Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey, remember that teacher in Montana who raped a student, got a 1 month sentence, and had the judge justify it on the grounds that "the student led him in"? Montana supreme court just overturned the sentence. Waiting to see what happens next here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AShamefulDisplay posted:

hahah... PHILLY!!! yup. 

Man her other videos are a loving doozy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQnAMcrPf9Y

Man, what a smarmy rear end in a top hat

I think what annoys me the most about these types is that they are really smug for being so incredibly dumb. Everyone is pretty dumb on most topics, but libertarian types really think that have the magic cure for every problem and that solution is always less government, *magic happens*, free enterprise saves everyone!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I agree, we should have less government.

*dies of lead poisoning and smallpox working 16 hour days in a factory at age 10*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cheekio posted:

The youth movement for rebranding sociopathy as Libertarianism is so innocent it makes me cringe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oP5NR6mr8

edit:innocence>innocent.

They are always upper class, relatively attractive, healthy, white people. ALWAYS.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Radish posted:

I think what annoys me the most about these types is that they are really smug for being so incredibly dumb. Everyone is pretty dumb on most topics, but libertarian types really think that have the magic cure for every problem and that solution is always less government, *magic happens*, free enterprise saves everyone!

There's no reason to address the roads issue if rolling your eyes is working as a response. See: Achilles bragging about his demigodhood and dismissing detractors over 'that tiresome heel discussion'.

edit: word good again.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 30, 2014

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
More meat for the Machine :unsmigghh:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/04/29/3432433/tennessee-criminalize-pregnant-women/

quote:

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam (R) has approved a measure that will allow Tennessee to bring criminal charges against pregnant women who use drugs for potentially harming their fetuses, even though there isn’t conclusive scientific evidence that being exposed to illicit drugs in the womb causes long-term harm to children.

The governor’s approval of the legislation comes despite a massive outcry from reproductive rights and criminal justice groups across the country, who say that criminalizing pregnant women is the wrong policy approach. Threatening to bring charges against women who are struggling with substance abuse dissuades them from coming forward to seek the medical treatment they need. It’s also a policy that disproportionately harms low-income and non-white women.

“Today, the Tennessee governor has made it a crime to carry a pregnancy to term if you struggle with addiction or substance abuse,” Alexa Kolbi-Molinas, a staff attorney with the ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project, said. “This deeply misguided law will force those women who need health care the most into the shadows. Pregnant women with addictions need better access to health care, not jail time.”

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I brought it up with a friend yesterday that libertarianism is basically a superstitious cult with magic incantations and everything. But instead of putting hexes on people and crafting magic potions, they have a handful of "magic" phrases and have the basest and most superficial understanding of everything.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

hahah... PHILLY!!! yup. 

Man her other videos are a loving doozy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQnAMcrPf9Y

Man, what a smarmy rear end in a top hat

"Mom, not now I was just about to explain who will build the roads to them--no but mom I can't set the table right now, the people need a real answer I can't leave them with just the Home Alone scream. Cook dinner later mom, I still need the kitchen...ugh fine! Tyrant. No nothing, nothing I didn't say anything."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So in GOP news, Rick Scott had a roundtable with a bunch of old people in Boca Raton to hear from them how Obama's awful Medicare cuts that didn't happen are affecting them.

Shocking only Rick Scott, everyone was reported to be happy with their Medicare coverage and showed support for the PPACA.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

*dies of lead poisoning and smallpox working 16 hour days in a factory at age 10*

Fortunately, that factory suffered a labor shortage after being unable to find new children willing to work in its unsafe conditions and the company went out of business as competitors with better factories increased production to meet the demand. :unsmith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Diane Feinstein will not buy the L.A. Clippers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can anyone (Joementum) tell me whether it's worth my while to read Frances Lee's book on Congress?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Senate republicans filibustered the minimum wage hike. Not surprising, but gives Dems something to campaign on

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Senate republicans filibustered the minimum wage hike. Not surprising, but gives Dems something to campaign on
But if we raise the minimum wage we'll lose millions of jobs!! :supaburn:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

VitalSigns posted:

"Mom, not now I was just about to explain who will build the roads to them--no but mom I can't set the table right now, the people need a real answer I can't leave them with just the Home Alone scream. Cook dinner later mom, I still need the kitchen...ugh fine! Tyrant. No nothing, nothing I didn't say anything."

