Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Ah gently caress this Darklurker poo poo. Another fight where getting to the boss is harder than the boss itself. :what:

Darklurker is interesting because for spellcasters it rolls over and dies almost instantaneously, but is one of the most dangerous bosses in the game to non-magical melee.

It's because it's horrifyingly weak to both lightning and fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Shindragon posted:

Try fighting the darKlurker with a melee build. :colbert: (aka fists only)

It wasn't that bad at all dual-weilding lightning mace +10 and mace of the insolent, placing sunlight blade on both and going to town on it. It did maybe three attacks before dieing.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I really wish they'd allow red soapstoned phantoms to use estus, I'm getting tired of having to kill the host 5 times over.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Azuth0667 posted:

It wasn't that bad at all dual-weilding lightning mace +10 and mace of the insolent, placing sunlight blade on both and going to town on it. It did maybe three attacks before dieing.

Yeah well weapon buffs are incredible strong and the mace is one of the best weapons in the game so that isn't exactly a surprise.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Domattee posted:

I really wish they'd allow red soapstoned phantoms to use estus, I'm getting tired of having to kill the host 5 times over.

I don't know why people do this. If I'm invading you against your will as a redbro, bluebro, or bell dude, chug that Sunny D all you want, it's the invader's job to deal with it since you didn't ask for me to invade you. If you want to willingly summon a red phantom and beat the poo poo out of him on completely unfair terms, you might as well just put together a gank posse so at least he dies quickly instead of wasting everyone's time.

I feel bad because I started bringing dual avelyns to duels to punish chuggers. :qq:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ah poo poo I think I accidentally ate the rotten soul from the rotten one in the gulch. Do I have to get a million soul memory to open the door to the king now?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Brasseye posted:

Ah poo poo I think I accidentally ate the rotten soul from the rotten one in the gulch. Do I have to get a million soul memory to open the door to the king now?
You just have to have gotten them, actually carrying them with you is not required. I traded in mine at the sorcery dude's and everything worked fine.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Brasseye posted:

I believe it checks for "are the four bosses dead" not "are the four Great Souls in your inventory".

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Haha you can pick up loot from NPC phantoms as an invader in the bell tower. I just got summoned into Belfry Sol and saw an item on the ground and it was an Orma's Greatshield. Thanks host! :allears:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Thats a relief! Thanks fellas. I had a great lightning spear burning a hole in my inventory and couldnt wait to level up and use it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm getting anxiety before jumps goons, help. It's so stressful.

Doctor Whose
Sep 6, 2013
gently caress this giant rat. Blew all morning trying to kill that bastard and he just two shots me. I feel terrible just stopping there and trying elsewhere.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Do weapon buffs you apply stick around if you switch to a different weapon? As in, can you buff your main and offhand with pyromancy/sorcery/miracles at once?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also I went up blind to I think the pursuers platform and go lit up hahahah. He came in on a bird Bran-style.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Mimetic posted:

Do weapon buffs you apply stick around if you switch to a different weapon? As in, can you buff your main and offhand with pyromancy/sorcery/miracles at once?

Resins don't, no idea about enchantments.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Doctor Whose posted:

gently caress this giant rat. Blew all morning trying to kill that bastard and he just two shots me. I feel terrible just stopping there and trying elsewhere.

Yeah I honestly thought he was the hardest boss in the game. I beat him on console after probably over an hour of tearing my hair out and this time round I'm tempted to just duck that ugly bastard.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'm getting to the point where my soul memory is high enough that the rate of white-stoning and invading/getting invaded has really slowed down. One thing I'd like to see is that once you reach a certain amount of high soul memory, the percentage restrictions stop. It's not like there's much of a difference between someone with 1.5 mil SM and another at 2.5 mil SM. I just wanna kill and be killed man, but looks like I'm going to have to start the final leg of the main game now....or start a new game. :darksouls:

Sivek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 30, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mimetic posted:

The moment you put the weapon away the buff vanishes instantly. The only way you can buff both weapons at once is either with the caster hybrid weapons or by buffing your offhand with a staff/chime in your mainhand, switching to your mainhand weapon, then using a resin.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Brasseye posted:

Yeah I honestly thought he was the hardest boss in the game. I beat him on console after probably over an hour of tearing my hair out and this time round I'm tempted to just duck that ugly bastard.

He's a giant loving bastard - I hate him. Sif wasn't this hard either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat the rat on my second try. He honestly didn't seem that bad, provided you take out his little rat friends before fighting him so you don't get poisoned. I used lingering flame and lured all the rats into it, killing them all in one big explosion. After that the boss wasn't really difficult, its just Sif without a sword and the ability to actually kick you while you stand under it.

The "trick" it pulls when it gets to low health is a real dick move though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doctor Whose posted:

I feel terrible just stopping there and trying elsewhere.

Why? That's how you should play. In 2 it works even better because you can instantly teleport anywhere.

Push one direction, get stuck? Well, lets try a different route, I"ll come back for these guys in a short bit, just you wait...

And its one of those fights where either he kills you in 2 hits or you kill him in like 40 seconds. There's a reason there's a bonfire right outside and you don't have to run anywhere. Most people have to try it a few times to get it.

Vintersorg posted:

He's a giant loving bastard - I hate him. Sif wasn't this hard either.

