Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Have you actually heard the song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I have now, the name makes sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My9I8q-iJCI

I thought they were going to imply that his stand is also an amalgam of another one and he had taken the second part to reflect that.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Brought To You By posted:

I have now, the name makes sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My9I8q-iJCI

I thought they were going to imply that his stand is also an amalgam of another one and he had taken the second part to reflect that.

It may well be, given that he seems to have 2 different powers.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Brought To You By posted:

I know I am a Rock is an actual song, is the second half a reference to another one?

It's the second line of the song, I am a Rock. Searching for a song titled "I am an Island" just brings up the same Simon and Garfunkle song. I was kind of surprised that it was a folk rock reference, but I guess there's been Bob Dylan and Neil Young references already.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chefscientist posted:

It's the second line of the song, I am a Rock. Searching for a song titled "I am an Island" just brings up the same Simon and Garfunkle song. I was kind of surprised that it was a folk rock reference, but I guess there's been Bob Dylan and Neil Young references already.

Plus this isn't the first time he's referenced Simon & Garfunkel what with the weird dude from Steel Ball Run who bred insects under his skin (as just an everyday thing, not as a stand power) and was named Mrs. Robinson despite being a guy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okuyasu straight up name drops Simon & Garfunkel in the Italian Cooking chapters of Part 4.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Man, just got caught up with Jojolion. Been liking it so far, but sometimes it seems more like something Junji Ito would write if he put down the body horror and went straight supernatural mystery.

Sorry if it's already been covered, but why is it called Jojolion? There is a Jojo, but no lions. So far.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DicktheCat posted:

Man, just got caught up with Jojolion. Been liking it so far, but sometimes it seems more like something Junji Ito would write if he put down the body horror and went straight supernatural mystery.

Sorry if it's already been covered, but why is it called Jojolion? There is a Jojo, but no lions. So far.

Pronounce it Jojo-lee-an, like evangelion.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 28, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The -lion comes from the word evangelion, referring to the blessing of the Christian gospel, and the myth of Pygmalion.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I thought it was in reaction to Snoop changing his name to Snooplion.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The -lion comes from the word evangelion, referring to the blessing of the Christian gospel, and the myth of Pygmalion.

Also, the anime.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Mimir posted:

Also, the anime.

Specifically not the anime, if I recall that particular Araki interview correctly. :v:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The artist

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You left out the superior one:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hace posted:

Can we shift gravity 90 degrees so I can use this as my wallpaper forever? Because god drat that's awesome.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I love that MANDOM gets his own little corner on that picture. Ringo Roadagain is pretty much the only monster-of-the-week in Jojo I wish we'd have gotten more of.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 29, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ringo Roadagain is up there with Hol Horse and Prosciutto as some of JoJo's best monsters of the week.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If they ever do make a SBR game adaptation, Ringo is going to be the most intense encounter of them all, mark my words. I'm not a big fan of SBR overall in terms of writing, but the whole Mandom encounter was one of the best character building moments for Gyro and Ringo was an appropriately epic villain.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Ringo is a character whose power seems really weak on paper but is devastating in practice, and I think really shows off the strength in Araki's direction in fights. Six seconds of rewind seems so worthless until you see a dude take down an entire group with no stress.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Ringo Roadagain is up there with Hol Horse and Prosciutto as some of JoJo's best monsters of the week.

Hol Horse is hard to be considered a monster of the week given how many times he showed up.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, Hol Horse is more of a running gag than anything else.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

I love that MANDOM gets his own little corner on that picture. Ringo Roadagain is pretty much the only monster-of-the-week in Jojo I wish we'd have gotten more of.

I still want more Nero body horror.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: I'd like to think it was pretty obvious I was using that phrase in reference to Hol Horse just as a random villain, but alright.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The Ringo fight is also memorable because it happens around the time when SBR became a monthly series, so we start getting all those amazingly detailed closeups of beautiful manfaces. :gay:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hace posted:

Goddamn, this is good, but how can you miss the "go! go! zeppeli"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It got more bizarre.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's so shameless it's great.

EDIT: Also

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 30, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
They kept Funny Valentine yet they changed Pucci to "Pucchi". I don't even understand.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They kept Funny Valentine yet they changed Pucci to "Pucchi". I don't even understand.

They did it so people pronounce his name better.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

MonsterEnvy posted:

They did it so people pronounce his name better.

Well that's just dumb.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
pucchi died on the way back to his home planet

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Girl, you need Pucci control.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Waffleman_ posted:

It got more bizarre.
I'm really interested to read their explanation of King Crimson.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Perigryn posted:

I'm really interested to read their explanation of King Crimson.

It's really really simple.

quote:

Emperor Crimson
Part 5
Diavolo's Stand that can erase time, obliterating events that would have occurred, leaving only the outcome intact. With Eulogy, the second face on its forehead can see into the future. Its physical attacks are incredibly powerful, too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
King Crimson is also very fast. The downside to it is that it can only go a few feet away from Diavolo and is about as durable as a baby.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 30, 2014

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm more interested to know how the heck does Doppio/Diavolo work.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

MonsterEnvy posted:

King Crimson is also very fast. The downside to it is that it can only go a few feet away from Diavolo and is about as durable as baby.
The latter doesn't matter much since his ability makes him nearly impossible to hit anyway.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
With all the "wink wink nudge" going on in these bios, you'd think they'd throw a "It just works" joke in there.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where do I go to download Jojolion? Araki collection stopped updating a handful of chapters into volume 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Everything up to the latest chapter is on batoto.

edit: got rid of the :filez:

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 30, 2014

• Locked thread