Although realistically she's way too young to know what Home Alone is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

Can anyone (Joementum) tell me whether it's worth my while to read Frances Lee's book on Congress?

I haven't read it and doubt I would. I prefer reading popular narratives over academic texts when it comes to books and will just try to find a summary article by the author if I'm looking for research. I also have to guess that there's more interesting research on partisan polarization in the US Senate that's come out since 2009.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey, remember that teacher in Montana who raped a student, got a 1 month sentence, and had the judge justify it on the grounds that "the student led him in"? Montana supreme court just overturned the sentence. Waiting to see what happens next here

:stare:

The gently caress?! This one completely slipped by me. Could I trouble you to refresh my memory, or do I not want to risk my bloodpressure?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If we roll back regulations far enough you can beat those diseases by dying in a Bangladesh style factory collapse instead.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Roumba posted:

Is there any kind of period in recent history where there was a prison or jail and it wasn't always nearly full or over-capacity and whoever was in charge said something like: "Well poo poo, I guess we didn't need this big of a place after all, or at least for a good while, make it a lasertag arena for the next 10 years."

This was technically the U.S. in the 70's. Prison populations were dropping so low, there was very serious talk in a lot of states about closing down and demolishing prisons. But the people who make money off prisons didn't like the sound of that, so you get the War on Drugs and the War on Crime and boom, now we're the nation with highest incarceration rates on the planet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Conservative writers say that Palin has finally gone too far with her waterboarding = baptism line, but is there a chance that her usual supporters will also be offended enough to desert her?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

TLM3101 posted:

:stare:

The gently caress?! This one completely slipped by me. Could I trouble you to refresh my memory, or do I not want to risk my bloodpressure?

Montana v. Rambold posted:

¶9
The District Court sentenced Rambold to 15 years’ incarceration with all but 31 days suspended. The court found that Rambold’s violations of the Sexual Offender Treatment Program were not substantial or serious violations justifying the sentence urged by the State. The court also took notice of information it gleaned from interviews with C.M.:
In some respects, the Defendant took advantage of a troubled youth. I’ve looked at those interviews. And it’s easy enough to say the Defendant should have been aware, should not, obviously, have engaged in the conduct that he did. And it was a troubled youth, but a youth that was probably as much in control of the situation as was the Defendant, one that was seemingly, although troubled, older than her chronological age.
After significant public outcry, the District Court apologized, scheduled resentencing, and published an order acknowledging the illegality of Rambold’s sentence under § 46-18-205, MCA. 2

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Whoever it was who coined the term Dunning-Krugerrands in reference to bitcoins deserves a Peabody.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

JonathonSpectre posted:

No biggie, they can just sell the state's parking meters to some Saudi Arabian conglomerate for 75 years to plug this year's budget shortfall caused by all these pesky "economic realities" getting in the way of Taxcutopia.
If you thought it was fun to watch South Philly dudes fight with PPA attendants on Parking Wars, wait until they hear their money is going to Saudi Arabia. Half the people in Philly already believe the rumor (which I'm pretty sure is false) that PPA is a private company that sends all its profits to California.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Conservative writers say that Palin has finally gone too far with her waterboarding = baptism line, but is there a chance that her usual supporters will also be offended enough to desert her?

quote:

"If I thought that kind of hateful declaration and abuse of the Christian religion was what conservatism stood for, I wouldn't be able to call myself a conservative," he writes.

Hate to break it to you, buddy...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Antti posted:

Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed, in that American law enforcement is behaving like a military force.

Yeah...I hear about how the NYPD is like the 5th largest military in the world from a lot of cops and those who apologize for them every time the trample someone's rights..

