI for like 15 minutes, and I couldn't figure it out. I had to watch loving youtube videos just to figure out how to deploy units!

I'm a software engineer and I've been playing videogames since I could walk.

There's absolutely no base building and it plays really different. Its like Company of Heroes on crack, turned into a war game simulator for retired generals. You practically have to have combat experience to make sense of it all.

You should really play Company of Heroes first, and if you really like that then maybe try out Wargame. But if you like Command and Conquer and want an RTS then Wargame is nothing like that. What Bedurndurn said, try SC2 or CoH or DoW. NOT Wargame. Oh god not wargame. :stare:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 30, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Zaphod42 posted:

Wargame is the only videogame I've ever played in my entire life where I booted the thing up, started a match against a computer, and had no loving clue what to do. I'm serious, I sat there clicking on every single part of the UI for like 15 minutes, and I couldn't figure it out. I had to watch loving youtube videos just to figure out how to deploy units!

X-Com? Any flight sim? Jagged Alliance? Masters of Orion? Hell, any Paradox game? I suppose the latter three are tooltipped to hell and I don't know how long you've been able to walk, but I still smell hyperbole. Perhaps you're not including reading the manual in the car or while the game installed.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Vidaeus posted:

Don't try and level up every character you have evenly, focus on your main party first. Renown becomes increasingly scarce and there is never a point in the game where you use more than the standard party size in a battle. You can safely leave side-characters at level 1 unless you plan on making use of their abilities as part of your overall strategy. You're going to have a massive pool of party members by the end, even taking into account the ones that can die or permanently leave.

I made the mistake of doing that when I played through. I was able to get through most of the game until the final battle which, as mentioned above, is a massive difficulty spike that forced me to turn the difficulty to easy to beat it. I simply couldn't do enough damage with my underleveled party.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

moller posted:

X-Com? Any flight sim? Jagged Alliance? Masters of Orion? Hell, any Paradox game? I suppose the latter three are tooltipped to hell and I don't know how long you've been able to walk, but I still smell hyperbole. Perhaps you're not including reading the manual in the car or while the game installed.

I dunno I figured out X-com and Jagged Alliance and even MOO just by clicking my way through them. I played X-Com when I was like 9 and had no trouble.

Flight sims you may have a point. I still can usually at least take off by pressing every button on the keyboard, but there was one game where I always choose to start "in the air" because I couldn't figure out the controls for taking off.

I'm definitely talking about not reading the manual at all, here. If you read the manual you could figure out even Wargame. But if you're a hardcore gamer, most of the time you can pick a game up just by pressing a few buttons and seeing what happens. And I bought Wargame digital, so no manual. (Yeah I could have downloaded some .pdf probably)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 30, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Was playing through Just Cause 2 and I sort of started cheating by unlocking all of the black market.

Is it worth it to start over without cheating? Does it feel grindy to unlocking all the weapon upgrades or is it just busy work before you can start having real fun?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Was playing through Just Cause 2 and I sort of started cheating by unlocking all of the black market.

Is it worth it to start over without cheating? Does it feel grindy to unlocking all the weapon upgrades or is it just busy work before you can start having real fun?

It's just busy work, so don't worry and keep playing.

If you're playing on PC, I'd suggest getting the mods that cut out the Black Market cutscenes (if you don't already have them).

KoB
May 1, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

The fun part is loving around. The most popular mods just unlock everything in the Black Market and make it more accessible. Have fun! That game is super dumb in the best ways.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Thanks a lot. Now I will probably just go hog wild and get infinite ammo and all that nice stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Thanks a lot. Now I will probably just go hog wild and get infinite ammo and all that nice stuff.

That really is the best way to play it. Stuff like unlocking fast travel points, or finding money to buy ammo, etc, just kind of feels like obstacles that get in the way of the real fun of the game which is blowing poo poo up and taking absolutely nothing seriously.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno I figured out X-com and Jagged Alliance and even MOO just by clicking my way through them. I played X-Com when I was like 9 and had no trouble.