Sif had a giant sword! He was way harder. As long as you kill his buddies rat is much easier than Sif.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its just strange to me that jumping is three button movements, one of which shares the same button as directional movement.

I know I just need to get good.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah well weapon buffs are incredible strong and the mace is one of the best weapons in the game so that isn't exactly a surprise.

True I wish I could place sunlight blade on defender greatsword for the ultimate in lightning jackassery.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Kanos posted:

The moment you put the weapon away the buff vanishes instantly. The only way you can buff both weapons at once is either with the caster hybrid weapons or by buffing your offhand with a staff/chime in your mainhand, switching to your mainhand weapon, then using a resin.

Bummer. I was looking forward to a dual flame weapon buffed +10 fire mace build, because there's no kill like overkill. I guess I can still do the mainhand. Presumably the 30% buff would help the offhand as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

euphronius posted:

Its just strange to me that jumping is three button movements, one of which shares the same button as directional movement.

I know I just need to get good.

Everything about dark souls controls is kinda strange and clunky at first, but you get used to it and then it fits you like a glove.

If you don't like jumping being on stick, you can move it to circle like DS1, but I like stick way better.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I found the timing of the big rat's lunging attack very awkward, and wasn't sure which way to roll to best avoid it. Agreed that lingering flame or a big arcing sword swipe was essential to take out his minions before the fight started.

It was satisfying as hell to finally dodge all his attacks right, stand under him and carve his belly up with my greatsword though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of awful that I have to grind red phantoms for their gear now. And that some aren't guaranteed spawns, like the guy with the Catarina set.

quote:

I just got summoned into Belfry Sol and saw an item on the ground and it was an Orma's Greatshield. Thanks host!

Weird, I saw that too. Is it a guaranteed drop maybe?

e: Is it worth using soul arrows, lightning spears, resonant soul, and pyromancies or should I switch some to more utilitarian stuff? I've only just gotten the ability to use offensive miracles.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Vintersorg posted:

I hope everyone dies on Skeleton Lords the first time (while going in blind). It's such a "haha gently caress - thanks From". To me it's one of the truest :darksouls: moments.

I will have you know I kited that horde for a good 10 minutes with a rapier after killing the bosses. I now carry a halberd as my third weapon...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have a mace +9 and two slabs and am doing a Strength build. Should I: a) take it to +10; and b) infuse it at McDuff's (and if so, what element)? I'm worried that split resistances and the decreased scaling are going to result in it being worse if I infuse it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I had the hardest time on that giant rat until I found out how to wipe all his annoying tiny rat buddies. Chucked a throwing knife at the nearest one and then immediately cast Chaos Storm pyromancy. Your cast time will finish just as they all run into the flames and die, leaving you to fight the giant rat in peace.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

What soul memory would someone have to be to give me ~129000 souls after I bellbroed them to death? Because I think I may have encountered my first hacker. Guy went down really easy though. Lucky I was at 2m SM to begin with, so this isn't going to screw me at all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess they throw you a little bone since as a magic user you can target them from the entrance and quick cast kill em (Lions Mage if you got it). But as someone said, he's a bit unpredictable when it comes to the lunges. He's doable and I eventually beat him (when he started puking I just wailed on him, didn't give a poo poo my stuff was breaking).

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
My Knight class is right around mid 50s level wise. Having fun as a pure physical melee type characters, BUT, I really want to try out some of the cool magic that all the summoned(PVE AND PVP) dudes are using. Should I just try to finish the game as a Knight and then start a new character, or is it possible to respec without gimping myself?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That censor list is hilarious. Learned a few new words, surprised that cabron is on there :ese:. They censor jewboy but not jew?

Guess when I get around to rolling a pvp character, I'll know how to get around that list.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Holy gently caress the big hallway in Undead Crypt is killing me.

Is there any way to stop the guy from ringing the bell and respawning all of the phantoms? I'm able to lure out some of the fat knights and take them out so I just have phantoms to deal with, but getting a giant fuckoff magic bukkake from 6 different phantoms is getting really old.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

beefart posted:

Is there any way to stop the guy from ringing the bell and respawning all of the phantoms? I'm able to lure out some of the fat knights and take them out so I just have phantoms to deal with, but getting a giant fuckoff magic bukkake from 6 different phantoms is getting really old.

The bell ringer is hiding under the staircase leading down from the entrance. Drop off the side of the stairs and gank him.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

beefart posted:

Look under the stairs. :ssh:

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Is it worth using soul arrows, lightning spears, resonant soul, and pyromancies or should I switch some to more utilitarian stuff? I've only just gotten the ability to use offensive miracles.

Great Heavy Soul Arrow, Great Lightning Spear and Great/Resonant Soul are all great. I found Pyromancy to be pretty underwhelming for the most part; Flame Swathe is pretty good on some bosses. Forbidden Sun is okay but you don't get it until very late in the game and it takes something like 4 attunement slots for very few casts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

True I wish I could place sunlight blade on defender greatsword for the ultimate in lightning jackassery.

The Defender Greatsword's 2H L2 is a free sunlight blade.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

dear guys I want to be the hexing man but how should I build for that, I know it scales off your lower value out of int/faith, but is there anything else crucial barring attunement? Which is the best catalyst for the job also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

beefart posted:

He doesn't ring the bell until you pass a certain point so check under the stairs, pull him away from the bell and murder him.