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hate to break it to you, buddy...

Yeah, I love how conservatives who want to seem "reasonable" are all up in arms about Palin's comment. They're not pissed at her for blaspheming Baptism, they're pissed because Palin chose an even more indelicate way to express what the entire right already feels about the entire Muslim world. They REALLY hate it when their masks are pulled off, and it's happening more and more. Makes me feel all toasty inside. :allears:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, I love how conservatives who want to seem "reasonable" are all up in arms about Palin's comment. They're not pissed at her for blaspheming Baptism, they're pissed because Palin chose an even more indelicate way to express what the entire right already feels about the entire Muslim world. They REALLY hate it when their masks are pulled off, and it's happening more and more. Makes me feel all toasty inside. :allears:

Pretty sure you meant hoods.

You're welcome.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

... Jesus. loving. Christ. :stonk: An actual US Judge wrote an opinion that basically says "The loving slut wanted it, defendant is off the hook". I really did not expect that. What the gently caress is wrong with this man? I hope to whatever higher power there might be that the person handing down this verdict does not have children.

gently caress.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Install Windows posted:

How would the court find it coercive to raise money and give it to the states? You'll really have to show your work there.

Again, you'd need a massive level of popular support to implement this in the first place, which would mean a lack of people with standing to challenge it in court, and the court can't just make decisions without valid cases.

This pretty much describes the PPACA - how could it be coercive to give money to the states to implement a program? The Roberts court still found a way to shoot that down. "What if the Federal government threatens to cut it in the future?" etc. Coerciveness was a huge factor in striking that down.

The Supreme Court is not going to let the Federal government take control of taxation and apportion it back to the states, at least not to the degree of entirely replacing state taxation. It would utterly and permanently disrupt the balance of the "states rights"/federalism dogma that half of the Court subscribes to, and the court is incredibly politicized - most of those judges are going to find a way to justify shutting down whatever Bad Thing Fox News is whining about even if it weren't a direct affront to their philosophy.

Basically I just don't see the court saying "yes" to it unless states have at least one opportunity to withdraw from the taxation and apportionment, along the lines of their ruling on the PPACA Medicaid expansion. Maybe the opportunity to withdraw in any given year. Either way it would really disrupt the whole point of the arrangement, because unlike highway funding the court would proffer the opportunity to avoid the Federal taxation as well as the spending, and the only thing that really encourages states to join this arrangement is the threat of having their citizens doubly-taxed (for no benefit) if they don't.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 30, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paul MaudDib posted:

This pretty much describes the PPACA - how could it be coercive to give money to the states to implement a program? The Roberts court still found a way to shoot that down. "What if the Federal government threatens to cut it in the future?" etc.

Wasn't the reason for that because they were going to cut the existing Medicaid funding?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

This pretty much describes the PPACA - how could it be coercive to give money to the states to implement a program? The Roberts court still found a way to shoot that down. "What if the Federal government threatens to cut it in the future?" etc.

Well, they only give the states 90% of the money eventually. I would think it'd be more like federal highway laws? There's this money available for this if you meet these conditions, take it or leave it. There's some logic behind it.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

computer parts posted:

Wasn't the reason for that because they were going to cut the existing Medicaid funding?

Yes, and that was the provision of Medicaid expansion the Court struck out.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Saki posted:

What on earth is going on in Louisiana to skew those incarceration rates so highly?

You should absolutely read that series I posted earlier because they get into depth about it but here's a bit that will explain part of it:

quote:

With little oversight from the Department of Corrections, sheriffs wheel and deal among themselves for inmates. Cupp and other rural north Louisiana wardens drum up business with daily rounds of phone calls to their suppliers -- urban areas such as New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Shreveport that produce more criminals than their own jails can hold. The mad scramble to build prisons has become a mad scramble for inmates.

Like hotels, prisons operating on per-diem payments must stay near 100 percent occupancy to survive. The political pressure to keep beds full is a contributing factor to the state's world-leading incarceration rate. No other state comes close to Louisiana's 53 percent rate of state inmates in local prisons, and few lobbies in Louisiana are as powerful as the sheriffs association.