Flight sims you may have a point. I still can usually at least take off by pressing every button on the keyboard, but there was one game where I always choose to start "in the air" because I couldn't figure out the controls for taking off.

I'm definitely talking about not reading the manual at all, here. If you read the manual you could figure out even Wargame. But if you're a hardcore gamer, most of the time you can pick a game up just by pressing a few buttons and seeing what happens. And I bought Wargame digital, so no manual. (Yeah I could have downloaded some .pdf probably)

Yeah, I wasn't defending Wargame: Something, which is probably a steaming pile. I was just being nostalgic for the obtuse games of my childhood.

Also, I would feel bad removing the Just Cause 2 black market cutscenes because I love Sloth Demon's voice acting. I was about to say he was my favorite voice in the game but then I remembered the delivery of "Try to transport fuel now, you pipeline jerks!"

moller fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 1, 2014

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Can someone knowledgeable about Divinity II confirm and/or add to what is in the wiki?

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Divinity_2:_The_Dragon_Knight_Saga

I wonder if some of the stuff in there, particularly the entry about strength vs. intelligence for normal damage and magic damage, was written before the expansion or some major patch and is no longer valid. Based on my testing with the stat points it doesn't work like the wiki says.

Also, is there some way to track all the keys, items, etc. I learn about through mindreading people in the game or am I stuck writing that down or trying to remember it all?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

That really is the best way to play it. Stuff like unlocking fast travel points, or finding money to buy ammo, etc, just kind of feels like obstacles that get in the way of the real fun of the game which is blowing poo poo up and taking absolutely nothing seriously.

I don't mind having to unlock the fast travel points/locations, lets me know where I've been and you can always call in/hijack a copter or jet to get where you want pretty fast.

Otherwise yeah go wild with the mods, I'm pretty sure I used Gibbed's 90% cost reduction on the Black Market but either way the game's much more fun when you can call in a new ride or new weapons whenever you need them.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Without mods the tiny helicopter (Rowlinson) when fully upgraded is brokenly good and dirt cheap. Most of the vehicles are totally disposable though, which makes them costing a tenth of the money you've hoarded sort of moronic. I suppose I also never bought a land vehicle except on a lark.

I think the game worked fine as shipped but I don't think making the jets and such affordable to toss around would demean the experience in any way.

Edit: Also, the Just Cause 2 ending: throwaway gibberish or clever satire of the CIA and cold war era american foreign policy in Central America and SE Asia?

I liked how Tom had a tropical drink in his hand, even during an action scene.

moller fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 1, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really enjoyed all the missions and stuff in JC2 but the biggest hurdle is how expensive everything is so mod that away. It's a big beautiful world and it's even better when you assault a base without having to worry about your getaway or get stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cash.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
I would like to know about Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars , please.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any advice for The Secret World?

There was a bunch of stuff in the steam thread during the last major sale when TSW was $7 about which factions were the best, what to avoid, etc.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

pentyne posted:

Any advice for The Secret World?

There was a bunch of stuff in the steam thread during the last major sale when TSW was $7 about which factions were the best, what to avoid, etc.
The factions all play fundamentally the same, though the fluff text is all different and you can probably guess which of the three you should play based on what sounds most appealing: a fourth-wall-breaking faceless overseer (Illuminati), a stuffy relic of the middle ages trying to stay relevant (Templar), or "generic Asian mysticism but at least written pretty compellingly" (Dragon). I have only ever played Dragon but I have to acknowledge the Illuminati sounds like fun.

You cannot really mess up your character permanently since you can eventually unlock every single skill in the game, so that is nice. Basically just go out and play through the pretty awesome tutorial (maybe a couple of times) and dive in. The game is so absolutely stuffed full of great voice acting and dialogue and scenery that I pretty much recommend it to literally anyone who likes MMORPG-style games. I do not do player-versus-player in any game so I have nothing useful to add in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Pick whatever faction you like best, though the Dragons are generally regarded as having the worst quest flavor (and that's pretty much the only thing that differs between the factions). Everything else is straightforward, really.