What is good for the sheriff can be bad, even tragic, for the inmate. Local prisons, which generally keep those with sentences of fewer than 10 years, are bare-bones operations without the array of educational and vocational programs that are standard at state prisons. Inmates caught up in the wardens' daily bartering can be transferred arbitrarily, sometimes losing chances at a GED certificate or a work-release job when they land at another facility. Plumbers and auto mechanics are valuable commodities, given up by one warden as a favor to another.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/in_world_of_prisons_some_rural.html

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

TLM3101 posted:

... Jesus. loving. Christ. :stonk: An actual US Judge wrote an opinion that basically says "The loving slut wanted it, defendant is off the hook". I really did not expect that. What the gently caress is wrong with this man? I hope to whatever higher power there might be that the person handing down this verdict does not have children.

gently caress.

I hate this loving country so much. I hope I make enough money to leave this shithole before we start World War 3. Nothing will ever get better and it will always get worse. The rest of the world is heading down the shitter fast too but at least they're not already 10 feet down the loving pipe like we are.

Oh hey the latest news out of the country of Cliven Bundy? The militias set up armed checkpoints near his property.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I somehow missed this story earlier, but it kinda ties into that crazy rear end in a top hat in Minnesota that executed those teenagers.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/suspect-in-big-sky-student-s-shooting-gets-death-threats/article_fdaccb9c-d005-11e3-a429-0019bb2963f4.html

quote:

Missoula shooting suspect gets death threats

A western Montana man charged in the shooting death of a 17-year-old exchange student in his garage is receiving death threats and is afraid to leave his home, the man’s attorney said Tuesday.

Markus Kaarma, 29, was released from jail Monday after posting a $30,000 bond on a charge of deliberate homicide in the death of Diren Dede of Hamburg, Germany. Since then, Kaarma, his partner, Janelle Pflager, and their 10-month-old baby won’t leave their Missoula home after receiving the threats, attorney Paul Ryan said.

Just days before the shooting, Kaarma told a woman that his house had been burglarized a couple of times and he had been waiting up for three nights with his shotgun to shoot “some f------ kid,” court records said.

Prosecutors allege Kaarma set up sensors outside their garage and a video-monitoring system in the garage. They left the garage door open late Saturday, and Pflager said she put personal items that she had cataloged in a purse in the garage “so that they would take it.”

Kaarma told investigators he heard the sensors go off early Sunday, spotted someone in the garage on the video and went outside with his shotgun.

He said he feared the intruder would hurt him. He did not shout out to the person inside before sweeping the garage with four shotgun blasts, charging documents allege.

He straight up murdered a kid and now wants everyone to feel bad for him because the internet is mean.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A series of fantastically bad ideas.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hate this loving country so much. I hope I make enough money to leave this shithole before we start World War 3. Nothing will ever get better and it will always get worse. The rest of the world is heading down the shitter fast too but at least they're not already 10 feet down the loving pipe like we are.

Oh hey the latest news out of the country of Cliven Bundy? The militias set up armed checkpoints near his property.

Huh? Are there like, local police and governements there?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mcmagic posted:

Huh? Are there like, local police and governements there?

Not since the government knuckled under, no, since we wouldn't want to give them what they want by, say, keeping armed gangs from terrorizing the locals.

Letting the militias take over the area sure did de-escalate that situation, I'm sure they'll totally arrest him the next time he steps into a non-militia controlled grocery store for supplies!

(wait, no, he has lackeys to do that for him now)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 30, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not since the government knuckled under, no, since we wouldn't want to give them what they want by, say, keeping armed gangs from terrorizing the locals.

But those people that gave up were federal agents from the BLM... What about the local police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean, what are the militia groups' long term plans here? Are they just going to settle down in Bunkerville for good, make it a fortified community and declare their secession from the United States or something? I'm pretty sure we're all expecting them to get bored and leave eventually.

• Locked thread